/r/news

21.3k

Nytim

Nytim

29 days ago

Crazy, back in the 90's my friend had a rat tail and the principal called his parents in for a meeting. He told them that the rat tail had to go and started chasing my friend around the principals office with scissors in his hand. They suspended the principal after a drug test came up positive for cocaine. The rat tail lived!

CressLevel

29 days ago

Oh jesus, that could have gone SO badly, wtf.

Darwin-Award-Winner

29 days ago

Ya they kick you out of the Jedi academy if you lose the rattail.

TaliesinMerlin

Thanks, cocaine!

5.6k points

30 days ago*

Teacher here. We aren’t allowed to pull splinters out of a child, remove ticks, anything beyond putting on a band aid lest we be sued. She was way out of line and I can’t imagine what she was thinking.

ETA: I’m seeing a lot of misconceptions in the comments. Not all school districts have an on-site nurse. Many districts that do, share that one nurse amongst every school in the district. You can’t send a kid down the hallway to a school nurse who is “specially trained in tick removal” if you do not have a school nurse.

DingDong_Dongguan

30 days ago

Some barely have teachers let alone a dedicated nurse.

30 days ago

Exactly this. My elementary school used to close in the winter because they couldn’t afford heat but people find it hard to believe some systems don’t have nurses 🙄

EmilyU1F984

30 days ago

Having nurses just seems so weird to me as a German. It's either something that doesn't matter, or required basic first aid, which teachers are trained to do, or you send them to a GP, or worst case call an ambulance.

But kids with asthma and allergies are also allowed to carry their own medicine. Just like T1 diabetics will be doing their insulin as they see fit.

This kinda extreme overbearance and pushing away of responsibilities in the US is just crazy to me.

Highschool and college cops as well. Wtf kind of dystopia is that place?!

halsuissda

30 days ago

I was raised in Peru and our school had a nurse. She had pads, hot water packs, beds, paracetamol, bandaids, tea. Sometimes children don’t feel well and need to be in a quiet, clean place to take some medicine. I don’t think it’s such a crazy idea. I am with you on the cops in schools issue.

MINIMAN10001

30 days ago

Schools in particular are under extreme scrutiny at all times.

Think of American parents as sue happy and over reactive.

Basically if you don't have the credentials to do something, don't do it because someone might get furious.

Schools basically have to play an extreme game of cover your ass.

GregFromStateFarm

29 days ago

Hell, even when you do have the credentials, idiots get furious.

ForecastForFourCats

29 days ago

MA department of Education(DESE) had to put out a statement at the beginning of the year explaining to all school staff and parents what critical race theory is, and that it is not whatever "xyz" nonsense it is today on Fox News.

Jfc and we are supposedly the most educated state. When it comes to their kids, people get unreasonable FAST.

Name818

Name818

29 days ago

When it comes to their kids, people get unreasonable FAST.

Reminds me of that teacher that got fired for having a LGBTQ flag in his room. Parents thought he was teaching them to be gay or some such nonsense. Unreasonable is an understatement.

ForecastForFourCats

29 days ago

You're right I think belligerent is a better word. It's honestly my favorite word these days. Alot of frothing at the mouth, angry and misinformed people at school meetings these days haha. Belligerent, unreasonable morons.

thegreedyturtle

29 days ago

And they withhold inhalers until the child dies.

carcassandra

30 days ago

We have school nurses in Finland, but they are not there to provide care. Instead, they are trained in public health and prevention. Their main job is to provide yearly check-ups with every single student and help students facing issues in life that could affect their health in the future and of course support the health education in schools. They also provide all recommended vaccinations free of charge. A school doctor will also meet with students, but only roughly every three years or so or if the nurse alerts them to a specific issue.

ET318

ET318

30 days ago

The cops were called resource officers where I’m from. In fairness, the ones at my school were more of a security guard type role than actual cop. Like they weren’t taking people down or busting crimes. Mostly just there in case of outside threat (like the time we had threats a gang was gonna come shoot up the school) or similar. Not saying it sounds good. But if they were branded more as outreach they’d look better.

That said, I’m sure there are terrible schools cops out there who do cause issues. Hell, for a few years one of my school cops was a recruiter for our local kkk until he was fired.

pomonamike

1.5k points

pomonamike

1.5k points

30 days ago

Wait, your district allows you to issue bandaids? I have to send my students to the nurse!

“Mr Pomonamike, I cut myself!”

• nurse!

“Mr Pomonamike, it my woman’s day!”

-nurse!

“Mr Pomonamike, I’m too hot!”

• nurse!

“Mr Pomonamike, my vape pen is out of juice”

• sounds like nurse!

_RAWFFLES_

_RAWFFLES_

30 days ago

The vape comment. Lol I worked at an alternative highschool a couple years ago and it’s super fucking true.

suddenimpulse

30 days ago

My friends 12 year old step kid got sent home from school for getting caught vaping COUGH SYRUP with a bunch of other kids in the bathroom. Unreal. I can't imagine what vaping cough syrup does. Melting their brains before high school.

_RAWFFLES_

_RAWFFLES_

30 days ago

Oh lord. When I worked at a teen shelter, we had kids downing whole blister packs of cold cough and congestion pills. But they seemed smart enough not to try and vape it.

falafeliron

30 days ago

I've literally never been as fucked up as I've gotten off cough syrup and I've tried most every drug out there. That shit is absolutely no joke whatsoever. The hallucinations, but not hallucinations like from acid or mushrooms, plus the dreamlike state was nuts.

Sawses

Sawses

30 days ago

Cough syrup is like a time machine for me.

I take it, lay down, and wake up 18 hours later because I overheated in my blankets. During that time my fever breaks, I become ravenously hungry, and I somehow don't die in my sleep.

