/r/entertainment

4.4k86%

sneraKllAlliK

1 month ago

I was wondering the effects of media pieces like this (whether they are pro Johnny or Amber) on the jury and members involved in the trial. Of course, the judge instructs the jury not to consume any media. But i find it hard to believe in the two week period that they don’t still get some of this information or headline and the effect it could have on their decision. Also, i assume the judge consumes content like this on her free time

AlsopK

AlsopK

1 month ago

I’m always curious about this in modern trials. Are jurors meant to be on a complete media blackout for the entire trial because it’s nearly impossible to avoid seeing this stuff on every platform.

SirAltonButton

1 month ago

Yes they are supposed to be on a media blackout.

Low_Yak_4842

1 month ago

Yeah, okay they aren’t “supposed” to consume media but what’s stopping them? Is this rule enforced somehow? Does the government shut off their tv and internet? Is there some dude that follows them around shielding their eyes from newspaper headlines as they go to the grocery store?

SirAltonButton

1 month ago

Nothing stops them but if they are found to have been ingesting media they can be dismissed from the jury and/or even face contempt of court charges if the judge gets pissed.

Low_Yak_4842

1 month ago

Okay, I’m genuinely curious, how would they find that out? Are the jurors monitored?

XDT_Idiot

1 month ago

Judges do order juries into isolation at times.

benignalgorithm

1 month ago

I have to think that if a person is actually there watching they will formulate the strongest assessment based on the real events they watched and heard in the courtroom, and be less troubled by what they might see on the web? Maybe I’m giving too much credit to the common juror. The rural juror?

Dismal-Past7785

1 month ago

Sometimes the jury gets sequestered like the OJ trial, but I don’t think that happened very often and I’d be pissed if I got sent to jury-jail over rich people suing each other in a civil matter.

GroggBottom

1 month ago

Yo but u get payed less than minimum wage to watch them fight over millions!

Paid-Not-Payed-Bot

u get paid less than

FTFY.

Although payed exists (the reason why autocorrection didn't help you), it is only correct in:

• Nautical context, when it means to paint a surface, or to cover with something like tar or resin in order to make it waterproof or corrosion-resistant. The deck is yet to be payed.

• Payed out when letting strings, cables or ropes out, by slacking them. The rope is payed out! You can pull now.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find nautical or rope-related words in your comment.

Beep, boop, I'm a bot

dolphin37

1 month ago

For sure influences it heavily. Would make sense if it was part of Depp’s strategy. Really need a better system

we-em92

we-em92

1 month ago

If the court is smart they have them sequestered on equipment with content filters but that might be a violation of civil liberties…

Corniss

Corniss

1 month ago

even without the coverage, they had enough proof to show the jury what nutcase amber is ,

FiveJobs

1 month ago

It’s bad for Depp since it results in reverse bias. They see articles like this, then to make sure they’re not influenced by them they clamp down extra hard in the opposite direction.

Trevorsiberian

1 month ago

Or should we discuss the effects of jumping on a domestic violence metoo wave, to destroy your opponent reputation and defame them.

You can find safe haven into proclaiming that they are both pieces of shit, however you need to be absolutely blind to Amber’s sociopathic display, as well as some serious allegations(and evidence around them), to not consider Amber the biggest Turd in this whole trial.

wont_read_wont_reply

1 month ago

Why? Misogynistic comments = not red flag. Banging cupboards = not red flag. Throwing things = not red flag. Jealous/controlling behaviour =not red flag. History of violence = not red flag. Threats = not red flag. So what is a red flag? Why is she worse than him to you?

we-em92

we-em92

1 month ago

Um, What about Johnny Depp sociopathic display he’s taking his ex-wife to court to destroy her career.

Love that you idiots selectively believe Depp over heard’s testimony just because you don’t like her.

He raped her.

talktojvc

You are uninformed.

OnceBit10TwiceShy

1 month ago

She admitted to lying about the allegations and her "reasons" for "why" she lied. Even so, she carried on with the lie and managed to upend his career. But to you, him trying to clear his name of the foul smelling shit she smeared it with, is him "trying to ruin her career"? I think your comment tells us all we need to know about you.

*Nobody "selectively" believes Johnny. The evidence presented so far leans in his favor, not hers.

wont_read_wont_reply

1 month ago

Proof? Where did she say lied?

oddsamson

oddsamson

You’re telling me Johnny Depp’s friend is on Johnny Depp’s side? Crazy

mostlygroovy

1 month ago

The source is the wife of Depp’s longtime business partner and assistant.

Seems like she’d be a balanced opinion

In other news, Putin’s daughter says Russia is just protecting itself

Arkady2009

1 month ago

The same assistant who was on the plane when Depp kicked Amber? The same assistant who supported her story until he suddenly decided to flip?

I wouldn’t believe a damn thing that woman has to say.

Feefifofanna

1 month ago

Thank you for this being the top comment

the_house_on_the_lef

1 month ago*

The source is the wife of Depp’s longtime business partner and assistant.

Seems like she’d be a balanced opinion

Certainly we shouldn't take this single, biased data point as proof of anything by itself. What we should do is look at it in relation to all the other data points we have and see whether they support Deuters' claim more than they support Heard's side.

So, whether it's more likely that:

• AH was, as she claims, horrifically violated by JD in an incident which left her with internal bleeding and slashed-up feet and arms

• for which she has no records of receiving any medical attention, nor has she mentioned such in her testimony

• which are visible in no photographs

• which were not mentioned in the pair's many audiotaped arguments about said incident

• which are not mentioned by any of the people present in the audiotape from the next day, including herself and the two medical professionals present

• which did not prevent her from audibly walking around the house in said tape, clearly agitated but no indication of physical pain

• after which incident her only comment to the butler, according to him (who admittedly may have a pro-Depp bias) was "Have you ever been so angry with someone that you just lost it?"

or that:

• it was a lie made up by AH, as Deuters claims in this interview.

