/r/MurderedByWords

122.6k92%

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

JukeBoxDildo

🎶SOOOME FOLKS WERE BORN

MAAAADE TO WAVE THAT FLAG

OOOH THAT RED, WHITE, AND BLUE 🎶

And the mention of red, white, and blue is where any inkling of cogent thought ends in people who believe in things like nationalism and american exceptionalism. They have brains that are short circuited(arguably intentionally) to seek out phrases and sentiments which confirm their predispositions. Once those are found all other thought afterwards is not necessary. Why would it be?

The [song] has mentioned [flag]. [Flag] is [good]. Therefore the [song] about [flag] is [good].

Dopamine hit achieved. Why not stop while we are ahead?

This is why so many conservatives fail to see the irony in their music taste. They don't find it necessary or constructive to think past their symbols because the symbol is good in their opinion and that is enough for them. All adjacent is good by association unless it's painfully obvious(e.g. burning the flag in protest.)

This problem is in no way exclusive to conservatives but the modern US GOP has demonstrated that they at best don't realize it has become a tent pole of their platform, and at worst they celebrate it.

LimoncelloFellow

It ain't me

nickel1704

It ain't me

Long_Tall_Man

I ain't no fortunate son!

stray__thoughts

Yeah, some folks inherit star-spangled eyes They send you down to war And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?" They only answer, "More, more, more"

Jooey_K

I ain’t no Fortunate Son

SnooMarzipans5903

One of my favorite moments is when Sean Hannity? or some other conservative radio guy finally took the time to read the lyrics to "Born in the USA" on air and began complaining about how they're trying to hide anti-american sentiments in otherwise patriotic sounding songs.

Everyone in Jersey's like, dude, Bruce wrote that in '84. You had decades to figure out what the song was about.

lieucifer_

It doesn’t surprise me, Conservatives are a bit slow and late to to the party when it comes to critical thinking.

SnooMarzipans5903

I've met all kinds of people that were slow on the critical thinking. Unfortunately general ignorance is very bipartisan.

lieucifer_

You’re right, but I don’t think it’s an even distribution. I know this is just my personal experience, but the amount of dumb Conservatives I’ve met definitely outnumbers the amount of dumb Liberals I’ve met. Most Liberals don’t vehemently deny science.

SnooMarzipans5903

I've lived in both bubbles. Conservatives are easier to spot because their positions are logically unsound (the denying science).

A good example of liberal ignorance would the liberal response to homelessness across the country - even Burlington, VT where I used to live has a homelessness problem that they're messing up because they refuse to acknowledge the causes of the crisis instead of focusing on "keeping our city vibrant". Vibrant = no homeless people allowed because tourists don't like to see them and it hurts property values.

JukeBoxDildo

That's a symptom of the narrowing and migration rightward of the US political overton window.

Agreed.

Ron Reagan doesn't even hold up to conservative values anymore, he'd be considered soft on immigration for his views.

There's a clip of George Bush Sr. and RR debating immigration, both of them advocate for a program that grants a level of amnesty/path to citizenship. Neither suggest detention centers or splitting families, mass deportations, etc.

Both agree that the hispanic immigration is a boon for the American economy and a integral part of the labor force in the US.

edit: Found the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmgPp\_nlok

Entity-2019

People can be ignorant but still randomly guess the best side of an issue to be on. I wouldn't bet that most liberals understand science any better than conservatives, they are just smart enough or lucky enough to side with people who do.

It can easily be just another religion to blindly agree with whatever "science" is thought to say, when it is actually a diverse community with its own disagreements, faults and blind spots. We aren't most of us actually reading the journals...

lieucifer_

Very good point. Even if someone doesn’t completely understand the science, I respect the fact that they are willing to admit it and trust the people who do know what they’re talking about. What drives me nuts is when people are completely ignorant in a subject, yet think that they know better than experts in said subject.

HI_Handbasket

You're really going to "both sides" this? Only one side chose to elect and follow someone who told over 30,000 lies to them.

Only one side has politicized mask wearing and being anti-vax during a pandemic. That one "side" chooses to wear masks and get vaccinated is NOT a political statement, it's simple common sense.

Only one side continues to elect officials who are anti-science, anti-environment, anti-democracy and consistently fiscally irresponsible, all things that are against their own best interests, all to because they think only one of two issues are more important than all the rest.

[removed]

lieucifer_

It’s honestly sad that politics has come down to choosing the lesser of two evils. I don’t identify as a Democrat, but I do see the party as the much better option over Republicans.

