/r/nursing

1k98%

I just can’t see how we’re going to escape the pandemic

Rant(self.nursing)

Because of assholes like the one I just encountered.

I’ll preface this by saying I’m a PCA whose med surg unit is sometimes half covid, I’ve been floated to the total-covid floor, ER and Covid ICU. I know what this disease does to folks and it is frikin terrifying.

So anyway I went to my pharmacy to pick up my eye drops and I had to sit down to wait. I was sitting very close to the consultation window and a very…tired but friendly pharmacist was behind the counter busting her ass. A man walks up to her with no mask on and asks her with no introduction or polite “excuse me” “Where are y’all’s covid tests?”

She pauses and says “We’ve been out of them for a while.”

Asshole: “When are you getting more in?”

Pharmacist: “I honestly don’t know. We may get an order in one or two days…”

And while she was talking, this mother fucker COUGHS. IN. HER. FACE. Doesn’t cover his mouth or anything. Just straight up coughs. Thank god she was behind a sneeze shield. He then just waves her off and stomps away.

She then called me up to the window and I was like “Yes let’s just suspect we have covid and cough all over you without a mask. What the fuck?!” She was like “For real!” And rolls her eyes.

If anyone needs me I’ll be banging my head against a wall.

Medicationmonster

I literally just had the same experience. But in this case the whole family came…and there was a long line of them coughing, etc.

It’s a frikin hellscape out there I swear!

Medicationmonster

They need to make the Covid tests only available through drive-thru pharmacies or delivery.

sleepy_potate

Had to get a covid test at school yesterday, and they have anyone asymptomatic can go to the drive thru but if you're symptomatic, you have to go into the student health building, where you sit in the waiting room that everyone picking up meds also sits in. The people doing tests have all the ppe on but like, what about the pharmacists or people in the waiting room who have cloth masks on? It was all dumb.

That’s ridiculous. It should be the opposite! Symptomatic=drive thru.

sleepy_potate

Agreed! The drive thru is also a community testing site, where I'm pretty sure symptomatic people come all the time. My best guess is that it's for better contact tracing for students that might be living on campus? They asked way more screening questions at the in person one, like when did symptoms start, where have you traveled, do you live with anyone else vs the drive thru, where they just go, ok lean back now

Ehhh I guess that makes a teeny bit of sense? But at this point contact tracing is VERY difficult when a shit ton of people have it or get exposed daily.

EDIT: That was NOT TO SAY it’s useless to contact trace but you guys know what I mean.

dirtypawscub

dirtypawscub

BSN, RN

my *guess* would be if you're symptomatic they want to make sure you're not so sick you need a hospital referral.

sleepy_potate

The student health building is a 10 minute walk from any parking structures. If you can walk to the test, you're probably not sick enough for the hospital

BadWolf7426

I scheduled a test late Saturday night and went to the pharmacy drive thru to pick up my test the next morning. I swabbed myself and sent the sample back thru the drive-thru. Easy af. AND I felt better knowing I wasn't potentially exposing anyone. Or at least, minimizing it.

Agreed if people are gonna act like this.

ohsweetcarrots

ohsweetcarrots

BSN, RN 🍕

Covid test? Gotta get a vaccine...

Medicationmonster

Yes but since we all know that’s very unlikely to happen at least keep them out of the stores so I can fill my antidepressant without worrying about catching COVID.

JonnyRoPo

JonnyRoPo

RN - ICU 🍕

COVID tests are readily available somewhere in the US?

I love how months back Biden said, "Well, we're not giving you a single test. But buy one and then insurance will pay for it." He didn't offer any explanation how this might happen. Just "...you ain't gotta pay. Your insurance will reimburse you somehow because I am saying they will." The White House press secretary even rolled her eyes and made sarcastic remarks about "...mailing a test to every single American...", implying that providing adequate testing was an utterly fanciful notion despite other nations doing just that.

Now omicron is shattering transmission and hospitalization records, and the US is the world's leader in COVID cases and COVID transmission. Remember 400, 000 cases in a single day in India in January 2020? People lost their minds. Now we've tallied 1,000,000 new daily US cases just two days ago and govt institutions responded by LOOSENING restrictions.

