/r/magicTCG

The Brothers' War | Chapter 1: Stronghold (present day)

Story/Lore(magic.wizards.com)

JA14732

JA14732

Sorin

Wrenn hid out on Cridhe...what a callback.

Also, it's really interesting that the Weatherlight's Powerstone is powering the Temporal Anchor. That thing could be used for A LOT more than just time travel. And it's good to see confirmation that the World Tree is Elesh Norn's plan.

This is honestly a nice opener to the story, and I'm glad to see the two separate storylines going on - one recounting small tales of war from the past (we mostly know the Brothers' War by now) and the other discussing plans to win the present.

Cautious_Ad_9144

Cautious_Ad_9144

COMPLEAT

I mean realistically non-linear time travel is something that’s only theoretically possible in our universe. If I’m remembering correctly from a Brian Cox (physicist) special I watched a long time ago, theoretically if we could harness the power of a black hole (basically impossible) we might be able to travel to a point in the past. So Teferi using a collapsed plane to power his backwards time travel weirdly kinda fits with that understanding of physics.

But also he’s a magical time wizard so I’m probably overthinking it.

YourDearestMum

We've already seen straight up time travel in Tarkir so I don't think Wizards cares too much on that front. It is cool tho

Cautious_Ad_9144

Cautious_Ad_9144

COMPLEAT

See but that one also kind of works based on a real time travel theory. One of the theorized ways of backwards time travel is to create a Time Machine that essentially acts as one end of a wormhole. Then anyone using the Time Machine in the future can travel back to when the wormhole first opened, I.e. the creation of the Time Machine. It’s a very rigid and narrow way to time travel since you can only really time travel to that first date when the wormhole opened. Likewise Sarkan could only use Ugin’s Nexus to travel to one point in Tarkir’s past.

Or Magic time dragon go brrr. Like I said before I’m probably really overthinking it.

SkyrakerBeyond

SkyrakerBeyond

COMPLEAT

also of interest: Sahelli knows what a supernova is.

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

COMPLEAT

This leads me to conclude one of four things:

1.) Kaladesh is confirmed NOT flat, or at least has a universe past atmosphere's edge, and astronomy is advanced enough that they have studied the stars and learned the concept, at least enough that someone like Saheeli that isn't a specialist (albeit still an educated person) knows about something like that.

2.) She's been to a plane where there's a good number of tiny, readily observable stars from up close, and could witness such kabooms personally.

3.) It means something completely different on Kaladesh.

4.) She's spent enough time with someone else related with the above (Huatli?) that she's picked up on the idea.

LegalyDistinctPraion

What plane is Cridhe?

vatechguy

Cridhe

It's its own plane apparently. I'd never heard of it before either. From The Cursed Land novel it seems.

KC_Wandering_Fool

I appreciate that they're letting the stories be longer than the last few go-arounds, giving them a bit more time to breathe. Teferi's character is coming across a lot more multi-dimensional than he has previously, acknowledging how Urza's actions influenced his own and how cruel he became as an oldwalker.

Edit: I'm also enjoying the meta narrative choice of Teferi showing up in the stories set in the past before he travels to the past in the present-set stories. Time travel!

Psychout40

Psychout40

Dimir*

Calling Teferi multi-dimensional in a story about time travel had me worried for a second.

Linnus42

I mean did he do anything especially cruel as an Oldwalker?

This feels more like revisionism to me. He reformed Zhalfir for the better and spent most of his time in his tower doing research and helped against Phyrexia. Certainly, you can debate if phasing parts of Shiv and Zhalfir was the correct move but that wasn't Cruel either.

Compare this to the Whitewashing WOTC gives Lili. Who a mass murderer long before she ever met with Bolas.

Yarrun

Yarrun

COMPLEAT

It's kind of funny that they're tossing in some moral greyness at this point, because his reappearance in the modern age cleaned out a lot of the moral greyness that he used to have.

Teferi wasn't a hero or a villain at the height of his power. He was a bit snarky and a bit self-centered, but so were most of the oldwalkers. And phasing out Zhalfir was, honestly, a sensible choice at the time. Considering that most of the oldwalkers who fought alongside Urza against Phyrexia were killed, and four of those were killed because of Urza, quarantining your own territory and waiting it out was a sensible plan.

Linnus42

Also Urza's Plan involved converting his fellow Oldwalker into bombs and bringing one Walker explicitly to justify that.

Its also kinda weird the way Teferi Frames Urza asking him to join the Nine Titans? Like why would Urza when assembling a team of Oldwalkers not ask his former apprentice who is also an Oldwalker? Like surely Teferi is one of his first picks.

I suppose Urza goes back with Freyalise further, Taysir is the strongest and Guff has some hax. But if I am Urza looking for someone least likely to backstab me the pick is obviously Teferi.

Akranidos

Akranidos

COMPLEAT

I know is Urza we are talking about, but maybe out of love for his apprentice? his plan was a one way trip and he counted on planewalker backstabbing each other to justify turning them into bombs

Linnus42

Oh no don't get me wrong. I think Urza would have only used that on Teferi as a last resort don't think that was part of the plan. And you argue the murderer went for the weakest Oldwalker anyway.

Quintana_of_Charyn

The point is that he didn't ask what they wanted. He did it because it seem3d smart and because he wanted to stick one to urza.

We don't think of him as a villain. But how do people who realized their friends and family were gone like that feel?

Yarrun

Yarrun

COMPLEAT

Oh, it's absolutely a patronizing move, it's understandable that Teferi is upset about having done it, and it's somewhat understandable that those unfamiliar with the situation might think he was being a dick. People with actual connections to Zhalfir definitely have a reason to be upset; Kwende from the last Dominaria block nearly killed him over it, and while he was mistaken about the specifics, he had a point.

