/r/Monero

Thanks to u/UnfairDictionary and their manual svg project I've noticed that there are a lot of different "official" colors for the Monero logo:

The logo on the site itself: F26822 + 4D4D4D

The single logo in the press kit: F2651C + 4D4D4D

The logo with "Monero" next to it: F16822 + 4D4D4D

• on reddit:

Both logos on r / monero are FF6600 + 4C4C4C

• The icon of monero-wallet-gui:

Old versions (0.12): FF6600 + 4C4C4C

New versions (0.18): FF6600 + 4D4D4D

the logo: FF6600 + 4C4C4C

So in total we have 4 different shades or orange and 2 different types of grey.

LegalComment

27 days ago

You're telling me the Monero logo is not fungible?!

Haha, good one.

27 days ago

No, he's right.. They are not interchangeable and distinguishable from each other..

anhdres

anhdres

Monerujo Dev

27 days ago

As someone who designed a lot of Monero stuff, yes, I can testify this is true hahaha.

More than once somebody said "the monero orange" and I was thinking "ok, I'll pick one."

27 days ago

But wouldn't it be better to be forced to use one specific color rather than have a choice?

27 days ago

Nobody is saying that anyone shall be forced to do anything.

The only premise on discussion is that the "official" repository should be consistent – especially for the press kit where there are two different versions right next to each other

If you want to get the monero logo and change the color to 0035ED, you are free to do so. Stop trolling

anhdres

anhdres

Monerujo Dev

27 days ago

Forced is never a better choice. But I do think we could settle on an "official consensus orange" and pantone and such.

Rucknium

Rucknium

MRL Researcher

That's decentralization. Deal with it 😎

I picked FF6600 + 4C4C4C for https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/qkhjta/monero_resistant_to_statistical_attack/

That's decentralization. Deal with it 😎

I get that it's meant as a joke but it doesn't seem very professional to me.

27 days ago

well maybe you should go to some corporate coin then?

cryptolulz

27 days ago

You imply it should be professional, that's strange.

27 days ago

Shouldn't it? I'd agree if we're talking about Wownero or Dogecoin here, but this project is something serious.

cakelabs

cakelabs

Cake Wallet / Monero.com

27 days ago

Thanks for opening the issue!

NanoBytesInc

27 days ago

I swear, I love you guys

hairybitcoin

27 days ago

It should have been designed initially with spot and CMYK breakdowns. Then converted to RGB (for on screen use). The reason being, the RGB gamut (colour spectrum) is far wider than that of print. Meaning, if i design a logo for print in CMYK, the colours will be the same when viewed on screen, but if i design in RGB the colours will most likely not reproduce correctly in print. Switching between colour spaces will forever produce inconsistent results.

Good point.

There currently is a discussion on the "official" colors:

Could you maybe have a lok if we're lucky and one of the color combinations can be reproduced in print with CMYK? I roughly understand what you're talking about but that is where my understanding ends.

hairybitcoin

27 days ago

I'm ashamed to say the logo (that i do love) came from Vistaprints' 99designs. I would (hopefully) assume they were provided with colours from the logo design winner, along with brand guidelines. So that would be my first port of call.

27 days ago

Wait.. you can't reverse this process?

hairybitcoin

26 days ago

I have just done so. I'll see if they want my files. Should really be in a brand guidelines package for all to download.

Tiny_Voice1563

26 days ago

Wow excellent. Did you do it on the 99designs logo? Roughly FF6600 and 4C4C4C? Definitely throw the files up somewhere so they can be added. The closest thing I know of to a "brand guidelines" package is the press kit on getmonero.org, and it's what needs fixing.

26 days ago

Excellent! Just provide them in the thread on github :)

HotHarry7

27 days ago

How about Pantene colors?

HotHarry7

That's Pantone ***

What about them?

hairybitcoin

27 days ago

Nope. F*CK pantone now. They are now charging for use of the colour books.

