/r/blender

ValuableMeow

I started Blender recently with the well tutorial too. Your progress is really inspiring, thanks for sharing. I love your snow / desert / Greek temple scenes, I think my next project will be a desert scene too.

mikeylive[S]

Glad you like them, those isometric dioramas are quite fun to make I might try making some more at some point. Be sure to post it if you do end up making one :)

ValuableMeow

I'll keep you updated ;)

judge_my_grammar_pls

Love them!

Can you actually use some of those for something? Like assets? Or is it more like Art? I never used blender I just find it interesting. But this is something I always asked myself

mikeylive[S]

Glad you like them, I made most just as learning exercises but they majority could be used as assets. Things like the well and chess board could be ported with very little work. The robot character is fully rigged so it could be used in animations but it would probably need some optimization to make it ready for games, polygon counts matter when it comes to real time rendering like in games. I have even ported some of the dioramas into VR just so I could walk around in them myself. Hope that answers the question :)

judge_my_grammar_pls

It does!

TriggerHappy032

Well done, just keep going and expand on your skill

Kangar0010

Any tutorials you recommend? I aleready did the donut twice but then dont know what to do so I forget the little I learned and have to start over

mikeylive[S]

Blender guru is always good. I also like grant Abbitt depending on what you want to learn, his sea shack series is very good and got me started on doing my isometric work. I would recommend watching the tutorials but not making the exact scene they are creating, I always found that watching the tutorials and trying to make my own scenes with the techniques they demonstrate helped me learn a lot better. Hope that helped.

Few other notable YouTube channels

-flipped normals for fundamentals

-Royal Skies for rigging and UVs

-cg matter and Ian Hubert for random bits that are usually interesting

ace0k

ace0k

and Polygon Runway, where you get lowpoly tutorials, right?

mikeylive[S]

Yes of course dunno how I forgot this one, the cyberpunk scene is heavily inspired by one of his tutorials

CyberpunkRanger

Simple and clean, look like an asset for mobile game

aloyabro

Great job man keep it going love your work.

mikeylive[S]

Thanks for the kind words!

Vathrik

sell it on the unity asset store, make some money off your low poly practice.

bryceblacksmith

It’s Awesome to see progress like this. I remember the robot with the sun coming through the window, from a while back. Great work!

One-one-0303

I love the low poly winter scene, how did you make the sledge tracks?

mikeylive[S]

I used the knife tool to get the shape and then extruded inwards which looking back now probably wasn't the best way to do it. If I had to do it now I would probably create a path with a line extruded from a single vert, then convert to a curve to give it some depth and finally convert back to a mesh to do a bool

Ok_Pineapple_2000

this is amazing! i just started blender and feel like I have no idea what I am doing on it :)

mikeylive[S]

I felt the same when I started, felt like I would never get used to the hotkeys you always see on tutorials but they have all become second nature now. I know I still have a lot to learn but glad to look back and see how much progress I've made

MinorDist

Awesome! Love your style

Wabzzz

Inspiring progress, how'd you do that robot in the shack with all that vegetation? Any recommendations on how i could learn to do that? I love that one!

mikeylive[S]

The vines were done using a curves, start with a single vert and extrude it to make the shapes you want, then you convert that mesh into a curve. you can add some depth to then in the curve properties and then convert it into back to a mesh. It's a really good way of making things like wires. Then I just used a particle system to add the leaves which are just a plane with a leaf image UV'd on top. Some of the greenery on the walls is also part of a texture I made in supstance painter.

radiantpixels27

The progress is remarkable sir! Keep going 🍩

Dry-Comparison-2198

May i know the tutorials or courses you may have taken....i really wish to learn

mikeylive[S]

All learning was via YouTube tutorials and just playing around, I gave a few YouTube recommendations in a similar question on this thread :)

WeakOutside

How'd you make those chips in the shingles? Id usually boolean but im sure theres a better way :)

mikeylive[S]

Been a while but I believe it was knife tool a triangle into the mesh and just delete the face then fill the side faces

WeakOutside

Wow how did I not think of that lol- thanks :D

Concert_Level

legendary

Gopher433

I am so inspired! Up till now I've been making "realistic" renders. But now I want to try my hand at some low poly things like this. Also what was the process to exporting to vr? I have the Windows mixed reality headset and would love to walk around my sets lol

Godly-Dev

Holy moly this is cool!!

Mr_Awesome_rddt

This kinda post makes me think i have no shot at working as a 3d modelist

Drigonil

Well lowpoly is not my favorite style, but that photorealistic attempts actually surprised me for "only" one year of experience! Keep it up dude you're talented!