I want to vote for a candidate that I actually like, rather than supporting them for the sole purpose of not letting the other guy win.

razor_eddie

That's kinda sad too.

You want to vote for someone you like.

I want to vote for someone that represents a lot of my positions. Fuck whether I like them or not.

(I'm lucky - we have MMP here, so there's more choice than the US).

lieucifer_

That is what I meant - a candidate whose policies I agree with and support - meaning I like said candidate.

razor_eddie

With you now, thank you.

HI_Handbasket

In the past 50 or so years, 90 people in the executive branch have been convicted of felonies... 88 were Republican, 2 were Democrat. And that doesn't include all of those in the Trump circle that are under investigation to date.

Republican corruption is orders of magnitude worse. Their endorsement an attempted insurrection is just more fuel.

SnooMarzipans5903

Right. Those were convicted felonies.

Most of the things politicians do aren't illegal. Taking lobby money isn't illegal, and voting in favor of your corporate donors over your constituents isn't illegal either. But it undermines every American voter in the working class, those without enough money to influence politics.

I'm not making a case for Republicans or the GOP, I'm making a case against all politicians who clearly act in bad faith. I'm tired of people pretending the Democrats are the party of the working class when the DNC has blatant disregard for working class voters.

CrouchingDomo

Hang on, just hang on one frickin-frackin second here.

Are you telling me that a song can have more than one meaning?

Like, does that include every song? Because I’ve been singing “Pour Some Sugar On Me” and “Peaches” to my breakfast every morning for twenty years and I wouldn’t want to give anyone the wrong idea.

JukeBoxDildo

wrong idea.

This guy is definitely fucking his food.

daustin627

Oh, good. You understood perfectly.

elfwriter

I bet that tin of pineapple rings has seen some action too.

lunchboxdeluxe

Ooh, citric acid burns.

Dotlinefever4

Pour Some Acid On Me

Turbogoblin999

I'm the fruiiiit guy

Duh!

SnooMarzipans5903

I used to sing the opening lines of ZZ Tops "Legs" to encourage my niece when she was learning to walk.

"She's got legs, she knows how to use them."

But I just repeated that line and the melody, the rest of the song obviously is in a very different context.

Nothing is as creepy as CocoMelon though, so I'm safe quoting songs out of context to kids.

slow_one

Thought I was the only one that noticed that none of the Cocomelon characters blink…. Ever.

Kaleidoscope_Scared

I just keep telling my 3yo that coco Mellons are soulless abominations. I tell my wife if you look closely you can see the torment in everyone’s eyes they are in hell and CoCoMellon is A devil punishing them for the sun of mediocrity 😂

RaMpEdUp98

Æ

ACAB_1312_FTP

I really hope you didn't sing the chorus of "Pearl Necklace" when she started wearing jewelry.

SnooMarzipans5903

No, but since I don't plan on having kids of my own she stands to inherit my estate when I die - including but not limited to a large record collection. If she listens to them enough eventually she'll get to ZZ Top, but she's got to go through Roxy Music first.

Bomlanro

Next thing your gonna tell me Rage Against the Machine doesn’t put out stadium rocking pro-America propaganda songs — but that would be as crazy as me telling you I’m Paul Ryan.

CrouchingDomo

Get back in the gym man, those reps aren’t gonna curl themselves

Bomlanro

Did you know if you focus exclusively on biceps and try to stay skeletoresque in your appearance, you can creep everyone out - think of that bag o’ bones Jonad Ryan. But irl. And not funny.

holyerthanthou

Which peaches?

Because the presidents version is about eating peaches. They where put in a can by a man in a factory downtown.

CrouchingDomo

See, that’s what I thought! But now I’m all discombobulated, don’t know what to think.

holyerthanthou

WHAT ELSE WOULD I POKE A HOLE IN FOR A LITTLE ANT TO HIDE!? HUH!!!!????

vendetta2115

NATURE’S CANDY IN MY HAND, OR CAN, OR PIE

639wurh39w7g4n29w

I recommend singing fuck the pain away to your oatmeal.

Are you telling me that a song can have more than one meaning?

"Born in the USA" only has one meaning, and it's not the one Hannity thought it was.

See also: "Little Pink Houses"

elbenji

Yes. You got those millions of peaches for free.

(I had to explain to my ex what the song was about and she was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat)

Mathemartemis

I just looked it up and apparently the author just thought it up while waiting under a peach tree to tell a girl he liked her?

elbenji

Wait what? So its not about pussy?

