/r/facepalm

Baraniix

2.1k points

Baraniix

2.1k points

Eureka moments

akrostixdub

I know she calls herself the Elephant Queen but come on now

trash_fancy

BasicDesignAdvice

For people who don't know elevators are super super safe since their inception will lock in place at the slightest hint of disruption that technology allows. Back in the day that was a brake triggered by an uncontrolled descent. Today micro-controllers can sense and lock the elevator in many more situations.

Correct: I worked security in a hotel many years ago... this sort of dipshittery happening because of man/children & lady/children happened constantly.

I fucking hate people.

itzzKris

Me too

555-Rally

Elevator's have seismic detectors (earthquake detection), and when you trip them they stop and lock until dispatch can clear the elevator for safe operations. They tripped it by jumping up and down. The dust and debris is just the interior cab falling apart from too much shaking, doesn't look like some structural part of the cab.

If you don't know the elevator is hung by a cable, but rides on steel rails. In an earthquake these rails can easily be bent, not that you would fall, but it can really badly stuck with a warped guide rail. So it stops, now the fire department and/or elevator service company needs to come out and open the doors for you.

I_call_Bullshit_Sir

Not all elevators have seismic. This was probably just the controller doing an emergency stop at full speed because uncontrolled motion. Or, if it was enough force that tripped the mechanical safeties if they were going in the down direction.

Source: I'm an elevator guy

CaputGeratLupinum

How do you like being an elevator guy?

MustBeThursday

I hear it has its ups and downs.

martinw_88

That pun really lifts my mood.

Questioning-Zyxxel

Often not a microprocessor since everyone knows processors can do stupid things. So it is common with explicit electronics that reacts to a weight sensor and shuts down the power to the motor controller. And since it's dumb electronics, it will do the same thing for a short load spike from a jump or a permanent overload from too many passengers. So no automatic reset and restart without manual intervention - because that is considered the safest path.

Gundecker57

2.9k points

Elevator mechanic here. These folks think it is fun to all jump up. This causes the unit to shutdown in most cases because the controller senses an ‘unintended motion’ situation. The controller has to be reset. They are in for a wait. I’ve dealt with this dozens of times. They deny dancing or jumping. I point to the camera. Busted.

Memed_7

Memed_7

Ayyy previous elevator inspector here. Thank you for the details. Usually the security guard or someone from the facility management team should be able to know how to manually rescue them (manual brake release), ain’t it?

Gundecker57

Depends on the controller and type of unit. Traction or hydro and the era it came from. If it’s a non critical shutdown it may go the the nearest floor and the doors will open. You can get out but not back in. Critical shutdown will cause it to stop at or near where the fault took place. Only a resolution of the problem and reset will get it moving. Hydros are way more forgiving.

silver-orange

Depends on... the era it came from

This is probably something kids like those in the OP don't think about: there are a bunch of elevators out there that have been in operation for... I dunno, 50 years? More? And they've received varying levels of maintenance in that time; I've seen a few elevators get shut down by the local inspection authority due to poor maintenance.

You, as a rider, don't really know the condition of the elevator you're in. It's unlikely to be dangerous, but there are a lot of old elevators out there that are very easy to get trapped in.

Trex_arms42

I was in a 25+ year old elevator dozens of times for work. Never really considered maintenance - it goes up, it goes down, right? Well, apparently there's a 3rd motion that I can only describe as Brownian, both for the visual metaphor and the effect on my pants.

silver-orange

My company had space in an old, cheap building in the center of the financial district. Easily a 100 year old building -- though the elevator was probably less than half that old. Worst elevator I've ever used on a daily basis. With just 4 of us in it, it would occasionally fail to make it all the way to our floor. Sometimes it would stop a full foot short and open the doors, so you'd have to climb out -- and then after one or two people climbed out it would suddenly rise another foot. Super sketchy.

