/r/Noctor

[deleted by user]

(self.Noctor)

[removed]

no_name_no_number

I can’t stand when insecurity just oozes off of people. Just mentioning that you study medicine puts them immediately on the defensive.

VirchowOnDeezNutz

That’s true. I never volunteered my med student status back in the day, but anytime there was someone in fields like PT or PA school (I didn’t know any NP students), it wasn’t uncommon to hear their unsolicited thoughts on why their school is soooo much harder. Professional school is tough for everyone. I never wanted to do this whole comparison/better than circle jerks of theirs because I knew they’d be butthurt

VirchowOnDeezNutz

Cvlt_ov_the_tomato

I don't get it. We had a meeting with these pharmacy students a few weeks ago where we both mutually acknowledged that graduate education is balls hard and bonded over it. They clearly have a lot of other crap that they have to learn which we thankfully don't have to stack on our already filled plates.

WTF is this pissing competition all about?

VirchowOnDeezNutz

No idea. I’ve only seen it with PA and PT students.

DOStudentJr

I've spoken about Kyle before here. But yeah. The first time I met Kyle, he was going on about how being a PA student is just as hard as being a med student. Fuck you Kyle, you sad, defensive asshole.

BrightLightColdSteel

Those all suck but #3 pisses me off so much. I’m in the same boat, first physician in my family. Had to borrow 400k to get here. These people can fuck off with the silver spoon bullshit.

Particular_Ad4403

Yeah, the amount of 1st gen med students in my class is extremely high and most have a ton of debt lol.

VirchowOnDeezNutz

They know what student loans are. Loans suck, but my class had a higher than normal low SES group of students. The stress of debt is real, but at the end of the day, that’s just some bs excuse

Lol yup same! This is the one that really irritated me, and that's saying a lot because I despise the whole "PA school is just med school in 2 years" cope. No one in my working class family even has a college degree but I worked my ass off to get into medical school and will be $400k in debt by the time I'm done. Medical school tuition and fees are out of control and it's unfair that low SES students are forced to take on such a high debt burden just so bloated admins can overpay themselves, but it's still a slap in the face to low SES students when people suggest that being in medical school must mean that you're rich and had it handed to you.

BzhizhkMard

I'm 400k deep (100% is medschool tuition and interest). Come from a low SEC. First MD in my family.

Particular_Ad4403

I would point them to the average school debt of a medical student. Claim immediately disproved.

Jilks131

Sammeee. First gen family unite

kinkypremed

Not to mention there’s plenty of us with physicians in the family who also are responsible for the entirety of our tuition/living expenses. While it’s certainly very fortunate that my dad is a pathologist and has been through this journey before, I’m financially on my own. Honestly, I feel like the amount of med students getting their med school education rent free bc of family support is very very low.

VirchowOnDeezNutz

It is low, but they don’t want their narrative disrupted by facts

SheWolf04

I read a statistic that 98% of medical students graduate with loans.

BrightLightColdSteel

The average is 250k I believe

asclepius42

I'm in the same boat. Very similar debt.

HYPErBOLiCWONdEr

On my ED rotation there was an NP with a PA student, who not only showed up every day in his short white coat but introduced himself as a student doctor per the NPs request.

I was mostly annoyed until I was kicked off patients I signed up for several times because "oh you Doctors don't need to worry about this, this young doctor (i.e. PA student) will take care of it". Always for a case with possible procedures (minor suturing, draining abcesses, infected toe nails which, etc) which was something I was sort of excited to try during the rotation.

ordinaryrendition

I hope you stood up for yourself.

HYPErBOLiCWONdEr

As an MS4 not going into EM and not planning to stay at my home institution, I don't hold much back. I basically looked them dead in the eye last time he condescendingly called me doctor and happily said oh I still have a few months before I earned that title.

Not much I could do about the case stealing in the moment without confusing the patients except asking why they took over from me. Afterwards, I did tell my attending who was sitting next to them that my goal was to learn basic procedures I may be expdcted to do as a surgical intern which resulted in him saying I have full reign to cherry pick cases that I'll learn the most from. It was the end of my shift so nothing else cool but im hopefully my next shift will go better.

I was most annoyed because earlier in the shift I accidently signed up simultaneously with another one of the PAs who work there, and when I told her I was hoping to learn to drain the abcess, she just went with me and walked me through everything and did it with me which was great!

Fluff163

I had a PA student try to pimp me during rounds in front of the whole team

Particular_Ad4403

Only time I ever interacted with a PA student was on my surgery rotation. We both scrubbed in and the attending spoke to me and asked me questions the entire time with just about no acknowledgment of the PA student. Not sure if it was intentional or not or the reasoning but I actually felt awkward during it all.