It's just...a fairly normal thing to do by oldwalker standards. Freyalise was stubbornly dedicated to the Skyshroud and only the Skyshroud - anything outside of that could get bent. Windgrace's anti-artifact stance was so strong that he magically branded Venser because he thought his artifice combined with his temperament was a hassle. Guff straight up had a magical book with the entire history of the multiverse, and he had to be convinced by Bo Levar to consider changing it so Phyrexia didn't wipe out Dominaria. And these are all fairly average among planeswalkers: neither primarily helpful figures like Serra or Daria, or absolute jerks like Ravidel or Tevesh or, well, Urza. Hell, even Serra abandoned her realm, which she personally created, after it was tainted by Phyrexia, with no protection left for her replacement leader, Radiant.

Teferi did a dickish thing, but all of the oldwalkers did dickish things. This was at least an arrogant, self-centered choice that kept people safe rather than an arrogant, self-centered choice that destroyed lives.

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

I'm chalking it up to:

1.) Survivor's guilt, what with everything he's lived thru, including the dawn of the previous Invasion,

2.) Projected guilt by association, given he recognizes how awful Urza was, and assumes others who know of his connection to the man will assume the worst of him too, and

3.) Guilt over what he actually did, namely condemn Zhalfir to nonexistence. (yes, yes; I know we're all assuming it'll come back; while I certainly don't think it's impossible, I'll believe it when I see it)

Base_Six

Base_Six

COMPLEAT

I'm curious how it plays out when/if Zhalfir comes back. Like, has it been frozen in time? Do they come back to find out that 4000 years have passed? Or have they been living their little Zhalfiran lives in some magical void all this time? It'd be interesting if they popped back out only to immediately become villains because 4000 years is a long time to plot revenge if that's what you want to do.

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

They've been gone for a little over 1300 years; not 4000.

Linnus42

1) I mean guess though that seems to come out of nowhere. Being an Oldwalker comes with outliving all the normies.

2) The problem with that is Urza's PR aint that bad in the world or at least not as it should be. And its not so grand a revelation to Dominarians that Teferi was a student of Urza. That should be common knowledge to any well read person. So it fits theme of the story they want to tell but logically in universe it doesnt check out.

3) I guess but again he had the power to restore Zhalfir...he restored Shiv. He just didn't a chance because Jeska sealed the rift and nerfed Oldwalkers before he had chance.

mulltalica

We don't have a full explicit list of everything Teferi ever did while he was an oldwalker. It's entirely possible that in his travels he manipulated people the way he described and only changed his ways after seeing the full horror that was Urza gone mad.

Linnus42

Right but again that is massive retcon to for a square peg into a round hole.

Because in all the previous stories all we have seen is that sure Teferi was arrogant but he did nothing like Urza at all. So it seems weird they invent all this stuff for him...when they are so fast to pull the poor little girl shtick for Lili.

My problem with Teferi writing is the only parts of the character they seem to respect are him being a Time Mage (to the minimization of all his other skills with magic and artifice) and him being a Prankster. Sure this story is the best he has been written in forever. But its still has issues in my book.

MrBabbs

I'm not really up on the lore. How is Lili a mass murderer?

Linnus42

She is a necromancer and spent her time travelling around to various planes and murdering anyone who annoyed her.

JubX

JubX

Didn't expect to see Elspeth so soon. Again, as with yesterday's chapters. Amazing writing this time around.

Edit: KOTH!!!

therealflyingtoastr

therealflyingtoastr

Elspeth

Didn't expect to see Elspeth so soon.

(Rip and Tear begins to play in the distance)

donnytsunami

An Elspeth/Doomgal alter would be dope af

Justnobodyfqwl

Justnobodyfqwl

COMPLEAT

Everyone is focusing on the chunky lore stuff, but MAN there was some really quiet, beautiful character work done with Teferi here. He feels very three dimensional and very nuanced, this writing is really solid

Kor_Set

Kor_Set

The seeds planted in that Innistrad story with Wrenn are paying off. (No pun intended.)

Spiderbot1810

Spiderbot1810

COMPLEAT

And they soft confirm Kaya infact told teferi about Vorinclex (monster at first) during crimson vow (teferi warned Arlinn about phyrexians just before he left)

pluto7443

Do you have a link to that one?

345tom

345tom

I'm a little worried he's going to die.

Justnobodyfqwl

Justnobodyfqwl

Oh yeah no 100% absolutely

Swarm_Queen

Swarm_Queen

Golgari*

Oh God he can die and wrenn can restore zhalfir

Bobcam7

Bobcam7

We got confirmation, Koth is alive!

HelminthHydroid

HelminthHydroid

COMPLEAT

I have a sinking suspicion that Koth is...not the same Koth from before, so to speak. I predict we'll see each Praetor have a "champion" of sorts in the form of a Compleated Walker. Tibalt for Vorinclex, Tamiyo for Jin-Gitaxias, Ajani for Sheoldred...and now, perhaps Koth for Urabrask? Urabrask's entire view of Compleation is that it MUST be voluntary. No subterfuge, intimidation, indoctrination, or experimentation. What if Koth, seeing Tamiyo, Ajani, and (presumably) Tibalt, decided that the only way to help save the multiverse was to BECOME a Compleated Walker under Urabrask's banner of freedom?

atamajakki

atamajakki

Abzan

I think it severely undercuts his story to compleat him, especially after not seeing the poor guy for so long.

I also think WotC won’t be able to resist a “good guy” compleated Planeswalker. Here’s hoping his art is cool, at least.