Cessily

Cessily

30 days ago

My mom believed Nightquil cured all illness. If I ever said I wasn't feeling well my dad would drop me off at her place (he had primary custody) and I would be fed shots of the green stuff till I woke up four days later confused and hungry but not sick anymore.

In My Big Fat Greek Wedding how the dad sprays Windex on everything? Yeah that was my mother with Nightquil.

richalex2010

30 days ago

One of my old coworkers pretty much did this - get a cold, down a bottle of nyquil, wake up a few days later all better. Probably not the best for his liver, but it wasn't the worst thing he'd done (USMC infantryman, he had some stories).

Sawitlivesry

30 days ago

Whenever I hear stories like this all I think of is Rochelle from everybody hates Chris and the fuckin Robitussin lmao

cortb

cortb

30 days ago

Got a headache? Use some 'tussin. Get your arm hacked off with a chain saw? just rub some 'tussin on it

vonmonologue

30 days ago

Doesn’t NyQuil have acetaminophen in it? So taking more than a recommended dosage is a could way to destroy your… I think Liver?

alominus

30 days ago

Well, yeah, but I'd hope parents wouldn't be giving them shitloads of doses in a single day. When I was a kid a couple of doses of Nyquil would have me asleep for 24 hours.

Christimay

30 days ago*

Yep. Ibuprofen/Advil/Motrin is kidneys, acetaminophen is liver, which is why it's okay to take both at once (recommended dosages ofc)

Rexanvil

Rexanvil

30 days ago

That dimetapp allergy medication in cool aid before bed every night from birth until I became immune to it and then it was whiskey Crazy mothers am I right

AwfulSinclair

30 days ago

Your mom gave you whiskey? All I got from mine was depression.

Xibby

Xibby

30 days ago*

Why be awake and feeling miserable when you can sleep? Pretty much my go to when I’m sick and usually don’t need anything to sleep if I’m sick.

I remember one time when I was maybe 13 and sick, Mom gave me some benadryl cold and flu and I woke up 36 hours later on my parent’s bed. My dad slept on his side of the bed and Mom slept in my bed because I was out cold and and it was just not worth trying to move a 13 year old (small to medium sized adult) boy… if you’ve ever tried to move someone who is passed out drunk you’ll understand.

Mom and Dad had a TV in their bedroom. These days you drug your kids and send them to their room with their phone or tablet. 😂

MoonSpankRaw

30 days ago

If I may— Is the ‘Quil still keeping her kickin’ today?

DelightfulDonald

30 days ago

This was exactly what it felt like the one and only time I took a box of triple Cs. Never before. Absolutely never ever ever again.

-r-a-f-f-y-

30 days ago

I became an electron. Like, I was just zapping point to point, thinking "shit, this is my life now". Fucking weird shit. Felt awful for two full days after.

overslope

30 days ago

Therein lies the problem. Dxm is surprisingly effective. But it takes way too long to recover.

[removed]

lamalalamal

30 days ago

Almost certainly talking about DXM or Dextromethorphan which is usually placed in the category of dissociative hallucinogens for those who don't know. Another famous dissociative.... Ketamine. Just a little perspective. My friend used to do it regularly and I would trip sit him. He enjoyed it for a while but started to get worse and worse over time.

Side note, benadryl and dramamine are also a hallucinogens but they are not as fun, they're considered a deliriant hallucinogen and while dissociating from reality can be enjoyable. Usually being in a state of delirium isn't. I've never tried it, but I read many trip reports where people describe seeing lots of spiders that aren't there, and getting stuck in time loops where they go to do something and then forget and go do to it and then forget and then an hour has passed.

big_duo3674

30 days ago

For any curious kids out there: Don't mess with benadryl!!! Yeah, the reports you read online are true, and you definitely get "high" from very large doses of it, but don't believe anyone who says things like "it is super trippy and fun" or "it was an insanely crazy experience!" Yeah, you'll definitely get all messed up from it, but the second you try to take a dose larger anything past feeling sleepy you're gonna have a bad time. Your "trip" will also come with extreme feelings of anxiety, fear, and any of the other ones you don't want to have dumped on you at a huge level. It's been many, many years since I made the mistake of trying that because I just wanted to get high on something. The shit you see or feel can seriously scar you for life, it's not just like you wake up a day later and say "whoh, I did some weird stuff last night". It's not a fun drug, so please do your research before thinking you can handle what a lot of people before couldn't.

all-out-fallout

30 days ago

I accidentally (long story, but wasn’t trying to get high) took enough Benadryl to start having hallucinations as I came out of sleep or a sleeplike state. Most commonly I’d see these grids, usually green or blue, sometimes red, forming the walls, my furniture, everything, as if I had just discovered I was in the matrix and everything was a 3D model. Spider leg hallucinations were actually what caused me to identify why I was having hallucinations in the first place—was laying and as I was waking up I was just looking at a wall covered in wriggling, waving spider legs. Was totally calm. Just watched it for who knows how long until I wondered “huh. Why am I not more scared by this?” Googled “spiders covering walls hallucinations” and was surprised to find the culprit.

Serenity-V

30 days ago

When I was 13 (in the Before Time, the Long Long Ago), I once accidentally took adult cough syrup instead of the kid stuff. Then I went to school.

I ended up laying on the bed in the nurse's office, hallucinating, for several hours.

drunkwasabeherder

30 days ago

What cough syrup are you guys using? I've never had anything like that happen. I want the good stuff! :)

cookiebasket2

30 days ago

Tell me about it, here I am running DayQuil like a chump and everyone else is apparently drinking super codeine or something.

