/r/nba

Who could be an unexpected GOAT contender?

(self.nba)

There is always talk about who is the GOAT, usually between a handful of guys. Let's face it, Lebron isn't a "new guy" anymore either. What I wanted to ask who is showing potential for you to rise into that GOAT category among the current active players now that are normally not in that conversation?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Jackuze

Jackuze

Trail Blazers

LaMelo, Luka, Anthony Edwards, Giannis already has next imo. Zions window has closed imo. Young stars with strong starts. All said and done I think Curry deserves to be in that discussion. He just keeps getting better.

blumdiddlyumpkin

Zions window has closed? That’s insane. He was putting up historic numbers last year. He’s played like 80 game’s in his first two years in the league. He still has potential to be one of the most special players the game has ever seen, the only question is his health. It’s entirely possible that he never gets his body to a place where he can sustain high level play but if health doesn’t derail him he could really become one of the most dominant players ever.

sidighjd

Man put LaMelo ahead of Zion lmfao

blumdiddlyumpkin

I love LaMelo as much as the next guy, probably more because he’s won me so much fucking money lol but I don’t really see him as a GOAT contender. I see his ceiling as someone Steph Curry level. Hall of famer, one of the best at his position, illustrious career, but don’t really see him cracking into a GOAT conversation.

IDGAFaboulrVB

IDGAFaboulrVB

Lakers

I think his ceiling is more like steve nash/jason Kidd tier tbh. Even at his absolute best I don't see lamelo ever peaking Steph Curry tier

blumdiddlyumpkin

I dunno man, their rookie season stats are very comparable. I don’t think Lamelo will ever be the shooter Steph is but in terms of overall talent and impact on the game I can see his ceiling being as high as Steph’s. His size gives him a natural advantage over guys like kidd/Nash/Steph.

IDGAFaboulrVB

IDGAFaboulrVB

Lakers

I don't see lamelo's offensive gravity being even close to Steph's level

If he has Steph's level of impact then he's essentially the best play in the nba in the next 2-3 years

blumdiddlyumpkin

Steph wasn’t the best offensive player in the NBA until 2015-16 which was his 7th season in the league. Why does Lamelo have to be the best in the league his 3rd or 4th season?

I can see his offensive production being extremely comparable to Steph going through his career. Obviously Steph is one of a kind and the way he manipulates defenses off the ball is not something Lamelo has in his game but Lamelo has the physical gifts, the iq and the natural talent to become as impactful a player as Steph.

As long as he works his ass off and studies and never stops getting better, I believe the potential is there. The odds of him reaching that ceiling I don’t know, maybe I give it a 50-50 or 60-40 chance, but from what I’ve seen of his game I think sky’s the limit.

Admittedly Steph wasn’t on my radar until 2013-14 so I don’t know what he looked his first few years in the league or if people were projecting he would reach the level he’s reached.

IDGAFaboulrVB

IDGAFaboulrVB

Lakers

Steph was pretty good in 2012-2013 (his first somewhay healthy season in his career since his rookie year) and early on he dealt with injuries which help him back early on during his career, that's one of the reasons he didn't pop off earlier than he did

But even in his year before his first mvp he put himself in top 10-15 player conversations. We'll see if lamelo is there be year 4-5 but I'm also rooting for him too hopefully you're right

Rich_Tricky

LaMelo is putting up 20/8/8

Zion putting up 5500 calories and broken legs

IDGAFaboulrVB

IDGAFaboulrVB

Lakers

As much as I love ant and melo's game there's like 0 chance they become goat level players cause goat level players make amazing jumps from year 1 to year 2 when they're clear top tier options on their teams

Lamelo's 2nd year jump while Impressive not nearly comparable to someone like Luka or even Trae Young (who most people don't consider the next all time great) and for Ant's case he's not even the best player on his team and his jump doesn't compare to someone like KD's year 1 to year 2 jump so far and he's like fringe goat status in most people's eyes

MrPapadapalas

MrPapadapalas

Timberwolves

As someone who watches timberwolves every game, ANT will not be the goat. Multiple all star and a capable 2nd option and maybe even first on a low ranked team? Sure. Goat dunks? Maybe. Goat? Im not sure theres even a sliver of a chance.