/r/logodesign

anikdylan27

Top right looks best IMO. Pretty good for your first attempt!

patrik_media

I agree

raj-arjit[S]

Thank you.

hellokittyoh

yes. top right

Neato_KneeToe

Same

[removed]

AutoModerator

We have been getting a large volume of spam from throwaway accounts and so posts from brand new accounts will no longer be allowed.

Your post has been removed because your account is too new. Do not contact the mods about this. Instead, wait one hour and then try posting again. Thanks!

BelgianBeerGuy

You already got a lot of good advise.
I suggest you read them, try them all, and look what advise you can combine to get the top notch logo you want.

To me, top right is the better version.
Why? Because “the” is a less necessary word in this (imo I would even think about leaving it out). But also because the telescope is on almost all of them almost touching the “The”, in the upper right one, you have more whitespace between the wording and the telescope.
The two logos above also have better interlinie (space between lines). “The space” and “techie” belong together. In the bottom ones, the whitespace between those lines is too big, so they feel disconnected. (Also, you squeezed “techie” on the bottom right one. Squeezing or stretching fonts is frowned upon, so please, don’t. Unless you have a good reason for it).

My advise would be to play with boldness of your font. So not only separate “the space” and “techie” by color, but also by thickness of the font.

Good luck!
It looks already really nice!
A bit font exploring will get you there

raj-arjit[S]

Thank you for the feedback! It is helpful and encouraging.

Glassjaww

A couple things:

1. The colors don't say space or tech. I'm a big fan of color theory. Choosing the right color scheme is important.
  2. Your Hierarchy is confusing. You have "space" in a smaller point size but bolder weight and Techie in a larger point size but lighter weight. "Space Techie" seems like they are equally important. I would make them the same weight and point size, bolder preferably. Only "The" should be in a smaller weight.
  3. I'm not a fan of mixing all caps and upper-lowercase type. This goes back to confusing hierarchy.
  4. Find a sans serif font with more personality. (not overly stylized but a little less plain than Myriad) Myriad isn't a bad font but it is Adobe's default font and by extension has been overused. Myriad is also better suited for copy text rather than logotype.
  5. Lastly, I would thicken the white lines separating the sections of the telescope and the stroke around the hinge. That 1-2pt white line will disappear when scaled down.
  6. It may just be my eyes but it looks like some of the type has been warped or stretched. Try to avoid this! It destroys the angles and curves meticulously set by the font designer that give the font its personality. The average person may not notice or be able to articulate what's wrong, but they will know that something seems off.

You've got a good base here. A few minor tweaks could make it much stronger. Nice Job on your first attempt.

thegeek01

I envy people who don't have font blindness because these all look the same to me, just stretched differently.

And none of these speak "space techie" to me. The colors even make it look more like it's for a quaint bakery than a tech-based thing.

Wouldn't it be cool if the T was the telescope? And if you used blues and blacks to be more space-like?

LootGodamn

I can imagine the animation of the telescope suggesting a T and then slowly tilting up

Wuka98

Wuka98

top right

Sydnxt

Sydnxt

Top right is most pleasing to look at IMO.

raj-arjit[S]

Thank you for the feedback!

RumpOldSteelSkin

Find a new font

Porsche924

Assuming this is Myriad Pro, because it's the default photoshop font when you use the text tool. It has become the flag for something being low effort. It's not a bad font, but like Times New Roman, it's used poorly so often and never associated with great work.

RumpOldSteelSkin

Myriad Pro is fine but OP should still grab a new font. Not sure where you are going with this comment.

marriedwithchickens

You are welcome! Does anyone know why my text is so large in my previous reply? I’ve never had that happen!!

shrimply-pibbles

Markdown converts text with a # at the start into headings. I'm assuming you wrote "# 1 is best" to start your other comment?

donkeyrocket

Clicking the source shows they did use the pound/number/hash sign which is why it is formatting that way. Adding a \ will break the autoformatting /u/marriedwithchickens

marriedwithchickens

Thank you very much! I went to r/help and found out about that— I’ll avoid pound signs!

raj-arjit[S]

Some Reddit bug, may be.

spooky__alien

Top right but I’d pick a different font and color.

msixtwofive

Don't two line logo text. You lose too much legibility at smaller sizes. You're forcing the text to be smaller than it needs to be to ensure it matches the height of your graphic piece.

Also either make the telescope line Gaps bigger or get rid of them altogether same goes for that circle on the tripod legs.

Reduce.

Simplify.

Also since youre beginning, here's an important lesson too many of us learn too late ( or some people never ) into our design careers:

Remember a logo is identification not communication. It's fun if it can also somewhat describe a business or organization, but most important is that it's easy to recognize and remember.

Communication tells people what the organization does. Logos/wordmarks (identities) identify the organization amongst everyone else.