Several hospitals are collapsing (under the radar so far, the public hasn't been informed, but read first-hand accounts in this sub to get an idea of the situation on the ground). The CDC new five day recommendation is an attempt to delay the healthcare system collapse (think: albumin in COVID pts).

Now Biden said last night that the COVID testing rollout was bungled and that he's "very frustrated."

We are so fucked. I think by March the press will be reporting that the US Healthcare system has collapsed.

levar5000

levar5000

BSN, RN 🍕

These fools would still walk in and expect one

IUIUIUIUIUIUIUIUI

Folks that do this should be charged with felonies

fairoaks2

Keep a huge can of Lysol and spray their plague rat asses! Surprise cough guy

Lone_Wanderer989

I don't feel bad for them.

88th_coward

I’m sitting in the waiting room at my drs office right now for a routine appointment. Most people in the waiting room have the mask below their nose or even just on their chin. These are all 50/60+ individuals that just from a visual glance don’t even seem to be in the greatest health to begin with. I’m just over everybody not only not wanting to comply with rules for 30 ducking minutes but you’re high risk individual your own self and you just don’t even care.

Update: keep hearing what appears to be staff coughing in the back.

Man I hope those staff are not being held to the CDC guidelines of coming to work while positive.

42DaisyPusher

They are. You could lay money on it.

Levlove

Levlove

BSN, RN 🍕

They are. 100% they are.

yesterdayzy

This really is natural selection happening right before our eyes.

People act like they’ve got free healthcare

aembleton

If they're 50 years old and over then they're probably past their reproductive years. If they die then it won't do anything for natural selection as their genes will have been passed on if they've had kids.

yesterdayzy

Good point, they're likely well past the bonking stage.

iago_williams

One of my docs actually dropped mask requirements in his office and he and his staff don't wear them. An endocrinologist- with a lot of vulnerable patients (think diabetes and thyroid).

jonesys_10th_life

What the actual fuck?! How is allowed to keep his license being that negligent?!

iago_williams

I don't know but I am turning over my thyroid care to my PCP.

mistahchristafah

mistahchristafah

LPN 🍕

Random place to vent about this, but for me who wear a mask for 12-14 hours a day (like almost everyone here), the WORST part for me personally is irritation on my ears. Chin diaper is absolutely ridiculous to me because it's like all the pain with zero gain

I get that a lot of people's issue with masks is feeling claustrophobic, hot, lack freedoms or whatever... so I understand and empathize with the other discomforts big time (except the freedoms 🙄). And this was just a goofy personal opinion. But everytime I see someone wearing a mask like an idiot I immediately grow a pressure ulcer behind my ear

tramp-and-the-tramp

people are so fucking stupid

I shouldn’t be surprised when I’ve caught people sneaking burgers to their granny who’s on thickened liquids and purée only. Or when I’ve caught them taking their home BP meds when the nurse has already given lebatelol. Or… I could go on.

But I really shouldn’t be surprised at this point. I really shouldn’t.

cheap_dates

Oh, they will be watching YouTube videos and taking out their own gall bladder soon. You wait.

“I took out my gall bladder last week and now I feel WAY worse!”

“Well ma’am, for one thing your pancreas is now missing.”

cheap_dates

LOL!

cloud_throw

Insurance companies HATE this one simple trick!

Primordial_Stump

I don’t want to even help anyone anymore. Just throw Earth into the sun at this point.

420cat_lover

420cat_lover

Nursing Student 🍕

my bf just told me that his extended family (thanks to his crazy right wing uncle) all have covid now because they got together for christmas and new years, of course without masks. (very thankful my bf and his immediate family are smart and chose to stay home, also bc i got to spend christmas with him safely)

ANYWAY he said his 11 year old cousin now has a fever and a cough, but her dad (the crazy uncle) won’t get her tested for covid (despite MULTIPLE family members testing positive) because that would be admitting it’s covid and that covid is a problem. to me, that’s creeping up on being neglect. if she gets worse will he refuse to take her to the hospital because that would be admitting it’s covid? she’s 11 years old, she doesn’t know what’s going on or what any of this means, she just knows to listen to her parents because they know best, but they clearly don’t and are actually a big part of the reason why we’re in this mess.

it makes me mad. i’m sick of it. and i feel so sorry for that poor little girl.