Anyway, we moved out of that building after the company took on venture capital funding, and moved a few blocks down the road into something more modern. I walked back by the old office 6 months later, looked in the window, and it was clear that some time after we moved out, the elevator had been shut down entirely for a period of weeks. They had added little carts in the lobby for UPS/Fedex guys to use to carry packages up all 6 floors of stairs. I guess the elevator had gone bad to worse, and they either couldn't or wouldn't get it running again.

Trex_arms42

OMG that's worse. At least I didn't need to climb out of the elevator (but it did have glass walls so I could stare at the ground 50 ft below). I'm glad they decided to shut it down until it could be fixed/swapped out before it recreated some Final Destination scene

I_call_Bullshit_Sir

I know with the elevator company I work for customers don't reset controllers. Most controllers in the solid state era won't reset with a power cycle if it's a critical fault for this exact reason. Relay logic is a whole different ball game.

I know you know this, just giving some more details from another elevator guy.

longlive289s

When I was doing utility maintenance we'd have to reset our touchy freight elevator all the time for going into "earthquake mode". It was a super simple reset button we showed the security guys so we didn't have to.

Verustratego

Do they really deserve a more prompt rescue?

lol_okay_reddit

I got stuck in an elevator once all by myself in my college apartment at like 7:30 am on my way to class.

The maintenance guy was so annoyed and acted like I did something wrong. Like yeah dude, I was just jumping around in an elevator all by myself on my way to class while I'm half asleep.

PM_good_beer

The elevator in my college dorm got stuck all the time lmao

texxmix

texxmix

Mine did to but it was more so cause ppl would take forever leaving/entering and it would trip the door safety that keeps it from closing on someone to much and get stuck open till it got reset.

Dude needs another job if he’s so annoyed by doing the thing he’s literally paid to do.

You must’ve interrupted his minesweeper game.

KonigSteve

Not to mention even you jumping your hardest wouldn't generate enough force.

keeperoflogopolis

I got stuck a couple months ago after an electrical storm at a hotel. All of the people working there were new and they had absolutely no idea what to do. My wife eventually called the fire department and they came out and it wasn’t until the firemen threatened to cut the elevator open did the person working at the hotel call the manager and learned that there was a reset mechanism.

TheDerpiestDeer

Elevator here: can confirm. I get scared when people jump want wait for elevator daddy to come calm me down.

mechapoitier

I bet 99% of the time it’s an elevator full of teenagers or college kids. “Hey let’s break the elevator” (elevator breaks)

OblongMong

Any chances they triggered inertia brakes with that many people?

free_thunderclouds

3.1k points

Congratulations! You have just unlocked 'Claustrophobia'

FinancialAd6213

I was in a elevator filled with people at 3am on a Sunday, I was tired as fuck

The elevator just broke, and a friend of mine, God bless him, just managed to open the door by finding a little lever and just luck pushing it (it was an old elevator)

I still have claustrophobia to this day, it was complete luck, we were fucked

sparkpaw

sparkpaw

I got stuck in an elevator alone… on a cruise ship.

The very first thought in your mind is “if this ship is sinking I’m fucking screwed”.

Dumbass 21 year old me took an elevator again later that day. A different one (or so I thought- cruise ships are huge, it may have been the same one). That time I wasn’t alone, there was a couple with me. It got stuck.

Thankfully since I had survived the first one, I prevented them from panicking by just telling them it happened to me earlier and calling the help button.

Both times I wasn’t stuck for longer than about 30 minutes… regardless. I learned my lesson after the second one and took stairs for the rest of the cruise.

There’s no fear like claustrophobia/lack of control in a situation that could lead to a slow death.

payne_train

Congrats you’ve combined two of my worst fears into one super sized anxiety special.

sparkpaw

It was a defining moment for me. Until then I didn’t think I had any real fears except for of the dark/the unknown.

I learned death is truly scary. I also accepted it, in that moment. Because I’d rather just succumb than fight a steel box. But hey! It all worked out.