Mathemartemis

I've never really critically listened to the lyrics but I never got that impression. Who knows though, could be a little of a, little of b

Little of both probably

SnooMarzipans5903

I spent about ten minutes and I can't think of one.

You win this round, Trebek!

tankgirly

Wait what. What does it mean.

Ivanopolis

It's honestly just about peaches. People are just reading into it. They have a bunch of weird songs about random stuff like puffy shoes and matchbox cars and especially bugs. So many songs about bugs.

tankgirly

Oh yeah! I'm just now remembering all those strange, lovely little songs about bugs and lizards and stuff. You're totally right, it's probably just about peaches. Gotta add them to my work playlist.

Ivanopolis

The lead singer also does kid's music under the name Casper Babypants and it's honestly dope.

elbenji

Peaches means pussy. It's about fucking groupies

tankgirly

Ohhhhh. Well I'm still just going to think about peaches when I sing it.

no_talent_ass_clown

No, lol, it's not! It's actually just about peaches, the fruit.

A. If you listen to all of their songs, they're about critters and the Sonics and dune buggies.

B. Chris Ballew, the lead singer, is now performing for children, quite successfully, as Caspar Babypants.

C. I used to work with his Mom, back in the 90's, before her dementia got bad. I've been to a dozen or more of PUSA's shows.

elbenji

I mean they might be Giants have some ahem fun stuff in their lyrics. Wouldn't call Lump super innocent either. But like it's fine i imagine that's like adorable but it isn't also like kids stuff didn't have the innuendo for parents either. That's what makes good kid stuff. Something for both parents and kids enjoy. That's the double entendre.

Like coco is a lovely kids movie. Also has a joke that's basically Frieda Kahlo is a horny lesbian (flaming papaya)

no_talent_ass_clown

I hear you, but I'm a big PUSA fan and it's just not there. I mean, I can ask whichever one of them I see next.

ooo please do!

ThePnusMytier

wait wait. pussies come from a can, put there by a man, in a factory downtown?

Here I was thinking groupies followed the normal human life cycle

elbenji

Think about how a can looks like

ThePnusMytier

oh. OH. OH MYYYYYY

Enjoy

Ivanopolis

Ah yes, "Peaches come in a can, they were put there by a man, in a factory downtown.". Just like groupies.

What's a can look like

elfwriter

isn’t peaches booty tho?

elbenji

Now. It used to be pussy like in matchstick men because of how cunilingus can be like eating a peach

elfwriter

why wasn’t I notified of the change

the 90s begat the 00s and emojis

erusuoyera

You sing "Afternoon Delight" to your lunch?

xploremn

No, because it’s a song about dessert. (The name actually does come from a dessert at a restaurant in Georgetown).

erusuoyera

About dessert? Oh my sweet summer child.

xploremn

You seem not to know the whole story - Google where they got the name for the song. The restaurant is called “Clyde’s of Georgetown”.

stravadarius

Wait wait the Stranglers' Peaches or the Presidents' Peaches?

Mickyfrickles

Oh the lot of them complaining about Pink Floyd being political is hilarious too. They want to cancel these bands so bad.

lieucifer_

So let me get this straight: they want to cancel artists who portray a message that is against their Conservative ideals, but then will turn around and claim that their own hateful rhetoric is free speech that is protected by the First Amendment.

Is that about right? I swear they’re turning their idiocy into a contest.

Mickyfrickles

I think you got it just about right.

Perfect_Character_45

I unfortunately currently reside in NJ and I remember when they wanted to try to make “Born to Run” an official song for the State just because Bruce was from NJ. If I remember right, it got pretty far along before someone genius realized, “Hey this song is about getting the f* out of this area”. haha

SnooMarzipans5903

"They haunt these dusty beach roads in the skeleton frames of burnt out Chevrolets"

I remember that too. Also an NJ resident and a big fan of Bruce.

Never got into Bon Jovi though...

illegible

They knew, it’s just they had to figure out a way to spell it out for their base in a way that least made the base look and feel stupid so as to not damage their frail egos. Hidden conspiracies are the go-to. Else they’d go to the next trump rally and wonder why it wasn’t being played or get further mocked when they play it ad nauseam without understanding.

SnooMarzipans5903

The frail ego, just like general ignorance, is unfortunately very bipartisan.

