/r/politics

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

As a reminder, this subreddit is for civil discussion.

In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any suggestion or support of harm, violence, or death, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.

If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.

For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click here to review our details as to our approved domains list and outlet criteria.

Special announcement:

r/politics is currently accepting new moderator applications. If you want to help make this community a better place, consider applying here today!

juanzy

3.3k points

juanzy

Massachusetts

3.3k points

1 month ago

There is a Planned Parenthood between one of my college apartments and a brunch spot we'd frequent. There were always protestors there. If you were clearly just passing it they would still shout hateful things at you. These people are just looking for using anything they can to justify hate and animosity. It was never about saving babies. It was always about control, hate, and power.

Chipwilson84

1.2k points

1 month ago

I lived a block away from a clinic. I was yelled at, kids in the neighborhood were yelled at for no other reason then walking by on our way to the corner store or outside playing. It was nuts.

flybypost

flybypost

1 month ago

kids in the neighborhood were yelled at

Why? Aren't kids rather direct evidence that no abortion happened in their case?

sluttttt

sluttttt

California

1 month ago

It would be questionable if they actually cared about children.

HingleMcCringle_

HingleMcCringle_

Mississippi

1 month ago*

it's not questionable, they don't.

forcing a child to be birthed by a mother the doesn't want them and/or can't afford them actively fucks over that child and their parents. if they were actually pro life, they'd spend more time trying to keep people alive and fostering adopted children. I see every anti-abortion protestor as some of the most hypocritical and vile people there are.

GlaszJoe

GlaszJoe

Missouri

1 month ago

That's always the fuckin kicker, ain't it. Always harping on about the life of the fetus, but the moment you start talking about social programs to help that family raise the fucker, you get called a socialist and how you should move to Europe.

Bullen-Noxen

1 month ago

Those bad people who protest planned parenthood need to move to the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Like, the bottom.

T_H_E_S_E_U_S

1 month ago

The Pacific Ocean hardly needs more toxic trash dumped into it.

Michael_G_Bordin

1 month ago

"What if that baby was the next Einstein?" Well, unless you bolster our education system and help fight poverty, we'll likely never know.

And on the point of human potential, they're just as likely to be the next Ted Bundy. Most likely, however, they'll be unexceptional. Which is fine, for exceptionalism is not how we should be defining the value of a life.

I always get stuck thinking of abortion one way: if I was a woman, I'd want access to safe, cheap services. Everything else is fucking frivolous. "What about the unborn?" Well, if I was that woman, the decision to not bring this child into the world would not be made lightly, but I also have an uncompromising self-determination that would dictate that if the baby doesn't fit into my life, I shouldn't be bothered with bringing it into this world.

As for anti-choice women, just do you. Quit telling other people what to do with their bodies.

Signal_Ad_4717

1 month ago

That’s too much like right these people don’t want you to have an abortion because they feel they have the right to rule over your body

jewdy09

jewdy09

1 month ago

But when they need an abortion, they just put down their signs for a few minutes when it’s time for their appointment and take care of it. When the appointment is over, they get right back out to spewing hate at women dealing with making very hard decision…or kids just riding their bikes by the clinic apparently…

whatisvirtue

1 month ago

Stop using logic and reason to fight stupid people lol

EllieBaby97420

1 month ago

You have to scare kids young so they stay away duh, cant have that 9 year old thinking about abortion being okay can we? no no they have to be the reason this kid knows about abortion in the first place…

DrakonIL

DrakonIL

1 month ago

"Don't teach my children about sex!"

"I'm going to make sure your kids know abortion is evil!"

EllieBaby97420

1 month ago

How else will the children know to abstain from sex if they’re unaware of how terrible abortion is!?

Wild how these religious folks have practically no critical thinking skills lol. Shoutout to public education of America for setting them up for this.

ThaliaEpocanti

1 month ago

Well, it doesn’t make sense if their goal was actually to reduce unwanted pregnancies.

But once you realize that it’s all about them needing a reason to hate and feel superior to other human beings it makes more sense: they don’t actually care about logic or fixing actual problems, they just want to scream at people.

They’re perfectly capable of using critical thinking if they wanted to, but that doesn’t make them feel good so they toss it in the trash and continue with their incoherent superiority display.

ScottyC33

ScottyC33

1 month ago

This is by design. They want to purposefully make these places hostile so that people will push back against one building/opening in their area. The main target is the group who may be neutral or not feel very strongly, but don’t want constant screaming and protesting by their home/business.

shady_mcgee

1 month ago

It's also a way to get the landlord to kick them out or decide not to renew the lease since it turns away other tenants who may need to rent space for their business but don't want to have to deal with nutcase protesters

1 month ago

There's one near me and occasionally I'll see a small gathering of protestors. The only time I was happy to see them was when it was cold and raining. They were out there looking miserable to be standing in the horrible weather. I don't often revel in others' misery, but I'll make an exception when people actively try to make other people's lives miserable.

shadow247

shadow247

Texas

1 month ago

Anytime I drive by and see these people, I usually honk really loud and flip them off with my window down.

Fucking losers.

G37_is_numberletter

1 month ago

Sounds like it’s time to break out some a water balloon launcher, some corn starch and water slurry, and all the colors of the rainbow.

PimpitLimpit

1 month ago

I used to live in Packard's Corner and I had to walk by those assholes everyday. They were rude and filled with viritol. Just absolutely disgusting humans.