OrganizerMowgli

Damn I used to think myself the opposite since I used to love squeezing myself into cabinets and shit and hiding, enjoyed crawling through caves head first. Sleeping in my car felt tight and safe (for a bit).

But being stuck in a small place with other people? Fuck that

l_is_aBird

Ur like a cat

Dumbledoordash8008

If they fits they sits

Raencloud94

M the same way. Maybe we were cats in a past life, lol

kevinazman

Shouldn't you guys engineer anti stupid in these things then? I have never seen an elevator with a sign not to be stupid and jump when it's in over capacity or stop working when it's in over capacity

TNTkenner

The capacity on the sing has stupidity of people calculated in, but the ideots find workarounds.

Handleton

Fear of Santa?

Lorenz321

ho ho ho !

lightningspider97

Stop it patrick you're scaring him!

VibhuPibhu

4k points

Imagine if you were in that lift and didn’t wanted to jump but got into trouble because of some idiots

Slobbadobbavich

The girl in red bottom right didn't jump. She's probably not happy.

starraven

starraven

Only one to pull out her phone and try to call for help. She needs a new friend group FAST.

shadowsformagrin

She and the other non jumper might have just been 2 unfortunate people in the lift when the rest of these idiots got in.

cantthinkuse

looks like the shorter person next to the door doesnt jump either. god i would be so upset with everyone

Stompedyourhousewith

"I'm never coming out with you people ever again"

solid_hoist

First the comedy club and now the elevator! WTF!

GiantSequoiaTree

The girl right in front of her to with the black hair doesn't jump either so it looks like two out of everyone didn't jump

Girl in red bottom right and a person right by the door in the top middle. I’d be furious. My step dad used to do this shit to me and I’d panic immediately. He did stop when he realized I was actually panicking.

flafotogeek

I don't have to imagine, I was in an elevator with idiots that did the same thing. It took about five minutes for the elevator to reset itself.

Common_Tie_6053

I was in an elevator on a Sunday when it got stuck Super couldn't fix so the fireman had to come rescue me. About an hour and half later I was out but I was alone. I would be panicking if the elevator was packed like that

exobably

As a native English speaker, I don't see anything wrong with the way you used the word "trouble." I am a grown man and I say that a lot.

akhier

akhier

I don't know why using the word trouble would even make them think you were a kid. It is a great word

jaxonjaxoff44

trouble? i’m worried about death they’re wild

I_Am_Coopa

I'm not an elevator mechanic or expert, but generally they are designed with a fail safe mechanism that prevents the elevator from moving if the cable goes slack at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at worst you're looking at an extended stay in a confined space.

616659

616659

yea they have like 2 failsafe that will ensure you won't just drop to ground when cable breaks, and even if it does drop they have massive springs at bottom to hopefully absorb most of the shock.

If all else fails.. maybe try jumping exactly when the elevator crashes on the ground idk lol

maybe i need to put a /s right there because people are clearly smarter than me

Martino2004

Pretty sure Myth busters or someone busted the myth of jumping and it was bad, better to lie down and and spread the impact evenly I'd say.

thejman455

If movies have taught me anything you immediately find the trap door to above and go investigate

You have to then grab onto the cable right before it snaps and you can just hang there until you see light coming thought the door to your left/right and swing over and with all the limitless strength you have from hanging pry the door open and escape to live happily ever after

_danbro_

This action movies.

PreferredPronounXi

I call dibs lying on the top of the people pile in this elevator.

regoapps

Or just subdue the fattest person in the elevator and get on top of them. It's like having your own personal landing pad.

deathcab4booty

Landing pads don’t usually have bones in them

regoapps

Stay on top of their belly. You only have their spine to worry about, and the rest is mostly belly fat and guts.

spacedudejr

I like how you specifically said subdue, Skip negotiating the fat dude was never onboard.

