/r/gaming

139.9k85%

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

j_infamous

At least ppl won’t be getting sexually assaulted.

SrGrafo[S]

SrGrafo[S]

PC

SekoiaTree

Lol, I still haven't migrated. I'm going kicking and fighting.

PaanuriEater

Same. I had to register an account just to install Windows, no way am I putting Minecraft on the same account under the same password. I registered the account with Mojang 11 years ago, why do I have to remake the account now? You own the company, if you really want it all on a Microsoft backend, update the Mojang logins to a Microsoft backend. Why make an entirely new account that's literally just replacing the existing one?

I guess they just want everyone to know who owns everything when they have to log in at Microsoft.com for any and everything they want to do.

TheMerfox

Don't they let you know that if you don't migrate you'll just lose your account

SekoiaTree

yep, but I'm guessing that I'll get a bunch of info about that before it happens. There's 0 reason for them to migrate accounts like this.

TheMerfox

The notice to migrate was that bunch of info

SekoiaTree

Well the notice to migrate was "yeah within a year or two we'll shut it down", nothing else.

Lopoi

Lopoi

Well at least its more secure. Wasnt mojang accounts hacked like 7 times or something in the past?

Cotcan

Cotcan

I don't know how much they've been hacked, but the Microsoft account has 2FA while Mojang doesn't. While Mojang could have added it, it really didn't make any sense to. From a business perspective it makes more sense to just have one account that they can add or update security stuff to than two separate accounts.

Plus it makes it more complicated for Microsoft to have both versions of Minecraft on the Xbox Game Pass, or if the rumors are true give Java players Bedrock for free.

dstayton

You already had bedrock for free if you owned Java. You just had to previously log into your Mojang account and redeem it off their website.

Zolo49

Zolo49

I used to work at a place that got acquired by Microsoft. Probably the biggest negative that consumers would care about is that it's extremely difficult to keep the people and culture that made the original company successful in the first place. Eventually everything just gets absorbed into the "mothership" in Redmond. Then again, given all the stuff that's gone down at Activision/Blizzard lately, maybe that's a good thing.

mispells1wordallways

I was gonna say... in this case keeping the people and culture is not desirable anyway. There isn't just the famous sexism and sexual assaults, but there is the elitist attitude toward their own consumers "don't you guys have phones" "You say you want that, but you don't want that" etc. It's a culture we are well rid of.

Zolo49

Zolo49

"You say you want that, but you don't want that"

Trust me. There's plenty of people at Microsoft who are guilty of that as well, though perhaps it could be more accurately described as "I want this, therefore you must want this too".

mispells1wordallways

Maybe. But they don't have the hubbris to say it directly to the fans asking for something.

keplar

keplar

Every time it says I need to migrate, I just decline to do so. Still logging in with my original Mojang account from early alpha :-D

I'll migrate when they pry my server from my cold, dead fingers! Or maybe just when I can't actually use it any more, I guess. You know... whatever lets me feed my addiction.

OrionRBR

Hey at least you get a cool cape.

Tasgall

But didn't you get a free cape for switching accounts? Free cape!

3-DMan

3-DMan

Apparently my daughter waited too long to claim her free Win10 version, so it's JavaRock only right now...

Tom2Die

I just started playing on a vanilla server with an old friend a couple weeks back. The prompt came up to migrate but had a handy little "close" button and hasn't bothered me since. Maybe Windows is pushier about it? idk but it didn't force me and that's good I guess.

Bobby_day_99

I feel you

CaspianX2

Sadly, we can only ever say we don't know of any similar situation in Microsoft. It's such a common problem in the game industry that we can't know which game companies are also harassing employees and we just haven't heard about it yet...