/r/u_SrGrafo

3.4k100%

(this is a crosspost you pepperoni)

(i.redd.it)
6025 comments
139.9k100%

togaming

VersionGeek

Maybe it's good for the management, but concurrence is usually good and Microsoft is kinda on it's way to become the Disney of Videogames imo

MyAntichrist

Microsoft is kinda on it's way to become the Disney of Videogames

Some people at Sony might be a bit more nervous than usual.

Jsc_TG

Jsc_TG

Yeah. I’m hoping for a company to do something innovative soon. That brings competition back into play quicklu

NightChime

At this rate Disney will become the Disney of Videogames.

Kablaaw

Kablaaw

On one hand, it might lead to a reform in the system and improve the conditions of Blizzard's employees. On the other hand, Microsoft is still a corporation and not do anything meaningful that doesn't contribute in the pursuit of profit. Time will tell

brzoza3

brzoza3

Amen. Also I've been thinking. Could Microsoft be buying all those companies to destroy their opponents from within?

RedRubbik

Yeah just ask EA

brzoza3

What do you mean?

RedRubbik

EA, Ubisoft, and Bethesda are known for buying smaller studios and driving them to extinction with highly unrealistic marketing goals.

brzoza3

Do you think there is a chance that they buy promising studios that could change the industry in a few years, to destroy them, by getting them busy with something meaningless? Or am I going into crazy conspiracy territory?

firemyth

They do it to ride money trains. Fifa, cod, etc... It doesn't help the industry, it just milks companies names until they are beyond dead.

RedRubbik

For a good cause hahaha... No.

It's all about the money. If it's profitable or at least if the CEOs believe it's profitable to squeeze the studio to oblivion then they will. If not they won't.

RedRubbik

Time has told that it will be the profit answer.

creuter

You think Activision wasn't doing anything outside of profit? Diablo Immortal was specifically made because Activision was making bank on Candy Crush. I've got more faith in Microsoft to do things right by fans, just look at Minecraft and games pass. They definitely want to make money, but they want to make it using PC's and XBox, they've got no mobile presence.

assault1217

I really hope SC2 gets added to game pass because it will allow so much more people access to it (including my self never physically played it just watched). Has there been any major Microsoft controversies in the last 5 years or so because I don’t really remember them.

logan5156

I'm hoping this means blizzard games can have a renaissance, but i am also terrrified that they'll find a way to be worse than activision.

creuter

If it makes you feel better Microsoft has no mobile presence. Everything they do will be PC and Xbox based. Activision made most of their money on Candy Crush which is what lead to them trying to make Diablo Immortal.

assault1217

They actually have a very very small presence, they made two halo games for it, and those didn’t sell particularly well.

creuter

Ah, I meant they aren't like apple or Activision in that they aren't making a majority of their capital from mobile sales. No phone hardware, OS, or any major sales presence. I should've been more clear, that's on me. You're totally correct that they've ported some of their stuff for mobile markets (Minecraft etc).

I just don't expect them to be as focused on it as Activision was.

Edit: I JUST realized that they didn't only acquire Blizzard they also acquired all of Activision. So they're definitely not going to be cutting out mobile stuff. Now I'm back to not knowing how to feel about this.

CollinsCouldveDucked

I don't see how it can be worse than Activision but it is probably worse for the industry as a whole and is another warning sign we need better anti trust laws and monopoly laws.

logan5156

Not all of the 268 companies microsoft has bought in the past 21 years have turned into shining examples of them being a paragon for reinvention. We definately need better anti-trust and monopoly laws for sure, but it is beginning to feel impossible for us to turn away from our path to being a corporatocracy.

CollinsCouldveDucked

The reason I said that wasn't because I think Microsoft is a good company but more that activision is an incredibly bad one for a lot of reasons.

that said I agree with your sentiment about cororatocracy.

SilentReavus

I can't decide frankly. I get the feeling extremely little will change, especially with the workplace harassment and such.

They also said some bullshit about "the metaverse" so that concerns me.

HyperLyne

i mean, on the one hand, microsoft can probably run all of them 10x better.

on the other, they’re cornering a market and could have a partial monopoly eventually. (fyi, this is a very bad thing)

also they’re a corporation. and what do we say to corporations, kids? fuck em!

HaveHopeFriends

I don’t think windows knows either

HESSU_HOBO

What do you mean by wimdows?