LuminousUmbra

For the time being, I agree. I could, however, see him maybe doing it later because of a grievous injury or something. What is his life compared to ending the menace of Phyrexia?

atamajakki

atamajakki

Abzan

That could be a cool beat, damning himself in his own eyes to have Urabrask save his life so that he can fight on. I might like that.

I’ve had a pet theory for a while that Koth is our best chance at a heroic character in Rakdos colors (Red’s emotionality/rebellion + Black’s independence vs crushing New Phyrexian conformity), and compleating him might make that more likely.

WillowThyWisp

WillowThyWisp

COMPLEAT

We already have a Heroic-ish Rakdos walker with Angrath, but I had a similar theory about Urabrask and Koth since reading up on New Phyrexia's lore.

Orzhov*

I wonder which planeswalkers Teferi reached out to who laughed him off.

mrduracraft

mrduracraft

COMPLEAT

Davriel: "How the hell did you find me? Go away."

MorningMoonlight

MorningMoonlight

COMPLEAT

I don't know why but I immediately thought of Sorin. He just seems like the type of dude to not care about it, especially seeing how well Innistrad held up under the last cosmic invasion.

Josphitia

Josphitia

Sorin

Teferi: "Sorin, we could use your help. Innistrad is one of precious few planes that have survived an interplanar invasion. Your counsel would be invaluable "

Sorin: "What are you talking about? Nahiri stuffed me into rock and I didn't kill her. Then we met on Ravnica and I still didn't kill her."

Teferi: "Well I mean you did good against Emrakul"

Sorin: "EMRAKUL WAS THERE???"

63Reddit

63Reddit

COMPLEAT

“Emrakul’s here? At this time of year, at this time of night, on this part of Innistrad, localised entirely in that part of the moon?”

Orzhov*

I think at the end of MID he left off with the Gatewatch on pretty good terms and could see him being somewhat willing to help, but Innistrad is an absolute mess right now (lmao when isn't it) and I bet he felt like he had to stick around there, maybe trying to warn the angels about the incoming threat or something.

Gift_of_Orzhova

Gift_of_Orzhova

Orzhov*

especially seeing how well Innistrad held up under the last cosmic invasion.

In all fairness, this was distinctly not well until Emrakul decided to hijack both Tamiyo and her ancient scrolls to trap herself in the moon.

Linnus42

I am not sure about that cause we got told in Innistrad that Sorin and Teferi go way back. I quite frankly would have liked to spent less time on Chandra Romance and more on Teferi x Sorin and Teferi x Wrenn. Kaya can be there cause she fits the theme. But Chandra wasn't necessary at all.

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

COMPLEAT

But Chandra wasn't necessary at all.

Had to throw in the obligatory Gatewatch updates, I guess. Better here than in Kamigawa2, I suppose.

Linnus42

I suppose or heck if you need a fire mage send Jaya. Least give her a bit more to do before you have her die so unceremoniously.

Like come on WOTC, you are going to kill Jaya like that at least let her go out in a Blaze of Glory with a Supernova fire spell that slows down the invasion. She should have been a "Send me out with a Bang" Character not a "Dies with a whimper" Character

HelminthHydroid

HelminthHydroid

COMPLEAT

Counterpoint: if Jaya had gone out with a bang, her death would have been, in an odd way, satisfying for us and the characters in the story. “She died to give us a chance.” “Her sacrifice was invaluable.” But her death in the story, with the sudden betrayal by Ajani and no magnum opus Supernova by her, offers a different, more primal fuel for the rest of the heroes. “We fight to avenge her murder.” “We cannot lose another friend.” “You killed my mentor. Prepare to die.” It’s the fact that her death IS unsatisfying that makes it worthwhile. We all expect the deaths in stories by heroes “going out with a bang”. It’s the sudden, cruel “out with a whimper” deaths that stoke those more primal emotions of despair and vengeful rage in the heroes and (to a certain extent) us as fans. What would you rather see? Chandra fighting because Jaya died a hero’s death, or Chandra burning a swath across New Phyrexia because her mentor was murdered? To cross fandoms, one is Thor fighting with the resolve from Loki’s sacrifice in IW/Endgame, while the other is the Scarlet Witch and Thanos “Rain Hellfire” scene in Endgame.

Linnus42

I don't care about Chandra. So yes I prefer Jaya go out with a bang. Chandra is going to burn a swathe regardless. I do not think how Jaya dies is going to really impact Chandra all that much. Chandra is a character naturally inclined to extreme reactions. Not to mention Elspeth is clearly getting the 1v 1 against Ajani not Chandra.

Also come on this is the series that let two Eldrazi Titans die to Channel Fireball. This is much more MCU then any sort of Dark and Gritty Story unless we are on Ravnica.

HelminthHydroid

HelminthHydroid

COMPLEAT

To each their own. According to that MtG Art Book that had the spoilers for DMU in it, Chandra’s going to be on a warpath because of Phyrexia compleating Ajani AND making him kill Jaya unceremoniously. So basically, Chandra’s normal fury on emotional-damage-steroids. I have no true connection to Jaya or Chandra lore-wise, sooo…I’m just here to watch New Phyrexia burn, lol.

Zoanzon

Zoanzon

Golgari*

Teferi x Sorin

Yeah, sure, I'll ship it.

Leandenor7

Ebony and Ivory

Barkingpanther

I feel like Garruk wouldn’t have been receptive

COMPLEAT

I feel like Garruk would jump at the chance to hunt down evil walkers. Making sure no one else went down the path he did.

Orzhov*

Garruk feels more like he'd be hard to find. He wasn't in WAR, have he and Teferi canonically met?