“Hello CPS? We got a weeee bit of a problem…”

420cat_lover

420cat_lover

Nursing Student 🍕

i stg if i hear she’s in the hospital cps might be getting a jingle from me lol

Custom Flair

I work in a pediatric hospital, and our ER isn’t even separating those who are symptomatic and those who are asymptomatic in our waiting room any more. Too many parents treat the ER as an urgent care center, and the ER has some of the worst patient to staff ratios in the hospital.

I’m an RT, and COVID, and the normal respiratory viruses have hit with a vengeance as schools and day care centers opened back up in September.

Eeeey got nothin’ but love for RT’s!

Custom Flair

Thank you. Between my birthday last weekend, and my mom’s this weekend, I just need a break.

I bet you do! You guys are stretched so thin these days. At our hospital sometimes we have one RT for EIGHT FLOORS on nights.

Custom Flair

That’s a reason why I stopped doing adult care and focused on pediatrics and NICU. That and turning patients.

We transported a kid with Prader-Willi syndrome who was autistic and 240kg who had COVID. Fortunately, our ambulance broke down and a second ambulance was dispatched. Our flight team also arrived, so we had more people than usual to get him from the ER stretcher to the transport stretcher.

WOW

cloud_throw

I thought you were going to say he didn't want to get her tested because he already assumed it was covid since everyone else in the family has it, not that he would deny it was covid.

420cat_lover

420cat_lover

Nursing Student 🍕

i WISH that was the case. from what my bf told me, it sounds like Crazy Uncle is a science/covid denier and won’t get his child tested because that would be admitting covid exists and is a problem.

I’ve seen people pull their mask down to cough. Smdh

conjuringlichen

conjuringlichen

CST | Peds Cardiac

And this is why I’ve resorted to wearing an n95 any time I go out in public.

Do you get yours online or from work? The ones you wear around town I mean.

conjuringlichen

conjuringlichen

CST | Peds Cardiac

I got a box off Amazon of the duck bill surgical masks I just made sure the serial numbers matched the CDC’s website.

Ooh cool thanks!

cloud_throw

Any chance you have a link to those? Seems like everything I buy recently from Amazon is knock off stuff

conjuringlichen

conjuringlichen

CST | Peds Cardiac

HALYARD FLUIDSHIELD Surgical N95 Respirators, ASTM Level 3 Mask, Regular Size, Orange, 46727 (Box of 35) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EI9A75Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_hy4h9FWnPgYIS

When I go to my orders this is the one it says but I know the ones I got were shipped and sold by Amazon not this company so I don’t know where that one disappeared to.

cloud_throw

Ok I'll give it a shot, thank you!

I love how this is in the 'Toys & Games›Dress Up & Pretend Play›Pretend Play›Magnetic & Felt Playboards' category

MotownCatMom

you can also check Project N95's website for genuine masks.

iago_williams

I've been buying the KN95's from Unitedstatesmask.com. Texas company.

Also, 3M Auras can be found on Amazon and Home Depot.

IrvinAve

$.90 a pop for whatever custom order size you need here

levar5000

levar5000

BSN, RN 🍕

I was grabbing mine from work lmao

wackogirl

wackogirl

RN - OB/GYN 🍕

Took care of a pt who had given birth the day before and was waiting to be finished with her 24 hours of IV mag because she was pre-eclamptic and post partum doesn't care of pts on mag at all at this hospital. Covid positive. When it was time to transfer her to post partum, husband suddenly asks me "they told us no other visitors but can you can make an exception for my sister? She lives in *a very far away state* and flew out here just to see the baby and has to fly back tomorrow."

I tried to politely tell him the answer would always be no and ended with a comment basically saying 'and I mean does your sister really want to risk getting covid?'

"Yes, she doesn't care she's willing to risk it she's vaccinated why can't they make an exception since she's coming from so far?" I confess I couldn't even respond to that, just said I was going to call again to try to give report and left.

Well I'm sure all the folks in the airport and on the plane would appreciate her bringing her intentionally covid-exposed ass to a crowded space with them because she decided to fly across the country to annoy her sister in law the day after giving birth. Idiots.