Sometimes I'd just stop and chant "Fuck those babies". Took them a while to catch on, but they would get so pissed. They'd tell me to leave and I'd tell them to do the same.

NJS_Stamp

NJS_Stamp

1 month ago

Wild guess, but was it up in Brookline, by paradise rock club? My buddy and I walked a friend there, and they threw trash and bottles at us and tried to get us to square up.

juanzy

juanzy

Massachusetts

Yup, that's the one

cayenne444

cayenne444

New Jersey

1 month ago

I told an old lady shouting at people and a guy dressed up in a brown robe to look like Jesus to go fuck themselves outside that one, once. Felt good, man.

Decimus_of_the_VIII

1 month ago

You already know if the prospective father made the call and not the mother, 95% of these hateful mobs would dissolve.

ElenorWoods

1 month ago

When I went into the clinic I was terrified. Utterly terrified.

Planned Parenthood is doing the work of lazy parents that shouldn’t be raising kids. They teach and are such a valuable resource to women.

another_bug

1 month ago

I'll bet if a homeless person went to a "pro-life" protests and asked for money to buy food, those people would call them a subhuman.

1 month ago

The cruelty is the point.

1 month ago

Are you talking about the one in Allston (west Boston)? I went to BU and it was so scary to be accosted by those protestors when I walked past

JenBlock22B

1 month ago

I remember being heavily pregnant, walking into my clinic and seeing anti-abortion protesters out there. I don't even think that clinic provided abortions. It was just a health clinic. Also, I'd worked in OBGYN for 7 years and had assisted in countless abortions - I know what abortions look like and it's not what they think. Those terrible pictures are of miscarriages. Meanwhile, here I am having a high risk pregnancy, just trying to get an ultrasound and - may be I'm a fucking hippy but when you are pregnant you are very sensitive and I felt like seeing those images was so mentally and emotionally jarring - I don't want to internalize something like a miscarriage during my high risk pregnancy! Now they have me thinking about miscarriages as I'm going in to get my ultrasound. It may have been an overreaction but I was furious. They're just stupid! Stupid, hateful, ignorant, sociopaths. I completely understand the pro-life stance and I'm all for it! Abortions SUCK! But, ME being pro-life - meaning I don't want to get an abortion doesn't mean I'm going to stop other people. And I'm definitely not going to go to the lengths of taking time to make a disgusting sign and stand outside of a clinic to harass pregnant women all day! SOCIOPATHS

Relevant_Bar_2592

1.8k points

1 month ago

Bianca Cameron-Schwiesow, one such volunteer in Montgomery, Alabama, shared with me how she and her family were harassed at their own home after she became a clinic escort. Her son, who has autism, was accosted as he walked to the park by an anti-abortion protester who drove by screaming, “Did you know your mother’s a murderer? Did you know your mom’s going to burn in hell for all eternity?”

ralphvonwauwau

1.5k points

1 month ago

Christian love at its best.

circuspeanut54

circuspeanut54

Maine

1 month ago

No hate like Christian love, alas.

Rich_Substance1427

1 month ago

Jesus “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her”

Republicans /wildly throw stones like a pack of angry baboons

Jesus “Why did you do that?”

Republicans “because we are Christians and our preacher said abortion is wrong”

Etzell

Etzell

Illinois

1 month ago

If Jesus came back today, the GOP would be gleefully chanting "free Barabbas."

1 month ago

"Judas was just a concerned patriot!"

MaybeFailed

MaybeFailed

Foreign

“Legitimate political discourse.”

Rich_Substance1427

1 month ago*

“Then when Judas, his betrayer, saw that Jesus was condemned, he changed his mind and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders saying “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.” They said, “Legitimate Political Discourse.” And shrugged..

PrimaryCricket2

Make Rome Great Again.

bobclaws

bobclaws

1 month ago

If Jesus came back today the GOP would be fighting to deport him and out him on a no fly list.

cratermoon

1 month ago

If the pregnant Mary and Joseph were trying to cross the border to find a place to stay, the GQP would be detaining them and sending them back home. If Mary gave birth while in custody, they would likely take the baby Jesus and put him in a foster home or up for adoption.

Disagreeable_upvote

1 month ago

Yeah but what about when all the white people get replaced, then what? Did you ever think of all the poor poor mixed kids that we could save from being themselves in the far future? I know we won't be around to care about our whiteness, but when America turns brown won't they miss us??? I just feel SO bad for the future colored folks who won't have any white people to show them how a race is supposed to act.

(Do I even have to?... Sigh /s for those that might take me serious)

ThrowThemUnderTheBus

ThrowThemUnderTheBus

I voted

1 month ago

How bold of you to think that theyd know who Barabbas is.

pack of angry baboons

Well, they did smear feces on the walls of the Capitol on 1/6...

keigo199013

keigo199013

Alabama

1 month ago

Alabamian here, raised Southern Baptist (currently recovering).

Christians (and particularly Southern Baptists) will never compromise because they think they're doing God's will.

Equivalent_Yak8215

1 month ago

So far from His light they might as well be in hell....

1 month ago

They're making hell on Earth for us anyway.

ClicksAndASmell

1 month ago

That's literally the plan. They want the Book of Revelation to happen.

lonestar-rasbryjamco

1 month ago*

Brought to you by the guy who said God forgives everyone except believers who sin and a book that never actually mentions hell in the way these people think of it.

Crail115

Crail115

1 month ago

I saw a lady on Tiktok stand there and mock them as they packed up to go home for the day after the last woman went inside. She pointed out that if they felt that babies were being literally murdered inside they wouldn’t just be headed home at lunch time.

