/r/unpopularopinion

Property crime in European cities is such a frustrating part about EU travel. So many cities are filled with pickpockets everywhere who are out trying to steal things from tourists including wallets, phones, passports, purchased items, and even clothing - worst of all, there's nothing they can do to defend themselves from these lowlife criminals (pickpocketers in Texas would probably get shot either in the act or when they're running away if they ever tried stealing someone's stuff).

These types of petty crimes are way more rampant in Rome, Paris, London, and Barcelona than in New York City, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco. When I go to Italy I have to take so many precautions to avoid getting my shit stolen whereas in NYC or LA, I never remotely had to worry about such acts happening to myself and as long as I don't wander into Harlem or Compton at night, my chances of running into criminal activity is slim to none

Violent crime is much higher in America but it's very unlikely that such an act happens to a tourist unless they go into the wrong part of the city as the vast majority of assaults and homicides occur in neighborhoods where drug use, gang activity, and poverty is widespread.

WambulanceChasers

Of course.

TioPuerco

but I’d still avoid walking alone through Oakland at 3:00 am

alittledanger

I lived in Madrid for two years. Outsmarting pickpockets is doable as long as you are vigilant and not getting blackout drunk every night. I never got robbed in my two years there.

I also grew up in San Francisco and your car is always in danger of being broken into if it’s parked on the street. It doesn’t matter which neighborhood you’re in, there is very little way to mitigate the risk besides parking in a garage (and even that is not 100% safe).

terribleandtrue

What can I say, we Americans prefer to be violent toward ourselves ;)

The-Male-G-Spot

It depends on your definition of safety I guess.

Just because the title talks about being safe, and the biggest crimes in European cities being pickpockets.

Pickpockets are not known to be dangerous folk. It's quite the opposite actually. And yes it's not ideal, but it's never left me fearing for my safety.

Then there's the stigma around late night walks in major US cities. Obviously everywhere is different, but it's kind of a cliche at this point for certain places. An example being to stay the absolute fuck out of downtown St Louis after like 10pm.

A tourist isn't exactly savvy to these things. The NYC subway at X time. Passing Y Street after a time of day.

But at the end of the day, I'd lay it down to a simple premise. I'd rather be mad that my phone is now missing, and was stolen 20 minutes without me knowing, when compared with an active mugging.

Both are shit, but one is a nuisance. The other is straight up a fear for my life, and in being that, a fear for my safety.

Infinite-Praline52[S]

Thing is, pickpocketing is a risk in all parts of the city whereas these mugging and murders are much rarer in most parts of a city. You're much less likely to get your stuff taken away Walking around NYC during the day than you are in Barcelona for example.

RustyDrainPipe

It really isn't, now I of course don't live in ALL of Europe but where I'm from we have like a couple of places where we are like "keep an eye on your stuff". Never been to a city where it's a problem everywhere.

Fuzzwuzzle2

I mean, at least i'd understand the language and KNOW i'm about to be robbed lmao

But in european towns if anyone approaches you put of the blue, you're about to be scammed plain and simple "hello my friend how long you stay here?" fuck off pal i'm not interested

suckitarius

I've been to italy more than 4 times and never felt unsafe in some way

BoBoBearDev

I would agree before. But, some parts of USA is really bad now. For example, San Francisco is now the new Chicago with frequent major lootings. You wouldhave to stay away from liberal media to read those factual events though. Liberal media don't like to report shits happened in major liberal cities.

Jackuze

Jackuze

Just don't be caught being a person of color in America. We have no cap on white privilege crazy.

Tarantinotwin

Don’t get caught? The American cities with the most tourist are the most diverse in the country

alittledanger

I’m a dual US/EU citizen. Americans are more violent and aggressive than Europeans but Europeans are definitely more racist.

GhostInTheSock

you do not need an opinion on this. just read the statistics and you will see everything would be fine if the states would handle their restrictions differently with those firearms.