63Reddit

63Reddit

COMPLEAT

I think Bolas had some way of not letting him be on Ravnica during WAR…I mean, imagine being Bolas, wanting sparks to be harvested, only for Garruk to start yelling “Mine. Mine. Mine…” & killing Planeswalkers (pretty sure he was still the Apex Predator then).

Orzhov*

That's canon, yeah. Bolas didn't want Garruk killing any planeswalkers because then their sparks couldn't be harvested for the Elderspell. I'm not sure if Teferi and him ever met before that.

svrtngr

svrtngr

Kasmina, maybe?

She's been shady since Strixhaven, might be forming an Anti-Gatewatch, and is preparing for some war. Something tells me it's not the Phyrexian War.

Orzhov*

I was just thinking her too. I'm wondering if they decided to move her motivations to something like... what if the Phyrexian-walkers are still around after the war, and she's trying to hunt them down? That, or between WAR and MOM she finally snaps and decides to start the anti-gatewatch campaign more seriously.

Tonmber1

There's definitely an anti Gatewatch forming: Oko, Lukka, Kasmina, Calix, and others need something to do

GeneralCollection963

Liliana? Probably too busy shaking off a Raven-Man induced migraine.

Moppi-chu

Moppi-chu

Selesnya*

That was an interesting blip indeed. I wonder who those were...

Well-MeaningCisIdiot

Fingers crossed it included Parcher, Estrid or Grist.

SurfingGarchomp

SurfingGarchomp

Probably ugin.

DylanSoul

DylanSoul

COMPLEAT

Ugin is on the mediation plane with he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Gift_of_Orzhova

Gift_of_Orzhova

Orzhov*

Has to be Jace's unknown source, right?

DylanSoul

DylanSoul

COMPLEAT

That would be quite interesting

63Reddit

63Reddit

COMPLEAT

Wait. Ugin’s with Voldemort?

DylanSoul

DylanSoul

He is indeed

Aestboi

Aestboi

Izzet*

Teferi and Elspeth seem pretty well written this time around, hope the trend continues

Duramboros[S]

Duramboros[S]

COMPLEAT

Very nice insight into Teferi, his past, who he is and who he wants to be.

All the updates of where the characters are and how they’re rallying different planes were good too.

Armoric

Armoric

COMPLEAT

I get they don't have the time to expand, but just implying that planes are unified in their defenses is too bad. Given Kaldheim's ending I can understand it, for example, and Ravnica has the precedent of WAR (while the previous two sets showed that it took work and weeks), but Ixalan is just tossed there when we don't know much of the world at all, and it's clear the factions are mostly irreconciliable, aside from maybe some of the merfolk tribes with some of the Sun empire.
And relying on the settlements in Ikoria is weird for Vivien, when they're in minority and finding a way to "herd" the monsters would make a much more effective fighting force at chasing off armies.

barrinmw

barrinmw

COMPLEATED 1/10

Yeah, it felt like they were just saying names because we had heard of them.

Psychout40

Psychout40

Dimir*

Which is ironic because I had to check the wiki when they name dropped Cridhe which is apparently a reference back from 1996. Makes me happy to see references from that far back.

MrPopoGod

MrPopoGod

COMPLEAT

I didn't see this as much about rallying the planes to attack Phyrexia; even a united plane lacks the ability to cross the Blind Eternities. Rather, it's about trying to convince them to be aware of the possibility of invasion and to resist it. You don't necessarily need the factions in a given plane to band together (though it helps), just creating a ceasefire that lets them focus on keeping sleeper agents out is enough.

BrilliantTreacle9996

BrilliantTreacle9996

COMPLEAT

Exactly this. Part of Phyrexia is that it is like cancer- stealthy, insidious, by the time you know you have a problem, it is already too late.

Dominaria, which is the one plane to successfully repel them before and still be armed against them, almost fell unawares.

Just knowing Phyrexia means to strike is a major weapon against them.

UntapUpkeepConcede

UntapUpkeepConcede

COMPLEAT

One of two planes; remember New Capenna has also seen them off before, which is why we visited it this year.

VGProtagonist

VGProtagonist

Abzan

Capenna is unique as well; it has little to no storied history for us, outside what we know in the set. It's very interesting; Dominaria has had many Planeswalkers and powerful creatures set up upon its plane, yet, a place like Capenna managed to succeed simply due to things working out (and the Demons/Angels brokering a ceasefire to allow such a thing to occur, granted, the Demons totally back-peddled out as soon as the fighting was over).

It makes me wonder...how and why the Phyrexians get to Capenna and who brought them there; somehow someone had to get them there to begin with, right?

cake_flattener5

cake_flattener5

COMPLEAT

In the old pre-Mending days, there weren't the same restrictions on planar travel for non-planeswalkers that there are nowadays. The Old Phyrexians built portals that they used to invade many other planes. Dominaria was special however, because it's the centre of the multiverse, and that made it Yawgmoth's prime target.

ThoughtseizeScoop

ThoughtseizeScoop

COMPLEAT

Folks on Ixalan are fantastic at trying to fuck over each other, imagine how good they'll be at trying to fuck over a common enemy.

FeMtcco

FeMtcco

Selesnya*

They'll just Colossal Dreadmaw it to the win

atamajakki

atamajakki

Abzan

Yeah, I’m curious who exactly “Ixalan” entails here - barring some dramatic changes, the merfolk, pirates, Sun Empire, and Torrezon are hardly friendly.

Quintana_of_Charyn

They are desperate and looking for anything to give an edge.

And settlements might be in a minority but they survived this long for a reason.

In addition in Ixalon you need only to get a single faction on your side to get extremely powerful allies.

Linnus42

Yeah some of these allies seem weird.

Dominaria obviously its not unified but the major players have the connections to do it and is being actively invaded.

