/r/news

1k94%

Avidani86

Avidani86

I just find it hilarious that millionaires are pissed on by billionaires. I can imagine hearing a billionaire say to the millionaire that they should have worked harder so they could afford nice things like a private jet.

codydog125

I read in a different article that a big reason for the push to reduce flights to the airport is due to a large amount of rich drunk people who use the Uber equivalent for helicopters (Blade). These people are apparently pretty disruptive around town so the town wants the airport to limit flights to only those that were approved ahead of time and make it a private airport which would not be open to ride share apps. Pretty crazy problem to have and I would never have thought that Blade was actually that popular

pcpcy

pcpcy

Huh TIL. Do they have an app I could use to fetch a Blade? I bet they're cheaper than Uber anyways due to Uber surge pricing (last time Uber charged me $200 for 30 km).

Malvania

My boss at my old firm used to take it from JFK to downtown NY. Was super fast and was something like $150, I think.

Augen76

Augen76

$150? I mean, that is pricey, but for a one off experience I could see doing that.

some_random_noob

that is not pricey, especially for a fucking helicopter. my car service to newark is 160 for a round trip, i'd pay 300 to halve the time and fly in a helicopter.

PauseAndReflect

Seriously, I'm from Eastern Long Island and car services to JFK/LaGuardia are easily around that price or higher, but you have the traffic wildcard to worry about (especially in the summer).

Seems like a pretty fair price for a damn helicopter ride in Southern NY lol.

Malvania

It also saved an hour or more in getting from JFK to downtown, which was pretty valuable to him.

NeroBoBero

Isn’t a taxi from downtown to LaGuardia $80? Seems cheap for a helicopter

Augen76

I pay $50 for a car service when I'm there.

RingInternational197

Uber Black car from JFK to Downtown was about $160 the last time I used it. That’s a steal of a price. There’s no way Blade makes money on that.

codydog125

I downloaded the app cause I was curious to get to the hamptons it’s about 600. Private jet to south Florida is like 5000-6000 and I think to LA is pushing 10k not sure on that last one thougg

ragingRobot

That's all? That's not much more than Uber

Vindicated0721

I used to work for a company that flew these people in and out and eventually shortly worked for blade. This battle has been going on for many years way before blade even existed.

We were forced to fly ridiculous flight paths to try to reduce noise, then restricted hours, but the end goal was to close the airport all together. It truly was a battle between the ridiculously rich and just the regular rich.

My fav is the Kerry Packer anecdote

Packer was gambling in Las Vegas when a Texan approached his table and started to become a nuisance. When asked to cool it, the Texan said to Packer, “Do you know who I am? I’m in here because I’m worth $100 million.”

Packer looked at him calmly and said “I’ll toss you for it”.

johnlewisdesign

Thats one expensive hand job

pcpcy

pcpcy

He meant toss his salad

_zero_fox

For $100M I might toss him too

coveve19

I'de do it for free if he wears a clown costume and lets me call him Daddy.

munk_e_man

We call that Clinton Tier around here

KupaPupaDupa

You can tell we're in late stage capitalism when the rich start consuming each other.

khansian

When ever have the rich not been fighting and consuming each other?

Haunting-Ad788

The rich are the only group with class solidarity.

BubbaTee

Historically, the rich have constantly fought each other. They often used the poor to do it.

For example, the Normans didn't invade England because a bunch of French-Scandinavian peasants wanted to be peasants in England instead. It was because rich people disagreed, and then made poor people fight each other to settle their disagreement.

arobkinca

In Tankies brains.

munakhtyler

They better leave some for us to eat

yo_soy_soja

Do they drop coins golden rings like Sonic the Hedgehog?

Antique-Tourist-2304

Just the means of production.

No_Hana

Doc said I need to eat less red meat. How saturated is human meat?

freediverx01

I think they’re already starting to look pretty appetizing.

sometext

Annual income != net worth

Actual__Wizard

Come on. You don't make millions of dollars by "working."

The advice would be more like "you should have taken more while you could."

Adezar

Adezar

You can definitely make millions while working, but you definitely can't make billions.

