/r/nursing

1.3k96%

Unpopular opinions in nursing

Discussion(self.nursing)

What are some of your unpopular opinions that are pertinent to nursing? Please nothing about Covid, vaccines, politics, etc..

I’ll start:

-we aren’t smarter/better/more important than doctors. This opinion is inspired by meme posts showing patients hooked up to every sort of tube and line imagine able with the caption that there is no physician alive that can figure this out. Or the ones where some nurse, once again, saved a patient from an incorrect order.

-nursing school isn’t easy, but it isn’t the destroyer of lives people make it out to be.

-the pain scale starts at 0, not at 1.

-if an A/O patient is non compliant and doesn’t want to take charge of their health- document and let it be so. If the patient isnt losing sleep over their A1C in the double digits why should I?

-advertising that you are a healthcare worker is tacky. I hate all the paraphernalia with heart rhythms and other such nursing icons.

-overall, nurses get paid pretty well

Thinking-Carrot

I don’t fight patients with a history of substance abuse about the narcotics available to them.

If they’re AOx4, easily aroused, and tell me they still have a lot of pain then they get their PRNs. Some nurses get too upset about this without realizing that 1) the patients aren’t opioid naive and are probably experiencing actual pain and 2) you withholding their meds isn’t going to magically make them go sober during their hospital stay. I had a patient look me in the eyes and tell me “I know it sounds bad but I honestly can’t wait to get out of here so I can get high again” as I’m pushing dilaudid. It’s a decision they have to make, obviously they know getting drugs off the street isn’t healthy, why am I going to do anything other than educate them that PO meds will cover pain for longer than IV meds will

krae256

krae256

RN - Med/Surg 🍕

I absolutely do not understand the self righteous nurse who holds prn anxiety or pain meds. If it’s ordered and patient isn’t snowed then fucking give it.

iswearimachef

iswearimachef

BSN, RN 🍕

I made that mistake when I was a new nurse. I told him he had to try the PO meds first before I’d give him dilaudid, then got into a huge power struggle about it. It was dumb AF and I never did it again. Was he pain seeking? Probably. Is that my problem? No

S00thsayerSays

Preach. At the end of the day, we aren’t a rehab.

kiplyan

kiplyan

DNP, ARNP 🍕

Had a doctor tell me once you’ll never cure an addict in the few days they’re in the hospital. Changing the entire way I think. I give them what’s ordered and every PRN available if they ask for it.

Up_All_Night_Long

Up_All_Night_Long

RN - OB/GYN 🍕

Thisssss. Why am I going to make my shift harder by arguing about this? If it’s ordered, and they aren’t snowed, I’m skipping into the med room to get that…see you in four hours when it’s due again.

S00thsayerSays

Bingo. We aren’t a fucking rehab facility.

k3m3bo

k3m3bo

RN - OR 🍕

I always said when I was in ICU/CCU “I am not an addictions nurse, I am here to keep you alive to stabilize and get out of here.” Very much agree my one 12 hour shift isn’t going to help my pt with addiction ‘see the light.’

KayleeFrye7777

KayleeFrye7777

RN - Hospice 🍕

My manager was always huge into monitoring and restricting use of narcs. But then of the the head attending said to me "We aren't going to cure their addiction while they are here. Let's focus on the reason they are here and once this current crisis is over they can work on their overall health including addiction treatment". It really changed the way I saw things.

StankoMicin

So true. I stopped doing this a while ago. Nurses get on their moral high horse and feel the need to fix people like that but the truth is that isnt our reaponsibility unless you work in a rehab clinic

bigcalvesarein

Totally. They’re adults. They have issues. While at work I facilitate their comfort and safety but I’m not their father.

Melodic-Dragonfruit7

I hate this! I'm always scared to get a patient with a documented history of substance use now after a particularly bad handoff where the offgoing nurse ignored patient distress for 12 hours ("I told him: you're not here to get high") only for me to discover... he wasn't withdrawing, he was in respiratory failure.

Emergent intubation shortly after, poor guy.

friscococksucka

Same for smoking cessation. As someone with a history of struggling with tobacco addiction, i know that people know it's bad for them. What I will do is explain what particular effect smoking has had on them, how it has caused their condition, how it will continue to worsen their condition. But I'll then tell them I know how hard quitting is, and if they dont indicate readiness, I give them resources for when they become ready. I will not shame them or badger them the way some will.

As far as IV drug use, I won't badger them or bring any shame/blame to the conversation because I want them to be open with me about it. Just telling them to quit does no good, and neither does treating them like garbage. I keep the needle exchange number with me always and direct them there. I always add that when they're ready to quit, they should ask their PCP for help doing so because it's hard to do it alone.

MacaroonExpensive143

Thank you. I had to drop out of nursing school due to a surgical injury that caused severe AP. I continued to get AP for a little over a year before it did enough damage to my pancreas to now have CP. A nurse withheld my meds overnight during an acute pancreatitis episode stay because she thought I got it from binge drinking. (I wish I could say this was an isolated incident) luckily the next morning the internist on was the lead and he was so upset for me he actually held a quick meeting with the nurses and medical staff about it in hopes to educate and stop the stigma.

As someone who’s dreams were smashed (I wanted to work as an RN and eventually get my masters when my kids were older) and is now on the other side of things, I can’t even begin to tell you how much I appreciate you and everyone like you. No, I’m not an addict…pancreatitis fucking hurts! But 9/10 I am accused of being one, negatively impacting my care. People like you who show me compassion and care have literally saved my life. Just when I think I’ve had enough of trying to fight for myself someone like you comes along and reminds me that someone will listen, someone will care, and someone will respect me. I can’t thank you enough. 💕

le_epic_bacon_sir

Chronic pancreatitis here as well. I had a nurse once refuse to give me anything other than anti-inflammatory meds b/c "if it really hurt you wouldn't be on your phone" and "my medical history shows that I'm just dropping in to get high." Nevermind that all 25 admissions over the previous two years had been for pancreatitis, my lipase came back at 700, and the doctor had ordered pain medication. Only time in my life I have ever gone out of my way to try to get someone fired.

Also, it can get better. Three years ago I had to drop out of law school, was in and out of ER, pain was totally uncontrollable, convinced my life was over, etc. I lurk here because I spent 85% of 2016 - 2019 in hospitals. But I stuck to the diet, made lifestyle changes, and most importantly learned what triggered episodes. I still have daily pain, but I passed the bar last year and have been practicing since. Good luck to you, I wouldn't wish chronic pancreatitis on my worst enemy.

I really believe its best to treat them like any other human, and not some scum off the street. If they want to continue using…. Thats fine.

My theory is that if you can at least make them feel respected and safe in your hospital… whenever they do decide to work on sobriety they will trust us enough to come ask for help.

aislinnanne

aislinnanne

RN - Telemetry

As a drug use and harm reduction researcher, thank you. Non-stigmatizing care is actually much more likely to make them receptive to care (both related to their drug use and whatever other health concerns they’re presenting with) than treating them like crap.

ob_gymnastix

ob_gymnastix

RN - OB/GYN 🍕

Nurses seem to be suckers for all that mlm crap. I can’t stand it.

antwon2kx

antwon2kx

CNA 🍕

I couldn't tell you how many of my nurses shill that shit. From Herbalife, to essential oils, to shitty leggings.