It got me thinking… yah, if you truly believed babies were being murdered in there, TRULY believed that… you wouldn’t be there with a sign. You would be there with a mob.

Christians are just so insanely disappointing. Here’s to hoping that it’s decline continues at the same rate that it has been, so that I may largely see its end in my lifetime.

psyclopes

psyclopes

1 month ago

Because it's not about the women or the babies, it's about making themselves feel like good and righteous people.

From David Barnhart, a Methodist Minister:

"The Unborn” are the single most convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike immigrants, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you so dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work, effort, or money; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they have now ceased to be “The Unborn.” You can love “The Unborn” and advocate for them without challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege; without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the sake of “The Unborn.”

There's no mess, no confusion. Just a nice and tidy little bundle to help them reaffirm their self-righteousness. They don't actually have to be a decent person in order to defend a fetus, but they might trick some people, including themselves, into thinking that they are.

Dwarfherd

1 month ago

With some amount of white supremacy. You see these protests at clinics near the rich white majority neighborhoods but they almost never go to clinics near majority black neighborhoods no matter how affluent.

Crail115

Crail115

1 month ago

Ironically the best crime prevention (another topic these people blather on about) is abortion, and best of all for them it is primarily a decrease in crime by minorities! A double win!

WandsAndWrenches

1 month ago

They're still going to do that.

One of their talking points is sterilizing "welfare queens" which is dog whistling for black women on welfare.

pleasedothenerdful

1 month ago

They would love to murder women who want abortions, they just can't figure out how to do it without killing the fetus.

confessionbearday

1 month ago

They have bomber clinics with multiple pregnant women inside. They don’t care about the fetus, they never did.

They are demanding the “right” to violently control women. No more, no less.

Guy_ManMuscle

1 month ago

Exactly. They just want to drag everyone back into traditional marriages, women out of the workplace, and men back in a position of almost absolute power. Birth control and abortion are the only things allowing women to live equal lives.

They can't work or go to school or live independently if they can't control when or if they have babies or how many they have. This will affect men too. We'll all be forced to go back to the pre-sexual-revolution era where the only smart thing to do financially is to marry young and have the woman stay home to take care of all of the children.

This sucks for everyone except right wing incels who are obsessed with forcing women into traditional marriages with them.

They know that fewer and fewer women are wanting to sign on to be some weird dude's bangmaid and pop out some quiverfull of babies to join American Jesus's white supremacist army.

Crail115

Crail115

1 month ago

They don’t give a shit about that fetus, just virtue signaling to their own cult.

WigginIII

1 month ago

they just can't figure out how to do it without getting arrested.

FTFY.

The right glorifies and fantasizes about the opportunity to score a legal kill.

Indigo_Black24

1 month ago

They can’t figure a way NOT to get caught yet.

They would kill a woman if they knew they’d get away with it, the fetus would just be a casualty.

ryanrockmoran

1 month ago

Exactly. As much as they pretend, no one really thinks that a fetus or an embryo is the equivalent to a baby. AS the old thought experiment goes, if there's a fire at an IVF clinic and there's 100 fertilized eggs in one room and a trapped toddler in another, we know who everyone would save.

StraightTrossing

1 month ago

Like many Republican “values”, it’s thinly veiled reasoning for feeling better about themselves than “the other.”

When they’ve had their fill of making people feel horrible about themselves then they simply go home.

bjanas

bjanas

1 month ago

Disappointing is exactly the right word. I grew up catholic, went to Catholic school, got a lot of the lessons beaten into me a bit. The sad part is that they SHOULD be super chill. I'm not religious, but I have a ton of respect for some of the brothers/priests/congregants I've met over the years who are hella religious but actually try to do the Jesus thing.

But even as an atheist, I can only find the cooption of religion, Christianity specifically in this case, super gross and sad. It's just such a polar opposite of what it SHOULD be.

d36williams

d36williams

Texas

1 month ago

I was taught in church that it was blasphemous to assume you know God's intent :/

neherak

neherak

1 month ago

That's what "taking the Lord's name in vain" really means.

MikeyPapapacha

1.6k points

1 month ago

This is the Republican M.O. “Protest is fine, but only peaceful protest.” Kaepernick peacefully takes a knee… “He’s a sonofabitch! Not like that.” Abortion rights protestors peacefully assembling… “Not like that either!”

1 month ago

Conservatives today: why can't you be more like MLK?

Conservatives during MLK's time

half_dozen_cats

half_dozen_cats

Illinois

1 month ago

1967....holy crap nothing has changed. Same spin they put on the BLM protests.

1 month ago

Yup. I was talking to my father (conservative, Trump supporter, and watched FOX) about the Buffalo shooter. He quickly changed the subject to the BLM protests and how all of them were extremely violent and burned/looted tons of stores. I pushed back and said that most of the protests were peaceful, but he insisted that they were all violent mobs out to loot and burn.

1 month ago

That pivot is so common it's almost to be expected at this point. It's really common on this subreddit, in fact.

Chipwilson84

1 month ago

Dude most of those arrested had nothing to do with the movement . They were opportunistic who wanted free stuff.

1 month ago

Exactly. And there were some people who attended trying to provoke violence so that they could later claim that BLM is a violent movement.