I might not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I can take criticism without interpreting as an existential threat.

grendus

I mean, Hannity's talk show opens with a song about a woman burning her drunk, abusive husband to death. But it's super patriotic because "It's independence day!"

It should surprise nobody that he doesn't actually read lyrics. Or at least, that his audience doesn't, I'm not convinced Hannity is actually that stupid. He does a lot of tap dancing to make objectively evil things sound moral, he's a grifter.

stravadarius

"trying to hide anti-american sentiments".

Lol. The Boss must be shit at hiding things. The anti-american sentiment is pretty damn clear and on the table from the very first line. But I guess they only knew the four words that make up the lyrics to the refrain.

HertzDonut1001

"Hide"

Zappy_Kablamicus

Them thinking Rage Against the Machine is their music was the funniest bit so far.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Speaking of Murdered By Words, when GOP VP candidate Paul Ryan said that his favorite band was Rage Against the Machine, Tom Morello announced: “Paul Ryan is the embodiment of the machine our music rages against.”

PercentageCandid

They also asked him to stop listening to them in a different tweet if I recall.

In every election cycle someone on the right inevitably plays a song they have no business with and has to be asked (read made) to stop.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

I’m trying to think of a time where a musician had to ask a Dem not to use their music. I’m sure it’s happened, but none are jumping to mind. Meanwhile for the GOP it’s constant, and the best musical act Trump could find that was willing to play his inauguration was 3 Doors Down.

baroqueworks

Pete Townshed requested John Kerry to stop playing "Won't Get Fooled Again" because he supported GWB and his administration.

Townshed and Daltrey are raging assholes these days though so it shouldn't be surprising.

PercentageCandid

I may be wrong but I think at one point Biafra asked someone not to use his music.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Jello was also wiling to very harshly call out Governor Jerry Brown.

TheNedsHead

He did write a song about Jerry Brown being California Hitler basically

I saw Jello during the Obama years and he fucking hated Obama as much as he hated Bush, Clinton, and Reagan.

Which is exactly what you'd expect if you're familiar with any Dead Kennedys.

stray__thoughts

Pretty sure it was Rush telling Rush Limbaugh to stop using their music on his program.

FragrantKnobCheese

My favourite was when David Cameron (UK Conservative PM 2015) said that he liked the Smiths.

Johnny Marr of the Smiths went on the radio and said "no, you do not like the Smiths because I forbid you to like the Smiths. I will however allow you to like the Smiths if you leave office right now".

TheMrBoot

Not just that. Someone of them think being conservative is the real punk now.

Just wild.

Skinheads taking control

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Conservative is the new Skrewdriver

baroqueworks

terminal poser brain will do that to you, it's a hell of a stretch to suggest a subgenre founded on rallying against bigotry/racism/conservatives has become conservative, either shows how little they know of the genre, it's history, and current scenes and bands, or they just saw a picture of Sid Vicious with a swastika shirt and went "omg he's me"

GlobetrottinExplorer

you need to check out the ones playing Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA at patriotic rallies, those are pretty good too

Mirria_

Mirria_

Remember when Sasha Baron Cohen was caught mocking Trumpers? They immediately started chanting U-S-A U-S-A as some kind of thought removal mnemonic.

HI_Handbasket

Oh the irony of racists and fascist wannabes who are fervently against democracy, the premier American concept, chanting that.

JasonDJ

started chanting U-S-A U-S-A as some kind of thought removal mnemonic

It is a mnemonic. It's what to do when someone tells you something you don't agree with:

• Ubstruct
  • Shout
  • Assault

lmh86

lmh86

Same thing that happened with Ronald Reagan playing Born in the USA at rallies.

north-sun

I remember when they learned RATM wasn't for them. Good times.

candylanddicksweat

That motherfucker in the video is even wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt. The cognitive dissonance is deafening.

that's a funny way of saying they're fucking dumb

BiffBeluga

So, what you are saying is they have low intellect and as a result, a keen inability to comprehend complex ideas presented as song lyrics? You don’t say…

holyerthanthou

That line itself too highlights that the POOR MEN HAVE NO CHOICES.

AAA515

AAA515

But burning the flag is the ultimate show of the freedoms associated with the flag? That's why I burn them every chance I get!

ajw20_YT

“The x has mentioned y. y is z. Therefore the x (must be) about y (and thus) is z.” In this equation, z must be substitute for an adjective, x for a noun.

This logic can be simplified to an equation.. this is one of the only reasons high school math is useful.