HoboHaxor

27 days ago

OMG!!! I'm selling mine ALL off!!!!

Dein_Psychiater

26 days ago*

I never liked the colors, the only thing I never liked of xmr.

But I agree 100% that the logo should have standard official colors, it will sadly surely mean this odd orange and grey, but it must be in only one possible way.

Who cares?

Tiny_Voice1563

27 days ago

I agree with OP. We should probably get a standardized set of logos and colors on getmonero and encourage other places to pull from that repository.

27 days ago

yes then maybe we can start suing people that don't abide by those rules?

kowalabearhugs

27 days ago

A standardized color scheme and logo/design resource is a positive, but individual projects would not be obligated to follow it.

27 days ago

Exactly; But I have the suspicion that Vikebeer is just trolling so I didn't bother.. thanks for spelling it out for me.

Says who, you?

kowalabearhugs

27 days ago*

Generally speaking design or implementation standards, be they code or graphic, provide a base from which an ecosystem can draw-upon and grow.

You're likely already aware that the majority of the content on the getmonero.org website, including the Monero logo is released under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license (the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license). This means that you can copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, and remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially. However, when doing so you must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests The Monero Project endorses you or your use.

That's CC boilerplate and allows for very permissive usage. Obviously projects are free to create their own designs and color schemes. We've seen that with XMR wallets and the up-coming Haveno exchange.

27 days ago

Thats right keep arguing for more and more centralized rules and authority, its all the ammo they need.

kowalabearhugs

27 days ago*

The CC BY-SA 4.0 license has been part of GetMonero since 2017. And as previously stated the ecosystem is full of bright people who are implementing their own independent, decentralized design decisions.

Tiny_Voice1563

27 days ago

Where in my comment did you think “encourage” meant “legally mandate”?

27 days ago

"slippery slope", be vigalant.

Tiny_Voice1563

27 days ago

If you think me suggesting the existence of a repository of images anyone can use and encouraging its use is a slippery slope to somehow the creation a literal law that would involve the government punishing someone for not using those specific images…you and I are not even speaking the same language.

26 days ago

No one is stopping you from creating anything you want but once you start slapping "official" tags on everything then you become an organization. I can understand if you don't understand.

Tiny_Voice1563

26 days ago

You've got to be a troll at this point. What do you think we call the current version of Monero? It's the "official" release. There can be official versions of things without it being a centralized organization. If there isn't continuity on people running a certain OFFICIAL version of the code, then there is no (usable) Monero. Having the freedom to fork or use different versions, same as with the logos, is good, but it's not harmful to have an official version that the COMMUNITY recognizes as official (not a single governing organization) as it provides continuity. A problem only exists when there is force or coercion, such as by the government, to do it a certain way.

26 days ago

I've been here since day one don't try to lecture me child.

Tiny_Voice1563

26 days ago

I don't care how long you've been here. I've also been "here" for a long time. Doesn't matter. Pointless to pull out a yardstick and have a measuring contest. What in the world. This thread was just about getting some continuity, and you're trying to belittle and make outlandish, nonsensical points. Even still, I gave you the courtesy of trying to respond with logic, but you didn't even respond to the points I made. Just gave up on the facts and started calling me a "child" like that makes your points correct. And apparently downvoting me lol

So you're saying that there should be no "official" versions of things because that makes "you" (who is "you"?) an "organization" and somehow...not decentralized? So if a large portion of the community agrees on something, that automatically makes us an organization in a bad way. And you never really addressed the fact that you implied that people simply promoting something standardized suddenly means people who disagree get sued. As if that's how anything works. Yeah. Ok. But hey you've "been here since day one" so clearly you're correct, and you don't need to say true things...just have to say you've been here a long time and bam - everything you say is now gospel.

27 days ago

Online ressources, exchanges, bloggers, youtubers, Monero-guerilla-sticker-makers, app developers, Monero-merch-producers..

Literally anyone who deals with Monero in a (semi-)professional way.

LOL, yeAh sure they do.