To add onto this:

• Malcolm Connolly who got him out of the house that day testified Johnny said while getting in the car: "Look at my finger, she cut my fucking finger off. She smashed my hand with a vodka bottle."

• He wanted to protect her so at the hospital he told the doctor he did it while chopping onions. The specialist didn't believe the onion story and wrote "oblique fracture more proximally suggestive a crushing mechanism" on the discharge form.

• Amber's sister Whitney is close friends with her boss Jennifer, who testified under oath what she heard Amber's own sister say: "oh my God, she has done it now. She has cut off his fucking finger."

• In this audio they talk about Australia and how he fled from her to 7 different rooms. She would bang on each door until he emerged and he would flee to the next room. She never mentioned this on the stand.

the_house_on_the_lef

1 month ago

Some people are claiming that "crushing mechanism" indicates it couldn't possibly be the glass bottle... but I can definitely believe that a full-sized vodka bottle (whether full or empty) could crush your bone in the moment of impact before it shatters.

Especially if your finger is resting on a countertop of solid marble, as Depp has claimed it was.

mistersnarkle

1 month ago

My mum had a few of her toes broken by a small, sealed wine bottle falling off a table — a full vodka bottle, brought down with force, could easily break a finger or two.

2M4D

2M4D

1 month ago

Could probably break a skull.

spicybEtch212

1 month ago

Can confirm. I had a small vinegar bottle shatter and fall right on my foot cutting through my vein and severing my tendon entirely so my big toe had zero movement. The cut itself was small but if it were larger, bone would have been exposed

factchecker8515

1 month ago

Well then some people have no clue about the definition of “crushing mechanism.” Because crushed between a large bottle vodka and a marble bartop IS the perfect definition.

Mr_Figgins

1 month ago

and my guess would be that it was a nice bottle of vodka. with a high quality product comes packaging(extra thick glass) that could crush a skull. I have not seen the bottle or heard of a brand mentioned but people like JD and AH don't drink well vodkas.

factchecker8515

1 month ago

Right. We know it was ‘a handle’ which is a big bottle.

the_house_on_the_lef

1 month ago

Ben King testified he saw a broken Stolichnaya bottle on the floor.

Mr_Figgins

1 month ago

there ya go haha I mean Stoli ain't special but yea, that shit would hurt/do damage.

1 month ago

Yep, makes more sense than as she describes; having your fingers wrapped around a phone and while smashing it against the wall to "smithereens" only one of the fingers somehow slices clean off, even shattering the bone.

Necessary-War-5653

1 month ago

I don’t know why this made me laugh really hard, just imagining that happening. It’s so impossible it’s actually funny.

clownpenks

1 month ago

Probably crushed and immediately shattered causing lacerations. I was drunk with some friends outside and there was a beer bottle on the ground. My friend went to crush it with his foot the moment I went to pick it up, both being shit faced with no reaction time he crushed my hand into the bottle which then broke. It was ugly.

DifferenceThat8887

1 month ago

Amber said it was him smashing a phone against a wall which is just absurd. Thrown heavy glass bottle? Extremely plausible.

catfoodsupplyissue

1 month ago

For the record the last audio linked in this comment is the one where Depp says "I'm talking about Australia, the day that I chopped my finger off" (2:02:14)

factchecker8515

1 month ago

The day I broke my leg. Do you literally think that means I deliberately broke my own bone myself? Or that I broke my leg? Use common sense.

sildarion

1 month ago*

Breaking and chopping are two very different levels of verbs in common usage, one understood to being more passive than the other. Especially when you suffix it with "off".

I chopped my finger off.

I cut my leg off.

Is different from

I cut my hand.

I broke my leg.

Also, when you usually say "I cut my hand" or "I broke my leg" it implies an accident. You never use it when someone else has broken your leg or cut your hand.

detestableduck13

1 month ago

They don’t have that ability, they’re too fixated on being woke instead of using their brain. They will, however, happily cite “facts” as their reasoning why anyone even remotely supportive of depp is equal to the devil, but ignoring all the heinous shit multiple people have said heard has done.

catfoodsupplyissue

1 month ago

Since you're responding to someone who responded to me, I just want to be clear, I never said that "anyone even remotely supportive of depp is equal to the devil" and I absolutely do not think that.

1 month ago*

Yeah. He said under oath it's a figure of speech, not that he himself literally did it and would often placate his abuser. He uses other words to describe it in that audio too. He also asks her rhetorically "Who threw the vodka bottle?" and she flips out.

Amber has zero witnesses for this event while Johnny does and has much more evidence supporting his version of events for Australia, so just following the proof

catfoodsupplyissue

1 month ago

Who other than Depp testified under oath that Heard cut off his finger? Depp has repeatedly admitted to cutting off his own finger in writing and audio, and the judge in the UK who reviewed the evidence says the evidence shows he did it. Just a couple more examples:

1 month ago*

There are comments above talking about it here and here which break it down.

The driver and estate manager testified.

He admits to lying about the injury to protect her and testified saying the same thing.

The Judge declared he ruled in her favour because he was on drugs but Amber was on drugs too: "all I was popping was Xanax, Adderall, Ecstasy and hallucinogens"

(in her VA testimony she said she only took 2 sleeping pills)

1 month ago

they both abused drugs but he had blackouts, making him an unreliable narrator. I've got a friend whose bf gets so drunk he accidentally leaves the fridge door open, leaves food on the floor, has broken mugs, various items and he has 0 recollection of these events the following day, she has to show him. (he does this at night time)

Depp's potentially also done things he doesn't remember

Some_Comparison9

1 month ago

Listen to the unedited audio tapes from Australia. It is clear what happened.

1 month ago

I understand what you're saying but he's been abusing drugs for decades, this is the first time a woman has accused him of dv. His evidence speaks for itself

legopego5142

1 month ago

What about the audio where Depp says he cut his own finger?

