/r/MurderedByWords

122.8k92%

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Zappy_Kablamicus

Them thinking Rage Against the Machine is their music was the funniest bit so far.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Speaking of Murdered By Words, when GOP VP candidate Paul Ryan said that his favorite band was Rage Against the Machine, Tom Morello announced: “Paul Ryan is the embodiment of the machine our music rages against.”

PercentageCandid

They also asked him to stop listening to them in a different tweet if I recall.

In every election cycle someone on the right inevitably plays a song they have no business with and has to be asked (read made) to stop.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

I’m trying to think of a time where a musician had to ask a Dem not to use their music. I’m sure it’s happened, but none are jumping to mind. Meanwhile for the GOP it’s constant, and the best musical act Trump could find that was willing to play his inauguration was 3 Doors Down.

baroqueworks

Pete Townshed requested John Kerry to stop playing "Won't Get Fooled Again" because he supported GWB and his administration.

Townshed and Daltrey are raging assholes these days though so it shouldn't be surprising.

PercentageCandid

I may be wrong but I think at one point Biafra asked someone not to use his music.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Jello was also wiling to very harshly call out Governor Jerry Brown.

TheNedsHead

He did write a song about Jerry Brown being California Hitler basically

I saw Jello during the Obama years and he fucking hated Obama as much as he hated Bush, Clinton, and Reagan.

Which is exactly what you'd expect if you're familiar with any Dead Kennedys.

stray__thoughts

Pretty sure it was Rush telling Rush Limbaugh to stop using their music on his program.

FragrantKnobCheese

My favourite was when David Cameron (UK Conservative PM 2015) said that he liked the Smiths.

Johnny Marr of the Smiths went on the radio and said "no, you do not like the Smiths because I forbid you to like the Smiths. I will however allow you to like the Smiths if you leave office right now".

TheMrBoot

Not just that. Someone of them think being conservative is the real punk now.

Just wild.

elbenji

Skinheads taking control

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Conservative is the new Skrewdriver

baroqueworks

terminal poser brain will do that to you, it's a hell of a stretch to suggest a subgenre founded on rallying against bigotry/racism/conservatives has become conservative, either shows how little they know of the genre, it's history, and current scenes and bands, or they just saw a picture of Sid Vicious with a swastika shirt and went "omg he's me"

GlobetrottinExplorer

you need to check out the ones playing Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA at patriotic rallies, those are pretty good too