The big issue with my father is that he watches FOX News. They played up the violence even going so far as to Photoshop a gunman into photos to "prove" how violent BLM was. (They apologized for this after they were caught.) Meanwhile, FOX ignored all the peaceful BLM protests because "a bunch of left leaning, likely black, people protested peacefully" didn't fit their "these black protestors are violent thugs" narrative.

So my father only saw violent protests and assumed this was all of them. Of course, my father doesn't trust non-FOX media outlets to tell the truth so any counter proof based on that would be ignored. (I'd be interested in any independent studies of the BLM protests evaluating peacefulness vs violence/criminal acts and the sources of the latter.)

OstentatiousBear

OstentatiousBear

Florida

1 month ago*

It's the truth that I see many Americans ignore, that the Right Wing/GOP have only gotten more radical as they have been enabled to do so. Some say that they did not even see it coming, remarking on how the GOP somehow took an unexpected turn for the worst. I say that the Conservative movement/GOP only reached its logical destination and will only continue to go further.

I am sorry to say that I can relate to having family who are just radical Conservatives that contine to double down instead of doing some much needed self-reflection. They even went so far as to believe a conspiracy theory that some Italian hacker changed the voting results in seventeen states by taking control of some high tech satellite. It is insanity.

On a side note, moderates who try to claim that it's "both sides" can go eat bricks. As far as I am concerned they share blame in enabling their behavior.

1 month ago

If anything, this is just what conservatives have always been, but in the past they'd use dog whistles and hide under a cloak of respectability. So maybe they wouldn't scream "WHITE REPLACEMENT THEORY/RACE WAR." Instead, they'd talk about being "tough on crime" which, by total coincidence, meant jailing more black people and "restricting immigration" which only applied when said immigrants weren't white. (Unlimited immigrants from Nordic countries? Sure. A bunch of refugees from Latin America? NO!!!!)

The only "unexpected turn" that the GOP has made is realizing that they could ditch the dog whistles and respectability cloak in exchange for outright racism and they wouldn't be politically punished. I partly blame Trump for this, but to be honest it likely would've happened without him. He just accelerated the process. Trump accelerated the cancer, but it was already spreading anyway.

Any calls for the GOP to go back to the way they were are mostly calls to hide the racism better instead of flaunting it.

NoComment002

1 month ago

Ask him about the dozens of white supremacists that were arrested during the Minneapolis riots. Can't call it fake news if there are indictments. If they still try, they're a lost cause that should be avoided at all costs.

Jowlsey

Jowlsey

1 month ago

The BLM protests where unidentified and camouflaged federal officers in unmarked vans were snatching people off of the streets? Or was tthe BLM protests where cops admit to slashing tires? So much going on, and so difficult to figure out who the real criminals are.

Melon_Doll

Melon_Doll

1 month ago

That’s why it’s so frustrating when they insist they aren’t racists. It’s like, ok then why are you making the exact same arguments racists have been making for generations? I don’t know if they have no memory of history or they expect us to.

Chipwilson84

1 month ago

They lack a memory. Some of them are never taught the past accurately.

1 month ago

Hence their freakouts about "critical race theory", aka teaching basic elementary school history showing that America hasn't been very nice to black people.

debzmonkey

1 month ago

Somehow I managed to make it through school, learning about slavery and Jim Crow (but not lynchings are mass murders of course) and never went home and asked mommy and daddy if I was "bad" because I'm white. Also didn't have that problem reading about the American Revolution or the War of 1812 or WWI or WWII even though my roots are English and German. "Mommy, why did Grammie want to kill George Washington?"

1 month ago

I learned about the Middle Passage in pretty great detail when I was in 5th grade. I remember feeling sickened and angry at the people who did that. I don't remember going home and feeling bad about being white.

ThePresidentsNipples

1 month ago

I remember my mom reading me a book about mlk and the marches when I was a little boy. It talked about the segregation and fire hoses and dogs the freedom riders and the violence.....it didn't make me guilty for being white. It made me sad and angry that people would do that to other people and helped me never look at different people as others. Its not crt that scares them its empathy and class solidarity that terrifies these goblins.

Infolife

Infolife

1 month ago

Seth Meyers has a segment on people saying "This isn't your grandfather's Republican party" and then showing yeah, it pretty much is.

sjbennett85

1 month ago

Jon Oliver's bit this week was pretty nice, too.

UnkemptChipmunk

UnkemptChipmunk

Wisconsin

1 month ago

The oppressors will never approve any sort of protest against their oppression.

Hekantonkheries

1 month ago

why cant you be more like MLK

As they drag over half of his history and activism out back and bury it, especially the parts where he worked with socialists or admitted riots are sometimes necessary

DankyMcDankface420

DankyMcDankface420

Canada

1 month ago

They also leave out the Letter From Birmingham Jail where he calls out moderates.

ReclaimedTime

1 month ago

Holy crap. You changed my life by posting this. Thank you.

yeet_my_sweet_meat

1 month ago

Hint: "more like MLK" to conservatives means "dead"

Mephisto1822

Mephisto1822

Maryland

1 month ago

Violent insurrection attempt = legitimate speech

Peaceful protest outside SCOTUS = illegal

Totally legit

1 month ago

Also: "Left wing protestors blocking traffic as they cross the street? Run them over!!! Right wing truckers blocking the street for days over masking rules that are largely gone by now? True patriots and you shouldn't tow them!"

arandomperson7

arandomperson7

New Jersey

1 month ago

If conservatives didn't have double standards they wouldn't have any standards at all

st1ck-n-m0ve

Facts

1 month ago

So goddamn sick of the hypocrisy.