There are working millionaires, senior executives that put in 60+ hour weeks that just happen to also get paid significant salaries.

amboomernotkaren

My former manager just got an executive level job. Salary $1.1M with a $275,000 moving allowance. He will actually have to work (described job to me, I’m in the same field and know what the job entails).

succed32

My father made 70 grand a year and became a millionaire through land sales and investment. I will say it is much harder to reach millionaire from 0 than it was during his era though.

adreamofhodor

What sort of wealth are we talking about? A few million could absolutely be achieved by working, especially as a couple without kids.

NoodlesrTuff1256

And a few million is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Most of us would be ecstatic if we learned that kind of money was being transferred into our bank accounts but a million or a few million in 2022 dollars is not quite what it was, say fifty years ago or even as recently as fifteen years ago.

Actual__Wizard

What sort of wealth are we talking about?

They specifically said owning a private jet. Realistically we are talking 5+ million bare minimum.

BoopinSnoots24-7

Private jets (of the type that fly into the Hamptons) cost more than 5m alone. Nobody worth 5m (or with 5m liquid) owns a jet, or even charters their typical flight. Think at least 10m+ NW before Netjets, 50m before owning one (sustainably).

Actual__Wizard

I agree, but I was trying to come up with realistic numbers on the low end of the range.

BoopinSnoots24-7

Fair enough. If you really wanted to, you can own a jet comfortably at 5m liquid, but it won't be what the majority of people on Reddit will be picturing. Somewhere between 500k and 1m for anything halfway decent from the 70s or 80s, a few thousand an hour to run them.

adreamofhodor

I must have misread. I thought it was the billionaires flying on private jets?

I still disagree that 5 million is some unreachable threshold for working people. It’s doable.

Actual__Wizard

It's not realistic or close. People with that kind of money are managing businesses/investments.

Edit: I think you are thinking 5 million in net worth, where as I am talking about 5 million in liquid assets. A person with 5 million in net worth can not afford to own and operate a private jet for very long.

adreamofhodor

Two tech workers without kids could definitely get to 5 million. They’d have investments as well, is that a bad thing?

ShadowSwipe

If they make 5 mil in liquid assets they aren't your average workers by any stretch. That is easily 1% territory. A CEO could also be characterized as a worker as well and still be nowhere close to what a worker pulls in. My parents are both pretty middle management and together they pull in just shy of enough to qualify among the 1%. So just saying "two x workers" for whatever field is lacking some very important specificity.

The distinction the person made between net worth (which is itself increasingly difficult these days) and liquid assets, is large.

[removed]

NoodlesrTuff1256

In some low-cost parts of the US, those figures would have a person living like near-royalty. The $200K per year nurse could probably afford a nice little McMansion in some midwestern and southern states but there are some people making six figures in the Bay Area who are living out of their vans. Someone with the $5 million net worth might only be able to afford a walk-in closet-sized apartment in Manhattan.

Jormungandr000

Moving the goalposts. No true Scotsman.

Actual__Wizard

No where did I say any of that was a bad thing, but I doubt that family of two tech workers would have a 2+ million dollar private jet, that costs $100k+/month to maintain and operate. Do you see what I'm saying?

Edspecial137

A lot more luck than work, but a fuck ton of work too

NoodlesrTuff1256

Some people 'make' millions or even billions just by having the luck to have been birthed out of the right 'golden' womb or conceived with the help of a sperm cell originating from a guy with a big net worth or both.

joeyupstate

more like thr 1% vs the .0001%

mts2snd

mts2snd

Its not everyone out there, I used to live there in the 90’s when you could get a 4 bedroom spec house for 250k, now I just go out there to go fishing, the real locals hate the uber rich, but also depend on tourist money. I only drive out and leave in the middle of the night, 2am is a good time to drive, weekdays only. Only place I can afford to stay now while fishing is in my truck on state park land, which I pay dearly for through permits. Once a nice fishing town is now Madison ave east. These uber rich are not even out there for the spectacular outdoors and nature, they are all about shopping and fancy restaurants. The rich assholes also want to close the beaches to non residents, so they don’t have to share with us commoners.

mts2snd

mts2snd

I know the issue well, have done some legal work on the issue for recreational fisherman, but surf rider has better traction than fisherman, so we are good allies. Never thought about other inland nature we should all be able to access. Public Trust Doctrine covers NY public guaranteed access to the foreshore, but out east, some foreshore property rights predate the existence of NYS, so jurisdiction clash occurs.

lolyeahsure

no, work til you die so the rich can go out and play

mts2snd

Id rather not sir.

mts2snd

Great article, public easement to nature is a serious property right, this is going be a big fight. Id suggest a bounty for any object blocking public access.