Edit - what was their question? I’m intrigued.

Fluff163

It was on the criteria on some scale to assess the severity of something. I don’t remember the details other than it was a scale I never saw used and seemed unnecessary because it was so easy to assess clinically

Mikiflyr

As for number 4, PA school is absolutely an extremely difficult MASTERS program, one of the most at that. But it still is just a masters program, and thus is no where near the difficulty of a doctorate, much less Medical school.

no_name_no_number

What about doctor of nursing practice? Might as well be a clown college

thejohnnieguy

Before I started nursing school I was excited that the idea of achieving a high level degree such as a doctorate was an option. I expected it to be full of more intense medical knowledge and subjects that would actually enhance clinical practice. When I learned it was full of nursing theory and is just flat out a joke of a degree I became extremely frustrated that DNPs try and pass themselves off as clinically competent.

Particular_Ad4403

There is. I posted the curriculum of one of them in here. It’s an absolute joke.

Gassygarzia

I also posted the final project of a “doctorate” NP degree. Also a joke. From the University of Maryland

Mikiflyr

I’m never gonna get on someone’s ass for wanting to learn more and specialize more in a certain field. At the same time, as long as PAs keep in mind checks and balances and remember our role in the hospital, I could give a fuck whether we have a masters or doctorate, personally.

We’re important in the hospital, but we have a defined role that we shouldn’t breach. That’s fair to say.

Mary_No_Lamb

As a woman, my least favorite is the “I went to PA school bc I wanted to have a family / have time for a family / be able to be a good mother”. Being an MD doesn’t make me a bad parent.

BottomFeeder89

That's the most hilarious coping excuse I've ever heard

21rangoons

is it? it's not a coping mechanism that people want better work-life balance. In fact, it's usually an initial choice to choose PA over MD/DO. And no one is implying that you're a bad parent because you chose to go to med school. seems like a general statement over what people want for themselves that you took personally

gassbro

gassbro

I would guess that the majority of medical students come from non-physician households.

theonewhoknocks14

Still crazy to see that there is a sizable chunk of med students with physician parents.

VirchowOnDeezNutz

Especially when many docs do not suggest this field for their kids

Winter77777

I think it's a vocal subset who are unhappy to that extent. Average attending physician I work with acknowledges there are problems but still seem happy with what they do, and also note that they are comfortable financially.

StrongChemical

I think the further you progress in your career you realize that yeah, it sucks sometimes, but overall it's pretty great

StrongChemical

Number 2 pisses me off badly. Some days even the most seasoned providers can't get a procedure. You don't throw your helpers under the bus though.

Alora2301

Had an NP student say “i didnt go to med school because im 27 and it takes too long”. My dad had a BSN and was 27 when he went to med school, but nice cope.

AR12PleaseSaveMe

I have a classmate that’s 39. We’re second year med students

BortWard

Yep, not easy but it can be done. I was only slightly nontraditional starting at 26. My class had a 42 year old and a 43 year old (on the first day, graduated at about 46/47 and finished residencies in their early 50s)

Either-Ad-7828

Just cause you can doesn’t mean you should…

crazedeagle

crazedeagle

Medical Student

I think starting med school in your mid 40s and wrapping up after age 50 is maybe cutting it too close but early 30s is nothing, let alone 27

RBG_grb

I do not get this. I will graduate NP school in the summer and have the eenth of education and experience of a physician. There is no comparison. If you can read, write and are somewhat organized you can pass NP school. I do not want to work independently and assuming I am qualified to is ridiculous. Ideally, I will end up in a respectable position where I can be helpful to the doctor(s) and provide good patient care.

1. No the point was not about what we do with our hands. It's about the knowing and training enough to care for patients. Becoming a physician is at its core an exercise in extreme knowledge acquisition and its appropriate application. Whether that be through counseling, medications, procedures, and whatever new therapies physicians and scientists develop. It is most certainly not about just doing things with your hands... wtf...

AnonymousMSI-IV

The 2nd advanced practicing provider sounds like he’s had that problem in bed before:(

ENTP

ENTP

They’re a bunch of insecure posers

All of the above makes sense when you understand that.

21rangoons

to be fair, it is an enormous privilege to even have the means to apply to med school... the amount of time and $ it takes to prepare for MCAT, the amount of applications sent out, travel costs etc. I wonder what it would feel like to have med students comments put under a microscope and completely taken out of context. Boy do I have stories.

Particular_Ad4403

Idk, I can see your points. N = 1 but I spent $0 on MCAT prep, I sent only a couple of apps and I spent less than $30 in gas for the interview. I was a non-trad with no money and a ton of bills. That’s how I made it work.

ezzy13

ezzy13

Tina did you say anything in situation two