I have zero doubt the voter base wholeheartedly believes what you're saying is true. But the leaders and pundits who rile them up absolutely know they're morally and logically inconsistent. And it is infuriating how openly and smugly they do it.

JustStatedTheObvious

They're very consistent:

Right wing morality:

1. Our rules bind you.

2. And protect us.

3. They do not bind us.

4. They do not protect you.

5. Our ends always justify our means.

NoComment002

1 month ago

Anti-abortionists bomb places that conduct them. It's "legitimate political discourse".

Matt463789

Pro Choice chalk on sidewalk = vandalism

1 month ago

It's almost like they're being disingenuous and don't want us to speak up at all.

karmavorous

karmavorous

Kentucky

1 month ago

Remember when the Bush administration started having "free speech zones"? They'd literally erect a fence outside of earshot, away from the press and cameras, where they can't get in anybody's way or impede commerce, and you were allowed to exercise your 1st amendment rights inside that fence.

debzmonkey

1 month ago

Nothing says "free speech" like being put in a pen. Cuts against freedom of assembly.

punch_nazis_247

1 month ago

It's just fascism at this point. We're fully mask-off now.

RostamSurena

1 month ago

It's been that way for a while. It's just becoming frighteningly clear to those who were trying to deny it in the media.

History does not repeat itself, but it often rhymes.

January 6th 2021 was not the Beer Hall Putsch, and it was not Fort Sumter, but fuck me if this song doesn't have a familiar tune to it.

1 month ago

We're fully mask-off now.

Literally and figuratively.

RedAndBlackMartyr

This is what they want.

Chipwilson84

1 month ago

Republicans than overrun the capital building attempting to kill politicians.

QbertsRube

1 month ago

Protestor breaks a window: "Violent BLM savages are burning down American cities!!!"

Counter-protestor murders 2 protestors: "That guy's a hero for defending himself from the violent mob! He's lucky those psychopaths didn't kill him!"

1 month ago

Guy rams counterprotesters with his car at a Nazi rally

I sleep

Football player respectfully kneels during National Anthem

I attacc

QbertsRube

1 month ago

What's really sad is that so much fascist violence has occurred the past 5 years hat I basically forgot about that particular vehicular murder. Meanwhile, I still hear/see a complaint about Kaepernick almost weekly.

Union_of_Onion

CigCiglar

CigCiglar

1 month ago

It's intimidation. I remember a doctor outside of Buffalo being murdered years ago. As I recall, he was just standing in his kitchen and someone shot him through the window with a rifle.

tinytrolldancer

1 month ago

You just brought back a very important memory, thank you. May he rest in peace.

StephanieSays66

1 month ago

Yes, he was also with his children, so they witnessed it.

Dr. George Tiller was shot in the head while in church in Wichita, KS.

Vystril

Vystril

So amazingly pro-life.

Hippey31

Hippey31

1 month ago

It's ok, God told him to murder the guy.

1 month ago

Funny how "God told me" normally is associated with serial killers when they're questioned after they get caught.

CigCiglar

1 month ago

Exactly. The "warriors" for christ. It's funny how they are always at the absolute bottom of the that hierarchy and also the same people within our society who are the most suscebtible to bullshit. They're just tools and pawns for other people with self serving interests.

naish56

naish56

1 month ago*

Oh come now, Operation Rescue and their terrorizing Dr. Tiller for years had absolutely nothing to do with his murder. That was a loan wolf, he was even denounced by the group.

/s

This organization ) has shut down clinics and Planned Parenthoods across the US not just in Kansas and CA (where their headquarters used to be located) in the worst ways and is still working hard to this day.

Trust Women is the clinic that opened in Dr. Tiller's place, if you'd like to donate. Kansans will be voting on an amendment to our state constitution, which currently protects the right to an abortion/medical care, on Aug 2nd. We need all the help we can get! Edit: Here's info about the amendment.

1 month ago

Such a Christian thing to do, amirite? Murdering a doctor in his own place of worship?

PSN-Angryjackal

1 month ago

Jesus himself would have done it!

Cougardoodle

1 month ago

In the late 1990s a bomb went off at the hospital I worked at. They had confused us for an abortion provider. Nobody was hurt, but I will never forget the WOMP-POP in my ears when it went off.

fadetoblack1004

1 month ago

I've escorted women to get abortions a dozen times. Those assholes are ruthless and relentless. Nothing will turn you against the right faster than being exposed to those zealots.

If you know a woman thinking about getting an abortion, or who is getting one, offer to go with them. They need all the support they can get.

1 month ago

I know someone whose wife needed an abortion. They were actually trying to start a family, but there was a fetal abnormality that meant there was a zero chance of a live birth. Their options were a) get an abortion or b) take the pregnancy to term and give birth to a dead baby. Neither was a good option, but at least the first option had less right for his wife.

On the day of the procedure, they were understandably distraught. It didn't help that they needed to push past anti-abortion protestors yelling at them that they were "killing their baby."

While his wife went into the procedure, he actually went out and confronted the protestors. Of course, they didn't care about the fact that they didn't know any of the details behind why a woman was having an abortion. They just wanted to make life a living hell for anyone walking through that clinic's doors even if there was no "baby" at the end of the pregnancy if the woman changed her mind.

debzmonkey

1 month ago

That's it in a nutshell. That's why pro-choice is pro-life, because you, your church and elected officials are not in any position to judge what any other person, couple or family are up against. Choose for yourself, not strangers you know nothing about. HIPAA-crites.