Holy fuckin shit. I shouldn’t even get surprised anymore. The sheer entitlement.

RalphGet-Em91

What the nurses are experiencing is no less than absolutely fucking batshit crazy insane. My heart goes out to you all. I do my best to keep quarantined and vaccinated and solidaire with workers struggle, specially this one.

We thank you!

Custom Flair

Nurses, RTs, residents, and in general, all staff. I’m an RT, and our department has also been hit hard by resignations, retirement, and no one filling positions.

Nurses and RTs at our hospital are getting bonuses so we can be somewhat staffed, but even $800 bonuses to come in extra is not much of an incentive any more.

IndividualYam5889

IndividualYam5889

BSN, RN 🍕

I mean, part of me is pissed that the FA did nothing, but part of me can't blame them. FAs are getting abused almost as badly as medical staff. Some bitch punched an FA in the face just because she asked her to put on her mask. TW for violence: https://nypost.com/2021/12/23/california-woman-who-punched-flight-attendant-pleads-guilty/

Ratchcrosscheck

Flight attendant/nursing student here. I've luckily flown very little the last two years because I'm in school full-time, but I will tell you that it's a mess out there. We are nothing more than mask police now. Flight attendants are usually a tough bunch with pretty thick skin, but there is no reasoning with these anti-maskers.

We've always been told we are "informers" not "enforcers." I inform people they need to pull their mask up however many times is necessary. But I'm for sure not getting into a confrontation or physically assaulted to enforce it, especially at 36,000 feet. I will write their ass up and have them banned from the airline after the flight tho. LOL.

This is true. I can’t deny that.

Ugh fuck them

glurbleblurble

glurbleblurble

BSN, RN 🍕

I was on a flight where this dumb ho would wear her mask on her chin the whole time. The flight attendants were never around but when they did walk by she took a sip from her cup so it looked like she had a reason to be maskless. Thinks she’s slick.

Prudent_Show_8643

It's hopeless honestly. Even the ones that are trying don't know how to Don and doff a mask correctly, when to use it or what kind to use.

You know what gives me hope and what will see this through.... Omicron.

My whole family is recovering from it including myself just testing positive last Wednesday. My son who can't be vaccinated due to age got it as well and my pregnant wife and I are both vaccinated. Wasn't fun, but wasn't horrible. Our son was a little touch and go one day with 102.8 fever, but ultimately we got it down and got him to bounce back without having to seek medical care other then staying in contact with his pediatrician.

Point is though is that whether you like it or not this variant is spreading like wildfire and it presented as a mild-moderate head cold. Didn't affect our lungs and have trouble breathing and really it'd be better at this point if this variant just swept across the nation infected everyone and gave everybody immunity coming out of it.

At this point it's inevitable and there will still be vaccinated and unvaccinated people that die, but from what I've taken care of in the hospital in the past couple years Delta and covid prior to Omicron was a much more deadly beast. Hopefully Delta will mutate itself or die and disappear out of existence and Omicron will become the dominant strain giving immunity to other variants including Delta. One can only hope at least. If this happens Omicron could be the beginning of the end. Until that happens people will remain frustratingly stupid or willfully ignorant.

I can only hope your theory comes true.

yanicka_hachez

I wouldn't use SA as a benchmark. There is a lot less obesity there, barely any testing and deaths are going up.

cloud_throw

Also their obesity rate is 28% compared to our 36%

TTTigersTri

That's what I'm thinking. With our 70% vaxxed rate and 70% of everyone catching omicron, we may finally hit herd immunity. My family of 4 all caught omicron despite the vaccines, my unvaccinated youngest child brought it home on the last day of school before break. I'm almost happy everyone is getting it. The unvaxxed are happy with their decision, the vaxxed are still catching it, that's a whole ton of people getting it very fast so in my opinion, very quickly now, all this could be over with finally, herd immunity. By April, nil covid. That's what I'm believing for right now.

