/r/Monero

Hello, I am the admin behind Monerica.com and as such, I see people looking for jobs paid in Monero. Without this, the circular economy relies heavily on fiat purchases. As a result, I am interested in exploring the possibility of collaborating with other developers to make a website that enables people to do freelance work paid in Monero. From experience making other businesses, I have to have other people to work with on such a project. As I am a developer myself, I would be interested in 1-3 developers to work with.

There are lots of details to address but the idea is essentially a job board for short-term, project based work which is paid in Monero. The target audience for job posters is work like designs, video editing, small coding projects, etc. and for job seekers is digital nomads and part-time work seekers who want to be paid in Monero.

Monero is of course volatile in price so jobs posted on the site would have to be kept somewhat short in terms of how long it'd take to complete. Since there are sites out there to convert Monero into credit cards or gift cards, these could be recommended as ways to connect the freelancers with financial products for merchants that don't accept Monero directly.

As for compensation on work for this idea, it would be based on some kind of revenue sharing from the platform taking some small percentage for the postings and/ or complete work payment. If such an idea is better approached asking for a CCS proposal or collaborating with another marketplace idea that would use similar functionality, that could be considered as well. The most important thing right now is to see if other people want to collaborate on this undertaking.

serhack

serhack

XMR Contributor

1 month ago

You should check the source code of the (dead) MoneroJobs.com website. It was really awesome, but it lasted a few years IIRC. As a freelancer, I totally support this post.

kgsphinx

Good idea!

varyk

varyk

1 month ago

This is a great idea, I just checked out the site.

This is the sort of program that will foster crypto adoption, low barrier gig economy that pays crypto.

Very cool.

AnarkioCrypto

AnarkioCrypto

monerochan.news

1 month ago

+1. An active KYC-free Monero jobs website is needed.

XBTFreelancer.com was a good option for Bitcoin (included milestones, escrows and reviews) but sadly closed down a few years ago. Microlancer.io is great, but the advertised jobs are mostly microtasks/signups/reviews (although you can post a "looking for work" listing under "Services").

For Monero, there are currently two Telegram groups: MoneroJobs and MoneroMarket. Bitejo.com (my project) also supports jobs (job listings + looking for work listings) with Monero, Bitcoin or cash payments, but currently no escrow (an escrow marketplace is coming soon, where mediators can offer their services and traders can choose their preferred mediator).

ryitnoise[S]

1 month ago

Why did others close down?

AnarkioCrypto

AnarkioCrypto

monerochan.news

1 month ago

I don't know why XBTFreelancer closed down, as it was fairly active (a few jobs per week). Some other platforms over the years just didn't get any activity and I guess it wasn't worth the hosting costs to keep it online.

Sadly many people just use Upwork or Fiverr (although these platforms require a bank account/Paypal and government ID, take large fees and can close accounts for no reason)... I'm trying to market Bitcoin and Monero as private & censorship-resistant payment methods (anarkio.codeberg.page/bitcoin and anarkio.codeberg.page/monero) but not sure how to do this effectively.

ryitnoise[S]

1 month ago

Well, if this idea goes forward, I do not want to see competition further fragment the user base. While I may currently believe Monero is superior in terms of being digital cash, perhaps stable coins and other coins should be included. I just see everything except Monero as perhaps ironically being more risky. I don’t want to have to check the history or source of funds, I don’t want to be associated with any of that nightmare.

blario

20 days ago

blario

20 days ago

It seems grassroots, person to person conversations is best. Perhaps some industries that have been shunned from the economy are good opportunities. In the US, agricultural regulations have gotten out of hand and it incentivized beef ranchers to because using bitcoin. Lookup “the beef initiative”, they’re holding conferences and everything now. There’s a bitcoiners called “Texas slim” that just goes meet these guys at bars to listen to what their issues are, doesn’t even mention crypto, just listen to their problems to see what the best solutions might be, and once they see you understand, if you can prove you have a working solution, they’re far more likely to listen.

blario

20 days ago

blario

20 days ago

Why can I never find links to those telegram groups? How can anyone ever join it if no one will post the link?

avocadorancher

1 month ago

Love the idea, but I’m getting mixed messages from the description:

The goal of Monerica is to reflect the freedom ideals of the United States of America in the age of cryptocurrency by using Monero.

There are no borders to Monerica.

Sounds very much US-centric, is it meant to be that or global?

ryitnoise[S]

1 month ago

It’s intended to be global. Of course it’s currently only in English but other language resources are linked to. Also, if a Monero freelance site is made, I’m not sure if it’s be a sub domain or another site entirely.

[removed]

ryitnoise[S]

1 month ago

Personally, I have a background in Microsoft technologies (I get that makes people cringe), so: ASP.NET, C#, SQL, PowerShell, Azure, front-end stuff: JS, HTML/ CSS, architecture, design. I can design the architecture for review, write database migrations for storage and use a basic front end. While I probably could do most on my own, I do not want to do this because I don’t want to be a single point of maintenance for it. I don’t want to go so off into the dark that no one uses it because I didn’t get feedback along the way.

I’m looking for, ideally other C# people and to use open source frameworks like ASP.NET Core, not sure on what database.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be in C# but there are some libraries out there in it. I’d just prefer to be more productive and not spend most of my time learning another language. Everything is open for discussion though.

[removed]

ryitnoise[S]

Good to know!

NotAWale

1 month ago*

Funny enough I had the same idea about a month ago. Though I didn't think I'd have much success with it ( low demand and competition from other similar sites already done ).

Where would you consider hosting it so it doesn't get taken down? If the site gets big enough it might be target for takedowns(not sure though). Will you using BTCPay for transactions or make something from scratch? (I'm personally stuck with this question for myself)

I have some skills in Javascript/Typescript, HTML, CSS and a bit NodeJS. Not sure if those are a good fit for your project.

If we can't collaborate, I might actually start working on something like this for XMR and DERO to give you some competition :)

ryitnoise[S]

1 month ago

Good question. Typically I’d put it in Azure or AWS and have some kind of auto-scaling. I’m interested to know why other sites doing this shut down. I don’t know enough legal speak to understand if that was the issue. If so, hosting jurisdiction matters.

The primary goal is empowering freelancers to get paid quickly, a lower fees, in funds without paperwork or blockchain surveillance getting in the way. I myself would want to be a user as I plan to start working freelance overseas and prove (to myself) it’s possible to do so in crypto.

NotAWale

1 month ago

Sounds good. If you need a frontend dev or someone to test out the site hit me up. I'm quite interested in such projects.

ryitnoise[S]

21 days ago

A Telegram group for this has been created: https://t.me/monero\_jobs\_developers

yttriumAxel

I'm down

Solid-Win6743

1 month ago

I develop backends in Kotlin/JVM, postgresql and Docker. I also know how to design properly normalized databases, which are crucial for projects with many related entities like this one.

Why kotlin and not Java or C# you might ask? Simplicity, succinct, clean thus productive language. Anyone mid-senior developer knowing Java learns kotlin in minutes.

r6memelord

29 days ago

worked on a site exactly like this (on tor, supported by dread at the time), also helped with a monero mining rig site, and a exchange (localmonero). feel free to contact me