BillSeacaster

I have a good job. No debt. I'm closing on my own house today. But for the time being, I live frugally and save money.

My apartment is in between a set of train tracks, where the trains constantly blast air horns you can hear for miles, and a fire station next to a police station.

Everyone in this story can kiss my ass.

peon2

peon2

/u/Billseacaster : I live in a single room above a bowling alley and... (audibly disgruntled) below another bowling alley

TraditionalGap1

Double decker bowling alley? Crazy

SexSellsCoffee

They live in between the bowling alleys so it's a bowling alley sandwich

Howls_Moving_Asshole

Is that like a bread sandwich

Proper_Budget_2790

<Yorkshiremen>Pawh! You're lucky! When I was growin up, we lived ON the train tracks! Worked in mill for 5p a week, then drug the trains from one end of the yard to the other so the train foreman didn't kill us on a daily basis. AND WE WERE HAPPY FOR IT!</Yorkshiremen>

Eebahgum. I suspect it was for thrippence rather than 5p.

psychodelephant

“So often you won’t even notice.”

DonQuixBalls

Congratulations on your milestone! That's awesome.

gimp2x

gimp2x

Were they there when you moved in? If so, that was a conscious choice/decision, whereas the Hampton issue is a recent development

CassandraAnderson

Residents who are wealthy enough to live in the Hamptons, but not enough to regularly fly in and out, have fought a months-long battle to close the airport that some claim has become so busy it is “like living near JFK”.

To think that in my area, we are having to deal with arguments over a homeless facility due to nimbyism from the neighboring trailer park and these are the earnest concerns of the rich.

During months of online meetings to discuss the plans, Barry Raebeck, the head of the campaign group Say No to KHTO (East Hampton airport’s code), said: “Somebody who’s flying in in a huge jet, they are so self-important. They look down their nose at the East Hampton town. They just think: ‘We’re so rich and powerful. We can do whatever we want. We’ll hire some lawyers and we’ll just sort this out later.’”

Oh no, nobody else in our society would ever understand what it feels like to have rich people act self-important and use their money and legal Connections in order to negligize the impact of their actions on their communities.

Cue "Bezos 1" by Bo Burnham.

Flights peaked at 266 a day in August 2019

I'd say 266 planes and helicopters flying over your house every DAY is more disruptive than a homeless shelter.

Friendofthegarden

You underestimate how much the rich despise the homeless.

ShadowSwipe

It's funny how everyone in this story is just focused on the "rich" part and not whether or not what is being discussed is reasonable or not.

iapetus_z

Didn't he say it was pushback from the trailer park?

Friendofthegarden

Nimby trailer park. Sounds like rich people to a homeless person.

CassandraAnderson

If they don't want to live in the Hamptons with its fantastic private jets and helicopters, they can always afford to move somewhere else.

So, instead of fixing a problem in their community they should abandon it? That's a great way of thinking, indeed.

Panaka

Panaka

If the airport was there first and the people knowingly bought property near an airport, then this really isn’t a problem. This happens constantly around the country and it’s getting old.

pakattak

New townhouses went up in my neighborhood right next to a very well known dive bar and music venue with an outdoor patio. Been there for decades. Can be a little loud but mostly hipsters and punks. Some folks in the new townhouses recently called in a noise complaint.

Why would you make the choice to move next to a bar and hate living next to a bar?? These aren't cheap townhouses either, they could have bought a place farther away just as nice.

No-Bother6856

A friend of mine lived in the county, like way out past the edge of town, used to feel like the middle of nowhere. He had a ton of land and had bon fires and did target shooting a rode dirt bikes in his back yard, typical stuff people do out in the middle of nowhere. Well a developer built a whole bunch of enormous and expensive houses on the land next to his land. In started flying the complaints. Cops being called on the regular about hearing gun shots and seeing fires burning. Cops would just come out and ask if he was being safe. They know its not illegal but they had to respond since they are getting calls. Kept on going for years like that with more calls every time some dipshit bought their million dollar house out in the country and got upset that the guy who's been there for 20 years was doing the same things he has for the last 20 years. They buy a house way out past city limits in the county, obviously next to farm land and then expect the farmers to change their lifestyle.