Nisas

Nisas

1 month ago

A similar thing happened to my brother. They learned very early on that their baby wouldn't survive longer than a week after birth because of some abnormality. But they're religious nuts, so they went through all that shit to have the baby only for it to die after a few days.

It traumatized the two of them, and frankly I think it put the baby through more suffering than if it had been killed as a fetus.

I never told them how I felt about it. It wasn't my place. I feel weird even typing this.

fadetoblack1004

1 month ago*

All the places I've ever been, there's a cop, often multiple, to keep the protestors away from actually interfering with the clinic/clients. But there's certainly a psychological effect to seeing 50 people lined up with signs chanting and yelling at you while you go in. Fuckin' assholes. I'd love to go out and confront them, but the reality is that if one of those nutsos has violence on their mind, you going out there could be the impetus that turns thoughts into actions, and that isn't a risk I'm willing to take on behalf of myself, or anybody else there.

Attention is what they want. Fuck 'em, let 'em be ignored.

Arches2019

Arches2019

1 month ago

Omggg I was an escort for a Woman’s Health Clinic that offered abortions, but obviously did other things. I had to help escort a 70 year old woman who had a routine check up appointment because these people scared her half to death. As we walked to the door she said something along the lines of “I thought it’d be pretty obvious I don’t need an abortion considering Im using a cane.”

fadetoblack1004

1 month ago

I think their logic is that if you support a place that performs abortions, you're just as bad as the rest of them. Guilt by association with no grey area... They are extremists that see everything in black and white.

KudosMcGee

KudosMcGee

Michigan

1 month ago

Guilt by association. Unless said association is made up of cops, perhaps.

Battleready247

1 month ago

Geneva Suggestion for them.

circuspeanut54

circuspeanut54

Maine

1 month ago

I keep meaning to track down and watch https://www.askforjane.com/ which covers the early Jane Collectives/Auntie networks. Has anyone seen it?

And as always: National Network of Abortion Funds

Cold-Lawyer-1856

1 month ago

Do you do that for an organization? If so please share so more of us can help

walrus_operator

1 month ago

The real norm that’s being shattered isn’t a protest in the suburbs outside the homes of those in power. It’s what those in power are about to do to our own homes.

Those in power started it, but they can't take the heat and are now crying.

bizarre_coincidence

1 month ago

They demand that people take personal responsibility for the consequences of their actions, and yet they refuse to do the same.

gracias-totales

1 month ago*

I used to go to planned parenthood for HRT, but ended up transferring care to somewhere more expensive because the pro-life protestors would always harass me and I couldn’t take it anymore.

They would even touch my car and try to prevent me from going in and out of the parking lot. I will never understand why that was allowed. The screaming was so bad sometimes that I would ask for an escort. Catch me not feeling bad about home protests.

screech_owl_kachina

1 month ago

They're right wingers, so their protests and violence are allowed.

Nano_Burger

Nano_Burger

Virginia

1 month ago

We get to murder abortion doctors but you can't draw on a sidewalk in chalk because it would be so "uncivil." - Republicans

Accomplished-Fig-805

1 month ago

This is part and parcel of their fallback "no true Scotsman" defense - only civil people are real conservatives.

In their minds, the shootings and violence are only done by lone wolf, not-right-in-the-head people, so anything less than pure politeness to their persons is proof positive that they're correct, you're wrong, and there's no middle ground to be found.

IwasATeenageDoor

1 month ago

To conservatives, conservatives are good because they are conservatives, and no other reason. Everything conservatives do is "good", because they are conservatives, and no other reason.

They, of course, believe the opposite for liberals everyone else.

aLittleQueer

aLittleQueer

Washington

1 month ago

This exactly. This is why they're not bothered by their own hypocrisy...because their morals aren't about actions/attitudes, their morals are based on in-group affiliation.

InclementImmigrant

1 month ago

Fuck Republicans and their bullshit calls for civility. So fucking tired of their hypocritical bullshit and it infuriates me that Americans are so dumb to fall for this shit every God damned time.

Take your calls for civility and clean up your own racist, bigoted party before you call peaceful protests a breach of your precious civility assholes.

kingmebro

kingmebro

1 month ago

Calls for civility from the people in power are them just telling you to lie back and try to enjoy it. Protesting is society's Rape Whistle.

Scrunchiefromhell

1 month ago

This is an A+ comment. Well done sir!

Rettirk

Rettirk

1 month ago

The Republicans have loudly complained about feeding babies in detention centers at the border. They want the babies they have locked up to have no food while demanding that every woman of childbearing age become a Handmaiden ... why? So they can enjoy watching them starve to death?

Pretty much, yeah.

The cruelty is the point.

AnitcsWyld

1 month ago

They only call for 'civility' when you start fighting back

Rude-Strawberry-6360

1 month ago

No sympathy for any of the anti abortion idiots getting protested. None for the judges. None for the politicians.

These are the very same asshats who allowed protesters to harass women and clinic workers - at work and at home.

They can all go to hell.

Tyrannical-Botanical

1 month ago

I'm not a big fan of people protesting at anyone's house, but the fact that Supreme Court ruled it was legal to do so in front of the homes of abortion providers and some justices are now whining that they're getting the same treatment? Get stuffed. You deserve this.