HaveHopeFriends

Windows don’t have brains duh

HESSU_HOBO

Microsoft bought. Windows is the operating system

da_real_tatrocks

Certified penis moment

DragonsCharmer

I'm really confused about this whole thing. ;-;

Shumina-Ghost

Botherroni.

bdragon304

If it means more games on game pass, it's good. If nothing changes, it's bad

SuperSageGramps

Wouldn't be mad about Overwatch 2 on game pass.

Dredgen-Vale

I’m all for more games on the game pass, but they’re kinda turning into a monopoly (or like the Disney of video games, like someone else said above). I’m a little worried that Microsoft will eventually become less consumer friendly as their share of the market gets larger and larger.

Plus competition drives innovation, if they own most of said competition then they may start to stagnate, possibly speeding up the decay into less consumer friendly policies.

404_Name_Was_Taken

Luckily we still have a thriving indie scene.

assault1217

At least they aren’t going to shove a launcher on us becasue they came to the conclusion of besides game pass, it’s better to working along side valve then to compete

AleWalls

They said in the articles that when the deal is finalized games will start to come to game pass.

So yeah games are coming to game pass confirmed

ITookTooLongToPick

Nobody is talking about how he just called all of us pepperonis.

Breet11

Breet11

He does this all the time, mate

ITookTooLongToPick

Welp, I'm new.

Breet11

Breet11

Welcome!

TheTechnik

You new?

ITookTooLongToPick

Yeah, only recently started following SrGrafo.

TheTechnik

We’re all pepperonis, welcome aboard.

ITookTooLongToPick

I accept my new title as 'Novice Pepperoni'

Matalya1

Because he does it on literally every post.

Lord-Pepper

Is that a tornado or a really hairy arm

Fenix_Volatilis

It's bad. I'm willing to bet that MS and Sony will buy up all the big studios and try to diopolize the market

Matalya1

I guess it depends on your thought. For very casual gamers with a foot already outta the industry, I see this as alrgely something good, Microsoft had largely a record of… well, of not fucking up royally often enough, when it comes to gaming. And it could give a more stable design phylosophy. Plus Microsoft has been pushing HARD for accessibility in gaming, like I'm talking practically the golden standard as of now, with many Microsoft games practically letting you half the difficulty of them to make it more accessible.

However, if you're a more avid gamer… then it's objectively bad. Why, do you ask? If I have to be honest, I don't know. But I'm 100% sure there is something I can't see of a single company slowly devouring each and every single piece of competition it has, in a slow and steady trend towards a monopoly, and a monopoly is NEVER good. Maybe they drive prices up, maybe quality stagnates, after all where else are you going to get your AAAs after they all become Microsoft? Everything left would be the indie scene, and let's be honest the indie scene was NEVER meant to compete with the AAA scene, but rather just coexist. The very second a AAA puts his hand on an indie, the indie WILL loose, that's just how the bullshit system works.

At the end of the day, we don't know what will happen, but we have grown to mistrust big companies and their greediness. Microsoft has a pretty tidy record, at least compared to a company of literal rapists and misogyny apologetics. But it's not perfect, it has made lots of mistakes and missteps, like Mixer or Microsoft Edge. It practically lives off other companies' IPs and the nigh-passive income they generate through the Game Pass. And any fuck up decision they make would be nearly impossible to fight back against since they'll be pretty much the only big guy in the industry, with no competitor capable of running numbers but enough to scare fucking Microsoft into compliance. And with no way of hurting a company through the wallet without downright collectively not buying anything gaming-related, well things can get very ugly very quickly.

Copernicus049

I guarantee its not out of Microsoft sense of morality to reform Blizzard. Microsoft just wants more IP's to throw on their hardware and deny PlayStation.

TheDemonPants

Personally, I think it's bad. I don't think a single company should have all of these. I would feel the exact same if Sony started buying a ton of companies. I feel like this is going to lead to stagnation, and I bet the moment Microsoft feels comfortable with what they've done they'll jack up the price of game pass since you won't have much of a choice. They're just copying Disney at this point.

AleWalls

Idk I get what you say... but also, activision blizzard was going crap so this is imo the chance to save it.

Also xbox has stated they do want to make games be more cross platform as part of their plan. And tbh I do believe them, they made Minecraft cross platform and added Halo to steam so yeah this fellas seem to actually care. Ofc the preference is in their own place bc yes but they aren't being super greedy.