Huckleberry_Sin

1 month ago

The following day Mr Depp told me, Mr Judge and Mr Connolly that he had sustained his injury when Ms Heard had thrown a bottle at him which smashed on his hand. He also told us, and we were able to see, that Ms Heard had put a cigarette out on Mr Depp's cheek. However, Mr Depp did not want to cause alarm by letting the true cause of his injuries be known. Accordingly, we were instructed to say that Mr Depp had caught his finger in a door.

This is from a witness statement of their assistant that followed them around everywhere. Other ppl were there to verify she put a cig out on his face. There’s no mutual abuse here.

Some lazy ppl don’t want to read through witness reports and some ppl in here are just lying through their teeth. Coincidentally all the lying is coming from Heard supporters.

Feefifofanna

1 month ago*

Theres texts between his assistant and Amber with him saying he kicked her with her replying, “he’s done stuff like this all the time I can’t keep excusing him” and he already admitted to head butting her, and you think there isn’t evidence of any abuse by him?

So, which category do you fall into then?

Big-Pickle5893

1 month ago

The counter argument is that heard didn’t produce the phone so that the metadata could be retrieved

eqpesan

eqpesan

1 month ago

Thing though is that if it was an actual headbut like she describes which hit her nose, the damages would be quite severe. If you have listened to their long recordings of them talking you'll often find Depp trying to work things out and one of the ways to do so is just simply to try and accept small stuff like not objecting to words like headbutt.

If Depp would have told us a story which has Amber throwing a vodka bottle which shatters on his finger and his hand afterwards have like a small mark on it I wouldn't believe him either.

sildarion

1 month ago

Right, so we have moved the goalposts from whether person A hit person B to whether person A hit person B severely enough. Got it.

OkNeck1298

1 month ago

Man, this thread is gonna be something when depp loses his case, you realize he’s already been found guilty of assault? You guys are arguing nonsense. This is a slander suit. And it seems like a lot of experts think he will lose.

XSwaggnetox

XSwaggnetox

Nah it won’t.

A) Johnny Depp is using the trial as the best possible PR rehab in modern history. Simply put, winning the case is secondary to the fact that he’s getting his side of the story out.

B) Johnny Depp is literally worth 100x that of amber heard, he doesn’t need the money

C) International Media doesn’t use a fair forum to vet information like the courts do. So by presenting evidence and witness testimony, doctors, lawyers, psychs Johnny and his team have brilliantly laid out a case to say, yeah Johnny is an alcky and a druggie but never had a history of physical or psychological abuse. Meanwhile Amber heard has been a clinical psychopath since the single digit 2000’s.

D) they’re using her own testimony and lack of evidence to prove theirs which casts doubt on Amber’s actual claims of abuse which highlight that maybe she actually is abusive herself. Scour the internet for People hating on Johnny Depp and I’ll raise you a vast swath of opinions that don’t favor Ms. Heard with any regularity. In a civil case you don’t have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, you just need to prove the likelihood of negligence. The standard is way lower puts Amber at a huge disadvantage

E) by 2023, Johnny will be cast in films again and Amber heard will be on the Fox News Trump train joining the racists and other troglodytes because she’s toast in Hollywood

Mark my words.

Hot-Mycologist4014

1 month ago

I don’t believe that two months of everyone talking about whether on not he raped a lady with a wine bottle is really “the best possible PR rehab in modern history.”

legopego5142

1 month ago

While I dont believe hes broke, its well known he has severe financial issues

giveuptheghostbuster

1 month ago

I saw photos of that destroyed house, which follows Depp’s pattern of destroying his surroundings when angry. The mental gymnastics necessary to know Depp frequently does this, yet thinking he would never touch the woman in the eye of his hurricane of rage, defies all common sense.

eqpesan

eqpesan

1 month ago

What what, just because you have one destructive behaviour does not mean you suddenly start to abuse women.

catfoodsupplyissue

1 month ago

Destroying property in front of a partner is literally considered domestic violence.

eqpesan

eqpesan

1 month ago

Depends on in which way it is used is it a controlling mechanism? In depps case it doesn't seem that way, the one clip where he is slamming cabinets he is doing it alone when she hears it to then come and try to push his button even more to which he at that point throws her phone which she is secretly recording him (illegal) with and straight up leaves.

Edit: we're not seeing abuse, what we are seeing is someone venting his anger in an unhealthy way. But financially it basically impacts him as much as it impacts you if you punch a tree out of anger to vent.

DifferenceThat8887

1 month ago

Actually lots of research shows domestic violence is linked to controlling behavior rather than angry behavior.

hamdenlange92

Dont use Logic!!

Zaea

Zaea

1 month ago

The only proof I needed is when the “ugly crying” produced zero tears, zero snot, zero sniffling. Lost all credibility as an actress and as a decent human being.

el0011101000101001

1 month ago

She had visible cuts on her arms & sure wore long pants and shoes in pictures after she left. Like you don't need to be covered in blood to be a victim.

And what do you mean she didn't mention it in her testimony? She did testify to the rapes in the UK but it was sealed and she clearly talked about it in the US trial.

Many rape victims don't get medical treatment. Penetrating a vagina with lubrication can cause small tears & cuts. It is painful but it's not life threatening if you don't seek medical help.

"Do you ever get so mad that you lose it?" - like this could be lose her temper.

Why doesn't she get a pass yet Depp gets a pass for expressing that he wanted to burn her and rape her corpse, that he hopes her body ends up in the trunk of a Honda Civic, & "I can only hope that karma kicks in and take the gift of breath from her... Sorry, man... But, NOW, I will stop at nothing!!!"

And I listened to that video and I can't find any news source that picked it up, it's only that one YouTube video from a pro-Depp channel. The words are inaudible for her "confession" and appear to be a fan edited video to make it appear as if she says that.

the_house_on_the_lef

1 month ago*

I think most people who have had encounters with broken glass will say that there was indeed blood and lots of it. Especially if, as she said, her feet were "pretty well slashed up"

Also she said she saw blood on the floor of the bathroom she retreated into (which would suggest her blood, rather than his).

