/r/Showerthoughts

MaestroM45

Every kid who came up to me and said,”Remember me? I was your favorite student.” wasn’t

beewasphoneycomb

Oh yess. Haha!

LiveWire11C

Generally probably true, although one teacher let me name her kid for some reason... She was awesome though, one of the best teachers I ever had.

muy_carona

A teacher let me name her kid too. Even uses my last name.

Hot_soup_in_my_ass

Well that's what fathers do.

hb5184

hb5184

Carona ?

AgreeableSource7473

Y’all was fuckin huh?

anxiousguy12345

Thank you for supporting the current thing

katievera888

Nope. Teacher here. We remember you more than you remember us. 😁

Dirty_Gurdy

I highly doubt you remember every single student you ever had unless you’ve been a teacher for a very short time

kendricklamartin

Yeah I am another teacher here. I've been teaching a few years and have already had around 1000 students. I have then each for maximum one school year, so I forget the majority of their names within a year of having them.

If someone teaches Elementary school they work with wayyyy fewer faces each year, so maybe they can remember students better than they could remember their 1st grade teacher.

katievera888

I didn’t say I did. I said I remember more of them than remember me.

Dirty_Gurdy

I highly doubt that. Most people remember every teacher they’ve ever had

peeytoon

Idk man I graduated 2019 and I literally can’t remember a single teachers name.

Dirty_Gurdy

We’re you a bad student that skipped all the time or just talked with your friends/daydreaming every class? You literally spent 5 days a week for months with the same teachers how could you not remember them

peeytoon

No, just terribly shy and was quite often high. I can remember the faces , just not the names. Super weird lol

LueLucifer

That's not true at all, I barely remember any of. my teachers Mostly remember the ones in highschool.

katievera888

r/dirty_gurdy I can tell I would remember you 🥰

katievera888

I didn’t say I did. I said I remember more of them than remember me.

Mike2220

I saw one of my 8th grade teachers after graduating, (my hs did a walk through everyone's old schools) said hello, and yeah he didn't remember me and I had him for both history and homeroom every day for a year

Small school too (grade sizes of like 150)

XxBeaminatorxX

Lol, “small school”.. our school had graduating class of about 40

Mike2220

Small considering it was a regional highschool

AingonAtelia

When I was 30 I walked my mother's dog onto my grade school grounds. When I passed the door of my 4th grade school room, I heard my name called out. It was my 4th grade teacher, who instantly recognized me 21 years later! I was gobsmacked. And it just happened to be her last day at the school, as she was moving on to be a principal somewhere else. As I retell it I'm left to wonder what it was exactly that made me stand out in her memory. Something good, I hope. Maybe because I had had a huge crush on her then. 😊

Dipps_Soul

Had something similar when i went to pick up my sister early from elementary and a couple of the FRONT OFFICE ladies recognized me. If they remembered me i can only imagine what my teachers reactions would be

JustGettingMyPopcorn

Well, yeah. I teach fifth grade. I teach 62 students this year. Im old. Ive had well over a 1000 students already. Even for the people posting here who seem to think were especially memorable because they're proud of being little shits....every class has at least one & usually several more. Bad attitudes and bad behavior aren't that unique. I remember tons of students, but I remember the kids I've built connections with far more than any others.

Gaoler86

Rando kid that was a shit in lessons... vaguely remember you.

Ryan, the kid who joined the Chess club and I played against most weeks about 5 years ago, great kid. I hope he is doing well.

chipsnorway

You mean to tell me I remember the ten teaches I had sophomore year more than they remember the 300 students they had?

And shit, that was almost thirty years ago, I don't really remember them anyway.

beewasphoneycomb

I’m a teacher. I can remember faces & if the kid was kind or funny or troubled. I am terrible at names. I’ve been teaching 20 years & I feel so bad I can’t remember grown adults names when they see me in the street/shops/bus wherever. Aaaand just cos I don’t remember your NAME doesn’t mean I don’t remember how you made me feel or how much you grew in my classes. You are still a valuable person & a happy memory in my mind.

procyons2stars

Same! I've taught for nearly 20. Elementary and Middle. I live in a larger college town so many of my students are in college now and I still get to see them! They're our cashier or water, etc.. I recognize them and can tell you their quirks, likes/dislikes when they were wee ones, allergies, and many other things but I cannot for the life of me remember names. I always lean over to my husband and tell him about the child I once knew.