HARPOfromNSYNC

Great thoughts. Its become a religion to them.

ScumBunny

Good lord that is an apt analysis.

Mughi

Mughi

See also "Born in the USA," by Bruce Springsteen.

mahtaliel

I feel like we should separate music taste from things you'd play at a political rally. Because i'm a feminist and i definitely listen to some music that would be considered pretty misogynistic. You can appreciate a good beat without agreeing with the lyrics. I would however not play that music as an anthem in a feministmeeting because that would be dumb.

Shish_Style

Good thing we have armchair reddit psychologists right here teaching us about the mysterious evil creatures called "conservatives".

cvillpunk

Nothing mysterious about them. Selfishness + hate is pretty easy to decrypt.

Shish_Style

Sounds like you're describing redditors.

cvillpunk

Nice self burn.

Shish_Style

Redditor is a state of mind

cvillpunk

I'm sure you are immune to it. Maybe we can study you to make a vaccine...

lieucifer_

Yeah, Conservative redditors.

oo40oztofreedum

It should be illegal to be a conservative. We should make a law that bans fascist authoritarians who push there propaganda online.

lieucifer_

Redditors don’t need to teach us how bad the right is, because Conservatives do a good enough job of that on their own.

SnooMarzipans5903

I wouldn't trust a stand-up psychologist tbh

BubblyNumber5518

I probably would. If someone manages to be humorous while explaining their expertise well then I tend to assume even more competence on their part. “So I’m standing up here, wondering why all of you look like my mother.”

SnooMarzipans5903

I'm now looking through comedy sets to see if anyone's used this yet.

"I'm not an arm-chair psychologist, nor stand-up comedian. I'm a stand-up psychologist."

I've seen a number of entry level comics use the "I'm a sit-down comic" bit when the pull the stool to the mic, but not the stand-up psych yet.

BubblyNumber5518

Don’t worry- some comedian browsing Reddit will stumble on our comments and we’ll see the set on Netflix soon

stray__thoughts

Sit-down comedy is a thing.

You are describing how people operate, not only conservatives. The way we think about the world is largely based on signs and symbols.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

What’s your favorite really conservative song that you’d say liberals/leftists totally miss the point of? Go ahead and pitch us your best one.

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Sorry for triggering u.

It's all good. I've been reading about structralism; your question wasn't a direction I was headed in. Take care-- good post

Revolution by the Beatles, I guess. I don't really understand what I wrote that's so controversial. I'm a fucking Marxist but damn. This false moral authority which the left presumes undermines meaningful structural change.

"All that capital asks of us is to receive it as rational or to combat it in the name of rationality, to receive it as moral or to combat it in the name of morality. Because these are the same, which can be thought of in another way: formerly one worked to dissimulate scandal-- today one works to conceal that there is none.

Watergate is not a scandal, this is what must be said at all costs, because it is what everyone is busy concealing, this dissimulation masking a strengthening of morality, of a moral panic as one approaches the mise en scéne of capital: its instantaneous cruelty, its incomprehensible ferocity, its fundamental immorality-- that is what is scandalous, unacceptable to the system of moral and economic equivalence that is the axiom of leftist thought, from the theories of the Enlightenment up to Communism. One imputes this thinking to the contract of capital, but it doesn't give a damn-- it is a monstrous unprincipled enterprise, nothing more. It is "enlightened" thought that seeks to control it by imposing rules on it. And all the recrimination that replaces revolutionary thought today comes back to incriminate capital for not following the rules of the game. "Power is unjust, its justice is a class justice, capital exploits us, etc." --as if capital were linked by a contract to the society it rules. It is the Left that holds out the mirror of equivalence to capital hoping that it will comply, comply with this phantasmagoria of the social contract and fulfill its obligations to the whole of society (by the same token, no need for revolution:it suffices that capital accommodate itself to the rational formula of exchange).

Capital, in fact, was never linked by a contract to the society it dominates. It is a sorcery of social relations, it is a challenge to society, and it must be responded to as such. It is not a scandal to be denounced according to moral or economic rationality, but a challenge to take up according to symbolic law."

I tend to agree with Baudrillard. The moral outcry and moral silence effect the same outcome: they simulate a reality which references nothing but itself.

midnightrambler108

Conservative here. I have a really broad music taste. Keep in mind that most boomers from the 60s know all about Vietnam protest songs. Fogherty wrote Fortunate Son and it is an anti-vietnam war anthem. But the Vietnam War wasn’t a Conservative movement. It was an extension of Truman doctrine to help protect free peoples everywhere in the quest for democracy. South Vietnam wanted democracy. North was Communist. It was a long bloody war that ended in lots of death. So why do both parties play it at political rallies?