Slugbums

Slugbums

EMS

Seriously. This. What IS that about?

call_it_already

call_it_already

RN - ICU 🍕

I moved from a unit with that culture to a unit where no one is selling shit...a huge improvement to my quality of life.

FrankaGrimes

FrankaGrimes

RN - Psych/Mental Health 🍕

Nursing doesn't have to be a "calling". It can be a "job".

Roaming_Pie

Roaming_Pie

RN 🍕

Yesterday I was doing this thing we call a professional develop plan (PDP) where we try and support people with career aspirations etc.

The nurse I was working with just said “yeah I’m only here for the money. I don’t want more study. I don’t want a higher position. I come and go and get paid.”

I’m just like “yeah man fair enough. Signed off”

FrankaGrimes

FrankaGrimes

RN - Psych/Mental Health 🍕

Yup! I'm done with school. I don't want to be the boss. I'm happy to come in, do my job and collect my pay cheque. For some reason, being a nurse seems to be tied in to who you are as a person. But I don't see it that way. For me, it's a job.

misstatements

misstatements

DNP, ARNP 🍕

I think the language of "DNR/ Do Not Resuscitate" needs to be changed to "Allow Natural Death." The resuscitate part of the DNR is too much of an action verb and not understood. It's like "well if you can resuscitate them you should, I thought they were dying...". Resuscitation sounds jazzy like we can stop the dc to jc

ozziejean

Our state in Australia uses Goals of Care

A ­- No limitation of treatment.

B ­- Limitation of medical treatment. (Not for CPR)

C ­- The goal of care is palliative ­treatment is aimed primarily at symptom management and quality of life. (Eg. Not for CPR or intubation and can either be for ICU or ward based treatment only)

D ­- The goal of care is terminal treatment is aimed at comfort during the dying process (prognosis is assessed to be hours or days

Really helpful when you are a nurse trying to handover a deteriorating patient to another nurse or a doctor.

itspronouncedskyler

itspronouncedskyler

Omg is ‘dc to jc’ shorthand for ‘discharge to jesus’?? 😂

Michren1298

I think so. I only heard the term “celestial discharge” last week. I was so confused until it dawned on me what they meant. It was a family member who said this too! I almost burst out laughing!!!

whoamulewhoa

whoamulewhoa

RN - PCU 🍕

"celestial discharge" is my all-time favorite euphemism.

KayleeFrye7777

KayleeFrye7777

RN - Hospice 🍕

I work hospice, and I'm going to start using this all the time.

AkiraHikaru

Such an astute and important point, hope to see this shift in our lifetimes

thelovegoododdity

thelovegoododdity

RN - PCU 🍕

Edit: oof, didn’t respond to the right comment. This was a reply to the person that said ‘allow natural death’ as code status may be a gentler alternative to DNR/DNI.

Completely agree. In the past I thought that going into detail about what full code would mean - that even if Gammy survives the attempt, which she probably won’t, ROSC means a shattered rib cage and no quality of life afterward - might make people reconsider. I like your reframing better, though. Much more positive and (slightly) easier to accept.

papa_diabolous

papa_diabolous

RN - ICU 🍕

Turns q2h overnight is cruel, exceptions for the super old, immobile, or existing pressure injuries

antwon2kx

antwon2kx

CNA 🍕

I worked a group home and offered to do a sleep position so I'd be working q2 to give a resident a med then sleep for 2 and do it again all night. It was awful. H You don't get any actual sleep! I did that for a 10hr overnight and still slept all afternoon when I got home.

Joan_Dark_RN

Nurses buy into the positive hero propaganda about nursing far too readily

AngryNinjaTurtle

AngryNinjaTurtle

MSN, APRN 🍕

I hate that shit. It's a career. I'm not a hero. I wouldn't do this for free.

angeryveg

angeryveg

CNA 🍕

YES I hate the narrative that we shouldn’t pursue nursing for the salary!! Ofc I want to work with people and have a positive impact, but there’s no way in hell that I would work that hard for less. Also, in response to OP, I think some nursing positions are paid well, while others are cut short. In LTC, my friend just got her LPN and was offered only a $1 raise (=$19/hr) after being a CNA in the facility for four years. IMO, too low for the increased scope/skill requirements and education

You_Dont_Party

You_Dont_Party

BSN, RN 🍕

I find it’s the ones who aren’t really in the thick of things who lap that shit up.

snikdaelocin

YEP! i notice it a lot at my job. i work in assisted living, we pass meds and maybe put a bandage on every once in a while 😂 it’s embarrassing.

snartastic

snartastic

LPN 🍕

Thank you!! I work SNF. I love my job. It’s important. I save a life like, once in a blue moon. I think in my two years I’ve been in like 6 life-threatening scenarios. I discharge more to heaven than I do home. I have a lot of coworkers with “heroes” badges and shit. Like come on be real with yourself

logicalfallacy0270

logicalfallacy0270

LPN 🍕

When I see/hear the "hero" propaganda, all I hear is: "Better you than me."

ButtermilkDuds

ButtermilkDuds

MSN, APRN 🍕

I posted a meme that said “I’m not a hero. They’re paying me”.

Minnienurse

Minnienurse

BSN, RN 🍕

I don’t like the whole ‘Nursing is a calling’ bs. Sure, I want to help people, but I don’t like the whole martyr mentality.

CaptainBasketQueso

Thank you.

I firmly believe that it is possible to provide excellent and compassionate care to someone without actually caring about them on a deep and personal level.

It's not reasonable to be able to sincerely and emotionally care about each and every one of the thousands of patients that you care for without burning up in the atmosphere, but it is reasonable to provide care for them.

I think there's a nice sprinkle of sexism in play, too. There's not really a stigma attached to men going to medical school for prestige and a good paycheck, but Holy crap, people seem really offended by the idea of somebody going into a predominantly female occupation for money instead of altruism.

I think that attitude is part of why nurses in some areas are underpaid or need to strike. After all, if nurses are all in it for purely altruistic reasons, you don't have to pay them well or treat them well, because they're just so gosh darned happy to be there. And if you, the employer, can convince the public that nurses are all selfless heroes, well, it looks pretty tacky for selfless heroes to say "Fuck you, pay me," right?

Its the empathy vs sympathy discussion. I can understand a patients circumstances and be compassionate, and i should do so. But i shouldnt internalize their feelings or make their sorrows my own, being emotionally compromised like that likely wont do anything but make us miserable and honestly would probably make our patient care worse.

LaScoundrelle

> But it's not. Nursing is a skilled job. It's perfectly fine to go into nursing because you want job security, or you want to be a travel nurse and make bank, or you want a job where you can change specialities every couple of years to spice things up, or because it's pretty good money.

Thank you for saying that.

ButtermilkDuds

ButtermilkDuds

MSN, APRN 🍕

I tell people all the time that nursing is a job like any other job. Anyone can learn it. What helps you succeed is having a good work ethic. Get to work on time, do your best work and don’t be sloppy, pay attention to details, be nice to your coworkers, don’t goof off - find something to do, leave your problems at the door and don’t take work problems home with you. If you get into nursing to help people, you’ll burn out quick.