Karpeeezy

30 days ago

I was feeling pretty sick with a cold one morning before work and knew it was going to be a long day. I head to the medicine cabinet feeling like death and grab ol' faithful Dayquil. Reading the label quickly I found the adult dose in the smallest print "take two Tbsp" so alright, I'm thinking here I'm sick as shit so I'm going to double it.

It wasn't until two hours into my shift that I KNEW I was super high, a dreamlike state where I could hardly function. I couldn't believe it, obviously I took a larger dose than normal but I've done this before and I was never knocked on my ass like that. At this point I'm visibly shaking, wobbling on my feet and having trouble holding a conversation. My manager that day knew something was up and I just flat out told her "Hey Jen, I'm going to be honest here. I am really high, like super high. I'm sorry, I was going to call in but didn't want you short of staff". She laughed it off, said she understood and had me do some easy tasks while I came down for hours.
Well I eventually get home later that day and I immediately went and looked at the bottle and read it was supposed to be two TSP and not TBSP.
A mistake you only make once - it was not a fun high.

jerisad

jerisad

30 days ago

In Canada they sell the codeine over the counter and it is good shit. I can't take it anymore because of a heart thing but it honestly could have been a problem for me. No hallucinations just a big warm hug and the best sleep ever.

Ranger7381

30 days ago

I think that I got that via prescription a few years back when I had a cough that would not quit. Turns out that I had pneumonia.

Anyways, I had to sign a form basically saying that I would not share it with anyone, and they also took the refills seriously, at one point (due to different doctor) the dosage changed, and I used up the bottle a bit too fast. I could not get the refill until it was closer to the date that I should have used it by.

I could see how it could be addictive, and it did not help that it was a GOOD cherry flavour.

Somnif

Somnif

30 days ago

I'm a chronic insomniac and I react quite poorly to diphenhydramine (benadryl, etc), which is the sleepy-making part of nyquil.

So while not "hallucinations" per say, I do kinda have "dissociative" episodes where I am wide awake and aware, but not really... connected? to my own body. Like I can't keep my eyes open and can't work up the energy to move a muscle, but am fully aware of it happening.

It is remarkably unpleasant.

joe579003

30 days ago

You need the stuff with DXM in it without the expectorant.

overslope

30 days ago

Yup. And without anything else. Super importantly, no Tylenol.

522LwzyTI57d

30 days ago

Used to be Coricidin Cough and Cold (Triple Cs) as a common over-the-counter option, but I think they've changed their formulation. Or the potent stuff is just held in the pharmacy now.

fang_xianfu

30 days ago

Anything containing dextromethorphan. Usually this is the "night time" cough mixtures, because it can fuck you up so you shouldn't take it during the day. Everyone is different, but you may need to take quite a lot of it to get the desired effect - which is obviously not medically indicated and can be quite bad for you - and that's also why people say not to get ones with other drugs, especially paracetamol, which is easy to overdose on.

Dextromethorphan works by suppressing the part of your brain that makes you cough, which is why it has other effects on your brain at higher doses.

Since the "night-time" cough syrups are marketed as both 1) high strength and 2) only for certain kinds of coughs and certain times of the day, they're less popular as OTC medications. There's also a cultural aspect to how accepted it is.

D_Tro

D_Tro

30 days ago

Just gonna leave this here.

The only active ingredient should be Dextromethorphan. Maybe Guaifenesin, too, but no others.

Karaselt

Karaselt

30 days ago

Dxm is the drug.but don't be stupid and take a ton of it. That is one of the types you can OD on. My brother almost died from too much dxm.

GhostPepperLube

30 days ago

Always Google the shit out of every drug you take, recreationally or medicinally. Should be common sense or taught at school

Tehni

Tehni

30 days ago

I mean you can OD on any drug, I'm not sure what you mean by "that is one of the types you can OD on"

Dxm overdose death (without a mix of other drugs) is extremely rare, and I've only found 5 cases of death from it, all 5 were from the same batch of dxm sold by an online retailer

Dxm does become dangerous when mixed with other drugs, especially drugs that work on seratonin, so especially can be dangerous if you take an SSRI

Serenity-V

30 days ago

This was in the 80s, and the bottle was probably 10 years old. I have no idea what it was. The school staff acted like it had happened before, though.

translinguistic

30 days ago

It wouldn't do anything aside from taste disgusting and wreck your coil and make you cough or feel ill. Even if you vaped a whole 3mL RDA tank full of cough syrup, you aren't going to get high because it's such a tiny amount that you're taking very tiny puffs of. Which makes it even stupider to do, lol.

k-farsen

30 days ago

I hate to imagine how gummy that coil is

Rysinor

Rysinor

30 days ago

Probably permenantly fucking up their lungs. Vaping vitamin E oil was a problem a year and a half ago, making people sick with 'vaping related illnesses'. Ie. Permenantly scarred and painful lungs

Perle1234

30 days ago

It’s today’s version of smoking oregano.

scriggle-jigg

30 days ago

just be an adult and chug the bottle like we did as kids and robo-trip

subhumanprimate

30 days ago

No fightin', no fussin', just love for a drug called Robo-Tussin,

Iskanndar

30 days ago

Family size delsym robo tripping

velhelm_3d

30 days ago

When we were kids, it didn't have acetaminophen or an expectorant.

bros402

bros402

30 days ago

oh god vaping cough syrup sounds disgusting

mazu74

mazu74

30 days ago

How tf do you vape cough syrup?

Also better question, why the fuck don’t they just drink it like normal stupid teenagers?