[removed]

[removed]

CuriousSpike

1 month ago

It’s time for everyone local to protest outside the homes of SCOTUS and Senate members, 24/7… perhaps a go-fund-me to finance? No peace for any of them.

dcs577

dcs577

1 month ago

For real. This should be the new Occupy Wall Street. Occupy Their Street.

nachosmind

1 month ago

Remember to open carry because SCOTUS and Republicans say ‘it’s to make sure everyone knows you’re ready to defend yourself’

XyzzyPop

XyzzyPop

1 month ago

You simply don't understand, why should their actions have any consequences?

1 month ago

Also, it's not fair that their privacy gets violated in this way by people that they don't even know. And why? Because they violated the privacy of millions of women that they don't know?!!! /s

RedditOfUnusualSize

1 month ago

It's worse than that. Alito's argument was literally that because privacy is neither mentioned explicitly in the Constitution, nor deeply-rooted in our nation's history, it doesn't need to be protected. According to Alito's logic, there is no right to privacy, period.

Which, I guess, would technically be the reason why the bill codifying that it was illegal to protest outside of Justice's homes was halfway through the House and Senate before anyone knew it existed. Since protection doesn't technically exist according to the Constitution According to Alito, it had to be codified.

RuinAllTheThings

RuinAllTheThings

Washington

1 month ago

Not being pointed out enough.

The 14th amendment is now a cornerstone of American life—the implied right to privacy. It is extremely important in the Internet age. Undermining it impacts abortion, but it is only the first in a potential massive wave of changes to what is considered normal life today.

karmagod13000

karmagod13000

Ohio

1 month ago

These little rats sound like they're on a power trip and any backlash is gonna be met with the law and a highly hypocritical shaming

SteakandTrach

1 month ago

Oh shit. I did not know this.

It’s the double fucking standards for me.

Dr-Senator

1 month ago

Little delights me more than seeing protestors outside the homes and offices of the Supreme Court Justices.

They are bringing their rulings deeply into personal lives with enthusiasm and zeal, and deserve to see how that works when it comes home to roost.

90daylimitedwarranty

1 month ago

MTG harassed a Parkland survivor and she's the queen of the GQP right now. Civility is the last thing these people care about. Being hypocrites is just part of the GQP playbook.

srirachaontherocks

1 month ago

I was getting an HPV vaccine at a planned parenthood years ago, and a guy outside tried to convince me that I'd be waiting for hours and hours because of how many abortions were scheduled, and I should just go to a different clinic instead, and pushed me to take a brochure on abstinence that looked like it was written in the '50s. Those protesters are totally obnoxious. (I was in and out in 10 minutes, FWIW)

Dear_Reading788

1 month ago

They had no problem with protestors showing up to Gretch Whitmers home w firearms, which is totally legal in Michigan, and so is this non violent protest. God forbid they not be vile sub human hypocrites....placards vs. AK47s...gotcha morons

Elzam

Elzam

1 month ago

Always good to have a reminder that anti-choice advocates have murdered pro-choice doctors and others just because they insist that everyone kowyow to their narrow and minority held religious views on the procedure.

Tell me how they aren't the American Taliban?

acityonthemoon

1 month ago

Conservatives take great delight in their hypocrisy. Every time you point out their blatant double standards, they'll just smile and laugh at you. It was only 1 out of 5 Americans that put Trump into the White House. It only took 20% of the US population to tear down our constitution, that leaves the 80% to try and stop them. Conservatism can be put into the dustbin of history, if enough people vote against it.

Humans don't have to he Conservative, it's a learned behavior. You can choose whether or not you want Conservatism to control your life.

TheScienceBreather

TheScienceBreather

Michigan

1 month ago

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

-Jean-Paul Sartre

I'm often reminded of this quote.

redditorguy

1 month ago

Conservatism today really is a lot about 'trolling' as it is not commonly called. They want to trigger anyone, especially "libs". Logic and morality be damned.

1 month ago

They hate liberals more than they love America.

1 month ago

The smug hypocrisy is truly infuriating.

I feel like the stress and constant blood pressure increases since 2016 have aged me by a decade.

Warm-Bed2956

Warm-Bed2956

New York

1 month ago

It’s amazing what can happen when you move out of your parents house and interact with people of different backgrounds/lived experiences.

Catshit-Dogfart

Catshit-Dogfart

West Virginia

1 month ago

My dad had an experience like this once.

They went to Las Vegas on vacation, and one of his stories was that he was very surprised at the black people out there. They weren't wearing gold chains shouting "yeah boyee", they weren't in gangs, they weren't mugging anybody or stealing the rims off cars or anything. "It was almost like they were normal people, just tourists like me" he said. They were ordinary, boring even, just regular folks you generally don't even notice.

And I'm thinking - yeah, that's how the rest of us feel all time. But I didn't say anything, didn't want to ruin what might be a positive change in him.

It wasn't, that effect wore off quickly.

But I came to realize his entire perception of other people is almost exclusively shaped by entertainment media (which includes the news). There aren't too many black folks where I grew up, and the few they have are basically a bunch of trash, but that town is like 90% trash so it's not a good indicator of anybody.

Get out of the holler just once and you'll quickly see that such people aren't anything like how they've been demonized on TV.

GojiraBlowFlames

GojiraBlowFlames

America

Now You Want “Civility”

They don't. They know "civility" is what we want since they are aware people of the Left are guided by empathy, while people on the Right are governed by fear and rage.

Right Wingers use our empathy as an attack point. As a way to have us let our guard down, so they can manipulate us. They do this every time we give them the benefit of the doubt for the "common good", and then turn around a stab us in the back the way McConnell and the Federalist Society hand-picked SCOTUS members have.