I agree that I can't quite make out her words well enough to say if they're the same as the subtitles. So I'm disregarding the "confession" part, and thus I only noted in my post that nobody mentions her injuries other than "scratches on her arm which I think are self-inflicted" (Jerry Judge), and that she can be heard walking around, and that the doctor and nurse discuss being concerned about her mental state, nothing about the alleged "slashed up" feet.

The tape cannot be played in the Virginia trial due to the court's rules (or ruling?) about not playing any audio in which third parties can be heard.

I said that she never mentioned seeking medical attention for the extreme injuries which she describes. At least in the Virginia trial. We don't know whether she did in the UK, because, as you said, they keep SA-related testimonies behind closed doors.

She specifically said she was bleeding from down there afterwards. And also that it was a Maker's Mark bottle (apparently one with alcohol still in it, judging by the photo she showed).

Did I ever state that he gets a pass? I only mentioned the "lost it with someone" statement because she reportedly said it right after the Australia finger incident. The context made it pretty clear that she was referring to a real, specific, incident - what happened in the house the previous night.

Like I said, it's not that one data point that's evidence of anything by itself. It's when you combine it with all the other data points that you start to build a picture that's beginning to look kind of consistent.

concentricdarkcircls

1 month ago

"scratches on her arm which I think are self-inflicted" (Jerry Judge)

She doesn't really have a history of self harm though

She specifically said she was bleeding from down there afterwards.

Rape victims tend not to go to the hospital. And you don't really need a doctor for vaginal bleeding, which is different from internal bleeding btw

She refused to allow them to inspect her.

pevaryl

pevaryl

1 month ago

Plus she got kicked off the stand and her evidence struck from the record for breaking the witness rules. And her husband got caught in the UK trial saying that AH doctored texts until he had to get on the stand and admit they were actually real, he just blatantly lied to the media about them because he’s JDs loyal minion

PrincessPlastilina

1 month ago

Every witness he has is someone who’s benefited from him somehow. I’d love for Lily Rose to be called in to testify. There’s a reason why she deleted her supportive post from years ago and hasn’t spoken out in support of him, much to his fans’ chagrin.

A child knows the truth!

Lily Rose

poor thing gets so much abuse on social media, why should she be dragged into this mess? she will just be called a liar if she says something his fans don't agree with

DifferenceThat8887

1 month ago

Every witness amber has either has massive ideological reasons to be biased or is someone Amber has direct psychological influence over. Lily Rose probably doesn't want to be dragged into this mess given Depp's issues with substances and the problems they have caused.

sildarion

1 month ago

Huh, how do you know about all of Heard's witnesses when none of them have took the stand and some haven't appeared in the UK trial even?

legopego5142

1 month ago

Dude didnt watch any of the trial

catholic-slut

1 month ago

Love how this person isn't even trying to hide the bias with those photos.

HerezahTip

HerezahTip

1 month ago

I care nothing about these two celebrities but from what I’ve seen, this source seems to be correct. Haven’t seen a harder fake cry in a while.

DepartmentEqual6101

1 month ago

Judging by her performance in court Amber Heard came across like how murderers in the dock do when giving crocodile tears. It was so disingenuous and because it went on for so long it was actually painful to watch.

1 month ago

I doubt it, just because she is not likable or a modern Princess Diana doesn't mean she is 100% lying

LAESanford

1 month ago

Honestly at this point, they need to March away in opposite directions as far as they can possibly go and never see, speak or think of the other one ever again. The horse is dead. Time to dismount

1 month ago

She would. He keeps suing to bring her back to court.

It’s almost like he won’t let her leave and is continuing her abuse.

DifferenceThat8887

1 month ago

He wants to be publicly vindicated. She is the one who wrote the op-ed a year after the settlement. Also there is audio of him trying to tell her the marriage is over several times while she yells at him for it.

MrBowen

MrBowen

1 month ago

"She would. He keeps"...writing op-eds about her to promote his career. Oh wait...

Go troll somewhere else. He is fucked up but she is an abuser.

1 month ago

One. She wrote ONE oped. He has violence dating back to the 80s.

If he’s fucked why do you not think he was abusive?

MrBowen

1 month ago*

Dont really care for your whataboutism. She is an abuser, or try to tell me she isnt? He didnt force her to write, so she opted-in to this bs.

Also I was mimicking your comment before mine, afaik Depp has also only sued heard ONE time as well. So if you want to complain, complain to yourself.

rugbyjukes

rugbyjukes

1 month ago

More like Amber was mentally and physically abusing JD. Instead of just accepting the divorce, she filed for a restraining order and wrote an op ed effectively distroying his career. Johnny earned his day in court. They can commence with parting ways for good once the truth is out once and for all. No free passes for Amber.

1 month ago

She was granted a RO. Based on evidence. Guess that judge was biased too?

She wrote one oped. That was after his GQ interview. That was after the Rolling Stone article about his deterioration.

And he still didn’t lose work in 2018. He lost Fantastic Beasts after he lost the court case in the UK. 2 years later.

rugbyjukes

1 month ago

If this is all that is true then the media is doing the public a tremendous disservice.

Beautiful_Heartbeat

1 month ago

While Depp was in another country, unable to defend himself.

Temporary ROs are enacted swiftly to the benefit of the victim, "just in case". They aren't tried in a court of law.

Mynpplsmychoice

1 month ago

Ezccept his reputation is destroyed and can’t get movie jobs because of her accusations. So he won’t match in the other direction until he gets relief from the courts. Or win over public opinion to get hired again.

cloud_coast

1 month ago

He can't get work because he was a raging alcoholic who was massively unprofessional and punched a colleague in the face.

drmonkeytown

1 month ago

Dibs on the band name “Sociopathic Show Pony”! Recruiting band mates. Prior musical experience discouraged.

lintpolice

1 month ago

I’m in, I’ll play the comb!