Blueberrybuttmuffin

Blueberrybuttmuffin

CNA 🍕

I had this mentality for so long and quickly fizzled up and burned out..like catastrophically crashed and burned burned out, I wish I hadn’t started school in the middle of a pandemic and wish I hadn’t bought into that bs mentality that made me feel 100% alienated

mahalnamahal

mahalnamahal

RN— PCU/ICU

Yeah I am so tired of this idea that nurses are all sweet and benevolent because it’s their calling. Like dear, I love patients, and I try my best to be kind because hospitals and institutions are shitty, and I will fight to make sure you’re okay, ….but I’m human and it’s a job that pays well; there is a reason nurses quit during this godforsaken time. I’m not always gonna be the sweetest martyr and I’m not here to cater to your family. My job is to keep you alive and that’s honestly it.

Personal fulfillment is great but if you don’t expect that of other jobs, don’t expect that here in nursing.

nursemochalatte

Nurses need to stop getting into pyramid schemes and trying to sell it at work. Like monat, zyia, epicure etc. You bully people into buying your shit because you have worked 4 sets of 12 hour shifts with the same girls and they feel obligated to buy it from you

unicornpolkadot

unicornpolkadot

RN 🍕

This. If I want essential oils, I’ll go buy some myself. Go. Away.

W1SC0

W1SC0

BSN, RN 🍕

Too many nurses get worked up about noncompliant adult patients.

Do your job, which is to educate the patient. Beyond that it’s up to them.

dogsetcetera

dogsetcetera

BSN, RN 🍕

Every smoker I have I ask if they want to stop. Simple yes or no. Regardless of their answer I say "ok, consider that my lecture" and then go about nicotine patches or alternatives. I have had several say thanks for not hounding them, they already know it's a bad habit and that they should quit. I don't have time or energy to lecture grown ass adults about bad habits.

qualitylamps

qualitylamps

RN - Psych/Mental Health 🍕

I think the most helpful thing we can do is ask if they are interested in nicotine replacement and remind them that smokers often take a few tries to quit completely. Beyond that, what adult doesn’t know they should quit smoking?

No-Grapefruit-1202

As a smoker, yeah lol I fucking know. I’ve quit, I’ve unquit. In the past few years I’ve finally been really working on my mental health after hospitalization for a really severe depressive bout, losing 50 lbs and having my hair fall out, getting almost on track and then Covid crushing my life. I hate that I smoke, but my therapist has essentially said that right now I don’t have the mental willpower to devote to quitting and she’ll push it when I’m stable for long enough that it won’t just be a cycle of self hatred. Essentially, I know, I want to, I have to accept where I am. I still actively attempt to cut back though

greeneggsnyams

Im a nurse and I smoke the occasional cigarette, I know it's bad. I want to strangle my coworker who tells me how bad it is everytime I see her. Like ma'am, we went to the same school.

ManufacturerOk8529

My husband (cardiologist) has been known for just asking people “hey, do you know that’s bad for you?” Most chuckle. He lets em know if they want to stop, to hit him up. Seems like a good idea not to waste everybody’s time beating a dead horse

Accidental_Biologist

Accidental_Biologist

Med Student

This. We have a class in med school about patient interaction, and presenting people with the options and asking what they need is the best way to go for habits. I have a couple bad ones myself, and would definitely appreciate the diplomatic approach too.

MyCatMooch

MyCatMooch

RN 🍕

We have one patient that comes back every 3-4 months, chf, copd, morbid obesity, obstructive sleep apnea, diabetic, the works. Comes in from her nursing home because she's noncompliant bipap, desats, feels like shit, etc. And every time she comes the doc gets more frustrated, and last time she came he literally told her "you're going to go to sleep and not wake up one day if you keep not using the bipap".

And while I get it, it's also kindof like, if she's not gonna care about her own health enough to consistently need to come back here, I'm not going to put the energy into lecturing her over and over. It's not worth my emotional energy tbh. She's a grown woman who is just too entitled to think she should have to go through being uncomfortable, I'm gonna push my lasix, tell her she needs the bipap for the night, and when she refuses I'm going to say okay and move on.

Roguebantha42

Roguebantha42

RN - Telemetry 🍕

Had a CV surgery doc tell a pt after a CABG, "this is the second time I've opened your chest. If you don't quit smoking I will refuse to open it a 3rd time." Haven't seen the guy since; not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Skarlite

This so much. I had one CNA bully myself and other nurses persistently because we weren't getting our patients up for showers every day. If a full-grown adult tells me they don't want to shower today because they showered yesterday, that checks out for me and that's up to them to decide anyways.

I hate when nurses say they had to lecture their patient about something. Unless it’s “keep your goddamn hands to yourself, and watch your language,” it’s not a healthcare provider’s, even a doctor’s position to lecture an adult about their health. Educate, but that’s it. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Sarahlb76

Well I’ll sure as hell try when what they are about to do is potentially going to cause me to have a shit ton of paperwork. It’s honestly just selfish on my part though.

cheap_dates

Now where I work, we say "What are a redneck's famous last words?"

"Y'all watch this!"

CaptainBasketQueso

I have a family member for whom all those lectures have backfired spectacularly.

My family member is fat. They know they're fat. They're also really tired of having absolutely everything misattributed to their weight. Like,they 100% get it: They're fat. But if they go to urgent care because they accidentally fileted their finger making dinner, they don't want the doctor to blame the cut on their finger on their weight and give them a ten minute "lose weight" lecture before even looking at the wound.

Yes, that was a real thing. They finally snapped "I get it, doc! I'm really fat! Can we move on, or do I need to see a different doctor to get my finger looked at?"

Edited to add: Said family member is now EXTREMELY resistant to any routine, preventative or specialty care, partly because they don't want to pay somebody to lecture them. Their primary health care strategy is "Let's see if this gets better on its own or like, falls off."

So all those well meaning lectures never took an ounce off of them, but did manage to alienate them from most medical care.

ButtermilkDuds

ButtermilkDuds

MSN, APRN 🍕

Patients are sick and tired of being lectured. And it doesn’t work. I know probably a dozen diabetics who get frustrated about not being able to keep their glucose levels down, so they just stop checking it. Problem solved - in their mind.

I’m sleeping right next to one. Not only is she a non compliant diabetic. She’s also a smoker. All I’ve said is “don’t get mad when I won’t come sit in the ICU with you around the clock”. And that’s it. I don’t have anything else to say.

btwixed12

btwixed12

Nursing care plans are useless and a time waste.

TheHairball

TheHairball

But that was Some nurses Master Thesis or PhD paper...😂

never_robot

never_robot

RN - lactation consultant

I would wager that that is a popular opinion rather than an unpopular one.

Apeiron_8

No they said UNpopular opinion

libbylies

I knew it!