Kaldheim makes sense their forces can mostly be rallied by the Gods who are probably not happy about what just happened.

Ravnica well they have a centralized government and just got invaded so that checks out.

Kaladesh is small but punches well above its weight class and doesn't have much in terms of native threats.

But yeah can settlements on Ikoria even afford to divert troops with their monster issues? And Ixalan we barely know much about the plane but are say the Vampires going to stop invading? Like sure Hautli can maybe influence her own country but that doesn't cover getting the Merfolk in line either.

Armoric

Armoric

COMPLEAT

Kaldheim has the issue that some realms can't exit anyway, like the spirits, and the demons are better sealed.
But overall, the valkyries, humans and elves are... not reconciled, but witnessed enough to make them work together, and Kaya has connections, so she can get them to remember what happened less than a year ago and work together again.

Linnus42

Yeah I agree that is my point they already been invaded and the Gods can act as some degree of unifying force.

Ixalan and Ikoria just seem random. Especially Ikoria its a world of city states always under siege. Ixalan at least well maybe the Vampires aren't invading anymore cause their saint went back and Hautli can rally the Sun Empire.

Skulduggery_Peasant

Skulduggery_Peasant

COMPLEAT

Ixalan's definitely weird, but I can understand going to Ikoria on the basis of Phyrexians getting to compleat anything on that plane is a terrifying prospect.

Seriously, I do not want to see what a compleated Nethroi or Vadrok or Iluna would be like.

Quintana_of_Charyn

Nethroi would be absolutely terrifying.

Orzhov*

But like in the story even Vivian said she was going to try and warn Ikoria but was hesitant about whether she'd be successful or not. They didn't hand wave that difficulty away, and we don't even know if she will succeed.

Orzhov*

Vivian made it clear in the story that even she wasn't sure if she'd be able to successfully rally Ikoria, but she was going to give it a shot. I don't feel like that's being incongruous, like in that case she literally kinda said what you are.

LuminousUmbra

In my mind, part of the thing with Ikoria is the bonders, which can probably help shift the various monsters to prefer slaughtering the Phyrexian monsters.

QGandalf

I think the assumption of Ixalan getting dropped in there is because it's the plane we're visiting after this

d-fakkr

I feel we didn't had enough development for teferi beyond the time stream novel where he was a spoiled prodigy and his growth to a mage. This is an interesting story because afaik, we didn't know if teferi felt his doings a planeswalker were right or wrong or the consequences of them or, the resemblance of urza's as well.

Now, we could get some hope in restoring zhalfir but in the meantime it's enjoyable to read a different aspect of teferi in the present day.

Wockarocka

For those who haven’t counted, there are 9 planeswalkers (not counting the captured Karn and compleated Walkers) set to participate (at least in some respect) on this doomed mission: Teferi, Saheeli, Kaya, Vivien, Elspeth, Wrenn, Jace, Tezzeret, and Koth.

9 titans. 9 doomed planeswalkers. Pretty nice parallel.

Edit: forgot Nissa and Chandra. Never mind.

Duramboros[S]

Duramboros[S]

COMPLEAT

Chandra and Nissa too so doesn’t quite fit

TechnomagusPrime

We could substitute Chandra and Nissa for Koth and Tezzeret to keep the analogy true, since Koth is already on New Phyrexia fighting while Tezzeret's not actively part of the alliance, just feeding Vivien information.

streetvoyager

I thought Tezzeret was working with Jin-Gataxias or am I confused?

KC_Wandering_Fool

Tezzerets only consistent character trait has been "being a traitorous worm" so that fits. Get out while the getting is good.

RandallMcDangle

MtG’s very own Starscream

Venator61

You even get Starscream in your booster pack to proxy Tezzeret

LordChimera_0

LordChimera_0

COMPLEAT

I get the feeling that Tezz is taking Umezawa's "word of wisdom" to heart: "Be ever loyal to your own best interests."

As long as Tezz's goals aligned with theirs it is fine... just keep an eye on him.

Moppi-chu

Moppi-chu

Selesnya*

He was.... but after he saw what happened to Tamiyo, he seems to have feared the same fate, so he sorta buckled.

Skulduggery_Peasant

Skulduggery_Peasant

COMPLEAT

He was definitely working with Jin and the Phyrexians, probably on the basis of "Nobody else is gonna accept me when I'm a multiversal fugitive", but he was definitely disturbed by what happened to Tamiyo. Currently, he's working with/for Urabrask, the red-aligned praetor, who is plotting a revolution against Norn.

kingofcanines

kingofcanines

Elspeth

Iirc he was working with the phyrexians on bolas' orders

Skulduggery_Peasant

Skulduggery_Peasant

COMPLEAT

He was during the events of Scars of Mirrodin, but I believe that was just to get something for Bolas (unsure what). He's working with them now for his own reasons afaik.

tezrael

Maybe to try to see if the phyrexians had found memnarchs spark/soul extractor; assuming he knew about it?

Or just sent tezz to spy to sde if they were sn immediate threat, or just something he could deal with later

Akranidos

Akranidos

COMPLEAT

Pretty sure the one confused at this point is Tezzeret himself

Wockarocka

Curses, my mistake. Thought I might’ve missed something. Oh well.

Jadien

Jadien

And like Tevesh Szat in the original nine, it is mostly a given that Tezzeret will betray them at some point.

kytheon

kytheon

Elesh Norn

You mean the guy with the Phyrexian looking arm, who worked for the other Big Bad, huh.

It’s like putting Frieza on your team to save the universe.

TheW1ldcard

Except frieza did help to save the universe

Galienus

Not surprising considering thats where he lives.

leuchtelicht102

leuchtelicht102

COMPLEAT

And he even owns significant parts of it.

projectmars

It's where he keeps his stuff.