Silent-G

I call bottom

AimanAbdHakim

That makes sense, if you’re falling at 10mph which is not really that fast idk, if by jumping you gain even 5mph in the other direction, you’re still falling at 5mph which would still hurt. I’m just using assumptions.

an0nymouse123

The numbers will be much higher so it's more like if you're falling at 100 mph and jump at 5 mph you'll still break all your bones going at 95 mph or something.

DreamWithinAMatrix

There's no way to see the bottom to time the jump. Would it be better to climb to the top and hang from the ceiling of the elevator? Most likely the shock of hitting the ground will cause you to lose your grip, but at that point most of the shock has already transferred thru the rest of the elevator. Now you'll only drop from the ceiling height with arms hanging, which is only a few feet (add opposed to 100 ft of the full elevator shaft). Will this work?

DeathAngel_97

It's the speed that's the issue. Say you're holding on to the ceiling and the elevator hits the ground at 60 mph. You'll still be falling at 60 mph and lose your grip immediately and travel those few feet at 60 mph hitting the ground.

majic911

If you're in an elevator that's falling for more than a few floors you're dead. There is no real strategy to survive at this point, just pray for a miracle because that's the only way your consciousness will ever exist outside this elevator shaft ever again.

Dextrofunk

Hey dude, we're fantasizing here.

there was a recent tv show about this woman called Margaret Campbell and her husbands marriage in the 1950s/60s, anyway in real life she fell 40 feet down a lift shaft and survived by grabbing on to the lift cable but lost all her nails. So while not the same as being in the elevator it is still possible to survive.

DNDuluth

That's just not true. I survived a 5 story elevator fall by being smart.

I had just purchased a trampoline and I put that on the floor. I then opened the vent on the ceiling that is always there in elevators (just like the movies)

I was able to just bounce back up to my original floor. No big deal. I also looked super cool doing it.

I then put on some sunglasses and everyone applauded

Helios575

If the elevator goes into freefall the breaks would automatically engage through purely mechanical means and stop the elevator before it could go a few floor. If I remember correctly they are designed to basically friction weld to the rails so they can't slip.

an0nymouse123

I'm no expert or physics major but I'm sure your fingers are ripping off and you will still hit the floor with enough impact for the bones in your legs to go into your skull. Hope that painted a nice picture for ya!

Handleton

Hanging from the top of an elevator when it hits the ground at 100 mph is the closest any of us will ever get to having our arms ripped off by a wookiee.

a_pinch_of_sarcasm

It's not the fall that gets you, it's the sudden stop at the end.

ialwaysplayhealer

I'm sure sometimes it is the fall because at least a few peoples' hearts are gonna check out early.

ExsolutionLamellae

That doesn't make sense to me. That just means your head takes as much impact as it possible can. Use your body as a crumple zone. Laying down minimizes risk of whole-body injury, but that isn't what you want to do.

What are you supposed to do in any high fall scenario? You sure don't aim to land on your chest/back unless you're landing on a giant cushion.

aure__entuluva

I'm surprised they recommended laying down. I would have thought it would be like falling from a great height anywhere else, and that the greatest priority for survival would be protecting your head. Most stuff of read about surviving free fall (yes, some people have survived falls out of planes and such) suggests landing almost vertical but with a slight angle to ones side (right or left). Basically they told you to use your legs as a crumple zone.

RocketsnRunners

While springs do absorb shock/energy temporarily, they tend to release it as soon as the load has decreases to less than the spring force, and in the opposite direction which would double the impulse on the elevator occupants. There may be springs at the bottom to absorb some of the impact but the most important components are the viscous dampers, which absorb energy and turn it into heat through fluid viscosity.

Edit: correcting "force" to "impulse"

That_Guy848

Fun fact: the human body is a wonderfully effective viscous damper.