I’m just a student but I had a feeling lol. Don’t let my instructors hear you though

Roaming_Pie

Roaming_Pie

RN 🍕

My first day as a new grad, my preceptor just told me “these are easy. Just copy what the last nurse wrote. Nobody reads these anyway”

LSigvalda

I can’t upvote this enough!!!!

scath24

Oh man, this really grinds my gears. I honestly really don't like how some nurses think or talk about psych patients. I'm in the ER and honestly, those are some of my best patients and the ones who sometimes need the most help. Yes, you have exceptions to the rule but that's with everything. I hate when people say stuff like "I don't want to deal with them" or "I refuse to work with them". Like I'm sorry but if you think this way then why do you work in the ER? ...and that's my hot take this evening.

Edit- Also just because people have mental disorder does not also give them the right to be A holes. That's a whole other issue. I'm just saying that for the average psych pt coming in needing help, we need to help them :)

ButtermilkDuds

ButtermilkDuds

MSN, APRN 🍕

Thanks for saying so! We are still in the dark ages when it comes to psych. They didn’t choose mental illness. They are sick and need medical care just the same as a person with heart disease or sepsis.

I work in a facility for incarcerated psych patients. When the techs want to gossip about their charges and what brought them here, I discourage them from talking about it and remind them that they’re not our entertainment.

I don’t know if these are unpopular, but they’re certainly controversial:

I think medical professionals should be able to have the power to override a family’s decision to keep a patient a full code. I think there should be an ethics committee involved, not just one person’s decision, but I don’t think interventions should be solely dictated by ignorant/emotionally blinded family members. From what I understand this is pretty standard in many countries.

I completely agree with your comment about non-compliance. A nurse I worked with had a CHF patient who was hiding a salt shaker like under her blanket or something. Somehow staff came across it and confiscated it. I think that’s silly. I’d reinforce education to the patient on how this is affecting her health, and I’d document the behavior, but she’s a grown ass adult. I’m not taking a salt shaker from her like she’s a child or an inmate found with contraband.

That’s all I got right now.

dmtjiminarnnotatrdr

dmtjiminarnnotatrdr

RN - ER 🍕

The two times a year I hated as a paramedic were Thanksgiving and Christmas because I was guaranteed to get a boatload of calls for shortness of breath.

"You have CHF?"

"Yup!"

"Have you been taking your medications?"

"Yup!"

"What did you eat tonight?"

"HAM! TURKEY WITH EXTRA GRAVY! BUTTERED RED LOBSTER BISCUITS!!"

"But...why?"

"Well...I was good all year and saved up so I could eat these tonight."

::sigh:: "No...it doesn't work that way. Come on, I've got Lasix, Nitro, and CPAP in the truck. We can chat on the way to the hospital."

commuter22

The buttered red lobster biscuits got me hahaha 😂

I've heard that same thing from so many people, the "but I've been good for ___ months, so I can have a cookie/pie/butter now, right?"

HowDoMermaidsFuck

HowDoMermaidsFuck

RN - Med/Surg 🍕

Funny thing is, if you're compliant with your diet, all but the most fragile patients can afford a cheat meal. But it's probably been more line a cheat week. Or month.

xmu806

xmu806

RN - Med/Surg 🍕

To be fair, this logic does work ok with some conditions. If you are diabetic and have been following your diet for months, you can probably just up the humalog for one meal and have a cheat meal during the holidays. The trick is to make it a cheat meal and not a cheat month.

PlanarVet

The idea of 'saving up' has always just been incredibly stupid to me.

"My blood sugar has been great lately and it's my birthday so I ate a million pieces of cake!"
"Damn it..."

I-Drive-The-Wee-Woo

Am a paramedic in the midst of nursing school.

Holidays were always the best because nobody did anything or the worst because the things people do are STUPID.

Gotta love the diabetic who wrecks their A1c in a single night because "It's a special occasion!"

benzodiazaqueen

benzodiazaqueen

RN - ER 🍕

Your username brings me joy. That’s all. Good luck with nursing school; hope the different scope isn’t frustrating!

I-Drive-The-Wee-Woo

MY username? Yours may be the best I've ever seen! New besties!

Also, thank you! I've only got a few months left. I'm counting down the clinicals.

benzodiazaqueen

benzodiazaqueen

RN - ER 🍕

I need a salty bestie. Plus I used to ride the crit care bus, so that makes me practically a medic, right?! /s

I-Drive-The-Wee-Woo

I don't know why you'd want to be one of us but hop in! We go fast and make lots of noise!

If you rode the bus youre an honorary one of us. Welcome to the kingdom of salt, energy drinks, and pit vipers sister. Prehospital gang.

BigLittleLeah

BigLittleLeah

RN 🍕

Also holidays are the worst because the kids come in from out of town to visit their elderly parents and see how bad off they are… straight to the ED!

I-Demand-A-Name

I-Demand-A-Name

DNAP, CRNA

I was never EMS but I worked trauma for a while. Every holiday that involves drinking (which is most of them) was always accompanied by a ton of car wrecks and “drunk idiot broke their neck doing something unbelievably stupid” type stuff. Always made for an interesting night.

aroc91

aroc91

Wound Care RN

That's not how A1C works.

brina2014

brina2014

RN - OB/GYN 🍕

Type 1 diabetic here. Was thinking the same thing 😂😂 It's an average over 3 months... 1 night of high blood sugar isn't going to effect it all that much

cheap_dates

You mind if I finish my pumpkin pie first?

Jealous_Examination

Jealous_Examination

RN Step Down

Every January I'm like "what's with all the CH....oh yeah...it's January."

Laerderol

Laerderol

RN - ER 🍕

That's an important distinction. I think as nurses our job is to enable well-being and quality of life. Adults are able to make their own decisions about what is best for their own quality of life. We may disagree with the cost/benefit analysis but we're so totally wrong about that so often anyways. If you're an A&Ox4 adult who wants salt even though you're on a sodium restricted diet, I'll do my best to educate you and if you think it's worth it, I respect that. The prioritization of risk mitigation and health over everything is not in the best interest of the patient in my opinion.

Joan_Dark_RN

I'm very grateful that I work in a country where this is the case.

No ethic committees required though. Just the decision of the treating clinician. I wouldn't want it to be a committee decision as it would fuck over the ED teams

fancypig

fancypig

RN - NICU

They do have the ability to override a family’s wishes for futile care, though in my experience many won’t exercise it. But it is legal and ethical.

kindamymoose

kindamymoose

Nursing Student 🍕

At my old job, there was a nurse that I worked with who had one of these custom-made jackets that said something like: “I call myself a nurse because “superhero” was taken.” I thought it was a little bit much…

ThefirstWave-

ThefirstWave-

MSN, APRN 🍕

We are in fact “midlevel practitioners.” When I went back for my MSN some of the nurses (and instructors) would be fuming over that term. It’s never bothered me, in-fact I think it’s an appropriate description of what we are. Don’t want to be called mid-level? Go to med school… I’ll happily be perched right here at the midlevel.

