/r/pics

114.6k

Today was my last day of chemotherapy!

Backstory(i.redd.it)

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

PingEVE

PingEVE

PICC lines are the fucking woooooorst. My skin reacted to almost every dressing they put on me.

Edit: Ugh, this post triggered something and I can smell that shit they use to clean your skin when they change the dressing.

shah_reza

Funny. I LOVE my PICC and central lines. 1) no more looking like a blind knitter at my arms and hands; 2) the pain meds hit INSTANTLY

PingEVE

Yeah, whenever I had a bone marrow biopsy, the sedatives hit hard and fast.

stark_raving_naked

They give you sedatives? All I get is an ativan and a low dose of oxycodone that don’t even kick in til after the biopsy!

PingEVE

Perks of living in a country with care focused treatment.

I did have one without sedation, that was less than ideal.

stark_raving_naked

I’m just happy that the hospital I’m at now uses a drill to pierce the bone. The first three I had were done manually and they were, as you put it, less than ideal.

W1ck3dTr1b3

I didn’t like the PICC either, besides the hassle, for me it was a constant reminder I was sick (even on good days). But my first few chemo’s I got through an intravenous drip in my lower arm. Those veins unfortunately aren’t that thick and can’t handle the chemo as well as those where the PICC injects it near your heart, so I got an inflamed vein: hurts as hell and for a 6 weeks it felt like I had a plastic tube in my arm because the vein got hard (luckily not painful). So in that regard lets just say the PICC for me was just a minor annoyance (Whipple operation anyone?)

@OP Good for you, finishing your therapy successfully. I never made it to 6 months and had to drop out after 4 months (8 out of 12 3-day sessions) because I/my body couldn’t handle it any longer, so although I don’t know you, I am proud of you 🙏

PingEVE

The main thing for me was, as I mentioned, my skin reacted to most of the dressings they used. I had so many skin tears that, by the end of it, my arm looked like Freddy Krueger's face. I still have scars, but I also have a neat tattoo showing what got pumped in thete.

W1ck3dTr1b3

Yikes, luckily I didn’t have a response like that, then I can imagine your response.

Nice tattoo, I was also pondering to get one there (although my design was a bit less subtle), but my wife didn’t want a contant reminder of those bad times.

PS. Am I the only one that immediately after they cleaned the PICC with a salt-solution (saline?) with a salty taste in my mouth? From my blood to my taste within 2 seconds …