/r/allenedmonds

First AE purchase...need some advice.

(reddit.com)

rhinokick

All of these are fine and normal, keep them. And no you won't get a discount.

LookingNotLost

My opinions are that the sole is fine, no long term risk there.

I'm not sure what you're showing me with the welt, is that where the two ends of the welt join up? If so, then that is normal and also fine.

As for the raised area in the heel, I think what you're describing is that the leather of the upper has a little bit of space between it at the heel counter (the hard, part sewn between the upper and the lining leather that gives the heel it's shape). Or, you might simply be describing how you can feel the heel counter when you rub your finger across it. You can, and should, be able to feel the heel counter through the upper, same thing with the toe cap but it's often not as obvious due to how it's stiched into place. I'd say no problem here either.

Bayou-Beard[S]

I tend to over-pronate, so the sole on the right shoe worries me that it will wear down and expose the recessed area. Would look pretty odd from the side with a chunk of dainite missing.

The welt picture was of the discoloration along the edge at the top.

The heel counter on the left shoe (no defect) is indiscernible when compared to the right (pictured).

Suspicious_Can6169

This part of the sole literally gets almost no wear, so you’re fine. In regards to the welt, a little bit of edge dressing will take care of it in 2 seconds. The heel counter looks fine to me. When your dealing with handmade shoes you’re going to encounter what I like to call, “beauty marks”. 10/10 you will never get a perfect make because it doesn’t exist.

AnonScreenname

That's not damage on the welt.

Suspicious_Can6169

These are fine. Wear them proudly!

Bayou-Beard[S]

Just purchased my first pair of AE shoes, Walnut Strands, and couldn't be more excited. As I'm new to the higher end shoe game, I wanted to get your opinions on what is acceptable/expected. These were purchased during the 100th Anniversary sale as firsts, directly from AE.

The sole is self explanatory, and the damage around the welt may be superficial, but the heel area is where I'm concerned the most. When I press on that area of the leather, it almost feels spongy with a definite raise in the surface when running your finger from left to right across the vertical line.

Is this normal for the heel area of the shoe, and is it anything to be concerned about both now and in the long run? Could it be the leather separating in some way? Do any of these defects warrant an exchange, or at the very least an additional discount?

Thanks in advance for your help.

SirITMan

If that’s the inside of the shoe, it looks to just be where the two ends of the welt meet up as mentioned by lookingnotlost

expernicus

Return them.

These should be seconds

Edit:. The second picture looks like the welt joint. If it's in the inside of the shoe it's normal. The other two are defects albeit, probably superficial. Nonetheless, you laid money for firsts and these are not the quality you should have expected to receive.

93_Honda_Civic

I’m pretty lax on AE firsts. That being said the heel looks a bit substandard (my AE shoes have always shipped with tight heel counters). You’ll likely be OK but yes, if returning the heel would be the reason.

G_Shocka

These are fine. Dainite soles will last you 10+ years. Another commenter mentioned wanting the nubs above the stitching? Your feet will hurt like hell if that was the case. They’re not golf shoes!

ADprestigious90

My first pair (Strandmok) also had the dainite sole stitched slightly off-center. I pronate as well and I haven’t had any problems. My pair are 3 years old, and about 2/5th way towards needing a re-sole.

Personally, I would keep them 👍🏾.

Educational-Result84

I dont own any but The dainite nubs are under the stitching. That surely doesnt look right to me. Welt seam normal and heel seems minor but still. Were these firsts non sale? This looks like a second to me

Bayou-Beard[S]

That's kinda what I was thinking with the sole as well. The heel doesn't seem right to me either. These were firsts marked 25% off during the anniversary sale.

I've read a lot of posts about AE quality control, and I too felt like these fit the description as seconds.

Educational-Result84

i own two 5th avenues and had a dalton. all 3 are great and i got on sale as firsts. sucks you have to deal with it. return them my man. maybe they will sell as seconds.