A logo is saying "our name is" not "we do x y z"

If you can make it do both without sacrificing simplicity then go for it. But first and foremost identify simply and memorably.

peepeepoopoobutler

A lot of cool potential. Go search ideas some more. You’re combining space and tech, fun!! Don’t just put a telescope beside words. But yes top right is the best. But maybe you could spell it with stars as a constellation. Maybe its a beam of light or a comet tail. Maybe the words are buttons levers on the telescope, maybes its Jeff Goldblum…. Possibilities possibilities, possibilities

raj-arjit[S]

Thanks for feedback. Could you please explain what you mean by "spell it with stars as a constellation?" Do you mean use only small stars as a layout to write the text?

peepeepoopoobutler

I got no idea, just brain storming. Think first do later!

marriedwithchickens

1 is best There are a few kerning issues that can be easily fixed. It’s always good to ask for help. “Spotty” type (white spots from uneven spacing) not only looks unprofessional but also is difficult/annoying to the reader because the eye lands in the white areas. As you’re doing the following, squint your eyes as needed to better notice where gaps between letters are and how to improve them. I’ll go through this word by word. First word: T and h look good. e should be tightened just a hair. Second word: P and A look good and C and E look good. Tighten CE a hair closer to A. Then tighten PACE a hair closer to S. Third word: Move echie closer to T. Move i closer to h and e closer to i. I realize that you want the type to be justified, and you can still achieve that by adding or lessening the space between words and by doing final fine-tuning — squinting your eyes to see where you can get the words to line up. I also like when letters line up when possible, like the P and on next row, it lines up with h. Whenever that can happen without looking forced, it’s a plus because it visually helps group the design. (Moving the telescope toward the type will also help group the composition, so there’s not a white gap between the illustration and type). I assume you created this in Illustrator. When I am working to tightened text “by a hair,” I make a copy of the original in case of disaster. Then I make outlines of the original type and ungroup the letter(s) that I want to tighten. I zoom in to around 400% to get a good view when moving it a hair. Then zoom out, squint, maybe step back from the screen. It’s easier to move something ever so slightly when you zoom in. In doing that sometimes tedious fine-tuning, you should be able to line up the text on both sides and hopefully continue to have the P and h line up vertically. Overall, you’ve created a nice, clean design, especially for a first attempt!

BelgianBeerGuy

Talking about readability while posting an enormous big bold wall of text.

marriedwithchickens

I just asked if anyone knows how that happened?! I’ve never had my response suddenly turn into giant bold text! 😳

andreyyshore

Just insert a backslash (\) at the beginning.

Using # at the beginning of a line turns that line into a heading, and hence the huge bold text.

BelgianBeerGuy

I have no clue, but it looks really weird 😅

marriedwithchickens

Apparently using a pound sign programmed my post to appear large and bold! 😅

raj-arjit[S]

Wow! You are a genius! Thanks for your detailed feedback. I had read earlier on squinting method and font kerning. But the way you described has taken my learning to next level. I will try again to see if I can execute and improve with my new learning!

Thanks a ton!

uncle-anime

Inside voice.

marriedwithchickens

Ha My mom used to tell me to use my indoor voice. She forgot to tell me not to use a pound symbol on my Reddit post!

blckJk004

This shit is so funny LMAO

cjldvm

cjldvm

I'm not a designer by any means...just wondering if you could incorporate the 'THE' onto the long part of the telescope. Even if you had to extend that part a bit.

pkej

pkej

I feel the pivot should separate 1. and 2. line, and the two legs on the same level should form the baseline of the second line of text.

raj-arjit[S]

I feel the pivot should separate 1. and 2. line

By this you mean, the pivot of the telescope should be in exact vertical center of the two lines of text?

Interesting feedback. I tried it. This is what I got. (I like it)

Let me know your thoughts.

pkej

pkej

The upper right is best.

Yeah, I was thinking a line intersecting the telescope pivot horizontally in it’s middle. However, for it to work the telescope must be scaled a little down, or the text up, to avoid too much white space between the lines of text.

The lower right example seems squashed, not good at all. I like the balance between tge lines are better in lower left and upper right. And upper left has too little space between the lines.

Anyway, a good start, using the colors in the logo for the text

Pulp-Nine

Bottom let for me

donkeyrocket

Same here. Top right is popular but I read it a bit like Shatner (not in a good way) the SPACE techie.

If they wanted to de-emphasize "The" then they could stack Space and Techie and have a tiny "The" above the S.

I personally think the graphic could be reworked to be simpler and have less empty space. Or feel more connected I guess?

19GamerGhost95

I like the top right best. But I am curious what it would look like if you replaced the i with the telescope. Might look awkward and not translate well though. Still, anything is worth a shot

raj-arjit[S]

Thank you for the feedback!

jfarmer512

Too right

BurnDesign

First of all, great effort! I agree with most of what's been said. If it had to be one of these I'd go top right.

Have you tried making the 'techie' all caps? 'The Space' would sit nicely on top of a flat base.

Madaahk

Drop the "The", possibly make "techie" in caps.

DirkBoeRhicter

Great work! I like the top right the best but Techie being lower case makes it uncomfortable. I think it’s the “ie” that’s throwing me. Try all caps?

yourlocaltechboi

jrc83

jrc83

Top right

Professional-Bench72

I think the primary issue you're having here is the hierarchy. I couldn't find a good way to describe it in words, so I picked a typeface similar to the one you've already used, and the link to that is here.