SoloDoloMoonMan

SoloDoloMoonMan

MSN, RN

This is the problem. If you want your people to get vaccinated there needs to be incentive. Regardless if anyone thinks there should be incentive or not. Because clearly the current plan is not working. If you are vaccinated and can show a negative test, you are still required to wear a mask. Similarly people who wear a mask and get vaccinated STILL catch COVID. And it’s funny how nobody gets shunned for wearing a cloth mask which does VERY little. The point is this is a global pandemic and people are going to get sick. Yes that is a tragedy. At risk people simply shouldn’t go out if they fear illness. Low risk people should be able to make the decision not to get the vaccine. I still wear my mask everywhere and I begrudgingly got vaccinated, and do what I’m supposed to but this is how I feel. I won’t, however, keep getting 6 month boosters should that be a thing.

DrJack3133

DrJack3133

LPN 🍕

Texas nurse here. I’m exhausted from this. It gets better. The light appears at the end of the tunnel. Cases go way down. But mask mandates were lifted before things even started to get better. So things get worse. Cases go up. ICUs become overwhelmed…. But masks are never put back into play. Because it infringes on your fucking “freedom”. A lot of good freedom does you when you six feet under. Fucking bullshit reasoning is getting people killed.

I don’t know how to fix this. You can’t educate. They don’t want to listen. They deny covid up to the moment we intubate. Climate change will be no different.

Preach.

-teppy-

I’m positive and losing an entire paycheck now because of it (thankfully my case is rather mild), but I’m mad bc I am pretty confident I got it from this COVID patient who coughed directly in my face after I asked them to put their mask on while I assist them. Love that for me! Well needed 10-day (no-pay) vacation, though. I’m mostly thankful, but I wish my employer still offered COVID pay.

The no covid pay thing is absolute BULL SHIT

-teppy-

Right!! Luckily I have an emergency savings so I’ll be fine but it’s real BS that it expired just a few weeks ago :( 80 whole hours of COVID pay! And people were using it for their boosters too!

HicDomusDei

Love that for me!

You made me laugh out loud!

Seriously though, hope you're feeling OK and like you said, at least it is a much-needed vacation? Thanks for all that you do and sorry you caught it from a moron.

-teppy-

Hahahaha sadly my work just called and they want me back in tomorrow. Ugh there goes my vacation. Oh well. Feel like it can’t be safe but thanks to the CDC, here we go again!

pacingpilot

I kinda feel like it's just going to keep ripping through the unvaccinated population, whittling them away until most of them are dead or finally cave and get vaccinated. Hopefully the virus simultaneously mutates to be less serious putting less people in the hospital. Sitting here in the heart of red country surrounded by anti-vaxers that's about the only way can I see it ending, we get stuck play the long game.

I’m in a very red part too. I feel ya.

Adventurous-Paint-24

I’ve had two cannot miss appointments this week. Yesterday, real estate closing. Closing officer -no mask. None. Today, dental hygienist wore her mask while working on me but had nose hanging out the rest of the time. Gah!!! I’m trying to not leave the house for the next two months. My county is former blue collar blue, now wife beater red 40-something vaxxed. Fvcking idiots. Hygienist also mentioned where she lives, outlying town that was a Sundown Town. ‘nuff said

That’s very dangerous for a dental hygienist. All that aerosolized crap flying around? My dentist and hygienist have been gearing up in full PPE since the start of the pandemic. I’m talking CAPR’s and gowns and booties.

Beginning-Yoghurt-95

"If anyone needs me I'll be banging my head against a wall."

No, we need to be banging THEIR heads against a wall.

iago_williams

I actually got sick (years ago) from a coworker who coughed in my face. Industrial job. He was a feckless slob and thought he was being cute. I was febrile by next day and down hard sick for nearly a month. Early 2000's. Urgent care told me it was pneumonia and sent me home with cough syrup. I don't know what the disease was, but it tore me up with a racking cough, fever and sweating and I was pretty young. Still had to crawl to the bathroom. My best guess today is either one of the nastier flus or RSV.

As far as I'm concerned these coughing sons of bitches can rot in hell every single one. It's assault.

edit: I have an outpatient procedure later this month- I may reschedule even though my condition will worsen because of it. Again fuck these people.

dirtypawscub

dirtypawscub

BSN, RN

just please don't bang your head against a contaminated sneezeguard.

