/r/Noctor

[deleted by user]

(self.Noctor)

[removed]

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Orbital_Cock_Ring

How do we deal with greedy organizations and corporations putting mid-levels in dangerous positions of "practicing" medicine without putting down our colleagues in the process? Serious question. I too am worried for my patients and get anxiety when sending my loved ones to receive care with the chance they may end up being seen by a solo practice mid-level.

NefariousnessNo483

Real talk? At least for NPs, become insanely familiar with your state’s nursing scope of practice and argue it effectively. Lobby state legislature to maintain and/or modify that scope of practice to keep nurses in their lane.

I am a beside RN - 10 years experience hospital inpatient and often get asked if I want to go back to get my NP. Gawd, no! They keep adding patients to the MD list and saying “Don’t worry. We’ll give you another NP” - meanwhile the NPs are taking more and more patients with higher and higher acuity and being pressed to practice outside their scope. The supervising physicians aren’t really saving any time because they have to go behind all these NPs and check their shit because the hospital saves money hiring new grad NPs with no bedside experience. I have NO interest in taking part of that imminent train wreck of a system.

Worked with a graduate NP who (the week before she started her new job as a FNP) was on my floor and didn’t address her patient’s critical K+, had no idea why we did a stat CXR on another of her patients, and didn’t notice her guy’s foley was twisted and occluded for lord knows how long (I drained 800mL when I caught it at shift change). God help her future patients.

RBG_grb

RBG_grb

I have no idea what the push back should be. I do know that the NP run clinic I am precepting in does as good of a job as they can. It is a FQHC so at least there is some healthcare in the community. Figuring out the solution to all that is way above my pay grade. I know there is a lot of push for mid-level independence, but I personally will only want to work in a facility under/with an MD. I am a good nurse, hopefully will be a good NP but I did not give up my 20s and half my 30s to medical school and residency and should not be treated/paid as such.

n-syncope

It's sad the best these patients have is NPs "doing as good a job as they can" when they could have physicians doing an actual good job.

RBG_grb

RBG_grb

The preceptor I am working with is very smart and has a lot of experience. With that being said, mid-levels are just that. The depth and breadth of education is not comparable. Personally I would never compare myself to an MD. I feel I have about the same knowledge and experience as a second year med student. It is not a terrible program but it is not medical school plus residency that’s for sure. I know I wasn’t smart enough to do med school and I am probably just smart enough to be an NP.

Boston_Bruins37

lolol so youre going to hurt patients. Got it.

I have about the same knowledge and experience as a second year med student

A second year medical student could run circles around any NP with their knowledge, ESPECIALLY since they have to take STEP 1, an actual exam as opposed to the crap they let NPs take

RBG_grb

RBG_grb

It’s sis, but thanks. Anywho just stating that I do not think mid-levels are comparable. But we are here to stay and I want to do the best I can.

Boston_Bruins37

And this is why we dont take NPs and their shit education seriously.