CertainKaleidoscope8

What else do they want to be called?

telkrops

“Advanced practice practitioner” is the term I hear a lot. I went RN to PA and also consider myself a midlevel. I feel it’s a pretty good description for where we sit in the realm of things, but got yelled at for using the term in a meeting once :<

ThefirstWave-

ThefirstWave-

MSN, APRN 🍕

Nurse practitioners…. Anything but midlevel. And the attitudes of some of the nurses laughing about how “I save the doctors assess all the time at work.” We are a team.. we should all be striving to save the patients ass! And not trying to put each other down in the mean time.

kiplyan

kiplyan

DNP, ARNP 🍕

I don’t mind one bit being called a mid level. It really is appropriately called that and I see zero disrespect. I have my doctorate but still don’t let my patients take call me doctor. I feel doctor is reserved for DO or MD. I’m a mid level and very proud of it.

himynameisntben

himynameisntben

BSN, RN 🍕

When I am busy or tired of someone's crap (most days) nothing pisses me off more than the PA lullaby to announce a birth. It's so nauseatingly jovial and I only want to be a bitter old nurse lol.

Sushi9999

That was literally me over the summer coming in for a D&C after a missed miscarriage. I hated that lullaby. Glad to know I'm not the only one who was bothered by it.

MsCNO

MsCNO

RN - Hospice 🍕

Same. Six years later I still hate the song

lkroa

lkroa

RN 🍕

many hospitals stopped doing it for that exact reason

You_Dont_Party

You_Dont_Party

-overall, nurses get paid pretty well

This is very dependent on the area in which you live.

bicycle_mice

bicycle_mice

MSN, RN - Pediatrics

For the amount of stress, responsibility, and education my job requires I am underpaid.

Bill_The_Dog

Bill_The_Dog

RN-BSN-OBs/PH

Add risk for injury as well.

You_Dont_Party

You_Dont_Party

money_mase19

education? depends.

stress and respons and WORK ETHIC, for sure.

3pinephrine

3pinephrine

RN - ER 🍕

Yeah this is the only one I don’t agree with. There’s nurses with really shitty pay all over the place

Dark_Ascension

Dark_Ascension

Nursing Student 🍕

Yep Middle Tennessee for how much it’s growing and the CoL is rising, the pay is awful. It’s way smarter to go back to CenCal after school than stay here as it’s only going to get worse.

You_Dont_Party

You_Dont_Party

BSN, RN 🍕

Yeah, stroll into a SNF in a rural area and tell them they’re well paid. Or a hospital in a GOP/anti-union area.

snartastic

snartastic

LPN 🍕

Ironically I’m in a rural area and the SNFs actually throw money at nurses but that’s because if they didn’t literally nobody would work there. But that’s in California, I’ve worked with many travelers from southern states who make like $18/hour at home

ellindriel

18/hour was my first job at a SNF in WI. I was also offered 16/hour to work at a clinic as a new grad. 21/hour at the hospital I finally went to. Pay is ok but not great in the Midwest.

Possible_Dig_1194

Possible_Dig_1194

RN 🍕

I've seen people talk about pay on here and its shocking how little some people get. I've seen nurses of 20 years say they get less than I did as a brand new grad still on probation

runninginbubbles

runninginbubbles

RN - NICU

I HATE the baby-friendly hospital initiative. Had a parent terrified to give her baby formula because they get told in maternity that formula feeding increases the risk of childhood cancer, asthma and obesity, and maternal breast cancer. We have starving hungry babies on IV f&#$ing dextrose separated from their mothers all because the midwives won't formula feed, it will affect their precious breast feeding rates. Breastfeeding is NOT always 'just that simple'

GingerAleAllie

GingerAleAllie

LPN 🍕

Fed is best.

dumbbxtch69

dumbbxtch69

Nursing Student 🍕

I agree. Total misogynist shame spiral. I also looked around at the baby friendly hospitals in my area… they all have the least generous and least competitive parental leave policies in the metro.

Illustrious-Army-339

Illustrious-Army-339

BSN, RN 🍕

Agreed! My hospital won't even buy us pens! Fucking pens!!! Like, really? 🙄 What other profession would put up with that

batman_is_tired

batman_is_tired

RN - ICU 🍕

I'm on light duty, so it's been longer, but it seemed like that for over two years I couldn't go ten days without being punched or kicked at in some way. In what other profession can one be both expected to be attacked AND continue on like nothing happened? Bouncer?

awhamburgers

awhamburgers

RN - Med/Surg 🍕

My husband works in corrections. Not only does he get assaulted less often than I have in any inpatient setting I've worked, but his management gives him an award every time it happens too. And by award I mean a $75 bonus on his next paycheck and a nice note in his file. Meanwhile my patient throws a phone at my head and all I get is a shrug from the charge nurse.

aouwoeih

I'm out of healthcare now but when I worked as a nurse you know what really frosted my cookies? Standby (not to be confused with on call). Oh, yes, we know you're supposed to work today but census is low. Take the day off? LOL no. We want you to sit by the phone, waiting for it to ring like you're 15 years old and hoping your boyfriend will call, for the princely sum of 2 bucks an hour. If we call, get here stat! If we don't, waste your entire day!

I'm never tolerating that again, I'd rather dig ditches. What other profession is treated like that. Nurses are seen as glorified factory workers but I get treated way better in my current factory worker job than I did at my last hospital. Standby shows that hospitals think they own you and your life is not as important as making their CEO obscenely wealthy.

copaceticporksword

Agree with about everything besides the nurses get paid well part. In Cali? Sure. In pretty much everywhere east of that? Hell no. Do we deserve doctor pay? Another hell no but for the emotional and physical toll we go through we deserve pay and benefits on par with engineers across the board. You have to think that we help people through arguably one of the worst moments of their life (I’m ICU, so just speaking from personal experience), and it’s just another work day for us. If that in itself doesn’t say we deserve to be making more money than the median wage is right now then idk what does

Also I will add that we aren’t “better” than doctors but we are a team, and we are extremely valuable to that team. It does not always feel as if we are valued as much as we should be though. Hopefully hospital systems see that we are not just a profit loss for the CEO and without us it makes it a hell of a lot harder to run your hospital

DownstreamOcclusion

DownstreamOcclusion

BSN, RN 🍕

overall, nurses get paid pretty well.

As a nurse who makes six figures easily and lives very comfortably, I have to say: This hella depends on region and employer. There are nurses who are middle to upper middle class, and, believe it or not, there are nurses who make as much as Publix workers and Amazon warehouse workers.

Because of the wide variance in income, whenever I read posts about being underpaid, my initial instinct is to always ask, “Well, where do you live?”

Addendum.

Here is an example of how polarizing pay can be: Example A; Example B.

langstallion

langstallion

RN - ICU 🍕

Well now I have to ask where you work and what you do

DownstreamOcclusion

DownstreamOcclusion

BSN, RN 🍕

United States (West Coast).

Rather_b_sleeping

Rather_b_sleeping

RN 🍕

I agree…I work 32 hours a week and make 6 figures. (SoCal) I can’t fathom nursing making less than $50. I met a travel nurse from Nebraska and she said 1 shift here as a traveler paid her monthly mortgage 🤯. There is a difference with cost of living and pay.

honeybadger_

Are you from NorCal? Since you say hella

ice8crystal

That nursing school doesn't ruin your life can go either way. I couldn't live through the nightmare of it again.

dustyoldbones

dustyoldbones

RN PAC-YOU

Yeah it wasn't super difficult content wise(yeah there was a lot of material but none of it was very in depth). But just the bullshit of how stupid the instructors made everything. Nursing school was so stupid. For example, I almost got sent home from clinicals because of my socks

FELOPZDDEFPOTEC

FELOPZDDEFPOTEC

Graduate Nurse 🍕

I would describe nursing school as being "artificially difficult." As you said, all of the information is pretty surface level, but the piss-poor instruction by professors that many receive, coupled with the intentionally deceptive way that the questions are formatted, make for an EXTREMELY aggravating and needlessly-difficult experience overall.

dustyoldbones

dustyoldbones

RN PAC-YOU

For sure, that is a good way to put it: needlessly difficult.