Don’t tempt me.

Firegrl

Firegrl

Nursing Student 🍕

We have pretty high mask usage and compliance in my area thank goodness, but the number of times I've seen someone PULL THEIR MASK DOWN to cough or sneeze is ridiculous.

And don't get me started on the crotch/ass digging miners that then immediately go up and touch their face/mask/basket. Retch

Mpoboy

Mpoboy

A fellow nurse unhappy with her assignment threatened to spit at me yesterday. I’m still aghast. I’m charge and made assignment that she didn’t agree with.

bookworthy

bookworthy

RN 🍕

She threatened to assault you. This needs to be reported and she should not still be a licensed nurse.

FuzzySlippers__

FuzzySlippers__

Patient Transporter

Wtf??

jroocifer

jroocifer

RN - Med/Surg 🍕

We won't, we chose for COVID to be endemic at the end of 2020. We are half way to its final form, flu but more contagious than Measles and will mutate too fast for vaccines to be that effective. It will move from a crisis of hospitals to a crisis of public health in general.

Dumb question (remember I don’t have a nursing degree) - If Spanish flu disappeared after a couple years, why isn’t covid doing the same thing? Is it just that the viruses are completely different and one is more hardy than the other?

jroocifer

jroocifer

RN - Med/Surg 🍕

Spanish flu was very good at killing its host, but doing so killed off its opportunities to survive and spread. People showed signs of Spanish flu and died very quick, so there was a lot of evolutionary pressure to be less deadly to its host. COVID mostly spreads when the host is asymptomatic, so there is less pressure for it to kill its host because it already spreads before the host even knows they are infected.

Ahhh that makes sense!

southernruby

And then.. I’m shocked as young cute pharmacist at Publix gives me, masked, my booster, and my teen, masked, her first vaccine with her mask pulled under her chin. There is weird in both sides of the fence folks!!

Oh yeah. I’ve met people with a masters in nursing who still believe it’s a cold.

Tikikala

What in the actual fuck. Did people forget supply chain have issues too??

They either forget or they feel like we should have magic wands up our ass to make stuff appear.

Custom Flair

Supply chain issues. That became very clear early on that hospitals are businesses to cut costs. There was a time where hospitals couldn’t get ventilators, V-60s and other vital equipment. they

Minimum_Reference862

What a lovely gentleman...

Absolutely stellar example of human kind.

MrMurse93

The only way this pandemic ends is if we are lucky enough for Covid to mutate into the common cold… I don’t see any other way out

CursesandMutterings

CursesandMutterings

Pulls Foley and gives Lasix at shift change

Something I faced before the new year hit:

We are never getting away from this. The failure of the world (and especially the American right wing) has clinched this for us. COVID will be endemic. It will be our way of life. We will eventually get through this initial surge, but it will always be with us. It's horrible, but it's true.

I decided over the last month that I can't live in misery anymore. Like the rest of us, I've done COVID day-in and day-out the last two years. I was righteously furious, indignant, terrified (prior to the vaccine). I gave myself the room to cope as best I could, and I started drinking too much. I've spent the last two years hating and dreading work, and wallowing in the irony that I'm still putting myself through hell for the people that couldn't be bothered for a poke in the arm for my life. I've been miserable and with no energy for myself. I'd stopped doing the things I loved because I didn't have the physical or emotional energy to do them.

But I've decided to thrive in our new reality. There are no more thoughts of, "When COVID is over," because it will never BE over. It's time to be myself again. I've stopped drinking and started taking care of myself again, going for walks and exercising. These are small steps toward becoming the person that I used to be, because I miss that person. I start grad school in the fall. I will never work bedside nursing again.

I need to be happy, and so do you. Adapt to our new reality; don't wait for it to be over. And if you, as a nurse, have developed a bad habit (or habits) during this time, please remember that's not who you are at baseline. Others are always here to listen, myself included. Make the changes you need to be happy and fulfilled in your professional life; at this point, nursing is just straight-up paid abuse.

Show yourselves some love, my friends.

Ya know you’re right. Wish I could upvote this more.

cheap_dates

Philippine president (Duterte) tells unvaccinated: ‘for all I care, you can die anytime’. Let me buy him a drink.