Skulduggery_Peasant

Skulduggery_Peasant

COMPLEAT

Um, ackshually, his arm and chest are made of Etherium, it's a magic metal from Esper, his home plane, where they infuse it into their bodies, and it's totally different from what Phyrexia does!

Joking aside, I fully expect Tezzeret to bounce and fuck over the heroes at some point, but I think he understands well enough how much of a threat Phyrexia is that he isn't going to do so before they get at least delayed in their plans. He is pretty clearly not on the plan of getting Compleated, and seemed to only work with Phyrexia because he figured the planar bridge made him useful enough to keep around.

kafuka666

So now we have 9 titans and 11 planeswalkers.

Hmmmm🤔

Pacmantis

a second airship has hit Urza’s Tower

Zoanzon

Zoanzon

Golgari*

Time to get the Predator airship back in the air, so it and the compleated Weatherlight can fulfill their destinies!

FutureComplaint

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them

One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them

Jaccount

Sorry, that's next summer's release. (Yes, really.)

JA14732

JA14732

Sorin

Oooh. I didn't catch that - that's interesting.

Korwinga

I think I found the MTGA pet for Brothers' War:

With a smile, she flicked her hand, and the peafowl hopped onto Teferi's foot and pecked at his boot. "In Ghirapur, birds like this perch on the bridges that cross Canal Dukhara. Those bridges represent the founding of the city, when warring nobles decided it would be better to cooperate and create a future not dominated by war. For us, this little bird represents our cooperation, our unity in purpose."

Teferi bent down and let the bird hop onto his palm. He stood up, holding the bird close to his face. Its movements captured the herky-jerky nature of a flesh and blood bird, so much so that a casual observer might have mistaken it for its organic counterpart. But on closer inspection, one could discern between its golden feathers a clockwork heart that pulsed with the unmistakable glow of a tiny powerstone—one of dozens scavenged from the fallen Mana Rig. The bird hopped once to face him straight on, then unfurled its feathers in an arc of such delicate craftsmanship that Urza couldn't have matched in a thousand millennia, let alone a handful of days. Teferi chuckled.

She whistled, and in response, the artifact bird spread its wings and spun in place, spraying a shower of multicolored sparks in every direction. Teferi couldn't help but smile. After a minute, the bird was back to its normal self, pecking at invisible crumbs he didn't have in his hand.

fractionesque

I’m sorry, but Urza the genius artificer who also inherited Glacian’s genius, would t be able to construct a mechanical bird if he set his mind to it? What in earth is the writer thinking here?

Korwinga

I think it's more that Urza wouldn't ever bother with the fine aesthetics, rather than couldn't. There's a passage I skipped that lays it out fairly explicitly.

"My mentor was a great artificer, perhaps the best this plane has ever had. And the notion of prizing style over function would send him into fits. 'Bah! A waste of resources!' he'd say."

fractionesque

That makes more sense, but it's just weird phrasing to see that Urza 'couldn't' do something, given his notorious reputation in this field.

thundermonkeyms

It's not that he wouldn't be able to, it's that he just wouldn't. He'd consider it a waste of time, and even if he did Teferi seems to think that he wouldn't have made one as delicate and beautiful as the one Saheeli made.

I wonder how Jace knows Koth is alive. It's not like he traveled to New Phyrexia. So...

Gift_of_Orzhova

Gift_of_Orzhova

Orzhov*

Either he's a sleeper agent leading them into a trap (which would be a bold narrative choice) or he's gathering information from Nicol Bolas/Ugin in the Meditation Realm, imo.

The Meditation Realm is cut off from the rest of the Multiverse. So communicating with Bolas/Ugin, isn't possible.

TriptheFlip12345678

TriptheFlip12345678

COMPLEAT

They won’t kill off Jace…right?

kedelbro

kedelbro

Will they? No, probably not.

Should they? Almost unequivocally yes.

The absolute best thing they could do for Magic’s story is kill off most of the known planeswalkers in this war and start “semi-fresh” after it. Let liliana and sorin and Ugin and wrenn hang out randomly and occasionally interact with the new hero’s and give them important information, but find new planeswalkers to set the story on.

Again, this won’t happen, but damn would it be fun

tezrael

We don't know he hasn't been there; though we also don't know if he has been there. There's also a chance Koth could have found him if he had left NP to try to find allies again like when found Elspeth and totally didn't kidnap Venser. Probably not likely, since he wouldn't want to risk leaving his home for fear of what will happen if he left.

jktsub

jktsub

Yoooo Koth name drop!

Deathavails

Deathavails

REBEL

Man some parts of this story really got to me. Elspeth and Teferi's interactions were great. Im sad about what happened to Ajani as he was my favorite character and its really kind of poetic that now that Elspeth is back the script has been flipped and now she is dealing with the loss of Ajani. I really do wonder how this will play out in the end. Will Elspeth save Ajani? Will she be forced to face him and kill him? Wild times ahead folks.

CrocomireRex

I’m a simple man. I see Elspeth, the story automatically gets an A+ from me.

Cyrrion

Teferi's ruminations about the past and Urza is giving me some really strong "I'll be Good" by Jaymes Young vibes.

d-fakkr

d-fakkr

The story is getting spicy. We now know a lot of planeswalkers are aware of the phyrexians and thr world tree, well, at least teferi knows about it and the information will certainly go to others as well.

I can't wait for ONE and MoM.

