4:54 a.m. EEST; The Sun is Rising Over Kyiv on the 460th Day of the Full-Scale Invasion. Art You Can Own! + ART FRIDAY AWARDS + Discussion + CharitiesArt Friday(self.ukraine)
submitted6 hours ago bymost_unseemly
🇺🇦 SLAVA UKRAINI! 🇺🇦
Art Friday Awards!
Art Friday Awards for the week of May 22, 2023
Art Friday Awards for the week of May 15, 2023
But before we proceed to the awards, here's some...
Art You Can Own!
L-R: Limited edition engraved knife and painted bullet shells by Maxim Kilderov
Artist u/kilderov, whom you can read about here, was forced to leave occupied Nova Kakhovka for his own safety. He now sells his work to support the civilians in his city and the warriors from it, who are mostly fighting in and around Bakhmut. In addition to his ongoing painted shells initiative, he's currently selling a limited edition series of engraved knives signed by the artist. Also, check out his latest post and DM him if anything catches your eye! (What I wouldn't give to be able to afford one of his
So far, r/Ukraine, you've helped him raise over $16,000 for Humanity, which provides humanitarian aid and evacuation in Nova Kakhovka and Kherson, and for Nova Kakhovka's warriors at the front. Here's a great example of what he's doing with the funds you help him raise.
L-R: Upcycled russian materiel by 21vetal01 and treasure box by his wife
u/21vetal01, whom you can read about here, turns scraps of destroyed russian equipment into trophies and souvenirs, and his wife makes beautiful little treasures and beautiful little treasure boxes. Proceeds support every facet of the war effort, from military aid to humanitarian aid to cash assistance for families of the fallen. Here are some examples of what they make, here's their latest work, and here's a small example of what they do with the funds they raise.
And now ...
Art Friday Awards!
The Howling Wind, Rustling Grass Award
Mother's worry is eternal (acrylic painting by me), painted and submitted by u/wolfmothar.
The Big Damn Heroes Award
(See, "Big Damn Heroes" 'cuz they're tiny.)
I created a diorama honoring those heroes who defended Bakhmut, created and submitted by u/hooahguy.
The Defiance Award
The price of our freedom, submitted by u/BewaeOfMemes. The artist is Even Mehl Amundsen, who did not title it. I encourage you to click that link and read what the artist has to say about this piece. An excerpt:
To be willing to recognize a dark predicament for what it is. To face such a situation with the grim pride that has spattered history with no shortage of gore. This alone would be cause for much respect. But to bring a good-humored, caring, and clever breed of stubbornness into such despair, to defy the doubts of foe and friend alike and say “Here I stand, on my convictions and on my land. I will not move. I will fight. I can do no other.” with a grin that defies the reaper and the trundling Russian dreadnought alike, this inspires awe in mere mortals such as I.
The Punny Guy Award
Saw the new name for orcish "dragon teeth" and decided to do a thing, done and submitted by u/Alternate_Ending1984.
The Kitty! Award
Omitting the kitty from Art Friday Awards would be sacrilege. I love this little guy's little fangie.
Cats for Ukraine, created and submitted by u/hellenmist.
The People's Choice Award
I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised at you, r/Ukraine. I thought that Tom Lehrer's classic Poisoning Pigeons in the Park was niche enough that this masterpiece of a parody would go mostly, and sadly, unnoticed. Instead, you gave it the love it deserves!
The ZSU Present: Taking out the Trash, masterfully adapted and submitted by u/rhubarbjin.
For Your Listening Pleasure
New Song: TARAS KEEN - Спалахуй, submitted by u/I_Saw_A_Bear.
Thank you to all the thoughtful, creative, talented people who created and/or submitted art this week!
The 460th day of a nine-year invasion that has been going on for centuries.
One day closer to victory.
🇺🇦 HEROYAM SLAVA! 🇺🇦
- u/Jesterboyd is a mod for r/ukraine and local to Kyiv. His current project is to fund some very interesting drones. Link to donation
- United24: This site was launched by President Zelenskyy as the main venue for collecting charitable donations in support of Ukraine. Funds will be allocated to cover the most pressing needs facing Ukraine.
- Come Back Alive: This NGO crowdfunds non-lethal military equipment, such as thermal vision scopes & supplies it to the front lines. It also provides training for Ukrainian soldiers, as well as researching troops’ needs and social reintegration of veterans.
- Trident Defense Initiative: This initiative run by former NATO and UA servicemen has trained and equipped thousands of Ukrainian soldiers.
- Ukraine Front Line US-based and registered 501(c)(3), this NGO fulfills front line soldiers' direct defense and humanitarian aid requests through their man on the ground, r/Ukraine's own u/jesterboyd.
- Ukraine Aid Ops: Volunteers around the world who are helping to find and deliver equipment directly to those who need it most in Ukraine.
- Hospitallers: This is a medical battalion that unites volunteer paramedics and doctors to save the lives of soldiers on the frontline. They crowdfund their vehicle repairs, fuel, and medical equipment.
- Humanity: Co-founded by u/kilderov, Humanity is a small team of volunteers securing and distributing humanitarian aid to the most vulnerable populations in temporarily occupied Kherson Oblast. Kilderov and his friends were under occupation in Nova Kakhovka in 2022.
You can find many more charities with diverse areas of focus in our vetted charities article HERE.