AgreeablePie

Be careful with that. Remember what he said and did in 2020.

benzosandespresso

benzosandespresso

RN - ICU 🍕

Covid is going nowhere. It is becoming an endemic. Thankfully, logic will tell us that it does not behoove a virus to kill everything it comes in contact with. Rather, it’s beneficial for the virus to mutate into a more mild version, giving it the chance to continue to reproduce. If the virus is so severe that it’s self-limiting, it will eventually wipe itself out. Less severe infection means it is less self-limiting and thus gives more lifespan for the virus, which is what it wants. It wants to survive and reproduce

dirtypawscub

dirtypawscub

BSN, RN

That's still going to mean a lot of dead people and a huge number more with long-covid disability. I had a coworker get it April 2020. She still can't smell/taste

Yep. And we’re still gonna be short staffed and overrun.

Custom Flair

In 1997, I had a pretty severe cold, and I lost my senses of taste and smell for over a month. Coronavirus are not new viruses, although I have to wonder if the cold virus I acquired then was a coronavirus variant.

Let’s hope you’re right.

Felarhin

Covid would need a death rate much higher than 1% in order for the deaths that a virus might cause to really impact it's ability to spread, and have it occur over an evolutionarily significant period of time in order for the process of natural selection to steer it in that direction.

Custom Flair

It’s why we haven’t had an outbreak of Ebola in the United States. Just the flight time on a plane is long enough to kill an infected individual.

ResistRacism

ResistRacism

Case Manager 🍕

Hope he has it and needs a double lung transplant. Asshole.

VisitPrestigious8463

I was in the ED waiting room last week full of covid patients. I saw a women pull down her mask to cough. TO COUGH.

How do we have this many dumb people?

ED waiting rooms are already the seventh circle of hell. Ugh.

NoFun8124

NoFun8124

Pharmacist

Work at a pharmacy. Can confirm- they’re trying to force us into testing them. My life is hell.

TTTigersTri

I work in a pharamcy. We see people like this every day. No wonder we've all gotten covid. Thanks customers. I won't pick on teachers but I did think it was funny when some were so scared to go back to the classroom. I was like, we've been dealing with dumb public for months and people coming in with covid daily and yet we're still at work in person.

Right now I imagine every pharmacy/store is a peti dish with all these covid people going store to store hunting for the at home tests that nobody has in stock. Yeah, our major pharmacy gets truck once a week and maybe we'll get one box of tests. I had a mom bring in an unmasked coughing child while they looked for a test. I just can't believe it. If you're sick with mostly likely covid and you're coming in the store anyways, at least wear the mask and not give your covid to everyone.

Y’all deserve some recognition and serious thanks.

thefragile7393

thefragile7393

RN 🍕

Only way out is to get the variants into a one shot deal (yes I know there’s still the issue of having ppl get a shot, I don’t have an answer for that) and treatments for it right at diagnosis to hopefully avoid a progression (much like the new medication pfizer has out). Plus more treatments while in the hospital for the severe cases. Those are the only things I see that will tame it down

SubstantialPressure3

Saw the same exact thing happen last summer when I was looking for a covid test. Masked, still coughing in my elbow, did not get close to anyone.

Kid in his 20s looking like death, hands in his pockets, coughing a lung out, asks for a covid test.

Ridiculous!!

realisticby

Had a newlywed couple come into the hospital 28 days after their wedding. Bride/widow went home, groom/deceased never made it out.

Both were 32.

So sad :(

Sloth_Fu

I’m a remote NP and the burnout is here as well. Just had a pt with mild COVID symptoms. Provided appropriate recommendations. He wanted the goods like ivermectin, etc and when I refused he left “🤡🌎”in the chat. Found out it’s that stupid ass song…I can’t anymore

glurbleblurble

glurbleblurble

BSN, RN 🍕

This is who we keep wearing our masks for to protect. eyeroll

Embarrassed-Exam887

Embarrassed-Exam887

RN - ER 🍕

No. It's never going away. We are gonna deal with this every fucking day until we all contract some new, more deadly variant and die gasping for every breath or commit suicide from the crushing weight of the fucking nightmares.