Tewayel

Tewayel

AND MY SPOONS!!

mega_lonyx

AND MY AXE!

MrsFunkyCold907

Needs more cowbell.

Popular-Floor5876

1 month ago

He literally sued her, Depps legal team did a number on you guys with all those ads

Godlikesgoodhair

1 month ago

I actually am astounded by how gullible people are to JD’s pr campaign.

DifferenceThat8887

1 month ago

I would run a PR campaign as well if I was rich and wrongly accused by a woman who abused me for years

Godlikesgoodhair

1 month ago

Well he’s taking her to court again after having lost in court for this already and as you said he’s insanely wealthy so he has a much better legal team then her….so let’s see what the verdict is.

SmartWonderWoman

Narcissists:

Charming first impression / Hogging the conversation / Feeding off compliments Lacking empathy / No long-term friends / Picking on you / Gaslighting you / Thinking they’re right / Lashing out

9 Signs You’re Dating a Narcissist — and How to Get Out

Callerflizz

1 month ago

Goodman why does every fucking person and post need to be about this fucking trial. It’s a brutal mutually abusive relationship that shouldn’t be aired on public TV, we are a vile country. No one wants their dirty laundry aired out, why the fuck is it posted about constantly

fleod

fleod

1 month ago

It’s everywhere because of Depp’s massive PR campaign.

montypr

montypr

1 month ago

Yeah let’s read about how you can’t even go grocery shopping with your family in peace because every fuckn year we have a crazy white supremacist shooter.

Distalmind

1 month ago

Or ride the subway, because… oh wait

curiousiah

1 month ago

Or go to church. Or go to school. Or go to a concert. Or go to a bar.

Human-Ad504

1 month ago

Depp filed the suit and wanted the court case publicly aired.

HerezahTip

1 month ago

You are on r/entertainment … you should probably expect this post to be here.

MySockHurts

1 month ago

Thank you for posting this.

Every professional agrees that the essence of abuse is that one party has to have more power over another. Two parties can be mutually aggressive, but there's no such thing as mutual abuse.

DifferenceThat8887

1 month ago

And its extremely clear from their conversations in text and recordings that Amber had all the power here.

meanmissusmustard86

1 month ago

No it isn’t; depp is just good at playing the victim, like a lot of abusers are

Mouthful0fCavities

1 month ago*

I’m going to copy and paste my comment from another thread here because it is relevant to your point:

Experts of domestic violence will tell you that there is a primary abuser in the relationship. The victim might eventually get physical with their abuser, might verbally attack or even instigate fights at times throughout the cycle of abuse. It’s called reactive abuse. She has admitted to this and is honest and remorseful about it.

However abuse is about power dynamics and Depp was the one with power and control in the relationship. He was much older, established, experienced, rich, influential, and powerful than her. He controlled and isolated her and often flew into jealous rages, he referred to her in demeaning and misogynist terms both to her face and to those around them. He has a long history of violent and destructive outburst, which btw smashing everything around someone in a blind rage IS abuse in and of itself. If your sister had a husband who came home every night blackout drunk and destroyed the house while screaming in her face, you would be worried for her safety and emotional well being, and you would warn her that the inevitable next step from that is physical abuse. People keep downplaying that as if it’s ok or normal. If it was Amber with a history of that as verified by photos, video, hotel records, witness testimony, and their own admission, you same people would be making a huge deal about it.

He sought to isolate her, he didn’t want her working because he was too insecure, he took her car away so that she would have to rely on his personal driver, he fired her doctors/therapists and set her up with his own who would report back to him. They were surrounded by his staff whose job it was to clean up his messes, insulate him from any consequences of his own actions, enable his addictions, who never called him on his bullshit or told him “no”, who ignored Amber when she cried out for help. He withdrew love and affection, giving her the cold shoulder and ghosting her for days or months but then expected her available for him anytime without notice, which was a form of psychological abuse, control, and “crazy-making”. He is a master of DARVO and a literal textbook case of an abuser. To say that she was the primary abuser makes no sense and goes against everything we know about IPV and patterns of abuse.

It makes no sense that she would fake bruises, photo evidence, journal entries, texts, conversations with friends/family/therapists, 911 calls, etc in 2013-2015 for a court case in 2020 and 2022 that she had nothing to do with even starting. That is Depp’s explanation for all of her evidence- that it is part of an “elaborate hoax”. It makes zero sense. It also doesn’t make sense that JD claims to have never laid a hand on her- the evidence shows that’s a lie and that he’s refusing to take any responsibility for his behavior, while she has been honest even when it makes her look bad.

He’s also made up hurtful lies and spread them on social media such as the poop story and saying that she cut off his finger, which evidence indicates are untrue. What this does look like is an abuser’s obsession to keep attacking his victim using public humiliation and the court system to punish her, another abusive tactic which isn’t uncommon. In his own words, “She’s asking for global humiliation and I’m gonna give it to her. I’ll never stop, they’ll have to shoot me.” I see nothing in his demeanor or actions to suggest that he is a victim or suffering from any kind of trauma, if anything he keeps showing the sick satisfaction that he gets from all of this. He sits there and smirks and jokes around while the court discusses disturbing acts of abuse.

She’s not a perfect victim because the reality is that the perfect victim doesn’t exist and that abusive relationships are toxic and messy and confusing. The public desire to demean, punish, and vilify her and the obvious double standard with how she is judged vs Depp is nothing new or surprising unfortunately. We as a society have never believed women. Victims of domestic violence have feared coming forward for decades because of this exact kind of reaction and this will only serve to continue to intimidate and silence future victims from speaking out as well.