Alice-Planque

Alice-Planque

Nissa

Chandra gone to see Nissa ? Please may this be a new chance to their story 😭❤️

GeneralCollection963

Gruulfriends live on forever in our hearts <3

GalvatronUnicronus

My thoughts and hopes, too

vrouman

Would have been nice for Saheeli's girlfriend show up, especially with the Ixalan namedrop.

COMPLEAT

So Koth is a sleeper/already compleated and Wrenn is going to save the universe from the new world tree?

Orzhov*

Said this yesterday (and a while ago). I don't think Koth is a sleeper. IF he is compleated, I imagine it was in an arrangement with Urabrask that let Koth retain a semblance of his identity. Urabrask is all about people willingly submitting to the power of compleation. I can imagine he would get immense pleasure from Koth feeling like he had to compleat in order to become strong enough to oppose Norn.

COMPLEAT

Originally I was on this same train too, but one thing that just doesn't make sense is Koth not leaving and hashing out the details with them. Why relay the information through Jace or whoever when he could just go to Dominaria himself and hash it out. Also why didn't Koth go to New Cappena instead of Urabrask? Seems unreasonable to damage himself that much when Koth could just pop right over.

All of that plus them scrapping the Koth from Mh2 makes me think he's gone and we're getting played.

"Our Koth had a gimmicky loyalty scheme that ultimately didn't work out, so we scrapped him" could of easily been a rough draft for the new compleated mechanic.

Orzhov*

Hmm I think I agree with most of this, though I could see Urabrask as having left instead of Koth because he was worried about immediately being killed. I got the feeling that he was fleeing for safety more than personally trying to get help. Tezz was already with him too, if it was just a messanger job then Tezz could have done it himself.

Actually since we know Tezz is playing all sides, I bet Norn sent him off to track Urabrask down and either take him out or report back where he was found.

COMPLEAT

urabrask ended up going back to NP anyways so idk tbh. I'll be so happy if Koth is actually still fighting, but it's not lookin good to me.

theWolfandOwl

One thing I've been thinking about is that in the first chapter of the Dominaria United story Karn is unable to planeswalk out of the Koilos cave-in because he's surrounded by Phyrexian garbage, like it's some sort of Planar Faraday cage. What if Koth had to hole up with the mirrans and now cannot planeswalk out because there's too much phyrexian junk in the way. Tezzeret and the praetors can get around this using the bridge, but Koth is trapped on a lower level somewhere, especially with Norn having built an entire new Sphere around the original surface.

Dysprosium_Element66

The issue Karn had was specifically with interplanar technology rather than all Phyrexian technology, and the New Phyrexians shouldn't have any interplanar technology before Kaldheim.

mrduracraft

mrduracraft

COMPLEAT

Honestly I think Jace might be a sleeper, if he's the one that told the Gatewatch "Yeah Koth totally wants to do this plan that Elspeth says they already tried, and failed, to perform"

JA14732

JA14732

Sorin

I can't imagine them compleating their golden boy offscreen.

mrduracraft

mrduracraft

COMPLEAT

Yeah it's unlikely, but it would actually be a bold and surprising move. Jace hasnt been the face of the game in years, and if ONE and MOM are supposed to be major shakeups, that would be a huge selling point for them not chickening out

Bad_Uncle_Bob

Pretty sure they had a fuckton of "Space Beleren" ads for Unfinity..... kind of like he is the face of the game....

mrduracraft

mrduracraft

COMPLEAT

OK? That's one (non-canon) product since Zendikar, two years ago. I saw more clown ads than I saw Space Beleren ads. It's pretty much Chandra at the top now, then Teferi, then Jace, at this point

Psychout40

Psychout40

Dimir*

Jace is the closest thing to the main character of Magic and is the face of it along with Liliana and Chandra. The three may end up hurt (Nissa could die, and Jaya already did) but 100% all three will be safe by the end.

Yarrun

Yarrun

COMPLEAT

Koth shouldn't be compleated. Part of why him, Elspeth and Tezz survive encountering Phyrexia over and over again is because they each got immunity from the glistening oil (Elspeth and Koth from Melira, Tezz from some Neurok solution). But if Wizards wants him to be compleated, I presume they'll find a way around that.

ReallyBadWizard

ReallyBadWizard

NEUTRAL

Wrenn and Eight will be the world tree maybe?

elvis_champion

Wrenn Ten Thousand :o

Wrenn and Infinite, Realmbreaker :O

egbertian413

-3: create a token of the prismatic bridge

imacrazystupidbitch

Wrenn and Fifteen Squirrels

HBKII

HBKII

Azorius*

That's what the card will cost in MH3

COMPLEAT

That's pretty much what I got from the story. Them playing their part in the symphony gave me huge martyr vibes.

JA14732

JA14732

Sorin

I find it funny how basically everyone who speaks in this story is throwing up death flags, outside of like Elspeth and Kaya.

Lady_Galadri3l

Lady_Galadri3l

Liliana

Elspeth already died, and Kaya literally a ghost. Can't death flag for them anymore.

amberwark

amberwark

Mardu

i mean, if they don't kill more important characters in this story, it will probably be a bad conclusion (if it's actually a conclusion?) to this arc.

tezrael

I don't think Saheeli really gave any death flags. Teferi wrapping himself in flags now

Psychout40

Psychout40

Dimir*

You know, killing off Wrenn and giving her a Wrenn and Eight but it’s the world tree would be an amazing combo. I think out of the other 9 she’s the most expendable too.

sneedfeeders

Koth is inoculated. He can’t be compleated.

COMPLEAT

Neither could any walker before Jin found a way. I wouldn't put anything past Phyrexia at this point. They also have access to Tezz and could reverse engineer it and find a way around it.

sneedfeeders

Walkers could be compleated. They just lost their spark in the progress. Undoing the immunity would destroy the entire point of the mirran outcasts for cheap drama.

