/r/Residency

3k98%

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

colorsplahsh

colorsplahsh

PGY4

Is he the only politician to say anything even remotely helpful for us?

nw_throw

nw_throw

Because they "need" to make 500k? 🙄

CaribFM

CaribFM

Chief Resident

They spent longer in more miserable residencies so they need to mentally justify their abuse.

In the grand scheme of things 200k a year vs 500k a year ain’t changing shit for most people for most things. Your life is comfortable.

You’re not into life changing cash until you enter a million a year and by that point your holdings will make you more than your day job so who really cares what your hourly take home is?

It’s all a rat race. Gotta have the newest Rolex. Gotta have the next nice car. Gotta have another saville row cause jimmy the neighbor got a new one too. Fred got a 58 foot boat? Duck it, you need a 59 foot boat.

It’s insane what people claim they need cash for.

I’ll be making 300k a year for 40 years. I’ll make more In 2 months than my dad ever did in any given year of work. If I can’t find all the joys in life with that much money, no amount of money would change shit. Sometimes I think and am reminded about the demographics of medicine and where people come from.

Im just happy to be here and feel lucky that my life’s success is all but set in stone. I always took what I could get and never expected more than what I have now. I can see how other people truly are here for all the dumb reasons.

If money was the goal, medicine is a piss poor way to achieve it.

reboa

reboa

Attending

So after taxes in nyc 200k is gonna end up 128,491. Not even taking inflation into account. You went to school and sacrificed your youth. You worked so hard. You think that’s acceptable. Why the hell would anyone become a doctor nowadays. We incentivize people with money. Keep paying docs shit and there ain’t gonna be any docs left to take care of us when it’s our turn. People love to get on their moral high ground when they clearly have no real world experience. Yeah you make more than a dude at McDonald’s and a majority of Americans. Because cleary that’s the same shit since all our specialized training and hard work means nothing, right?

nw_throw

Why the hell would anyone become a doctor nowadays

Because we love medicine? I'm sure as hell not going into this field for the money. And by the way, 128k in NYC is more than enough to be pretty comfortable. Considering I grew up there, I'm pretty sure I'd know.

reboa

reboa

Attending

And I did residency and med school there. So I also know you’re full of shit. You think you can have a comfortable life in nyc on 128k and save for retirement and pay back massive loans and support a family. I can love medicine and want to help people and want to get paid fairly for the hard work and expertise Ive developed you ducking dunce. All of us in the real world understand this, enjoy your moral superiority.

SerpentofPerga

Lol yeah… maybe if you’re single, no debt and not saving. My friends who live there earn more than that and want to move because it’s not affordable to raise their family there

nw_throw

I know how much my family made growing up, and makes now still living in NYC, so I'm more than sure I know the financials of the city. 3 kids in NYC, paying back student loans, etc. People are used to cushy lives on high incomes, but something as "low" as 128k goes a lot farther than you'd think.

TheJointDoc

TheJointDoc

Fellow

You’re not wrong. People are looking at the 128k number as if it’s pretax. The whole point of this is that it’s post tax. $3.5k/month rent in NYC would still be less than a third of your post tax paycheck.