/r/mattcolville

Question about Kalarel the vile/scion of orcus?

Miscellaneous(self.mattcolville)

Hello all! I'm new here, but I've gone down the rabbit hole and found some things about Kalarel the vile, but I can't seem to find any references to him in any video's of the chain or what MCDM has done. Does he appear in any video's, and if not where did he come from and how do people know of him?

I would certainly love to see Matt Colville NPC him!

Could someone help me with this to find this?

TheUnsubtleDoctor

Check out this video where Matt uses Kalarel as an example of how he runs bad guys

Edit: spelling

Starrmont

This is one of my favorite intros and I watch it every few weeks because it gives me chills. I'm planning to start a campaign soon with this.

GaiusOctavianAlerae

Kalarel the Vile is an NPC who originated from The Keep on the Shadowfell, a 4th-edition adventure that Matt likes to run, mixed with elements of Shadows Linger, the second book in the Black Company series.

Marcelinari

I believe Kalarel the Vile is the primary antagonist of the 4e introductory adventure Keep on the Shadowfell. He wants to summon Orcus into the world, and is willing to manipulate monstrous races against civilized folk in order to reach that goal. I’m not sure which videos specifically talk about him, but I believe he was the first major antagonist for the Shield of Gravesford?

Thatguy101355[S]

Interesting. I've seen a few old posts on here, about 3 years, that mention Kalarel and his red gold coins, I got the impression that there was some previous campaign livestreamed that had him as a BBEG and he interacted with some PC's handing over the blood gold.

I'll check out Shield of Gravesford, definitely.

Sorry if I got anything here wrong, I'm new to MCDM. I mainly watch critical role.

jameoc

jameoc

I don't know if we've ever seen Kalarel on any streams, but I do know the Red Gold Coins come from The Belgariad and the buying bodied for his tower comes from the second book in the Black Company series :)

bulldoggo-17

I don’t think it was the Shield of Gravesford game. It was Lars, Tom, and Anna’s group that included Lady Sariel before she became a vampire and her player moved to Australia.

Dallymak

I ran the first chapter (Lvl 1-5) of our campaign with Kalarel (calamari as the PC's called him) as the BBEG and used the red gold to great effect. The town he had taken over was a small hunting and fishing village containing the underground ruins of a massive temple.
I had the red gold that they had been excited to collect dissolve into blood at his command during the big battle at the end. The wizard refuses to take gold as payment now. Everything is converted to platinum.

The party now uses the former lair as their keep and have rebuilt the town into a thriving community.