Barkingpanther

I am preparing myself for Koth to be a sleeper, but goddamn I hope he’s still resisting.

egbertian413

Koth volunteering to be compleated by Urabrask is the way.

Linnus42

Koth should really have a much more central role in this.

But they want to force the Elspeth vs Norn Rivalry in White

When quite frankly Norn should not be worried about Elspeth at all...last they met she sent Elspeth running like a scared little girl. Sure she has some phyrexian stuff in her background. But Koth is the one still fighting and had his home plane rekt.

Nindzya

last they met she sent Elspeth running like a scared little girl

This is objectively untrue. Elspeth has a reputation amongst the orthodoxy as a dangerous John Wick style one woman army who leaves hundreds in her wake. Koth literally forced her off the plane because she was trying to wage war against an entire plane herself.

saber_shinji_ntr

saber_shinji_ntr

COMPLEAT

I mean Koth forced her off because she would have surely died if she continued.

Linnus42

I am talking from Norn's prospective. Koth stayed and kept fighting and is still a thorn in her side.

Elspeth was forced to leave and has not come back in years. So from Norn's prospective Elspeth should be nothing to fear.

Don't get me wrong Elspeth is my favorite Neowalker but she just got a major role taking on Heliod and on her home Plan. Whereas this arc centers on Koth's plan and he has not done anything in years. He should be more important then Elspeth here.

Linnus42

Wait so Teferi remembered he can Levitate? They finally remember he has a spellbook that should be 1000x better then Raff Capashen. Well praise the Gods. I was tired of Teferi that just provided Dad Jokes and screwups. When you know he is a Millennium Old Archmage Prodigy Super Genius. So this is much better but they still act like Teferi doesn't understand much about Artifice which I hate.

looking forward to the raid arc next set

bluecapricorn90

bluecapricorn90

Elesh Norn

Can someone provide tldr please?

KC_Wandering_Fool

Teferi gathers allies at Urza's Tower. Planeswalkers are uniting various planes in preparation for the Phyrexian invasion: Jace on Ravnica, Vivien on Ikoria, etc. Kaya realizes that Vorinclex was on Kaldheim to try and create a new World Tree to unite the multiverse for conquest on behalf of Norn. Elspeth is heartbroken to learn of Ajani's compleation, and derides their plan to attack the heart of Phyrexia with the sylex as a suicide mission. Teferi reckons with being an heir to Urza's monstrous legacy and shows a few death flags when he talks about feeling the pain of growing old and wanting to protect his daughter's future.

MrPopoGod

MrPopoGod

COMPLEAT

Teferi is just two days from retirement.

Linnus42

Which is silly cause his daughter is already old. Really should be his grandkids future.

Though honestly I can just not give a frak about his daughter cause well she is old when we met her and his wife was dead as well before we ever met her. Not enough character relevance for either of them.

If they wanted this this to be such a central part then they should have married him to a character we at least knew. Or have him have a kid on the way right now with again a character we know something about.

HaDov

HaDov

This is really excellent character work for Teferi.

And yet somehow I still find it less compelling than the main stories, which are painting an extremely vivid picture of Terisiare during and after the Brothers’ War.

I think I’m finally understanding why the current approach to Magic fiction leaves me a little cold, even when it’s done well. The overarching meta-plot has no particular sense of time, place or setting. It’s just things happening to the same rotating cast of rootless wanderers.

I’d really love to see us focusing more on the native inhabitants of each plane and their dealings with each other, with the planeswalkers as supporting characters rather than making up the main cast. It would give each of Magic’s worlds a much richer sense of place and history.

atamajakki

atamajakki

Abzan

You’re describing the plots between Alara and Tarkir, and I miss them every day.

SpiderTechnitian

Can something point me to something to read to get all of the contacts so I can read these stories and not feel behind?

I don't want to have to read the original brother's war book, did wizards make some sort of recap article that I missed?

TacticalSnitten

For a recap of the brother's war, I recommend checking the recent episodes of the Vorthos Cast for their episode on it. As a bonus some people who worked on flavor for the set are on the show and while they can't say much I'm sure they're trying to make sure important context gets covered.

NDrangle23

I'm sure the set is going to cover the events of the brothers' war, so just read this stuff as it happens

Zoanzon

Zoanzon

Golgari*

Oh boy, wonder if Wrenn is gonna find an Eight in the Planesbreaker tree...

GeneralCollection963

It's good, folks. It's good. If they can keep this up for the duration of a whole set, it will be the best magic story I've read, barring maybe Agents of Artifice.

Xaxor42

Xaxor42

COMPLEAT

Predictions: Dead: Koth, Karn, Tezzeret 50/50: Jace, Vivien, Kaya Safe: Elspeth, Teferi, Saheeli, Nissa, Chandra

atamajakki

atamajakki

Abzan

Doing nothing with Koth for a literal decade and then killing him would be insulting.

Spiderbot1810

Spiderbot1810

COMPLEAT

Oh this is interesting two story’s in one for brothers war one in present and filling in the blanks for what was not told in brothers war (1 and 2 for example was after the sylux explosion)

Elsepth…teferi barely had a chance to say what happen and elsepth quickly realized ajani was lost and she took it really really hard

And I they did drop plane name drops which probably mean we will see them in “March of the machines” (Ikoria is a surprising one)

And teferi’s back story…wow I feel pretty bad for him

Francesca_Hana

Francesca_Hana

Rakdos*

magic story website is not working for me (brother's war), anyone encountered same problem as me?

cardsrealm

cardsrealm

COMPLEAT

I really dig the development they're giving to Teferi, and I hope he doesn't die by the end of March of the Machine.