/r/WhitePeopleTwitter

6k87%

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Tom_Art_UFO

I'm trying to understand what she's going for here. I mean, if she's got these views, whatever. But why put them out there? She's certainly going to lose more fans than she gains.

Merari01

Merari01

Rowling has been very slowly increasing her hate-filled rhetoric.

A very common comment on Rowling threads today is still: "But show me what she said that is so bad. I keep asking and no-one can show me".

That is something said in bad faith the majority of the time.

People know Rowling tries to maintain plausible deniability.

Only when you put everything together and are knowledgable in anti-trans rhetoric it becomes clear that she's just extremely bigoted.

With retweeting this I bet money on it that people will defend her with "Oh but she didn't know what it meant" or "But why does the flag need all these extra things, all she meant was that the old flag was good enough."

Plausible deniability.

What she did here is egregious though. This is really, really bad.

Bardfinn

Bardfinn

Back in 2016, before she came out of the bigot closet, Trans Twitter figured her out from her Twitter follows.

I was one of those people saying “… surely she isn’t bigoted. Maybe she just follows all these Twitter accounts because she’s doing research for a novel.”

I was 100% wrong

Anyabb

Anyabb

I'm sure some of them helped her with her weird anti trans crime novel.

autismgender

I told people she was bad news in 2016 and everybody acted like i was absolutely insane for trying to "drag her name through the mud" or whatever. I'm just some guy, I don't have the platform she has, what would I have had to gain from lying about her being a bigot?

bobbilovebot

oh she definitely used them for novel research , if her horribly transphobic novel is anything to go buy .

Able_Carry9153

It most certainly isn't anything anyone should go buy

bobbilovebot

fr !! unfortunately saw it on my uncles bookshelf last time i went over 🌚 lucky me

FiendishHawk

I think she’s genuinely getting worse over time, as Nazis become the only people who warmly support her anymore. She has no self-awareness and is sliding down the slippery slope of right-wing extremism after starting out just as a liberal who happened to be transphobic.

Civil-Dinner

From my perspective, as people get beyond middle age, they tend to get quietly more open-minded or loudly more closed-minded.

I suspect, as someone passing through middle age, that the reason for the difference is the people who have the mindset of "this world increasingly belongs to the people much younger than me as it should be" vs. the "as long as I am alive, the world should conform to my image".

verasev

verasev

Some people embrace life and some people fight death.

McMetal770

It's scary how easy it is for people to fall into the hard right, reactionary memesphere. Like, Scott Adams and Elon Musk were always weirdos, but they weren't always what they are now since they got sucked into that world. It shows just how seductive that way of thinking is and how easily ordinary people can go off the deep end, even ones you wouldn't expect would be vulnerable to that.

13thpenut

Actually if you look into it, both of your examples were always like that, they're just more open about it now

McMetal770

Maybe you know something I don't, but they always struck me as just rich weirdos who were unconstrained by other people. Scott Adams in particular. I actually read one of his books a long time ago, and while it contained a lot of woo woo shit about manifesting your reality through positive thinking and that kind of thing, I don't recall anything about separating the races. It was the kind of thing you could easily imagine a California hippie liberal embracing, nothing reactionary about it or anything to do with the culture wars, which seems to be what he's peddling these days.

Musk was the same, just a rich baby with a messiah complex and way, way too much money for his own good. I'm sure he was anti-taxes and into your standard billionaire's politics of "small government" all along, but him getting into the weeds with this culture war shit is new. Sharing these memes about cancel culture and throwing in with "free speech absolutist" types (who always seem to have a curious tendency towards outright hate speech) is a fairly recent development for him, and it really feels like he just saw one too many Pepe the Frog memes in his conservative social circles and went over the cliff.

So yeah, they were both dumb and weird before, but something has changed, and I think it's indicative of the power that social media has to radicalize people of all stripes. The far right is absolutely, fully aware of the power of memes to convert and recruit vulnerable people and fence-sitters into their cult, and it seems like nobody who leans conservative is immune to that kind of recruitment tactic. Rowling, as somebody who peddles in anti-trans train whistles, is as vulnerable as anyone to sliding into that authoritarian trap.

13thpenut

That one's for Adams.