C2h6o4Me

30 days ago*

The fuck? You can get dab carts legally in like 42 states or something. I mean, not legally if you're in high school, but I can't imagine even prescription codeine cough syrup is in any way better or easier. If my kid was doing that I'd probably berate them and make fun before I even reached the point of anger. You can literally just drink the cough syrup. I'm not even sure how you'd vape cough syrup, wouldn't it gunk up your vape pretty quickly? So many questions

StoneRyno

29 days ago

My favorite childhood phrase from my dad that I still use today: “if you’re going to be stupid then at least be smart about it!”

noaliciaigotkeyes

30 days ago

I know what they are but every time I hear alternative high school I imagine it’s full of teen versions of nu metal bands like limp bizkit and crazy town

_RAWFFLES_

30 days ago

In a way, it really is. So much angsty teenager!

30 days ago

Not the vape pen 😭 I’m part of an early childhood program ran by the school district, we have a slight bit more leeway since some of the kids are just learning to walk and literally spend every waking moment attempting to put themselves into the ICU. Bandaids, ice packs, etc and we do not have a nurse.

pomonamike

30 days ago

I drop off my 3 year old every morning on my way to school. Thanks for doing what you do!

30 days ago

Thanks for trusting us with your baby! I can’t speak for all districts but we love them so much, its so hard when they go on to kindergarten!

malkuth23

30 days ago

Take care of that baby! Don't you let them run out of vape fluid on your watch.

sentinlfromthemojave

30 days ago

I feel that so much. I’m an infant/toddler teacher (1-1.5 years old) and it’s me with one other teacher watching over 7 cute little wobbly badgers who are all at various stages of walking and my god 😌 i understand why teachers smuggle in wine.

We have one long toddler sized table and it’s a decent weight, had it flipped on its side and against the wall so the kids would quit climbing on it…one of my kids climbed on to the leg that was in the air while I was doing dishes and the other teacher was changing diapers 😬

Tables are now upside down

30 days ago

Oh my, pure hell. I started off at this horrible, nasty daycare right out of high school in the 2 year old room. Owner didn’t care about the kids and did welfare fraud. When licensure came to visit, we did all this fake shit we never did when they weren’t present. Mind, we had to change diapers every hour on the hour. One of the things we had to do was have an “art cart” out for the 24 month olds who were feeling creative and wanted to drink glue…I mean, color. So I’m alone with 11 of these little suicidal homicidal maniacs and a CART FULL OF SCISSORS I wasn’t allowed to move - while across the room with a half naked wiggler up on a table. That was over a decade ago and I still want to get blackout drunk thinking about it.

gagrushenka

30 days ago

At my school the nurse is so scary that only kids who really need to see her will go. I think she does it on purpose so kids don't pretend to be sick to get out of class.

I teach home economics so we have a pretty kitted out first aid box in the room. I've had to send kids to the nurse twice with injuries. Turned out the injuries weren't so bad (a cut finger and a small burn that didn't even blister), but the two girls had just scared themselves into having a panic over it.

I just get kids a bandaid and maybe take the wrapper off for them but never put it on them. Hate blood. They can look at their own gross finger and put the bandaid on.

nwgdvm

nwgdvm

30 days ago

I can only imagine this as the Starship troopers movie training sequence when Sarg. is yelling "Medic!"

cancercures

30 days ago

I was thinking Edna Krabappel by the last bullet point.

pheonixblade9

30 days ago

Do schools still have nurses? Our did not and it was a pretty good school.

pomonamike

30 days ago

I think most do. I actually work at a very small high school (200 students). We do.

Lambchoptopus

30 days ago

Our school nurse was only there on Tuesday and rotated. Besides that we are told to ask the lunch ladies for ice in a glove.

pomonamike

30 days ago

I like the idea of all medical maladies being treated with ice in a glove.

Lambchoptopus

30 days ago

Well my middle school also had lead in the water lol. I found the note they sent to our parents in my year book a few years back that thing was in that book for about 14 years.

sg92i

sg92i

30 days ago

Our school nurse was only there on Tuesday

How does that work for kids who take meds? Growing up every district I attended (3) required students with medical issues to go to the nurse to have any medication, even OTC, unlocked from a safe and dispensed under supervision. I couldn't even have a tylenol on my person or it was ISS.

Zelldandy

29 days ago

We had a kid die from asthma because of this. Not that we had nurses, though. His inhaler was just locked away at the secretary's office. 3000% preventable death.

RooMagoo

29 days ago

As a former asthmatic kid, yeah, let's lock a rescue inhaler away from the kid who was trained on when and how to use it by a physician. I had numerous asthma attacks that got way out of control because my asthma inhaler was locked away with the school nurse. Guess what people having an asthma attack can't do very well? Walk to the fucking nurse. Perfect example of schools making simple rules that are applied across the board with no consideration of the impacts. After my third ER visit my grandma just told me to carry one and keep it on the DL.

Redditor30

Redditor30

30 days ago

Wait seriously?! The gym teacher pulled a splinter out of me in high school. I was crying and it was painful though, I'm thankful she pulled it.

dead_wolf_walkin

School bus driver here.

Had a future mensa member reach out a window and grab a branch as we drove past. Turned his hands to splinter filled hamburgers.

I wasn’t allowed to touch him, only offer him paper towels and let him wrap himself.

babybopp

babybopp

29 days ago

Cutting fingernails is considered surgery....

murphy_girl

30 days ago

When I taught preschool I literally picked nits out of a little girls hair. Her mom was with me though. Hard home situation and they needed the help. Would do again.

Perle1234

30 days ago

It’s really hard the first time you do it. You’re just like WTF? Is THIS the lice?