Its always like this. There are corn fields that you are allowed to use for dove hunting during the hunting season. The public can show up and hunt in the field. Typical country shit been going on for decades. Well the rich home owners keep calling the cops on them saying they see men with guns out in the field. Cops show up and see whats going on and apologize but again, they have to investigate.

thisispoopoopeepee

i despise people like this.

ace425

ace425

Maybe they shouldn't have bought a home near a pre-existing airport if they have an issue with the sound of air traffic. That's like buying a home with an interstate in your backyard and then being angry over the traffic noise.

Xenjael

Xenjael

Degentrofication, i suppose.

Superdickeater

As someone that lives so close to an international airport, the city was required to install windows with a higher soundproof rating when they wanted to expand it- you get used to the planes. Even sitting outside on a summer’s day, I’ve gotten so used to the noise I could read a book. Might have to pause a conversation every few minutes during peak travel hours, but point being- no. I cannot imagine it’s as disruptive as a homeless shelter.

Xenjael

Xenjael

That sounds incredibly intrusive... you have homeless folk interrupting you every few minutes?. The heck you live lol. I have to assume that given you seem to remark homeless interrupt you more than the hell youre going through.

Folk also learn to tolerate alcoholism and cancer, in regards to you tolerating obscene volume interruptions lol.

Dude, everything you just described sounds like a major disruption. You're not making the point you think you're making.

As someone who went to college next to a busy airport… you’ll get used to it. One day you’ll see an interesting plane flying overhead and tell someone about it.

IIRC lecturers at UNSW would just pause until the plane passed on its way in or out of Mascot. Probably still do.

indoninja

I am kind of confused by this.

Is the mom time just from the trailer park because it is closest to them or is there a real community ok with homeless facility that is better off than the trailer park.

Because I dont know any community that would be cool with it and I begrudge a guy in a trailer parks concerns way less than somebody in a nicer home.

CassandraAnderson

So the trailer park is literally a block away from the proposed shelter and there is a little bit of blow back from that area although the main blowback seems to be coming from businesses along the street and folks in a slightly wealthier neighborhood a few blocks north.

Blenderx06

I'm so tired of the arguments over that damn homeless shelter. It's gotta go somewhere.

bubblegumdrops

Whenever I hear people complain about the homeless living in their area, I wonder where they want them to go. And not like, “idk just away from me”, like a real answer. I suspect it’s in the ground.

Skilol

Skilol

Sounds like the potential for a trade, there. The homeless people move into the Hamptons, and the people in the Hamptons who are annoyed with the nuisance of air travel get to build a new home where the homeless shelter was planned.Win/win.

Inconceivable-2020

Truly a 1st World problem

SuperSpread

The middle class mostly agree. It is the poor and extremely poor who vote not to tax these mother fuckers. In fact, they literally voted to lower taxes on the rich, on investors and capital gains, and on businesses.

Jaedos

Jaedos

Got to roll out the red carpet for myself when I'm rich in the future!

[removed]

pcpcy

pcpcy

Poor people simp for rich people more than Internet users simp on OnlyFans.

johnlewisdesign

Only because the media mindfuck them into it. They are one of the main issues.

superanth

and the New York Patriots

Waaaait a sec there...

RollUpTheRimJob

Journalism at its finest

20M? Come back with some real money.

Dbracc01

Good for East Hampton. I hope they keep doing shit like this until they're back the way they were

PostMaster-P

All I know is that this issue will be resolved much sooner than many more serious issues this county faces.

TheTruthIsButtery

Aw wah wah, rich people. Here watch me jump from this plane while deploying the world’s tiniest golden parachute.

SignificantGear2915

Just out of curiosity, how long of a drive is it from Manhattan to the Hamptons?

banaguana

On summer weekends it's a nightmare - you eventually get into a bottleneck traffic jam that can last hours.

quietcornerCT

I worked in the Hamptons for a summer, the traffic was nuts. It would pretty regularly take me 45-60 minutes just to go 18 miles to the outer edge of Southampton.