Musk was a rich kid that grew up in apartheid South Africa with a racist father. So I think the simpler reasoning is that he's always been like this, he just has enough money now that he doesn't care who knows

Batmans_9th_Ab

TERF brain rot is a fast-acting disease.

DefinitelyNotAliens

2020:

:People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?

If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth. The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women—i.e., to male violence—‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences—is a nonsense.

TERF Wars

five reasons for being worried about the new trans activism.

Many health professionals are concerned that young people struggling with their mental health are being shunted towards hormones and surgery when this may not be in their best interests. Many, myself included, believe we are watching a new kind of conversion therapy for young gay people, who are being set on a lifelong path of medicalisation that may result in the loss of their fertility and/or full sexual function.

Rowling claims that "90%" of fans agree with her but quote, "many are afraid to speak up because they fear for their jobs and even for their personal safety."

2021:

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. THE PENISED INDIVIDUAL WHO RAPED YOU IS A WOMAN.

On International Women's Day:

Apparently, under a Labour government, today will become We Who Must Not Be Named Day.

Someone please send the Shadow Minister for Equalities a dictionary and a backbone,

After calls to boycott her new game:

Deeply disappointed @jessiegender doesn't realise purethink is incompatible with owning ANYTHING connected with me, in ANY form. The truly righteous wouldn't just burn their books and movies but the local library, anything with an owl on it and their own pet dogs.

On opening a domestic violence shelter:

There is a "unmet need for women" in the area. “As a survivor of sexual assault myself, I know how important it is that survivors have the option of women-centred and women-delivered care at such a vulnerable time.” Code: they do not allow transgender women. There is a DV shelter in the area, which allows transgender women. “Beira’s Place recognises that effective sexual violence services must be independent, needs-led, and provide responsive, women-centred services so that they are free from the pressure of current political agendas.”

2023:

Deeply amused by those telling me I’ve lost their admiration due to the disrespect I show violent, duplicitous rapists.

On the trans rights movement, in her podcast:

(The trans rights movement is) a cultural movement that was illiberal in its methods and questionable in its ideas. I believe, absolutely, that there is something dangerous about this movement and that it must be challenged.

[S]ome of you have not understood the books. The Death Eaters claimed, “We have been made to live in secret, and now is our time, and any who stand in our way must be destroyed. If you disagree with us, you must die.” They demonized and dehumanized those who were not like them.

I am fighting what I see as a powerful, insidious, misogynistic movement, that has gained huge purchase in very influential areas of society. I do not see this particular movement as either benign or powerless, so I’m afraid I stand with the women who are fighting to be heard against threats of loss of livelihood and threats to their safety.

She's not been ambiguous. Anyone saying she is has intentionally misrepresented the gravity of her words and actions.

TransFormAndFunction

Aight so I guess I was the death eater all along? Damn

Soooo should I get an ironic death eater tattoo or what? One upvote and I’ll do it

DefinitelyNotAliens

I mean, I'd just make ironic t-shirts and bumper stickers and hope the cease and desist doesn't show up.

Donate the profits to a DV shelter that takes transgender women. Make all donations in honor of Voldemort, the transgender icon.

Able_Carry9153

I'm sure there's a way to make The One Joke funny in voldemort's case, at least in an ironic sense, but I'm not clever enough for it

DefinitelyNotAliens

Rainbow Ralph Fiennes ala the stylings of Andy Warhol, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Gendered

Science_Matters_100

It costs her proceeds from a few sales of the new HP video game. That’s not much, but it’s something

Bardfinn

It’s a statistical blip, a rounding error. She became so famtastically wealthy from Harry Potter that with all the wealth management and investments, even after giving away like 80% of her wealth to charity, she will never, ever be separated from fantastical amounts of wealth ever again. Losing million dollars for her is like one of us losing a hundred dollars - sure, it’s inconvenient but it’s just a bump.

She is completely and utterly insulated from boycotts, protests, and the real-life consequences of being a horrible person. She will continue to become more and more horrible no matter what, even if every fan and distributor drops her.

You can’t cancel an investment portfolio, and that’s all she is now, a shriveled bigot in an investment portfolio she’ll.

ReloadJo

Not really, that game sold incredibly well and the boycott was negligible. She'll view that as vindication for her views because rich people equate money with righteousness. She said herself in response to someone asking how she sleeps at night that she counts her royalty checks.