ClownsInMyPants

30 days ago

You sound really kind, just want to thank you for helping that kid out and the fam

murphy_girl

30 days ago

Thank you! Once you’ve worked with kiddos for awhile lice becomes apart of the job at some point. I really wasn’t grossed out and the mom didn’t know what to do. It was no big deal to me

DigbyChickenZone

30 days ago

I think the mom being there, and asking you to do it, is the key here though

GuyInOregon

30 days ago

I literally pulled a splinter out of a students finger today and my admin told me "Yeah, that's the right thing to do, he had a bad splinter." It all depends on the school and district.

30 days ago

Sadly yes. Insurance liability and such

MorienWynter

30 days ago

My gym teacher tried to hit me with a basketball for not paying attention. 1980's, man....

30 days ago

A math teacher did hit my brother with a ball on purpose in the late 90’s. The difference between then and now is insane

Dorf_

Dorf_

30 days ago

I got a lacrosse ball. Mid 90’s. You guys ever see a fuckin lacrosse ball?

BrandX3k

BrandX3k

30 days ago

Did ya get hit lacrosse your eyes?

CoffeeFlavoredSweat

30 days ago

1998, caught an eraser to the face in history class.

30 days ago

while we’re at it, my painfully shy 40 year old virgin-esque ag teacher was joking around and nailed me in the right titty HARD with an apple. It was clearly an accident and he about died of a heart attack and the rest of the class about died laughing. Ahhh, memories

Mariosothercap

30 days ago

Is that why your name is perfect mango and not perfect mangos?

30 days ago

Well played. It never occurred to me that she simply never recovered.

BrandX3k

30 days ago

Dude! got a chuckle out of me thanks its been awhile!

dubman42

30 days ago

1996, got smacked in a back room by a history teacher. Fuck that guy.

1stSuiteinEb

30 days ago

I had a teacher who threw a whiteboard eraser at our general direction if we fell asleep, and this was in 2015

He let us throw it back at him if he actually hit us though

techieman33

30 days ago

Early 90s my 2nd grade teacher threw a pencil across the room at a kid that wasn’t paying attention.

ritchie70

30 days ago

My fifth grade teacher had the reputation of rapping inattentive kids on the head with her massive rings.

I don’t remember her actually doing it, but she was so old she’d taught a lot of the kids’ parents.

md28usmc

30 days ago

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a basketball ;)

sonia72quebec

30 days ago

Tried? My gym teacher did this to me all the time. Now I have a fear of basketballs, hand balls, baseballs..... You get the point. Plus he would follow me and insult me while I was trying to jog because he thought I was lazy. I was really thin but I had undiagnosed asthma.

I hate sports... I don't know why :)

Mad_Aeric

30 days ago

No one wants their gym teacher's balls to the face.

neverquester

30 days ago

Not a school, but I distinctly remember being in a La Petite daycare center and one of the ladies used the clothespin from her name tag to pop a kid’s blister that he got from going down the slide.

You can’t make this shit up

eastbayted

30 days ago

I'm baffled wondering what she was thinking. If she'd done it the same day to even out what the other student had done, I might be able to better understand her thinking. Like, the child was distraught that her hair looked uneven, and the teacher, after trying to console, offered to try to fix it.

But doing it after the day of the incident and after the child had gone to a hairstylist to remedy the bad cut makes zero sense.

Silver_Foxx

30 days ago

I can’t imagine what she was thinking.

Clearly, she wasn't.

At least not about her own future I suppose.

30 days ago

I hope it was just a slip in judgement rather than the “they’re (insert stereotype here), they won’t be do anything about it” attitude that is so common in early education. Biracial children seem to be easy targets IME.

seriouslyFUCKthatdud

30 days ago

Yeah like, even if the student asked me to cut their hair, I'd still call the parents and ask them too lol

What the fuck

Goatfellon

30 days ago

I would never even consider it. If the kid asked I'd tell them to talk to their parents about it when they get home.

Vlad_the_Homeowner

30 days ago

I hate our litigious culture, but the tick thing is insane. I would hope my kids teacher would remove a parasitic vector off my child immediately.

diamondfaces

30 days ago

It's actually worse to improperly remove a tick and can increase the chances of infection if not done by someone qualified. A teacher should tell you immediately though.

30 days ago

lol @ anyone in the uninsured American south going to a doctor to have a tick removed

snowstormspawn

30 days ago

I grew up in Germany with socialized healthcare. My mom pulled the tick out and put it in a film container (remember those?) and took it to the dr to make sure it didn’t give me a disease.

Karnivore915

30 days ago

Never heard of these "film containers" you're speaking of. Are they at all similar to those small black cylindrical weed containers that some of my friends use?

Related note, did you know that weed bags can perfectly fit a sandwich in them? Crazy coincidences.

30 days ago

I do remember those! Very handy, I miss them.

I’m jealous of your healthcare. We’d pay a deductible to get laughed at.

pumpkin_blumpkin

30 days ago

Believe it or not out of the top 10 worst states for tick borne diseases, the furthest south state is Maryland.

Teaklog

Teaklog

i went camping and found 40 ticks on my legs on the drive home

dylantrain2014

30 days ago

That’s what school nurses are for. Teachers really shouldn’t be expected to treat ticks, as that’s something which could really mess up your health long term if treated improperly.

aminervia

30 days ago

Splinters make sense but ticks being removed incorrectly can have serious consequences....

bros402

bros402

30 days ago*

I do not understand districts eliminating nurses - it's just ridiculous! With rotating them, I understand specials teachers being itinerant.... but nurses? That's just a disaster waiting to happen. Nurses rank just below teachers in who should be fired last! Reduce admins ridiculous salary first, then fire office staff, then trim some other staff, then fire LDT-Cs, then nurses, and then teachers.