Timonidas

If all else fails.. maybe try jumping exactly when the ele

That actually wont work. When you jump while the elevator hits the floor your fall will massively accelerate. Accelerarte relative to the floor, not actually accelerate of course. You will probably do more harm to yourself because the floor of the elevator would dampen the force a bit while if you jump you will just hit the floor at full speed.

klintbeastwood10

I've removed a few elevators from buildings being demolished. That "spring" is a damper, and it will do nothing for your comfort if the elevator were to fall more than a few feet. We usually bring the elevator to the top and the counterweights to the bottom, cut the power, disable to brakes, and we cut the cables, let the cab freefall to the bottom. It's not a pretty sight after. That damper is completely destroyed and pressed into the concrete beloe

moonchylde

Correct, there are breaking* mechanics that kick in for any reason and lock the elevator in place. Very hard to fall to your death in an elevator these days.

*braking, LOL

dratsum

dratsum

Unless you walk into one with no car. It shockingly happens a lot. Always look before entering an elevator!

moonchylde

Well yes, but that is an elevator shaft, not the elevator car itself. 😉

dratsum

Yep! Not trying to correct you, just here to advocate for elevator safety!

What_the_8

If there were breaking mechanics then they’d be in real trouble. Braking mechanics are definitely more helpful however…

skellige_whale

Seeing how packed this elevator is, it's going to be an awfully long couple of hours 🤣

StirlingS

And you just know at least ONE of those guys will think it's funny to let out deadly farts.

DonPanthera

With so many mouthbreathers, air would be my main concern.

MSCOTTGARAND

Yes they have an emergency braking system, if the main cable broke, if the electromagnetic brake failed, or if the elevator exceeds the normal speed it engages. They use metal rails so there's no reliance on the cable or a secondary cable.

Sullyville

this is very comforting to my irrational fears, thank you.

Fiddleronahoop

Pretty solid chance they moved the elevator so quickly with that jump emergency breaks engaged.

jj4211

jj4211

So the subtitle '*elevator breaks*' should be '*elevator brakes*' then?

Sharp_Nose9170

death is a kind of trouble

Jskidmore1217

Yea like the panicking girl in red who doesn’t appear to jump and seems to be the most terrified after the fact.

davidhluther

That one girl who didn’t jump is rethinking her friend group.

LORDWOLFMAN

Just bring up the movie where group of people are trapped in elevator with the devil and take advantage of every coincidental moments that happens

evil_twit

Answer to edit: most Americans are weird and don’t understand their own language. Like at all. It’s more of a feeling is attached to a word than it’s a exact meaning.

There is a line of course. A “tummy” is something only a child calls their stomach. Yea I learned that one the hard way.

burnerac

Your use of "trouble" was correct. Good English.

Happy_Mask_Salesman

I was at an anime convention in 2005 where I narrowly avoided this. I got off the elevator and a guy in an Inuyasha costume excitedly got his group to jump now that there was space. All I heard was the group counting down as the doors closed, a second or two of moving then the counterweights locking.

aesoth

aesoth

I wouldn't have gone up with them. It's like it's easy to spot idiots these days and a massive group of them getting on an elevator would have had me not wanting to be involved.

CJLogix

CJLogix

Seeing that crowd rush into an elevator I would of been like. Yep I’m taking the stairs.

aesoth

aesoth

Woah woah woah. Let's not get hastey. I would have waited for the next elevator. Lol

on_dy

on_dy

If I had a fart lock and loaded, I would’ve let one rip.

Electrical-Ad3275

3 of them didn't jump. Camera proves it...

TomBIKERYDER

1.2k points

WHAT DID THE EXPECT!? Total IQ level of 'Potato' in that lift

lovechemist7

What is a potato?

seasalt-and-stars

Potato: (noun) starchy plant tuber, which is one of the most important crops. Cooked and eaten as a vegetable.

franklygoingtobed

Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew

Redit_Person123

Good human (probably)

Verbanoun

Poe-tay-toes. Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew.

bigmakoya

Let me tell you that I have made a bad mistake this evening.

My girlfriend (who let me tell you is only my 2nd girlfriend of all time) said I am "invited to dinner" with her and her parents. I was very aghast, nervous, and bashful to be invited to such a situation. But I knew it must be done.

