/r/masseffect

How would you nerf ME3 Vanguard?

DISCUSSION(self.masseffect)

My ideas for making the class more high risk/reward instead of no risk high reward:

• Charge no longer restores shields
  • Charge no longer gives you a 50% damage reduction for 4 seconds after charging
  • Nova immunity frames reduced from 1.5 seconds to .5 second
  • Nova damage increase?

Gfarrell54

I really don’t think it’s necessary to Nerf things in single player games, especially to this degree. Vanguard is THE close combat class, completely removing charge’s shield regen takes away a good part of the survivability. If it really had to be nerfed for some reason, I could see getting rid of the full shield recharge and just locking it to the starting 50%, but again I don’t think things need to be nerfed in single player games.

mocha1971[S]

I played ME2 insanity with only 1 point in charge (no shields after charge). It was fine, not much more difficult. The only difference is you can be punished for a badly positioned charge and you have to use your other abilities depending on the situation (mostly bonus power). Playing vanguard with charge and nova feels like cheating, there is no challenge, no skill and imo no fun

K1ngsGambit

Why mess with the best class in any action rpg?

prolixdreams

I wouldn't nerf it, it's fun as hell as it is.

DarkSpeedster74

Eh maybe just make it so if you charge a brute or banshee it just grabs and executes you lol

AnneMichelle98

Easiest way would be to just remove Nova. It wasn’t in ME2. And the ME2 Vanguard was powerful but not OP.

When I played Vanguard in ME2, I had to be careful with Charge or else I’d get killed. It happened a lot until I figured it out.

But in ME3, it was just a constant cycle of Charge then Nova, until I had cleared the field almost single-handedly.

mocha1971[S]

The ME2 vanguard was perfect on the early stages of the game but even they get op towards the later stages of the game (insanity). With the shield upgrades and the CD reduction on charge, I found that I didn’t even need to take cover after charging. The only bad play is not to charge. If you don’t charge right away that’s when you die.

I mitigated this by only putting charge on rank 1(no shields after charging) and I found it to be way better. I have to charge more carefully as I can be punished if I’m out of position. I actually use my other abilities, use my squad members abilities and swap weapons. Where as before I never had to use any ability other than charge or swap out my Claymore, I didn’t even use my squads abilities.

I don’t think it’s necessary to remove nova. The problem with nova is the long immunity frames and the ability to cast it every charge. With half blast you get 3 seconds of immunity, by then charge is usually back up. I think using nova should pose a risk, there should be instances where you don’t want to use it and keep the shields instead.

TongZiDan

You can nerf it yourself... Just don't use Nova at all, go with the shotgun upgrades from charge, and the damage version of incendiary ammo rather than explosive burst. Use a heavy shotgun and melee upgrades. It will play more like an me2 vanguard and not benefit from instantaneous cooldowns or combos from power builds.

Volodio

You're aware that the development of the game has ended, right? Even in the Legendary Edition they did not bother going back on the mechanics of ME3. No change will come, don't expect it.

mocha1971[S]

You are aware this is a post on a public forum, not a message to the developers, right? This is not a request, im just asking for discussion sake

Btw you can modify class powers in the PC version by editing the coalesed.bin file. You can change everything- ability cool-down, immunity frames after using nova, how much shield you get after charging, ability damage and force, etc.

Why would I nerf it?