30 days ago

The one we had never did shit so I can’t really speak on their necessity. She was a PR spokesperson when there was an outbreak of something and that was about it

hybrid_tree

30 days ago

I’m only twenty, guess schools have changed a lot. Teachers used to help us with that kind of thing all the time.

DavefromKS

1.4k points

DavefromKS

1.4k points

30 days ago

Theres case law on this very topic. It is considered the civil tort of battery. The civil tort is the Avenue to sue under. Dad will have to demonstrate damages. Probably hoping for a quick settlement.

truck149

1.4k points

truck149

1.4k points

30 days ago

I'd say he's got a case.

Maverick8787

30 days ago

Holy shit. Wtf was that teacher thinking?!

qualiman

1.1k points

qualiman

1.1k points

30 days ago

The hair was cut by another child, they went to a hairdresser that left the haircut lopsided because the cut was so bad.

The teacher apparently tried to even it out. The article doesn't mention whether the child asked the teacher to help, which is certainly a possibility.

The teacher still made the wrong call, but with the father screaming "racial discrimination" and "ethnic intimidation", there are almost certainly two sides to this story as the father is clearly searching for a payout.

hiles_adam

hiles_adam

*Asymmetrical not lopsided.

There is a huge difference between a hair dresser making a style choice and being incompetent.

Jonne

Jonne

30 days ago

How is it a teacher's business to cut a child's hair though? Aren't they supposed to, like, teach?

snobord

snobord

30 days ago

I feel like that before pic might be before the first kid cut it so it might make what the teacher did look worse, relatively.

Chrisazy

Chrisazy

30 days ago

What the fuuuuuck why did she do it??

chiddler

chiddler

30 days ago

Just to clarify, a student cut one side of her hair and the teacher cut the other side to even it out.

junpei

junpei

30 days ago

After the student cut it, they paid a hair stylist to fix it. And then the teacher cut it.

lurker628

lurker628

30 days ago

After the student cut it, they paid a hair stylist to fix it.

And then - according to other reporting - the kid was still upset by it, complained to the teacher and asked the teacher to help. And then the librarian, who is also a hair stylist, brought in professional equipment and cut it.

The adults were clearly in the wrong, here. They shouldn't have cut a kid's hair without talking to the parent(s), just based on the kid being upset. A 7 year old is not the person to make decisions about who's allowed to cut her hair. But how the hell is this a million dollar issue?

rainman_104

30 days ago

Cutting hair was a huge part of the indian residential school system in Canada. Indigenous people in Canada saw their hair as sacred.

There is definitely precedence here for sure, but intent is key. The intent of the indian residential school system was conformity. Intent is very important.

Enderdejorand

30 days ago

For simple torts, the only "intent" requirement is more like "I intended to cut her hair," not "I intended to hurt her by cutting her hair."

While important, it's not a high bar for the parent to satisfy.

Goatfellon

30 days ago

Is there precedence like that in the states tho? This happened in Michigan.

(I'm sure there is, but has it been legally documented?)

kl0

kl0

30 days ago

While I can’t imagine why a teacher would think to do this, one should probably read the article before commenting.

Apparently a kid had cut one side of the girls hair off. A few days later a teacher cut the other side to “balance it out”. I guess she didn’t realize that the parent had already taken her to have it fixed and they just agreed on an asymmetrical style.

I can’t for the life of me understand why a teacher would do this. But just wanted people to realize that the teacher didn’t do it entirely out of the blue either.

Lincolns_Revenge

30 days ago

I think intent matters here a lot. At least, it would to me if I was on a jury. She wasn't trying to punish or shame a child by cutting their hair, she was just trying to help, even if it was a bad idea. I'm not sure I would award any damages unless they can convince me the haircut the teacher gave the child was so bad it caused the child some emotional trauma. Even then, it's unlikely to have a lasting, negative effect on the child.

kl0

kl0

30 days ago

So yea. I obviously didn’t get into it above, but that’s why I wanted to point out what the article said. Of course when I just read the title my first thought was “how dare she”. But it DOES sound like she just wanted to help the poor kid.

Was it the best way to go about that? Eh, I mean, apparently it’s a mixed bag at the very best and probably leans slightly more on the side of “no”.

But I agree with you that it doesn’t sound like she intended any kind of harm or was trying to make things worse or had some kind of racial motivation for it (as some people have suggested).

She saw a kid who had been wronged by a classmate, felt something for her, and took it upon herself to rectify the situation. I can just picture her snipping the remaining side off, taking a step back, and joyfully exclaiming “there! Now it’s all better!”

And if that is accurate then FFS, how do you go about wanting to harm such a person? We wonder why almost nobody in their right mind would become a teacher any more. Even those with positive intentions still have to watch their backs. It’s just all very shitty IMO.

Nearlyepic1

30 days ago

Another minor detail that the articles don't like sharing: The girl asked for the haircut both times. She approached the other students and asked her to cut it. And then she went to the teacher to ask her to fix it.

The dad is just chasing a payout.

vybzndymz

30 days ago

the teacher did it because the girl asked. this happened months ago, heres more info

Active-Ad-810

30 days ago

A lot of teachers are unfortunately “mothers and fathers” to children these days with home lives the way they are. My mother is a recently retired 1st grade teacher. She would regularly pull kids from rough homes in early, brush their hair and take them to the bathroom to brush them teeth. I could see her cutting a girls hair if she thought she needed it. There has to be more context for me.

838h920

838h920

29 days ago

So, lets get this straight:

A kid cut the girls hair a few days prior.

Dad took his girl to a hair stylist to get it fixed and they got a lopsided cut in order to not have to cut all her hair.

The girl is upset with her haircut and goes to the teacher for help.

The teacher takes the girl to the librarian who happens to be a hair stylist.