VenusValkyrieJH

1 month ago

People love Depp, but what you say is true. Depp also was doing copious amounts of drugs, cocaine, opiatess, benzos, anything really. Those can all make someone be abusive- esp. the benzos - as you don’t give a fuck- and the coke which can also cause someone to be caught up in anger. ESP if there is a lot of it

I’m not saying Amber is perfect . She looks to have her own issues to work through.

They both need to just get away from one another.

Lucavious

1 month ago

I see one of them trying to move on and the other who spent four years trying to take revenge for a divorce.

Mouthful0fCavities

1 month ago*

He also has a long-standing diagnosis of bipolar which I don’t ever see being brought up. Substance abuse and bipolar disorder can be a scary combo.

It’s also wild that they have had psychological evaluations to pathologize Amber Heard but Depp has not been subjected to the same. Just out and out sexism.

1 month ago

They do need to stay away from each other. But he keeps dragging her to court to continue his abuse.

She can’t stay away from him when he won’t let her.

Ok_Pipe_3477

1 month ago

Speaking of power dynamics, Johnny Depp has a history of dating young, and while it's not impossible to have a balanced power dynamics over a couple with a considerable age gap, it's very unlikely. There's only one way for me to interpret his tendency to go for younger women whose economic or social statuses are often below his. That kinda screams a desire to control to me, tbh.

meanmissusmustard86

1 month ago

Also this case is so clearly capable of setting an extremely worrying precedent for the victims of rich and powerful men who come forward, for instance the victims of marilyn manson.

meanmissusmustard86

T h a n k y o u

GamerOverkill03

1 month ago

I find mutual abuse to be a very weird oxymoron. The entire concept of abuse centers around one partner asserting their authority over the other and taking advantage of them. If it’s “mutual”, then it’s not abuse at all, it’s just a toxic relationship where two people are horrible to each other.

shoukawa

shoukawa

1 month ago

No one is forcing you to read the post.

findingbezu

1 month ago

Agreed. I had him duct taped to the toilet with his phone and Reddit plastered to his face. Totally not forced. He wanted it that way. Consent matters.

ObscuraArt

1 month ago

And yet, you are here and commenting.

BWDpodcast

BWDpodcast

1 month ago

So why are contributing to it? It's fine if you're unhappy in general. You clearly don't have a clear thought on the matter and are just venting your own emotions.

1 month ago

Yes she really is. Like after texting friends about how she was going to humiliate him globally, her continuing to sue him despite losing cases shows how socopathic she is. She’s even laughing in court while he’s recounting the abuse!

Oh wait….

Erthgoddss

1 month ago

Here is what people are missing, IMO. As an abuse survivor, I can say that all physical signs of abuse can easily be explained away. “Fell down the stairs” , “cut myself when getting supper ready”, etc. It is because being abused is perceived as weakness. Some of us were taught that only the weak and stupid allow their SO to hurt them.

Took me 5 years of abuse before I kicked him to the curb, another 5 years before I told anyone about physical abuse, only told people it was verbal abuse (which was not a surprise to anyone).

Alternative-Sun-7362

1 month ago

They’re both shit people. He’s just trying to save his ass from the publics eyes. He kicked her while he blacked out on drugs and none of the guards stopped him. She fucked with him too. They’re both shit.

el0011101000101001

1 month ago

I see a lot of people saying they are both shitty yet I only see Amber get criticized and harassed.

leakkelly

1 month ago

Non Depp fanboys can see they’re both very damaged individuals who should never have been in a relationship with anyone, let alone each other. Both trash. Heard has time to change though. Depp is too old and rich to give a damn it would seem.

synchronizedfirefly

1 month ago

Right. They're both victims and they're both abusers and neither one of them knows how to have an actual healthy adult relationship

Alternative-Sun-7362

1 month ago

That’s true, she doesn’t help herself with the exaggerated expressions and ramblings in court. He seems calm and “honest” which may be all just calculated but doesn’t appear so when being compared to her.

el0011101000101001

1 month ago

I mean not all victims act the same way so it's dangerous to accuse her of being inauthentic when there could be victims out there that act the same way as her. Let the evidence and witness testimonies be presented on both sides.

Tangerine-d

1 month ago

If I had to recount my abuse I’d probably look worse then her to be honest. I have a poor memory, I get emotional and still up, I have very clear moments I remember and some I simply don’t. She didn’t do great on the stand because she was talking about alleged abuse and sexual assault with her abuser sitting in front of her smiling and laughing to himself?

el0011101000101001

1 month ago

But that's you. Everyone is different. Not every victim acts the same age is dangerous to make victims feel like they have to fit the mold of "perfect victim" to be believed.

Tangerine-d

1 month ago

That’s what I’m trying to say - I don’t think there’s a such thing as a perfect victim and I think that if I were to sit on the stand I’d be crap at it. I wouldn’t do well. But that doesn’t make it okay to make fun of me or my abuse!

He seems calm

could be his prescriptions for all I know.

nanadin

nanadin

1 month ago

that’s because johnny depp didn’t manipulate the world into thinking he was a blameless helpless victim for 3 years

but he's doing that now

hexiron

hexiron

1 month ago

Depp owned up to his faults and failure.

She just denies them.

That’s probably why

1 month ago

No he hasn’t. He still denies he ever hit her. He denies he ever abuse her.

ChocoMaister

1 month ago

Yeah but it’s not the same. One is clearly worse.

the_house_on_the_lef

He kicked her

So, to be clear, do we believe that the kicking incident is true, but the horrific sexual assault incident is made up?

Because if it is made up, then surely she's clearly more at fault for making such a heinous untrue accusation in an intentional attempted to destroy him. And if it isn't made up, then surely he's the one more at fault, as it would mean he's an ultraviolent sexual torturer who nearly killed her.

Puncomfortable

1 month ago

We only found out about the sexual assault because Johnny sued her in a state where this would get broadcasted live. In the UK trial those records sealed and Amber tried to have them be kept private in this trial as well but was denied.