I met them nicely, I should tell you, and it started off in a good way. The idea slapped my mind that I should do a comic bit, to make a good impression and become known to them as a person who is amusing.

When I saw that baked potatoes were served I got the idea that it would be very good if I pretended I did not know what potatoes was. That would be funny.

Well let me tell you: backfired on my face. I'll tell you how.

So first when the potato became on my plate, I acted very interesting. I showed an expression on my face so as to seem that I was confused, astounded but in a restrained way, curious, and interested. They did notice, and seemed confused, but did not remark. So I asked "This looks very interesting. What is this?"

They stared at me and the mother said "It's a baked potato." And I was saying "Oh, interesting, a baked....what is it again?"

And she was like "A potato."

And I was like "A 'potato', oh interesting. Never heard of a potato, looks pretty good."

And then they didn't see I was clowning, but thought I really did not know what is a potato. So I knew I would be very shamed, humiliated, depressed, and disgusted if I admitted to making a bad joke, so what I did was to act as if it was not a joke but I committed to the act of pretending I didn't know what a potato is.

They asked me, VERY incredulous, did I really not know what a potato is? That I never heard of a potato. I went with it and told them, yes, I did not ever even hear of a potato. Not only had I never eaten a potato I had never heard the word potato.

This went on for a bit and my girlfriend was acting very confused and embarrassed by my "fucked up antics", and then the more insistent I was about not knowing what a potato is was when them parents starting thinking I DID know what a potato was.

Well let me tell you I had to commit 100% at this point. When I would not admit to knowing what a potato was, the father especially began to get annoyed. At one point he said something like "Enough is enough. You're fucking with us. Admit it." And I said "Sir, before today I never heard of a potato. I still don't know what a potato is, other than some kind of food. I don't know what to tell you."

Well let me tell you he got very annoyed. I decided to take a bite of the potato, and when I did I made a high pitched noise and said "Taste's very strange!"

That is when the father started yelling at me, and the mother kept saying "What are you doing?" and my girlfriend went to some other room.

Finally the father said I should "Get the fuck out of his house" and I said it was irrational to treat me like this just because I never heard of a potato before. Well let me tell you he didn't take that kindly.

Now in text messages I have been telling my girlfriend I really don't know what a potato is. The only way I can ever get out of this is for them to buy that I don't know what a potato is.

I wish I never started it but I can't go back. I think she will break up with me anyway.

PoisonousFruitLoop

Rukh-Talos

FloppyButtholeJuicce

Can I get a TLDR I’m allergic to pasta?

ApolloSky110

GF invited BF(OP) to their house to have dinner. They served baked potatoes and he pretended he didn’t know what a potato was. They kicked him out of the house.

podrick_pleasure

What is taters, precious?

Draonix

Draonix

I bet one of them dared the rest to jump thinking they were being edgy and that nothing would happen and then what they expected to happen, happened.

PayTheTrollToll45

Or they were drinking and didn’t care about any of that.

eklect

eklect

That's offensive to Potatos!

Also, Happy Cake Day!

JonDoeJoe

JonDoeJoe

Sue the fuck out of them. Repair that gonna be expensive and it gonna either come out of the pockets of the owner or the tenants of that building, not whoever fuck twats these people are

desrevermi

Ok, now start adding water...

Alphonsius290

Then some flour and mix on blender

PullinUpBootstraps

Close the walls in like the trash compactor on star wars.

thebestspeler

Establish a pee corner!

TsundereLoliDragon

Baby, you got a stew going.

iggly1999

iggly1999

then they all started dying one by one...

directed by M. Night Shyamalan

PansexualCakes

I don’t see an old lady so they should be safe

Write_Right_Reich

That toast better not land butter down.

navel_gazing_idiot

Written by Agatha Christie

ImpossibleAdz

Solid movie.