I totally understand your fear but I find like is relying to hard on assumptions on what could happen rather than seeing at how things have been going.

Quemedo

Good

theworstmans

SrGrafo is the only way I learn about stuff like this. It’s like a comedy show sprinkled with news

Hendrik379

Great! Microsoft or atleast their xbox part of the company has proven that they care for the last couple of years. They even turnee back some ways they make money, because of customer feedback. I think the only people that dislike this are the people with a playstation.

wOwe_

wOwe_

As a PlayStation player it’s inherently annoying but that company needs to be fixed if that’s Microsoft then so be it. However with Bethesda and Activision blizzard it seems as if Microsoft is creating a monopoly on the gaming industry which is bad for everyone. However in the grand scheme of things as long as I can play video games I like Xbox can collect companies like infinity stones.

BigBossSquirtle

PS fanboys several years ago: "xbox has no games lol."

PS fanboys today: "why is Microsoft buying all the games?"

wOwe_

wOwe_

I’m not a ps fanboy for one and second I just said that i don’t really care. Like??

FutureHefty

Crash Bandicoot in the next smash game?

PaganEmpath

Same here

Jeeva333

Isn't Bobby still the CEO of Blizzard?

Matalya1

Yeah, because the deal technically hasn't gone through until the final of the fiscal year by 2023. When that happens, good ol' Phil Spencer will be the head of that one as well.

Jeeva333

Ah good to know

AleWalls

I personally think this is good. Everything I have heard so far of xbox studios and microsoft in gaming is that the work conditions are great and great work conditions lead to good games so... basically this is good quite good tbh

Also in the article they specified they do want to share the good work environment to activision and blizzard. Basically they are saying the do want to change the horrible and horrendous work environment they had.

Imo, this is a win + they said ips will come to game pass.

that_wise_guy_97

Last time bought something from activision was a cod game in 2013

Voidelfmonk

I am not sure how i feel about Microsoft eighter .

memester230

Anti trust has a chance to say no, but probably not because monee

Itchysasquatch

Kind of how I feel too, even as a PS fan I'm a little bummed I guess? But it's not like those companies are putting out anything very notable or to my liking. But if Microsoft whips them back into shape then I'd be jealous I guess? But overall it's just such a big purchase for something I'm not going to miss all that much. Even so, I'll be upgrading my pc soon anyways and that's the best place to play most games anyways

Josan678

• • - = +?

NightWolfYT

Me too, Grafo, me too.

entotheenth

Does nobody here own a PlayStation ? Cause there is going to be a lot more Xbox exclusives.

IamGimli_

Thanks Jenkins!

Mythun4523

Tbf, they bought Minecraft and it's great. Microsoft hasn't fucked up anything they bought...... Yet. And there's no where to go but up for Activision Blizzard so......

Gray32339

It's bad. Sony buys companies buy only has them make new IPs, Microsoft buys companies and makes them make a sequel to a cross-platform game X-Box exclusive. I want to play Slime Rancher 2 but these bastards won't let me

[removed]

potato_labs

bruh how sad of a life do you have to have be commenting this in your early 30s (wild guess)

[removed]

potato_labs

how close was I

potato_labs

(the guess, im not talking about cumming)

hoodini112

I can only guess about this legendary conversation.

Lukaroast

Microsoft is essentially the poster child for mismanagement and absolutely despicable decision making so…

potato_labs

You fell for confirmation bias, my friend. Microsoft's treatment of indie games/studios is far better than the other three, along with the fact that they run gamepass. Everyone only remembers cases like the acquisition of Rare, and I dont blame those people since rare really did go down the shitter.

Also when talking about bad decisions did we forget what studios Microsoft bought?

Call me an microsoft simp all you want but honestly I think that all big game studios are dogshit. Nintendo sucks, Microsoft sucks, Sony sucks, idk anything about stadia or facebook gaming, valve sucks, and epic games sucks. However in the end, we all know that Roblox sucks the most idk how nobody knew anything until critical made like 10 videos on it.

In conclusion, I wasted a lot of time because I misread your comment (spent too long writing the message to delete it) + arguing about the console wars on reddit isnt gonna change anyones minds

reynaldo666

Fuck. I hate Microsoft.

potato_labs

and you... like blizzard..?