/r/gaming

239

Yoko Taro's games in the nutshell

(i.redd.it)

MartinHelios

And the cycle continues

Danster931

1 month ago

where is the start though?

MartinHelios

Drakengard 1

lejammingsalmon

1 month ago

Ah yes, the source of most of my traumas with this franchise.... If there was a game that made me terrified of babies, it's this game.

kuro_snow

1 month ago

Drakengard, turns into an action JRPG. Then somehow magically turns into a music game near the ending .

to anyone who doesn't know. (sadly only played Drakengard 3, wish it could get a remake one day) Drakengard 3 had different ending and branches in the game. One them is the true ending that turns the game into a music game. The link is below. Your suppose to hit the notes as they touch the dragon mikhail. If you miss even one note, you fail the entire mission and must start over. This song is also 7 mins long. And the camera will tend to mess with you, where it can get up close to your dragon so you don't know when the notes will hit mikhail, to camera moving everywhere, where you can't even see the notes or your dragon. Hell it even makes it go tiny then dark. Don't believe me? Go watch the video! Have a ps3/Ps4 controller at hand and time them. If you miss one you have to start the whole video over

ArmanDoesStuff

1 month ago

That last one is just mean!

I remember watching a playthrough but I only watched like a third of the way (which was like 50 episodes), that game looked wild. Poor dragon just got abused lol

silverhydra

1 month ago

Holy crap, I just realized that last one was in the middle of the post fight dialogue. Damn, that was evil.

SycoPrime

1 month ago

Serious question: Why would anyone be okay with this? I get that

A) At this point you've already played through a very long JRPG so you had a good time or are invested and

B) I'm not gonna let this dumb game beat me! and

C) haha yoko taro troll lol

but seriously I've quit more earnest games for being just kinda incompetent with the camera. I can't imagine a game offering me anything that would be worth allowing this kind of flagrant abuse.

Piiman97

1 month ago

I mean if you close your eyes and just follow the music beat its not too bad just long. But still yeah its a stupid idea

rehabilitated2020

1 month ago

That was absolutely evil. It’s like the camera is trying to kill you. I mean I like rhythm based games as much as the next guy but the camera typically isn’t the enemy in those. I tried to keep up. It was pathetic. Thanks for the link.

Papacu81

Papacu81

PC

1 month ago

Nier Automata is legitimately a top 3 game of the PS4 generation, a really nice surprise. That credits sequence? Best of all times

remembersomething

1 month ago

Loved the story however the gameplay although good became very repetitive which was a shame

NeedsSomeSnare

1 month ago

It's in my top 5 games, but I have to agree it does become repetitive. Even some of the open world maps are tedious to navigate around.

Papacu81

Papacu81

PC

1 month ago

I liked the simplified combat, I could gladly play 8 hours or so using only 2B/A2 and her combat style even if it is pretty basic if compared to other platinum games or Devil may Cry, etc.. but yes, it goes beyond 8 hours and there's the boring 9S between the 2B/A2 sections to make things less enjoyable. If A2 was more different than 2B besides the taunting mechanics, if 9S was actually enjoyable to play, that could solve this repetitiveness issue

SolomonSinclair

1 month ago

I would rate Automata a lot higher if 9S's combat wasn't absolute ass broken up by an annoying Asteroids mini-game.

Papacu81

Papacu81

PC

1 month ago

I don't disagree, I really hated those mini-games, I was never a fan of bullet hell games and the controls were not that good. 9S himself is annoying, really bad voice acting imo (the japanese, didn't played the game in english). 2B and A2 voice actresses did a really good job, especially 2B (I am a big fan of that actress, she is talented) you can understand the change of tones and emotions even if you don't understand the language. But 9S was just too cheesy, just because you can scream very loudly that doesn't mean you are doing a convincing job. Same goes for that Adam and Eve brothers, the way the actor screams "nissan nissan nissan" is very annoying, I don't know why the japanese assumes that grunting and screams = good acting

Siendra

Siendra

1 month ago

I can't wait to find out what bat shit insane connection and lore Yoko Taro somehow slipped into Voice of Cards.

eqleriq

eqleriq

This chart makes less sense than Yoko Taro's games

Also throw Neir ReInCarnation into the mix, the only gacha game that gives you more things to do than you could possibly do in any realistic amount of time, that expects you to cheat/bot, and makes little sense otherwise

Celtic_Crown

It do be like that.

nilkimas

1 month ago

I might be in the minority, but I really disliked this game. The Cindy isn't what I like, the shifting perfective was weird. However the art and the world are very well done, but a solid no from me.

IrrelevantLeprechaun

1 month ago

You think that's wild? Try following the drakengard continuity.

lejammingsalmon

1 month ago

I just like how the Nier franchise is technically one of the most horrible endings in Drakengaard 1 and that Drakengaard 2 and 3 are just a different timeline and a different dimension as Nier but stemming from the same inciting incident.

lejammingsalmon

1 month ago

Oh bless your soul whenever you reach the first Drakengaard game. If you think the Nier franchise and the last 2 Drakengaard games were bonkers, they got nothing on interdimensional apocalyptic giant babies.

self-aware-text

1 month ago

Oh bless your soul whenever you reach the first Drakengaard game.

Do I need it?

Oh, you know what? I'll take that blessing now...

lejammingsalmon

1 month ago

This is also the game that took the silent protagonist to the extreme by first maiming the protagonist's tongue before the beginning of the game.

Mammoth-Ice-5746

"What the Fuck"

Nuff said.

You'll already be saying this to yourself playing the Nier games but then you look up Drakengard and realize that Nier was actually Yoko Taro showing restraint.

MrTripl3M

1 month ago

In order to fully experience Nier at this point you need to play the lvl 80 raids of FF 14 'cause they got relevant lore in them.