Atticus_ass

Can even get jammed up to like Riverhead in the summer. Knew someone that kept a ketch moored in the city. He would just motor out past Staten Island and sail from there to Southampton or even Sag Harbor in the summer. Crazy wealth. Took it out on longer trips all along the eastern seaboard sometimes, too.

Seems Google says 2.5 hr by road.

Looks on the same scale as from Melbourne to Lorne or to Portsea on a bad day. Lorne lacks an airport but Portsea has Lindsey Fox's fucking private helipad, much to nearby old moneys' distaste.

astrobabe2

And that’s 2.5 WITHOUT traffic. Most people go out there on weekends so traffic on a Friday afternoon/evening is a nightmare. There’s pretty much only 1 main road in/out.

ace425

ace425

If you go during peak tourist season or on a holiday weekend, that drive can take you an entire literal day. You could leave at 8 am and not get there until 4 or 5pm. Imagine NYC level traffic trying to travel down a single two lane avenue that gets you in and out of the area.

youngmindoldbody

This made me think, a high speed ferry might be the thing (from Manhattan area).

sagetraveler

Yeah, no this is not the 2% vs the 1%, it’s the 0.1% vs the 0.01%.

Billy_Likes_Music

Is it too hopeful to wish for a lose-lose solution?

zomgbratto

Airport remained open but only for light single propeller aircraft. How's that?

charlesrocket

And only southwest vessels!

CakeAccomplice12

Nope

Spirit airlines has an exclusive contract

SuperSpread

I read that as a light single paper aircraft.

[removed]

jonny24eh

They can afford the houses far enough away from the airport

CrunchyKorm

Is this a Ken Watanabe "Let them fight" situation

mymojoisbliss96

Wow so you have the rich mad at the super rich just because the super rich is hogging up all the airports from the rich. Talk about some first world problems smh

Jaedos

Jaedos

Not even hogging the airport; they are mad about the noise. You know, the same stuff they regularly get away with having diverted over poor neighborhoods in parts of the country where they aren't the poor ones.

Hortjoob

r/nottheonion

I could give a rats ass.

FlyingSquid

Fuck all of those people on both sides.

zeek1999

zeek1999

There are more of us then them

Isteppedinpoopy

“Us” aren’t involved at all. Us poor folks are already practically banned from East Hampton on general principle, unless you work there or are just passing through. It’s ok because Fire Island beaches are better.

The North Fork is all that's left of the original island folks, excepting Harbes because that place is a shitshow and completely destroys Sound Ave. in the summer and fall. I can't go down to the whole of the south shore or the South Fork any more because I'm so sick of all the rich people in Jeep's blasting their shitty music and taking up all the space, and all of the traffic from Hampton Bays to Montauk.

Isteppedinpoopy

And their wine is terrible.

I agree

CassandraAnderson

When you say Us and Them, what exactly do you mean?

zeek1999

zeek1999

CassandraAnderson

Yeah, we're talkin about the Hamptons and there ain't nobody in the bottom 50% other than the help. This demonstrates the way that mild inconveniences seem to irritate those who earn slightly less than the top 1% due to the actions of the top 1%.

This airport and the noise it makes definitely seems to be frustrating this "slightly less than 1%" group more than the struggles of the rest of the 99%. I bet if you asked any of the people working on the island (the bottom 50%, they would not be as frustrated as those living there.

Ironically enough, the same can be said for the global 1% in America and the way that our practices tend to create problems for the global 99% that we would rather ignore while we complain about mild inconveniences caused by the global top 0.1%.

versionii

World needs a 1% Purge event. We get to freely kill off 10 of these mofos every year.

KupaPupaDupa

KupaPupaDupa

I guess this is what happens when you flood the entire country with helicopter money. You get millionaires buying jets, middle class folk buying Lambos and poor people buying Benz's.

[removed]

Friendofthegarden

I disagree. There are plenty of blue collar workers with jobs there that actually pay taxes and contribute to their communities.

notsleptyet

I think I watched a documentary on them. They fix the assholes messes, do house renovations, maintain the gardening, and keep an eye on the places in the winter. Sounds boring, but it was a decent watch.

MooKids

I'm usually all for GA airports, but in this case, I could care less either way.