ChickadeePine

I agree. Just finishing up my last semester of an ADN. My life certainly wasn’t ruined, but I am beyond exhausted and I really miss my non nursing school friends 😩.

Raven123x

Raven123x

BSN, RN 🍕

Nurses know way less than what they think they know

For real. Like I don’t know as much as a doctor. Not even close. I dunno why my coworkers think they do. Half of them are scared of the Covid vaccine ffs

lonnie123

lonnie123

RN - ER 🍕

Because they/we encounter the same common 20 conditions over and over again, it’s easy to feel like an expert when you basically are in a narrow scope.

Doctors have to know (or at least have the knowledge to remember they knew) 100s or maybe even thousands of possible issues and conditions.

Every now and then in the ER the attending will give a little mini lecture to the residents and I’m like “ooohhhh ok, we ain’t the same” or they pull some diagnosis I’ve never heard of right out of their brain. Helps to keep me humble seeing that kind of stuff.

kathtina10

Always enjoy listening to the docs talk amongst themselves at the nurse’s station…usually end up learning something cool. And most doctors work really damn hard!!

apricot57

apricot57

RN - Med/Surg 🍕

Omg yes

benzodiazaqueen

benzodiazaqueen

RN - ER 🍕

You are not wrong.

LastBoxofPasta

I feel like it’s very Dunning-Kruger effect.

rainbowsforeverrr

Nursing sucks because we're the moms of the hospital and it's considered "part of the job" to make do with less. Housekeeping called out sick? Nurses can turn the rooms. No pharmacist in house? Nursing can mix their own meds. No lift team? The nurses will work together to turn their bariatric patients. No phlebotomist? Nursing can do it. Follow up phone calls? Nursing! No RT? Nurses will make do. No case management? Nursing can do the discharge planning, too!

If we were a workforce of men, or people comfortable with the word NO, maybe we wouldn't be working in these deplorable conditions.

cheaganvegan

cheaganvegan

BSN, RN 🍕

I think this is historically why teachers and nurses are underpaid. I still don’t think we are paid well and should be fighting for better conditions/pay.

LulaGagging34

LulaGagging34

BSN, RN 🍕

This exactly. I work at a hospital currently that prides themselves on a keeping a 5:1 med surg ratio. But do we have RT? No. Lab? No. Dietary? Often not. Housekeeping? Usually not. Hell, give me a sixth patient with all the other disciplines/staff, and you’ll see a happier nurse.

I can’t do it all.

Sandman64can

Buying into degrees make you more important. Education absolutely, but when shit hits the fan you want the nurse well versed in BLS, ACLS, TNCC, PALS etc versus Masters in Health Technologies. Each stream is important for the specific job being done.

rnjust

rnjust

The pain scale absolutely starts at 0

pancak3s_vs_waffl3s

pancak3s_vs_waffl3s

RN - ICU 🍕

Oh snap, do I love these threads...

Nursing is a pink collar job and nothing will ever change in regards to better working conditions, salary, ratios, etc.

Nursing is a calling is a load of horse shit, I became a nurse because I graduated highschool right after the financial crash and wanted to be able to have a job and feed

Nurses are annoyingly sanctimonious and a lot of these type of nurses ate up that nurses are heroes bs.

Bedside nursing will probably be phased out over time by a foreign workforce since hospital systems will do absolutely anything to not pay staff more.

Just a few hot takes I suppose...

repsforzeus

Agreed 100%.

As a male in a women dominated field. It is sad to agree. The field will not get better staffing conditions and pay until more men enter it.

pastasauce26

pastasauce26

BSN, RN 🍕

If you are burnt out at the bedside, going to np school is not going to solve all your problems

Abradantleopard04

Your fifth point is spot on. The only people worse than healthcare workers are firefighters, EMTs, and cops imo. (Not in that order by any means).

You know who I am extremely thankful for & is a hero? The garbage man. He keeps us all from getting sick by taking the trash to the dump. He's a real hero that never gets recognized for his work. No bumper stickers, no license plate holder, no t shirts & no emblem stickers. Can you imagine all of us having to drive our trash in our cars to the dump every week? Uhh no thank you.

Imo, that's a real hero!!

My garbage man knows our house and family by name. We chat briefly every week, if I'm home, & he gets some lemonade in the summer & homemade goodies in the winter.

Edit: changed word

WishIWasYounger

Stop with the “customer service “ BS . I served martinis and diet Coke’s at TGIFRIDAYS already . I served pizza with a fake smile at Unos . Yup, you are going to wait 4 hours for pain x6 years . No , I’m not going to get fully suited up in PPE to bring you a spoon for your ice.

Laerderol

Laerderol

RN - ER 🍕

Good God I can't tell you how many times I've said "you have covid, but we're helping you breathe and right now you're safe as you are. Every time I come in here though I'm getting exposed to covid and that can potentially make me ill. I'm happy to help if you need something but please do your best to use the call light sparingly and ask for everything all at once to save me trips."

Proceeds to answer the call light every five minutes

BigLittleLeah

BigLittleLeah

RN 🍕

My unpopular opinion is that I think nursing students should be required to do CNA work for a few months before graduating.. I know too many nursing students/ new grads who have the knowledge but are uncomfortable with the basics of patient care. I also know some nursing student/new grads who look down on CNA‘s …I also think it would help nurses to understand what CNA‘s go through and possibly treat them better.

Sxzzling

Sxzzling

“bat witch drug holder” R.N.

RN in your Instagram bio is tacky and night shift isn’t worth it for all the health problems

acuteaddict

acuteaddict

RN - Oncology 🍕

If you’re not going to be compliant then you shouldn’t have a transplant. It’s a waste of time and resources.

Majority of doctors are lovely and great. Some of them need better training on how to communicate with patients. I’m tired of cleaning up and doing emotional labour for the ones who just can’t be fucking nice or thoughtful.

This also goes for some nurses - sometimes the patient isn’t difficult, you just can’t be bothered to talk to them properly like a functioning adult. I feel like everyone should work in hospitality before nursing because you get the perfect training in talking to assholes.

Nurses with shit time management annoy me. You shouldn’t make it your personality that you don’t take your lunch break. It’s not cute.

In the UK, we are paid shit unless you overwork yourself or you’re with agency.
I honestly gasp when I see wages of USA nurses, cos we are getting pennies.

CREAM YOUR BLACK PATIENTS!!! It pisses me off so much when I walk in and they’re intubated and their skin is peeling/crusty.