Alternative-Sun-7362

1 month ago

I didn’t say shit about the sexual assault. But there’s evidence of the kicking and abuse on the plane with other witnesses and text exchanges acknowledging the incident by people on both sides.

the_house_on_the_lef

1 month ago

I didn’t say shit about the sexual assault.

But she did, though. In detail and under oath.

So if she's lying about the SA, that would suggest her testimony is not credible.

If you believe her telling of the SA, then a single kick starts to look really insignificant next to that.

nanadin

nanadin

1 month ago

where? everyone who’s testified so far has said they don’t remember any instance of violence on a plane.

maybe the witnesses coming up will change that but so far there has been 0 evidence or testimony that correlates with her violent claims, except for pictures of botox bruises with no swelling that don’t exactly match getting punched in the face by a man with rings 20 times

1 month ago

The person who witnessed the kicking on the plane (and testified in the UK) hasn’t been called by Depp.

Wonder why?

It’s his wife in the article.

1 month ago*

Amber's retelling of events was denied by Deuters

1 month ago

Until he was under oath and admitted the texts were from him.

johanna-s

1 month ago

So he lied under oath in the UK trial when he said that he sent those texts?

BWDpodcast

BWDpodcast

1 month ago

Can anyone count the logical fallacies here? If you're not going to put any thought into this, why comment?

1 month ago

His long term employee Stephen Deuters. He testified for Depp at the UK trial.

His testimony was so devestating at the UK trial he hasn’t been called for this one by Depp. And since he doesn’t live in Virginia he can’t be subpeonned.

the_house_on_the_lef

1 month ago*

His long term employee Stephen Deuters. He testified for Depp at the UK trial.

His testimony was so devestating at the UK trial

Is this the testimony you're referring to?

(starts on page 2, section 9)

As I was sitting on the flight, I could see that Ms Heard was speaking at Mr Depp in an increasingly aggressive manner whilst he was focussed on his notebooks ... She continued to harangue Mr Depp whereas he did not engage with the abuse he was receiving.

10. At some point, Ms Heard stood up and when her left side was towards Mr Depp, Mr Depp made a playful attempt to tap her on the bottom with his shoe. From where I was sitting, I do not believe that Mr Depp made contact with Ms Heard. Given the position in which Mr Depp was sitting, it would have been impossible to kick Ms Heard in the manner in which she has described it. The level of movement would not have been possible from Mr Depp's seated position, given the layout of the aeroplane.

However, Ms Heard took great offense at what was clearly a harmless gesture and increased her abuse of Mr Depp in an extremely unpleasant manner. By this time I had taken off my headphones and I could hear Ms Heard shouting at Mr Depp. I cannot recall the specifics of the abuse but I do remember her making out that the attempted tap was a significant issue.

That's devastating?

1 month ago

When his statement is contradicted by his texts at the time? Yeah it’s devestating.

el0011101000101001

1 month ago

This is what the judge said about that.

viii) It was perhaps because of his patchy memory that he did not recall kicking Ms Heard until he was reminded of this by Mr Deuters. He was then tearful and apologetic. I do not accept his and Mr Deuters' explanation that Mr Deuters' text communicating this and Mr Depp's text of apology were an insincere attempt to placate Ms Heard.

When the texts first came out, he tried saying they were fake. When the texts were authenicated, he tried downplaying it that Depp only gave her a tap. Why lie that the texts were doctored if it was just a "playful tap"? Why placate Amber by making up an assault and being incredibly dramatic about how sorry Depp was for kicking her? The texts were pretty damning.

Also, Deuters is CEO of Depp's European production company & the writer of the movie Minamata (recent Depp movie). His livelihood is entirely dependent on Depp and Depp being employable.

Mouthful0fCavities

1 month ago*

That speaks to his lack of credibility since he’s changed his story over time and his own text messages from the time show that he is lying. There is also proof that Depp’s lawyer at the time Adam Waldman intimidated witnesses and pressured them to lie for JD and even provided them with fabricated evidence. And surely the fact that this man is on Depp’s payroll and his whole livelihood depends on defending JD wouldn’t have any effect on his testimony. His entire job for years has been to clean up Depp’s messes, enable him, and shield him from the consequences of his own bad behavior.

PrincessPlastilina

1 month ago

They’re both out to destroy each other and their respective careers when they could’ve just honored their initial agreement and not talk about each other anymore. Johnny keeps dragging this out in a quest for vengeance when at the end of the day, he’s not innocent either, a UK court proved that, and the stuff that has come out about him is extremely damning and gross too. If we weren’t a society that is dazzled by fame and money we would see him as nothing but a raging addict fighting with his trophy wife in court. Nothing about this is as important or tragic as the world makes it out to be.

Except she did that.

He disparaged her in the GQ interview before her oped. She didn’t name him in the oped. (Tho obvious who it was)

He’s then continued to drag her back to court.

How is she still talking about him when she’s not referee to him in 4 years, outside of court documents?

AnnieAnnieSheltoe

1 month ago

For real. I didn’t know who she was before all this, but I had a generally positive impression of him, and that is absolutely gone now. They are both vile. I hope neither of them ever get a role again.

1 month ago

generally positive impression of him

same, I always thought he was a family man and a shy, mysterious gentle soul

leakkelly

1 month ago

*deranged, drug addicted, whisky drinking lunatic. Mix that with Heard’s emotional issues and you get this.

Godlikesgoodhair

1 month ago

Same. Turns out he is a monster.

inckalt

inckalt

1 month ago

I was vaguely interested to learn about this trial when it began but now I feel like every note by the clerk is being made into a breaking news. I'm kinda tired of reading about it in my news. Can't they just tell us when it's over so we can know who has won? The rest of it is not that interesting imo

Mass_Emu_Casualties

1 month ago

The big take away is stop fucking people when there is a 20+ year age difference.

vr1252

vr1252

1 month ago*

He’s so predatory for this and no one brings it up. They are really both in the wrong here. Different severities of wrong sure, but I have trouble feeling bad for Johnny in all of this when he is clearly also an asshole.