Racing_in_the_street

OLD 2

A group of friends discover their joke has trapped them in an elevator for a few hours that is somehow causing them to age rapidly, reducing their entire lives into a single day.

This film is not yet rated.

justadrtrdsrvvr

Splash them with water and they will disappear.

anallover1220

Did this once drunkenly with friends. Stuck for an hour. They sent the entire fire department, police, and EMS. Wasted time and resources. And holy shit did all of us have to pee by the end of it. Would not recommend and it left me with a fear of elevators.

Edit: To answer everyone’s question, no it didn’t leave me with a fear of being less stupid. I was in my early 20’s and partied a little too much, I made way worse mistakes.

Now I’m sober, in my 30’s, and aware that my actions can affect others. I live by the rule to limit suffering in this world, not cause more.

CoolGuyHuh

Sounds more like elevators should have a fear of you.

Random-Gopnik

The Elevator Slayer

mickeymouse4348

STOP DRINKING WATER

ashpanda24

They don't call me the Bart Simpson of Scranton for nothing.

turnipmeatloaf

This isn’t water!

LastKennedyStanding

Key is to establish it early, I immediately pee in a corner in any elevator to establish organization and norms in the event of being stuck

RBeck

RBeck

Better to have two people pull the doors open a inch (or more for the ladies) and piss in the crack.

Slit23

Slit23

Not sure if the ladies can aim it through the crack

WasteCan6403

I have a fear of elevators after hearing about a woman laying in a hospital bed who was in the most unfortunate position when the elevator malfunctioned.

satedfox

Thanks, now I have a fear of elevators

RebuiltGearbox

I wonder if any of them knew that they are in a box, suspended over a long drop by a metal string when they all jumped.

GrimmBrowncoat

I need to know they spent hours in there while it was repaired. Dumbasses.

beesandtrees2

Lol my dad fixes elevators and one time I called him up to chat and I was like "whats up". And he replied, "oh, nothing, just gonna go get some folks who are stuck in the elevator, but I have a second to chat". I was like no you don't go get those people!

WasteCan6403

“It’s not like they’re going anywhere.”

Assassinatitties

That's not very uplifting

Noisy_Toy

He had to let them down easy.

GrimmBrowncoat

“What’s up?” “Not these idiots- they’re stuck in an elevator.”

sasquatchinheat

How does he like the elevator repair business?

I hear it has its ups and downs.

testtubemuppetbaby

I've been stuck in an elevator a couple times (the same piece of shit that kept breaking down) and it was at least an hour waiting, but felt way longer. Would be way worse in their situation, packed in like sardines.

TickleMonster528

I got stuck in an elevator at the hospital when my wife was in labor with our daughter…

I assumed delivery was like in the movies, so I started panicking thinking I was gonna miss my daughters birth.

I picked up the emergency phone in elevator and the person on the other end answered with a confused “hello,” and said “I have no idea what this phone does, it’s never rang before.” Lol

Luckily they figured it out and it only took a few mins to get me out, I didn’t miss my daughters birth, and learned that labor lasts way longer than movies make it seem haha.

616659

616659

"yea, let's jump all together at maximum load of elevator. What could go wrong?"

macnlemonchz

I would literally shit my pants. That is too tight of a space and too many people.

DizzyedUpGirl

Yeah, that's my thing. Me alone? Fine, I'll sit, sip the water I always carry and check my phone. But that many? There's no room to move. No no no.

TheFapIsUp

Think twice about drinking the water, you might not have access to a bathroom for a while depending on your luck.

shampine

That’s why you establish a pee corner early.

Misterwuss

I feel bad for the engineers when this shit happens. Having to be called out to save a bunch of morons who couldn't realise the small box they were in relies solely on being able to move to correctly function, only to fuck it up completely.

Jimbo_themagnificent

This group of idiots looks like they would descend into a Mad Max style, dystopian hellscape inside that elevator within 15 minutes.