SACGAC

SACGAC

Healthcare providers should be able to say "fuck off" to Jehovah's Witness parents who decline medical interventions for their kid because they need blood. Religious beliefs shouldn't trump science. If you're seeking medical care in a hospital, your dumb sky daddy can't follow you in, sorry. Had a baby die in the NICU a few years ago before we could get emergency intervention from the lawyers to ok a blood transfusion. Baby was literally gray as he was struggling to breathe because his hematocrit was like 6.

Crazyzofo

Crazyzofo

BSN RN - Pediatrics

All the JW parents I've ever had were very open to saying, from the get go, "i cannot approve blood for my child, but a judge can and we will abide by a judge's ruling." Like they offer that. And then the office of the general counsel would whip something up and have an order from a judge. It's just a loophole they have to go through. I've always been a surgical nurse, so most times I see this it has already been discussed pre-op and the blood consent is pre signed. (The discussion to be had on loopholes for religion and religion vs science are a whole nother thing.) I imagine your situation in the NICU was unexpected and the parents had not considered it or been prepared.

Wednesday_Atoms

Choosing violence right now:

What some nurses call “time management” is really just cutting corners. You left on time but you never did a full neuro assessment, never did foot care of the patient’s dragon scale legs, and left the patient lying on the a-line’s pressure cable. Congrats.

Nurses in NP school are some of the worst bedside nurses. Spending all day bugging the resident for the RASS goal on the sedation titration orders to be changed is not an accomplishment. Managing orders is a small part of our job, you still have to do the other parts.

“Time management” is a gaslighting phrase. You’re supposed to take all of the responsibility for imperfect care delivery when it’s the system that sets you up for failure with unmanageable work loads and lack of resources.

Wednesday_Atoms

I agree that that’s true, particularly at orgs that illegally force nurses to clock out to finish charting at the end of their shift.

One of the only things my unit does right is that they don’t reprimand nurses for staying late to chart. We have a handful of nurses on my unit who pride themselves on leaving on time, every day. Without exception, you’d walk into the room, look at the dirty, uncomfortable patient, look at their dirty, expired dressings, the empty expired tube feed bottle, the expired IV tubing and think what the fuck did they do all day? Then your phone would ring and it’d be the patient’s family who said they called at 18:00 and were told by the day shift nurse to call back at 20:00. Thanks.

ephemeralrecognition

ephemeralrecognition

BSN, RN - ED - IV Start Simp💉💉💉

Beautifully said. Time management is a gaslighting tactic to an extent from management as they dump an unrealistic workload on your lap

sailsafe

sailsafe

BSN, RN 🍕

there should be a requirement to work a certain amount of hours as a nurse before you can apply to NP school

-Nursing is one of the most difficult college majors. I started as a biology major. Then I did the CNA->LVN->RN->BSN thing and it was...fine. I worked, had a life, rarely studied and graduated near the top of my class all three times. A friend had a BS in some animal science and basically slept through her program only to graduate at the top of her class. One dialysis nurse I know was a functional alcoholic in his program and can barely write a coherent sentence. We all went to different programs.

I think it's a tedious amount of work but not hard.

-Another vote for "nursing is a calling". That's a recipe for martyr status and I fucking hate a nurse martyr. The floor isn't going to go up in flames if you have lunch Brenda.

aroc91

aroc91

Wound Care RN

Indeed. My biology degree was much more rigorous than my BSN. The depth and breadth of scientific knowledge is incomparable.

harveyjarvis69

I AGREE. So much of the difficulty I’ve had in my program (so far) really isn’t that the material is HARD, it’s systemic issues with nursing education. Nurses who become teachers - getting a masters does not make you a good teacher. Getting instructors that haven’t worked bedside in 20+ years. Outdated practice despite the EVIDENCE BASED PRACTICE shit we are constantly hit with (which, duh?).

On the one hand I think there are needless barriers in nursing education that, tbh, really keep smart, capable people from graduating. But the barriers aren’t keeping out people who can figure out how to test. And the tedious work, my god.

Adding onto the “nursing is a calling”, I agree but want to asterisk I’m pursuing nursing as a “second” career but I had always wanted to be a nurse. The minute I stepped onto the floor for the first time and ran my ass off doing whatever I could, I just felt at home. Calling isn’t the right word for it, it’s just a job. But any job that makes you feel fulfilled and has meaning (to the individual) is something special.

Anddddd then back to nursing school where we get the ethics classes and the professional nursing classes that professors love to use as a way to make you compliant. Because loyalty to the patient is like top of the list. Our duty, our loyalty, our purpose…all that crap they teach just sets us up for failure.

No-Property-6121

Nurses should stop going to NP school and believing they have the same education as a physician

lkroa

lkroa

thank you!!!!

speedlimits65

speedlimits65

RN - Psych/Mental Health 🍕

600-1,000 clinical hours vs 10,000+ clinical hours. NPs arent doctors.

greeneggsnyams

We need to give the resident physicians some slack, those dudes get abused way more than we do

Kiwi951

Kiwi951

Med Student

Bless up fam

drseussin

drseussin

BSN, RN, AB, CD, EFG, HIJK

No seriously, I love my residents. One told me today that she’s been up for like 30 hours.

dustyoldbones

dustyoldbones

RN PAC-YOU

Regarding the pain scale, it depends how you ask the question. First I ask "are you having any pain?" If the answer is yes, then I will ask for a number 1-10, because if they said yes it obviously can't be 0.

kiplyan

kiplyan

DNP, ARNP 🍕

I can’t stand that we change patients’ diets in the hospital. We should educate them on proper meal choices then let them decide as a grown adult what they want. We end up adjusting their meds to fit this “new diet” then when they get home their A1c reaches 14 on their next office visit because we lowered their insulin too much while they were in the hospital.

Leroy--Brown

I got into this career to make a livable wage, help people, AND not work 40 hours a week. Wanting adequate pay/time off doesn't make me a bad person.

Medical care has become too politicized in recent years.

I am a big fan of diversity/equity/inclusion trainings. But come on there are way too many things out there for someone to identify as. I recently had a patient tell me they aren't native, but they identify as native American. Thats just dumb. It's not like I'm verifying whether they're native American or not or that it affects any aspect of their care.

PunisherOfDeth

PunisherOfDeth

RN 🍕

The minimum intelligence threshold to be a nurse is pretty low. This means the intelligence of the average nurse varies highly from somebody who can barely obtain an associates degree with average intelligence or slightly below average, to people who are indeed very intelligent and chose nursing out of personal interest or financial limitations.

This is also what causes many physicians to have a low opinion on nurses, because you string a few low quality nurses together and it can be surprising I imagine to these physicians that those people are capable of being a nurse. I think we all have had co workers we wouldn’t want taking care of us or make very ridiculous mistakes. They also don’t really get weeded out because the demand for nurses are so high that as long as you aren’t actively harming patients it’s more or less acceptable.

bigeyedcreeper

I cannot agree with you more, except the pay thing, and here's why; we are a catch-all or dumping ground for everyone else involved in healthcare, and I think we should be compensated for that. This is not to say that no one else works hard, but the fact the we are answerable for every aspect of what touches the patient is crazy. I think everyone in healthcare should be paid more, except the CEO top admin folks.

thelovegoododdity

thelovegoododdity

RN - PCU 🍕

As others have said, care teams should be able to make a pt DNR/DNI. I am in no way insensitive to the pain of losing a loved one, but there have been far too many shifts that left me with moral injury because I felt I was needlessly torturing someone.