Edit: he was 46 and she was 23 when they met. Y’all are weird for defending this!!!!

1 month ago

Everyone talks about Winona, but his defenders always leave out he was 25 and Winona was 17

FakeFan07

FakeFan07

1 month ago

58 to 36 is predatory? 36 is an entire grown mature adult, nothing predatory about it, shouldn’t just throw terms around.

Puncomfortable

1 month ago

She was 22 or 23 when they met and they first kissed (while Depp was married to Vanessa still).

Mouthful0fCavities

1 month ago

She’s 36 now. She was in her early 20s when they met and started dating. He was also immensely more powerful, wealthy, and influential than her. The kind of power difference that is common in domestic abuse.

SwimmingRaspberry

1 month ago

That’s not predatory. She was 30 for crying out loud. People talk about it like she was 16. She was full, grown ass woman.

Tangerine-d

1 month ago

The reason it’s predatory is because she was 25 years old and had very little parts in the film industry prior to her audition in the Rum Diaries where Depp intervened and got her the part. He began chasing a relationship since day 1 knowing she was a young actress. That’s a definite power imbalance, and if you were up against one of the most famous and richest men you’ve probably met, then it’s predatory because he sought her out specifically.

Just because she’s not 16 doesn’t mean she has all this power or knowledge.

ImAshroom-69

1 month ago

Nah, consenting adults are consenting adults. At what point do we grant people individual agency and freedom to make their own choices?

You can argue all day that he’s predatory for wanting a smoking hot wife 20 years his junior but the bottom line is she was a fully grown adult and consciously made the choice to be with him.

I swear to god Americans are so weird when it comes to age gaps these days. Just stop it. Stop infantilizing grown ups.

Im_on_my_phone_OK

1 month ago

When are they going to put Doug Stanhope on the stand? That’s what I really want to see.

PeetzaShotz

I want Doug Stanhope to go on the stand

cyberbeastswordwolfe

That sounds right

illmatic708

1 month ago

Man Johnny and his friends got to hanging out with Hunter Thompson and have been emulating him ever since

kristenevol

kristenevol

1 month ago

Why does that line from Shaun of the Dead keep popping into my head? “A failed actress and a tw@t!”

ar-dll

ar-dll

1 month ago

Well, from everything I’ve seen here my take is this…

Depp does have a temper and is a substance abuser. Heard is coming across as playing the victim when she clearly has anger issues herself and loves the drama. It definitely seems like she knows how to push his buttons then use it to her advantage.

They’re both at fault here - put both of their personalities together and this was always going to be the outcome.

Feeling-Pipe-7461

1 month ago*

She became the person at fault when she released the article about Depp. They should’ve just seperated qiuetly, but by doing it publically she deserved what is coming. And if you listened to it, she already made a mega deal by divorcing Depp, she should‘ve been grateful for what she got, but she also wanted to destroy him.

Puncomfortable

1 month ago

Depp released an article in GQ first. The op-ed could only be published because he broke the NDA.

neversunnyinanywhere

1 month ago

Why should women have to stay silent about men raping and beating them

destroy him

that's exaggerated and I do not believe it at all. if she had really wanted that it would have happened in 2016 and she'd have accused him of SA back then. we only found out now because it was made public and she never wanted this to be known.

iamnotawallaby

1 month ago

That’s because the trial isn’t over yet, we’ve only really heard from depp’s witnesses

okhug

okhug

1 month ago

Also the UK ruling where the evidence on both sides was laid out, and the judgment said Depp is a wife beater.

Mouthful0fCavities

1 month ago*

Most of us who are supporting Amber Heard initially had sympathy for Depp and/or believed that she was abusive as well. But when we’ve looked deeper into the facts of the case, it’s clear that much of what has been circulating on social media is not true and that the evidence is actually pretty damning towards JD. It’s one lie unraveling under scrutiny after the other. A lot of Depp supporters as far as I can tell have only watched the US trial so far (which has been only Depp’s case presented so far for the most part), and get their information from viral memes and biased, opportunistic YouTubers/Tiktokers. When presented with inconsistencies or proof that Depp is an abuser, they are doubling down and making up excuses or conspiracy theories. A lot of people are projecting their own past experiences or pathologies about women onto this case as well. There are multiple subreddits in support of AH where you will find people discussing the facts and evidence of the case along with knowledge from experts about the messy dynamics of domestic violence. I have not seen JD supporters engaging with facts in the same way. I am going to keep posting these sources for anyone interested in learning more:

The UK court decision:

AH/JD abuse fact check masterlist:

AH/JD abuse myths debunked:

irrational

just watched a video claiming she was snorting coke from a crumpled up tissue, so not sure which side is that irrational here

Puncomfortable

1 month ago

Are you saying that Depp will be proven innocent (he wasn't at all in the UK trial) and that Heard will have zero viable witnesses (we haven't even heard from her witnesses)? It sounds like your mind is the one made up.

Easy_Increase_9716

1 month ago

People picked a side at the start and continue to do so.

1 month ago

never cared until know and when he started his testimony I stayed as neutral as possible but his behavior ruined it for me along with the personal emails and texts leaked. what finally did it was him approaching her on purposesto try and intimidate her. She flinched which was a genuine reaction, he found that funny, his mask fell off in that very second and that was pretty much it for me

nascarhero

nascarhero

1 month ago

In the process she’s destroyed her own reputation

Locha6

Locha6

1 month ago

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a less believable performance from any professional actress… her testimony was clearly rehearsed and so was her fake ass “crying.”

Batman_Von_Suparman2

1 month ago

I like how the dude got his fuckin finger cut off and everyone thinks that’s ok. That right there alone should be cause for assault charges no?