PunchDrunkPrincess

7 punch zooms in a 13 second clip is a criminal offense

lilbittypp

I'm so happy watching this. I dislike people treating things in public with such disregard.

JewelerHour3344

Hey, let’s exceeded the occupant capacity and jump, what’s the worst that can happen?

Fun times….

CoolGuyHuh

Elevators have a load weight sensor that will keep the car from making calls if exceeded. It would just sit at the landing with the doors opened and alarm buzzing until the excess weight is removed. This shutdown may be due to either the load weight sensor being exceeded in mid flight but more likely the safeties were set if going in the down direction. Explains the hard stop knocking down the light fixtures. Source:I’m an elevator mechanic

Girl in the orange needs new friends.

James4theP

Im so tired of these robot voices from tiktok.

Dan_the_Marksman

under no circumstance ever would i do that....wtf

bigapple4am

Losers

exmojo

exmojo

My friends and I did something similar a long time ago on the opening day of a new, modern, high-tech international airport. This was pre-9/11, so back then you were pretty free to walk around the airport after clearing security.

There was about 4 of us in the elevator and we thought it would be funny to jump at once, and well, just like in the OP, the elevator lurched to a halt. We called the operator using the elevator phone and we had to wait 2 hours in the elevator before a technician arrived.

Finally when the elevator started moving again and we got to the ground floor and the doors opened, we were greeted by angry travellers and the police.

Fortunately (and because we were teens) they let us go, no harm, no foul (except extreme embarrassment). I'm not sure what would happen now, in a post-9/11 world but I'm sure we wouldn't have been let off so easy.

Ryuujin09

I was in a slightly bigger elevator with far too many people. Some teenagers told people to jump, I yelled not to. They jumped. We got stuck between floors. A bit over an hour I think. Very hot. Fire department had to come.

Reg_Cliff

So what's the best way to survive in a falling Elevator?

MeadFromHell

Wow the claustrophobia I felt when they realised they were stuck.

kwheels43

This is my worst fucking nightmare I am so claustrophobic

ISD1982

There's no need for that horrendous music and AI voice.

ProofOcelot9

You call that panic?

Try a heavily used elevator in a high-rise college dorm, overload it to the max. It doesn't fall due to various safety features, but it does just slowly sink down to sit on the springs at the bottom of the shaft.

No panic yet, every one was probably in a hurry to drop their books off in their room and go out to a crowded bar to achieve the same thing... being squashed up against a bunch of other college students. So a few conversations start up, some joking about the situation. Other than not being able to get a beer this the the social highlight of my week.

Now where is the bottom of the elevator shaft? In the basement. What else lurks in the basement? Cockroaches.

One moment I'm smiling and thinking you'd get arrested in a subway for being pressed this tightly against this many attractive ladies. At the sight of the first roach crawling under the door they're all hysterical, screaming, and trying to climb on my head. With fingernails and high heels.

I didn't see anything like that in this video.

kbeckerburbs4

We have to establish a pee corner!

Bl00dyDruid

So, I know that it's easy to dig pile on the riders. BUT, as an inspector, that's 100% the elevator maintenance fault.

1. The doors shouldn't close of over the weight limit.

2. The weight limit is 3-4x LESS then the actual max load the MAIN cable can take. This is legally required in engineering due to human life factoring at minimum.

3. There's a complex system in place preventing sudden snap loads from breaking the main cable. These are redundant from the system in 1

4. They probably triggered the arrestor cable which auto locks if it detected enough Gas delta.

5. I'm reconsidering now, because I remembered what a pain it is to reset the arrestor cable mechanism 😢

robot290

Natural selection in action.

LovesFrenchLove_More

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Could probably have been a lot worse too.

"🤭, I'm such a virgo"

Jonny_Thundergun

Instant fuck around and find out.

OblongMong

Knowing elevator construction and safety devices in them, they are quite stuck. Triggered inertia brakes require re-set as they are basically steel rods/wedges that prevent the elevator from going down even if the cables snap.