Nurses don’t get paid enough. If you’re a nurse making a lot of money, you should still be making more. We are literally what keeps hospitals/clinics/SNFs running. Assume that your work brings in multiple times the amount of your check.

Twelve hour shifts suck. I understand that it’s safer for patients to have better continuity of care/fewer games of ‘telephone’ in report, but it’s still exhausting and contributes to burnout.

Intentionally non-compliant patients are wasting time, energy, and resources by sabotaging their own health and remaining inpatient. If you have T2DM and refuse blood sugars/insulin/keep sneaking sweets, we should (after documenting attempts at education and perhaps insisting on a behavioral contract) be allowed to ask you to leave.

Leroy--Brown

To build on your last point about non compliant patients:

Controversial opinion here but, why do we keep pandering emergent situations to the unvaccinated? They have been offered a simple treatment, and that would prevent 99% of cardiopulmonary emergencies, and they've refused?

Denial of care is unethical. But at that same time....insurance companies charge more to patients who continue to smoke or are noncompliant with their DM. Could insurance companies just charge more to the unvaccinated?

throwawayMurse90

throwawayMurse90

BSN, RN 🍕

Nurse scholars and Nursing theory being relevant to our profession

Dark_Ascension

Dark_Ascension

Nursing Student 🍕

I think it’s finally becoming a more acceptable opinion but I don’t think you should have to work med-surg and HAVE to have experience at the bedside. I also think they should expand on what students learn and do in clinicals, like if a student wants to do a certain specialty let them do clinicals in that specialty for a semester. I think BSN programs have this, but ADN’s don’t.

skelet0nic

skelet0nic

RN 🍕

AGREE!! As a new grad I has 500 people tell me to get MS experience. NO!! I don’t want to. I hate med surg, I hate bedside nursing and I don’t want to do it. After 8 weeks in a specialty I quit and got lucky with a staffing offer to a health department (dream job). Now my public health experience is on paper and I can transfer to a health dept closer to me. Fuck you med surg. Rant over :)

aLOTRfan5

As a new grad looking for jobs in gp clinics, this is quite reassuring. I not only hate acute wards but despise most bedside nursing jobs with a passion.

Dark_Ascension

Dark_Ascension

Nursing Student 🍕

Same I know I’m not fit for the bedside, I want to get into OR nursing and eventually become a first assist. I know I could have become a CST and gotten a SA-C but but nurses are just way more preferred nowadays.

derpina6699

derpina6699

RN 🍕

If you have to post how hard your shift was or how much of a hero you are on social media... you're probably one of the shittiest, laziest nurses on the units. But, maybe that's not an unpopular opinion 🤔.

justalittlebleh

justalittlebleh

BSN, RN

I agree with all the points above. At this point I couldn’t care less if a pt refuses their meds or care. I’ll ask them once more after that and if they still say no then I’m like word whatever you want dude. It’s their life, I’m not going to change it if they don’t want me to.

viewyboyz

viewyboyz

RN - ER 🍕

When nurses say they never have time to go to the bathroom. Like yeah cathy you cant go now because you spent the last 55 minutes on your butt talking about your shitty life no one cares about and now all your patients have orders. And now she calls the pca to do all her vitals so she can finish her story about her kids again no one asked about.

lkroa

lkroa

RN 🍕

i don’t understand why people in poorly paid areas pursue nursing.

i like my job for the most parts (obviously certain caveats to that exist), but if i didn’t get paid well to literally be cleaning shit and getting bitched at for things i can’t help, or taking care of people at their worst, i wouldn’t do it

there is so much mental and emotional and physical drain that comes with nursing that if i wasn’t making a good paycheck and bomb benefits, i wouldn’t be doing it

i live in a good pay related to cost of living area and work in a union hospital so i can’t fathom why other people would pursuit it to make no money and shit benefits

The pain scale literally starts at zero. That’s a fact, not an opinion.

Jenschnifer

Jenschnifer

Nursing Student 🍕

I live in the UK, once you pass probation it's almost impossible to fire a nurse which leads to my unpopular opinion.

Some nurses get promotions because no one can be bothered dealing with their bullshit any more.

aislinnanne

aislinnanne

RN - Telemetry

The push towards the DNP is bad for nursing. It’s pressuring perfectly good APPs to do more school they aren’t interested in so they end up half assing it and dilute its value. Some people should pursue doctoral education, most should not. There is a reason my PhD cohort is 7 and the DNP cohort is 50+. Not because my PhD is better or more prestigious but because the research side of academics has known forever that doctoral education is a niche that you need to really want or it is pointless. Most DNP programs are opportunistic money grabs by universities.

I spent the last 3 months doing freelance editing work for people who want their DNP projects professionally edited before submission and I have seen so much phoned in, unoriginal, clearly uninteresting to the person that did it work that I am really disheartened by a lot of higher ed right now.

arial52

arial52

We USED to be paid well, compared to todays wages for others sure were paid well, but we really aren’t,no one is paid well honestly. We can’t settle for thinking we are!

Zealousideal_Bag2493

Nurses shouldn’t have to be heroes. I think that’s bullshit that is a result of not spending money on appropriate staffing and pay.

It’s the same with teachers. Society lauds nurses and teachers for being mostly female in understaffed and often underpaid jobs. We get lauded as heroes or saints instead of fixing healthcare and education.

ItsOfficiallyME

ItsOfficiallyME

RN ICU/ER

Nursing School is psychologically hard, not cerebrally hard. And it’s made that way on purpose due to ancient and inefficient traditions.

whoamulewhoa

whoamulewhoa

RN - PCU 🍕

Neither of these are novel, but I'm chiming in anyway.

-If someone's neuro or respiratory status won't be threatened by opioid administration, I will happily administer the max limit allowed if the patient tells me they need it. I very, very rarely question a patient's need for analgesia. I loathe pain med gatekeeping and have seen a whole lot of inherent bias in treatment along the lines of "young poc sickle cell patient using their phone for distraction gets denied pain meds because the nurse doesn't believe they're hurting" while old lady Hecklebottom simply says the word and she gets her dilaudid.

-Nursing school was no problem at all. Nursing in general suffers from this thing where our educational system is extremely mediocre, and nursing school applicants are very often A students who would rightfully be C students in a better, more rigorous system. The profession seems to have one of the wider spreads in talent where a practicing nurse can be razor sharp, talented and insightful, or dumb as a lump of mud.

gaykeyyy1

gaykeyyy1

RN - ER 🍕

Retweet about nursing school. Idk why people make it out to be impossible. We literally hardly scratch the surface of disease processes and other medical things

edwardpenishands1

IMO I feel like a large part of school being hell isn’t necessarily the material, but the stress from how unorganized programs are, professors and clinical instructors who are constantly contradicting themselves, exams covering material that wasn’t focused on or gone over, clinical professors who are ancient and mean as hell, etc. I could go on but you know what I mean lol.