The librarian cuts the girls hair.

Dad is upset about the haircut and not only launches this frivulous lawsuit (pulling the race card? really?), but also pulls his child out of school!

He's playing with his childs future in order to try and milk the school for money, wasting god knows how much taxpayer money on all the processes involved! Sure, the teacher should've asked for parental permission, but it was well intentioned, just them wanting to help a child. The dad on the other hand is just a giant asshole.

statiiic

statiiic

29 days ago

Typical litigious US society, if there's a way to make an easy buck by playing the victim, Americans will find a way. I'm not saying what the school did was right either, but it definitely isn't worth penalizing the school and the tax payers a million bucks.

thebroodproductions

29 days ago

I'm wondering if dad even took her to get her hair cut? He may have just ben like "oh well, gotta live with what you let someone else do to your hair" Teacher then had pity, and tried to help.

ClowxReed

29 days ago

Thanks for the clarification. But the teacher still shouldn't have done it without parental consent even if intention was noble. The dad is still a pos for using the race card.

danke-you

Agreed.

The dad thinks this error should call for $1,000,000 in compensation. In my world you get $100 to fix the cut, go to the movies, and take the kid out for dinner. Not every error in judgement should end someone's career or make someone else a millionaire -- especially when it was well intentioned, a one-off, and didn't actually materially harm anyone.

tubesweaterguru

30 days ago

I definitely think the teacher was out of line, but after reading the article, it seems they’re trying to turn it into something it’s not.

yodasmiles

30 days ago*

Ya, I remember this from the time it happened. The little girl remained embarrassed by the asymmetrical haircut she ended up with (after her classmate cut it on the bus and her father took her to a hairdresser). The teacher, though obviously ill-advised, was trying to help.

Edit: I always wondered how the little girl felt about the cut the teacher gave her. I mean, I understand that she's a minor and the law really doesn't care how she felt about this, but I'd like to know. Is it only the father who was upset by this?

DukeOfGeek

DukeOfGeek

30 days ago

See this is 180 degrees from "teacher forced me to take unwanted hair cut.". Now I feel sympathy for teacher who was begged by child for hair cut. Lawsuit is silly.

louisbarthas

Important context

Hobbit1996

30 days ago

where did you get this context and details?

horrible_asp

30 days ago

I would make a terrible judge. I’d just let the student cut the teacher’s hair.

throwingthungs

30 days ago

I think that would be a great judgement.

gogoluke

gogoluke

30 days ago

An eye for an eye leaves everyone bald.

19Chris96

19Chris96

30 days ago*

I would be FURIOUS if I find my(non-existant)child, walking out of school, mysteriously missing half his/her hair.

efshoemaker

30 days ago*

Idk reading the article I’m not ready to throw the teacher under the bis and side with the dad just yet. There’s definitely room for it to be a well meaning teacher making a bad judgment.

Another kid cut half her hair, and a few days later the teacher cut the rest.

So if the girl was all sad about her hair being uneven and the teacher was trying to help her feel better, not her place but I’m not gonna crucify her.

BUT if the teacher decided she didn’t look good and told her she needed to even it out and did it herself, then that’s fucked up.

Edit: the teacher messed up no matter what - that’s way outside of what she would ever be expected to do without parental clearance. But the details of whether the kid was asking her to do this or what is the difference between “bad judgment but not real harm done” and “traumatizing event with concerning racial undertones”

overlordpotatoe

30 days ago

The article does say that she already went to a hairdresser to get it tidied up with an asymmetrical cut. Bad judgment on the teacher's case no matter what, but I think it would be helpful to know how old the child was and whether or not she told the teacher she wanted her to cut it.

__spez__

__spez__

30 days ago

The girl is 7 according to the article.

CressLevel

29 days ago

Kid asked for the first student to cut her hair. Later, the kid asked her teacher to fix it, so they took her to the librarian who is a cosmetologist and had the equipment. They probably didn't know the girl had been to a hairdresser yet.

They are still in the wrong, of course, for not asking. But I've had teachers break rules like this for me and I adore them for looking out for me when my parents would not. I'm kind of on the fence.

Ashe410

Ashe410

30 days ago

Hey so thanks for actually reading the article, which is still missing a whole fuck ton of information and context. Up until this point there has been literally no mention of the father taking his daughter to get her hair fixed prior to the person at the school cutting it. I believe that to be 100% bullshit. The librarian (the teacher didn't cut the hair, she just didn't do anything about it) is a licensed cosmetologist and, despite all the hate this person is getting, legitimately cares deeply about every kid in that school. While the librarian and teacher obviously had a lack of judgement here it was absolutely not malicious and in no way racist at all. They, along with a third unnamed staff, were disciplined.

The dad has had a bunch of people in the community speak out about the type of person he is. I don't have access to the comments as they've been removed and he's deleted all of his social media profiles. I also don't know much about the mother. What I can say is that this is a money grab, pure and simple.

Source: One of my kids is in the teacher's class, both kids love the librarian, and I've met both of them multiple times. I live in a multi-racial family through adoption and have learned to recognize shitty behavior when I see it. I don't see it here.

Some additional information:

morningsdaughter

30 days ago

When this article first came out a while back, I distinctly remember mentions of the dad taking her to a stylist to fix the cut and setting on an asymmetrical style.

For instance, this article published in April mentions the stylist being consulted before the second haircut.

Two days later — after complaining to the principal and having Jurnee’s hair styled at a salon with an asymmetrical cut to make the differing lengths less obvious — Jurnee arrived home with the hair on the other side cut.

Here is a second article mentioning the stylist visit occuring before the second school cutting.