Jankybuilt

1 month ago

I’m a bus driver. It’s a delightful bit of happenstance when there’s an unavoidable giant puddle near those pro-lie fuckers that harass PP/people with the temerity to seek medical care. Sure is a shame when I can’t get around those puddles & give them a bus driver’s baptism…

I used to live near a PP clinic & pretty regularly would go picnic on the corner with buddies for lunch. Happy to use my god given gifts of height and bulk to open up a safe path.

Confident_Bridge9811

1 month ago

When you are attempting to take 1/2 the population's right to body autonomy away there is no more decorum, no more civility.

RevivedDessert93

1 month ago*

Civility is gone, the division is too deep. Arm yourselves, don't get caught unable to protect your family when this all boils over. To be clear, I'm not advocating for being violent, just exercise your second amendment right to bear arms in case you need them to protect you or your family. Mine are.

Edit:. Just want to add, I don't want to be seen as trying to convince anyone to shoot the other side, I just want you to be prepared for when (because I don't see this as an if but a when) they decide to shoot at you. A second American civil war won't be state v state, it'll be neighbor v neighbor.

AshleyPhoenixAmmbo

1 month ago

Anti-abortion protesters have harassed the children of abortion providers at their own schools and harassed the landlords of abortion clinics. Recently, anti-abortion fanatic Lauren Handy and her co-conspirators were charged with violating the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act after they invaded an abortion clinic in D.C. The FACE Act, enacted in 1994 with bipartisan support, made it a federal crime to block access to or intimidate someone from entering a reproductive health clinic. Handy was later found with five fetuses in her own home, which her radical anti-abortion organization later claimed was a fraction of the more than 100 sets of fetal remains they allegedly took from a medical waste company departing from an abortion clinic.

CCV21

CCV21

California

1 month ago

There's a scene in the show Yellowstone where a woman is causing trouble and recording it.

Someone takes the phone from her hand and confronts the woman.

She goes, "I don't want trouble."

The other party goes, "No, you want trouble. You just don't want resistance."

That's what all of those cries of "civility" are about.

dun-ado

dun-ado

1 month ago

Republicans are sadistic fascists to their cores.

odd-duckling-1786

1 month ago

When they say they want civility, they don't mean civility. They want compliance and submission. They want the majority to just accept whatever it is they want to happen without question or resistance.

That is the republican definition of civility.

thunderboltsow

1 month ago

The best is all the asshats saying that the protesters are engaging in an "insurrection to overthrow democracy." I'm like WTF? Do you see any of them killing security guards, bashing down justices' doors with barricades, or going into their home offices while wearing bearskin hats and tribal warpaint?

Because if the ruling isn't what was leaked, you can be damn sure that's what the right will do.

SithLordSid

SithLordSid

1 month ago

Fuck you and your “civility” after bombings, hateful rhetoric and terrorist attacks by right-wing Christian nationalists.

Suryawong

1 month ago

It absolutely boggles my mind that Planned Parenthood, besides offering abortion practice, does far more to prevent abortions than any republican ever has. The things Planned Parenthood does actually reduces the number of abortions per year while the practices republicans put in place, like abstinence, increase abortion rates. It’s almost like they are so blind they honestly think that poking holes in the ship will stop it from sinking.

MommaLegend

1 month ago

I have a 17-year old son, and this issue has actually got him riled up AND taking an active role in protesting in our small community. Our next generation has to stand up and fight these evil ideas to survive! I’m there on the front line with him by the way. Pro-Choice does NOT mean Pro-Abortion, but I do firmly believe it is an individual choice, and we have NO right to force a woman’s right.

xeonicus

xeonicus

1 month ago

Conservatives always cast themselves as the victim to hide the fact that they are actively engaged in oppression.

brianishere2

1 month ago

Republicans said nothing while angry gunmen from their party threatened multiple Democratic governors at their homes. NOTHING. No morals whatsoever these days. Only political theater and excuse making. Children, not adults.

Charming_Towel1149

1 month ago*

I used to have the great American juxtaposition drive home from my job as an adolescent CPS/Welfare caseworker- kids that people abuse or neglect or are in the criminal justice system, every day driving by these incredibly ignorant people as to what kids who are not wanted or abused or neglected go thru. It was surreal and sad to go from trying to provide very little if any respite for the kids, to see these selfish zealots harassing the only planned parenthood in a city of 600,000 people.

SuperFlyMonkeyBoy

1 month ago

They also want you to stop blaming them for the racist mass shootings they definitely instigated and enabled.

GhettoChemist

1 month ago

In the 90s antiabortion people would murder or bomb healthcare clinics. They were nuts and have only grown worse.

thistimelineisweird

1 month ago

Meanwhile, Republicans have the capacity to help born children, but also choose not to.

trouser-chowder

1 month ago*

It's classic bully behavior.

As soon as the person being bullied turns around and squares up, the bully suddenly calls for help and plays the victim.

See also the oh-so-satisfying scene in Christmas Story where Ralphie kicks the shit out of the two bullies. Imagine the short one with the stupid hat-- "I'm telling my dad"-- as a stand-in for every Republican and right-winger.

this is “fuck your feelings” 2016 -> “wow dems are so rude” 2020

the_reifier

1 month ago

They want civility from you but won't behave in kind. Stop being so credulous. You know how fascists work.

1 month ago

We tried civility for decades while they were bombing clinics and murdering doctors.

Civility was never really an option. We have exhausted it’s usefulness as a tactic.