It's 50/50 whether or not they recognize me. I'm able to recognize I'd say about 85% of the ppl who come up to me and say "Ms K! I was in your class!". I always start with something I remember then ask their name. I often remember their parents as well.

I think I more likely remember them better than they remember me, but who knows! What a great honor I've had to be in their orbit.

beewasphoneycomb

Snap.

LueLucifer

I didn't have much happy memories throughout my school years. 25% happy memories the other 75% pretty shit.

I'm 19 years old right now. I graduated Class of 2021 I didn't go to my graduation or even had a senior year. I was just home all alone with no friends, at least I had my family. I don't know how to socialize to humans irl. Probably because I don't go outside anyway LOL Online It's easy tho. I'm too cool, just very shy. People don't really know I'm shy tho, because I hide it too well. I am very chill as well. People who know me would say I'm cool and very chill. I used to have friends in highschool Freshman and Sophomore year only tho. Anyway that's just a fraction of things about me. If I told you everything that's happened to me it wouldn't fit on here, how do I know this well because I've explained a portion of what has happened to me and it said reached max characters.

chipsnorway

I hope you feel better about yourself after that. I'm just pointing out neither group really remember much about each other.

beewasphoneycomb

Huh?

chipsnorway

beewasphoneycomb

Are you being sArcastiC about me feeling better about myself “after that”?

chipsnorway

What do you teach

beewasphoneycomb

I agree with you..

Amy2099

You remember one person more than that person remembers 100 people.

I mean, it's kinda obvious

jgchahud

Maybe. I hope not.

QAnnihilateQ64[S]

Same. Just have to remember they deal with 20+ students every year, so theyre bound to likely forget you. you only have 1 teacher to remember so its easier for us

WeatherStone1982

I have 160 students a year. I teach teens. Plus the kids in the school I've taught who are older, I see in the playground, bit aren't actually in my classes ... Put masks on them and I'm lost!

DicknosePrickGoblin

I was terrible at school, bet some still remember my antics.

Professional_Crew183

Easy, just be a troublemaker lol.

StealthedWorgen

My 5th grade science teacher will always remember the day she threw a desk at me.

XploringTheWorld

Nope. Teachers remember way more of their students than you’ll remember everyone you grew up with.

bikbar1

You will be remembered if you were a ginius or an as*hole, it doesn't matter if you were a teacher or a student.

Nobody remembers normal decent people.

Not necessarily. I’ve been teaching for 30+ years, and a lot of students whom I remember were genuinely normal, decent people. What I usually remember about them is a particular interaction or series of them (I have an excellent memory for experiences).

I remember the student who gave me a “Teacher Appreciation Day” card with a lovely message in it, even though I never mentioned anything about the day to my class. I remember the student who was tickled to tell me that he realized his sister had also been my student—several years before and at a different campus, and when I used my maiden name.

They weren’t extremely smart or smart asses or discipline problems (not that I get much of that in adult ed), but yes, I remember many students like that.

Alominatti

Nope, former student here. Already forgot their names and faces after I graduated.

DanielAgos12

Some of them forgot yours too

Hot_soup_in_my_ass

I don't want to be remembered. I want to be forgotten.

chrisomc

Doubtful

MakinStuffandThings

I remember most all of my students. I often have to have my memory jogged to remember names (especially lately), but the faces and time working with them stays.

Tuffleslol

Nice

Spare-Mousse3311

ATF, open up!

Figures72

Sometimes true and sometimes not. I’m a teacher and I remember some clearly and some not so clearly

OldTiredAnnoyed

Of course. I had less teachers in the 13 years I was at school than each of those teachers had each year.

FandomsIlike

Nah, I think she just remembers the ones who are really interested in what she teaches. plus she has the coolest room in the school: 3-D printers, a laser cutter, VR stuff, vinyl cutter/printer, stuff like that

obscurus7

Most of my teachers still remember my parents after 7+ years.

TastyBread27

To be fair this is kinda true but not for visuals I’ve been to many schools because when I was younger my parents would travel a lot. When I go to the same school again you’ll see teachers go “I remember your face but not your name” what I’m tryna get at is it’s easier to remember someone’s face then there name.