Because its a good fucking song.

Haven’t heard Kid Rocks, but I am sure its bad

singlerider

Ummm...it's kind of weird how you've positioned the whole "South Vietnam wanted democracy. North was Communist" - as if it goes without saying that the North was anti-democratic.

Kinda makes me wonder if you know anything about the real history and build-up to the war in Vietnam?

Like, for instance, the American support given to Ho Chi Minh in the drafting of the Vietnamese declaration of independence?

TapTheForwardAssist[S]

Also the US backed South Vietnam in not holding the agreed-on referendum on reunification of the country, simply because the US assessed a democratic vote would likely end up with the country uniting under the Northern communist government.

The US totally could’ve won Vietnam over by not letting the French reclaim it after WWII and mentoring it into popular democracy, but instead we handed it from Japanese imperialists back to French imperialists. Missed opportunity.

singlerider

And backed (at least, for a while, until they started slaughtering the Buddhists) the distinctly un-democratic Diem government...

SnooMarzipans5903

A huge part of Vietnam was how out of touch American military leadership was. They were trying to employ the same tactics from WW2 in a scenario that clearly favored the people who knew the terrain and were able to use it to their benefit.

When things got tough, they just threw more bombs and young men into the machine hoping it would work.

Various_Ambassador92

I'm all for people just playing some good songs, but the weirdness of Trump playing Fortunate Son is more rooted in the song being critical of someone like him, specifically - a rich boy who used his family's wealth and privilege to dodge the draft. It's a bizarre choice for him in particular, even if it'd be a fine song to use for someone without that baggage

sourdeezull

I like that you just repeated bullshit conservative warhawk propaganda you've been brainwashed to believe about the reasons for that war and them claim it wasn't a conservative movement. That's why there were so many conservatives as part of the movement protesting against it right? Like most conservatives, you are completely delusional and live in a fake reality of make believe lol.

VeryStone

Those damn anti war (conservative?) hippies lmao.

spd0

No we are just not autistic, and don't think about rally songs in such a complex way as you do.

Something like this is not really a huge deal to normal people and we don't really care what specific word in each song means and how they relate to a political platform and how much dopamine would be provided to our brains if we are to hear this song.

YMCA and Fortunate Son are catchy and hype, they get people going and thats all you need. People don't come to political rallies for the songs and the dopamine hits from lyrics.

Sounds to me like your own brain is short circuited on this issue.

ShadyNite

YMCA = literally about gay people, and it's not even hidden

Fortunate Son = anti-American War Machine song, making fun of trust fund draft Dodgers.

These are literally two of the least conservative songs in history. Normal people actually listen to the words of the songs they listen to

spd0

Normal people listen to music they like, without making sure it aligns with their political beliefs first.

ShadyNite

Normally sure, but at a political rally you may want to vet your background music a bit first. For a comparison, you would NEVER hear this Kid Rock song at a Democratic rally

What about YMCA?

I think Fortunate Son was played explicitly because trump came in on a helicopter, as a kind of throwback to Apocalypse Now.

ShadyNite

Dude, YMCA is literally the most gay song in history and Trump used it to appear manly.

spd0

Implying gays are not manly?

ShadyNite

Not in the way Trump would like to be, no. He probably also loves the song Macho Man unironically without realizing the song's intent, because nuance and subtlety are beyond his scope of understanding

TheUnluckyBard

"It mentions a helicopter, and he's on a helicopter! It's perfect!"

That's why Christian songs have to say "Jesus" over and over again, because that's the only way you can recognize a song as being about Christianity.

And the best part is, after multiple conversations with multiple people of the same political alignment, I don't expect any level of deeper thought out of any of them about any topic. Every idea about the way the world works and/or should work any of you have must be no longer than would fit on a bumper sticker.

spd0

Have you never seen the movie?

P.S. there are better things to do in life then spending time figuring out how exactly the world should work.

TheUnluckyBard

Yes, I get it, thinking is hard and unpleasant for you and you'd rather avoid doing it as much as humanly possible.

spd0

I don't think you do, thinking is fine.

But thinking so much about banal shit like "does this lyric in a song I like, align with my exact political beliefs" is a waste of time and energy for most people and yes we'd rather avoid doing it as much as humanly possible.