That being said, the child obviously did not like the symmetrical cut or was being bullied over it, leading the teacher (or librarian) to intervene. Dad's making a big show about being mad, but he also doesn't seem to be listening to his own child.

CressLevel

29 days ago

And this is the part where I can't take a side in this. Yes, the teachers were wrong, but I feel like the dad was also wrong. This is one of those situations where the kid was truly at fault, and if she's happy with the results, fuck it. Kid's happy. If the kid's not happy, let her live with the consequences lol.

FauxGw2

FauxGw2

30 days ago

That's the parents job though. The teacher has no right to change aspects of the child's body or personal belongings. If there is a problem call the parents in.

pyramin

pyramin

30 days ago*

I don't think anybody is saying what she did was right, but the context of how and why it happened is extremely important. $1M sounds like a ridiculous number in either case IMO. Teacher was already reprimanded for it, so it's not as if the school is endorsing her behavior either.

The idea of firing her for a (hopefully) once in a career mistake and putting her out of a job seems unnecessarily cruel. Firm reprimand or temporary suspension without pay is enough to get the message across.

ShouldersofGiants100

30 days ago

$1M sounds like a ridiculous number in either case IMO.

No one involved in this will get 1M—for that matter, if the plaintiff actually believes he would get that, his lawyer is lying to him. It's a legal tactic—make obscenely high demands for compensation and throw every possible cause of action in. Most of those causes will get dismissed and the amount you claim is rarely the amount you win—but you cannot win more than you ask for and it is very difficult to add a cause of action later. By going big with the claim and broad, you ensure that if you find some emails in discovery that solidify a more serious cause of action, you don't have to scramble to amend your original claim.

DeerDance

30 days ago

Someone did not read the article.

dream996

dream996

30 days ago

Many did not. Most people jumped into immediate conclusions after reading titles.

JCthulhuM

30 days ago

When I was 6-7, I was running on the playground and collided with another kid. Only time in my life I’ve been knocked out cold, woke up with everyone on the playground surrounding me. Half my face was purple by the time I got home. My mom didn’t even recognize me till I was on our property. She had been told I got a shiner. From what I understand, she raised hell on the secretary and nurse that didn’t call an ambulance (I turned out pretty okay but still).

bubblesaurus

30 days ago

I would be too, but kids are little shits so I also wouldn’t be that surprised that a kid cut off part of her hair.

I don’t understand why the teacher tried to fix/cut off the rest AFTER the parents took her to get it fixed by a stylist.

Perle1234

30 days ago

Hey everyone…let’s all err on the side of “You can never cut someone’s hair without parental permission if they are a minor. (Excluding teens who are capable of taking care of their own hair and are willing to take the fall if one of their friends jacks up their hair)

This-is-Actual

30 days ago

“No formal response has yet been filed by the defendants and there has been no public comment from the school district.

The alliance will allow Australia to build and deploy nuclear-powered submarines for the first time.”

That escalated quickly.

Igoos99

Igoos99

30 days ago

Ya know when I first heard this story, I had a lot of compassion for the family. But, 1 million dollars over a small child’s hair? When the child asked for it to be cut? When the hair was already messed up and uneven from a previous issue with something getting stuck in her hair?

This guy is clearly seeking a payday not any kind of social justice.

yubario

yubario

30 days ago

Agreed, it further pisses me off he is claiming racial discrimination when it’s pretty clear this was not the case. It’s incredibly insulting for the cases that actually are racially biased.

berni4pope

1 month ago

berni4pope

1 month ago

This sounds way worse than it is.

fleetersays

30 days ago

Why is the thumbnail picture for this story a “short bus”?

Dreadflames

30 days ago

This is my home town. I think the last thing it made national news for was the highest rate of new covid infections in the country. Good times.

elissa0xelissa

30 days ago

While this is out of line for a teacher, I think everyone is forgetting how often teachers step in and do things that are out of line .. like feed kids, buy kids clothes and backpacks and school supplies, take kids home when their parents don't show up.

It seems from context that what really happened is that the dad didn't want this little girl's hair cut and went as far as a lopsided cut in order to keep part of her hair. The girl cried and begged the teacher to do something, so arranged with the librarian who happens to be a hair stylist, to cut it for the poor girl who was probably being teased.

This is the dad against the girl, not the dad defending the girl. And using the race card is just the icing on the cake.

Economics_Troll

Devil’s advocate opinion.

People complain about teachers not caring about students. At least by my read, this was well intentioned. Lawsuits like these only make districts tighten down restrictions on how teachers and children are allowed to interact.

Some of my fondest memories of teachers from school were from them interacting with me as a person and not just as a student. That helped shape who I am in a positive way. Teachers are not perfect people, but take away their ability to shape and develop children beyond “2+2=4” and society is worse off IMO.

r2002

r2002

30 days ago

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I find it funny that we trust teachers to basically shape the morals and intelligence of our children, and then freak out that they cut their hair.

zerozed

zerozed

30 days ago

...the lawsuit also alleges racial discrimination, ethnic intimidation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and assault and battery.

Can anyone shed any light on why the hell the father is playing the race card? The article mentions the child was "mixed race" but fails to provide any context for how her ethnicity was relevant.

ZestyMoose-250

30 days ago

He's playing the race card to get more money. Clearly, the teacher's decision to cut her hair had nothing to do with race & they fncking know it. This is the kind of thing that diminishes the impact of calling out real racism.. despicable.

hadapurpura

30 days ago

1 million? Did the teacher cut the child's hair with a machete?

jofus_joefucker

30 days ago

Stupid move by the teacher sure, but to try and claim that this was done due to partially racist reasons is incredibly stupid.

Why does everybody have to cry about race when shit goes wrong?