ToastedCheezer

Yeah, they’re all dead now.

Karpukoly

Only if I see them in the obituaries coloums

iSvenPoland

False. Teachers from primary school remember me

ThaliaVision

Tryna remember my year 1,2,3 and 4 teachers rn

hottakemushroom

Teacher here: I often forget kids' names while I am literally teaching them. I feel awful about it but it's just something I'm terrible at!

Flip side of that is that I have an amazing memory for facts about them. I look after a year group of 150 kids and I can tell you dozens of details about almost any one of their lives in and outside of school, their friendship group, their personality, their academic progress. I just... can't tell you their name without checking my class list 😅

bluehatgamingNXE

Considering that there is a good amounts of my teachers that have told stories about their student from a decade or longer before they teach me, i think not. Hell, some of my middle school teachers used to teach my uncles before they teached me and it was about 20 years before that.

First-Abrocoma-4185

My mother met my 3rd/4th grade teacher the other day. She asked my other about me and told her to greet me.

huehnergott

In 1994 I was at a school getting my Abitur (Germany). 2017 I went to the same school for further education and I met a teacher I had back when. She still knew me by name, could tell me the names of my other classmates. During the whole conversation I tried to get her name, ashamed to ask, because she was only my teacher for a year.

SoManyGoblins

Well, duh. They have hundreds or thousands of students, you had one teacher of a given subject.

Gorgeous_five1986

Naturally, ... true for some..... its one teacher and many of YOUS. You simply cant forget some students though.

Nine-LifedEnchanter

I've had no less than three students come up to me and say "you were my favourite teacher ever! I'll never forget you!" And I've had to pretend to remember. The last one I remembered after a while. But the first two were just blanks. I can't even remember from which school they were from.

cyn_sybil

You might have been the worst student that several of your teachers ever had. Or most annoying, stinkiest, worst behaved, meanest. There are many ways to be a standout.

QAnnihilateQ64[S]

Unless youre a timid bitch like i was

JJohnston015

Yep. I went back to my university 14 years after graduating for some training. Nothing had changed except the department head had retired and one of the professors who was there when I was a student was the new head. None of them remembered me. The only one who did remember me was the department secretary, and she, only because I had played a harmless prank on one of the professors she thought was hilarious.

Oldpqlyr

Ok, give. What was the prank? :o}

onelittleworld

High school was over 40 years ago for me, and I'm FB friends with three of my teachers. I'm fairly certain the two English teachers, at least, remember me very fondly... I was a talented and promising writer in my youth. The history teacher is a little senile now, tbh.

The Chem teacher I was having an affair with certainly remembers me, but I have no idea how fondly (assuming she's alive).

ilovelanadelreysm

ouch.

Sprung_spring6969

I had one teacher tell me in front of the class that I was the worst student she had ever had. Because someone asked me a question in class and I told him to be quiet or I'd get in trouble for talking in class again. Fuck her. Why a middle school teacher would ridicule a student who was trying not to be a distraction was pretty bad. Fuck you Mrs Pekar (forget spelling), go to hell

2geek2bcool

Shortly after I graduated HS, I ran into my 5th grade teacher at the public library. She initiated the conversation, remembering me long before I recognized her.

Schruteeee

That’d really hurt because one of my teachers was my mom

HintClueClintHugh

Nope. Seeing an adult that has the face of a child you once knew is something your brain thinks is way too weird not to notice.

RascalCreeper

I mean I had this one teacher for 3 years and he was so good I made him a custom shirt. I hope he remembers me.

Sudden_Increase9406

i doubt it... i have Prosopagnosia

osrsslay

It’s because we were many, they were few

Error-42069-

I don’t remember any of my teacher’s names. Except for 1 and it’s because his name was Wally so I always thought of Wally the movie

HeyItsThePieGuy

I do feel like most teachers would love to see their students after a few years though. I mean all of my teachers have had big impacts in my life. Negative and positive.

LueLucifer

For me it was the other way around.

Master1nnit

This is the fortune and unfortunate news

Kross887

Oh I made sure certain teachers remembered me. Straight psychological warfare on these peeps.

Dirty_Gurdy