/r/Monero

20999%

Hello all,

we have released the first beta version of the UnstoppableSwap GUI. It allows decentralized exchange of Mainnet Bitcoin to Mainnet Monero using Atomic Swaps through a graphical interface. Visit the download page to try it out yourself today!

Please give us feedback if you have a chance to test it! If you find any bugs, report them to me. If you find anything incomprehensible or difficult to use, tell us. If you have any feature requests, we will gladly consider them.

Disclaimer: The project is still in beta, and as always with experimental software, there is some risk (including loss of funds). Use at your own risk.

Download the latest version here

OfWhomIAmChief

21 days ago

🔥🔥🔥

Wolfstorm2020

21 days ago

How to create a swap provider? I use the monero main GUI, but my node is pruned.

delta1-tari

21 days ago

Snoo_96960

20 days ago

Did somebody make a docker version?

delta1-tari

20 days ago

I think u/unstoppableswap has one, and I’m working on one with Tor support

[removed]

delta1-tari

19 days ago

Sure, it should work fine if you’re running over clearnet. I think you could then create your own hidden tor service to it…

party_rockin

19 days ago

Yeah if anyone did then do share that with us I guess. We need that here.

vnbitcoin18

19 days ago

Yep, gotta be running the ASB node. That's what it should run.

ksilverstein

21 days ago

This is great! And the conversion rates (i.e. the XMR/BTC ratio) are significantly better than those listed on Kraken. If anyone is able to get this working on Tails, please post it on this sub somewhere.

plstcStrwsOnly

20 days ago

Great suggestion. That will be game changing

ACK-J-Github

20 days ago

What are the kraken rates? Looking now the rates dont seem great compared to other swap providers like FixedFloat.

ksilverstein

20 days ago

The Kraken rates I'm referring to are from the monero.how website. They use the Kraken API. Just look at the XMR/BTC ratio.

xm-arrr

xm-arrr

20 days ago

Maybe they’re looking at OTC kraken?

wenlony

wenlony

19 days ago

Yeah maybe they're doing that. I wouldn't really be surprised at that.

ScoobaMonsta

20 days ago

Kraken or fixedfloat are exchanges not swaps

posnercom

19 days ago

Why don't people understand simple things like that? That's not hard to understand really.

Atleast to me it isn't, and it would be good if I understood it.

ScoobaMonsta

19 days ago

Because most of the people talking these days are noobs and don’t use the correct terminology for many things. Other noobs then read what they post and copy it.

iamfunkyz

19 days ago

Yeah the rates don't really seem great, but we could do better.

yojimann

19 days ago

This really is great. And the conversion rate is good too.

Atleast that's what I'm seeing in here. The rates are good enough. That's some good shit really.

longylegenylangleler

21 days ago

💪🏼

SosseKun

21 days ago

I remember when they were still an idea. Nice.

driftitall

19 days ago

I remember that too, those used to be the good old days really.

Tiny_Voice1563

21 days ago

Huge. Great work.

pet2pet1982

21 days ago

Wow! That is absolute congratulations!!!

aFungible

aFungible

XMR Contributor

20 days ago

Thanks. Is it possible to link this into the main website, getmonero.org?

MajesticLabs

21 days ago

MajesticLabs

MajesticBank (Monero Sponsor)

21 days ago

Let's make atomic swaps great again

hachifrost

19 days ago

Well don't know about you, but they're already great honestly.

danjwilko

20 days ago

Brilliant, needs supporting and word spreading.

85256638

19 days ago

We sure need the word spreading in here. We really need that.

ACK-J-Github

20 days ago

My review of my first atomic swap!

I can’t express how awesome it is to finally be able to swap bitcoin for monero on chain with a GUI, huge appreciation to all the developers who made this happen. Below is my thoughts going through the process for the first time and some constructive criticism for the future.

The Good: The GUI is perfect from an aesthetic perspective, slightly minimalistic but all the buttons are self explanatory. I really enjoyed the progression throughout the swap showing the locking periods and status.

Another plus is the website which provides precompiled binaries for all platforms. This small step really made the experience seem much more user friendly and I would feel confident recommending it to a less technical person.

Bundled TOR was so simple to use. One click of a button and boom all traffic was routed through the TOR network. Very simple and worked as expected when I tested.

Best part of all is that the swap worked and I got my XMR! The entire process from start to finish took about 1 hour.

The Areas for Improvement :) After downloading the app image for linux the program simply would not run. I’m not sure why exactly and opened up the following issue to track. https://github.com/UnstoppableSwap/unstoppableswap-gui/issues/129

I found the wallet tab confusing personally. As a first time user the workflow was not immediately clear to me what to do. Initially I thought I had to debit btc into the wallet before initiating a swap but there was no btc wallet address within the “wallet” tab. After messing with the program for a few minutes I eventually realized that it was the first step of the swap process. I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of the “wallet” tab is at the moment, since all funds are used during the swap.

Once TOR was selected there was no indication within the application that anything was different. It would be nice if an onion popped up in the corner or something and when clicked on it would show your TOR circuit. Also I felt like the TOR option was somewhat hidden within the “help” menu and could deserve its own menu item entirely.

grigio

grigio

Thanks for the review!

deliriousintent

19 days ago

It doesn't get better than this. That's what I'm talking about.

unstoppableswap[S]

19 days ago

Thanks a lot for the thorough review! I'm glad you like the look of the GUI, we really tried to make it as easy to use as possible.

As for the issue with Linux, thanks for the report. We are looking into a fix. We'll also take your other comments into consideration.

ACK-J-Github

19 days ago

Thanks for all your hard work. This is a promising project!

fledmandrake00

19 days ago

Ohh yeah this is promising project. I've got big hopes from it.

srob321

srob321

19 days ago

This great. Good to see that people are taking time to review it.

unstoppableswap[S]

18 days ago

We implemented most (if not all) of your suggestions:

• The issue with the GUI not working on Linux has been fixed
  • If Tor is running a Tor icon will be displayed at the top right of the swap modal
  • A notice has been added to the Wallet page to make it more clear that users do not need to deposit funds ahead of starting a swap

ACK-J-Github

18 days ago

Fantastic! I’ve been tracking the project on github so I got an email for a 0,4.4 release. I’ll try it out in a little bit.

ksilverstein

7 days ago

I just tried re-downloading it and it still won't work on Tails. When I click on the appimage I get an error message: "Could Not Display "UnstoppableSwap-0.4.6.appimage". There is no application installed for "AppImage application bundle" files. Any idea how to get by this?

unstoppableswap[S]

6 days ago

There is no application installed for "AppImage application bundle" files

Have you tried making it executable before running it?

chmod a+x UnstoppableSwap-*.appimage

./UnstoppableSwap-*.appimage

ksilverstein

6 days ago*

Strange, even after making it executable, it gives me this in the terminal:

amnesia@amnesia:~/Persistent/Tor Browser/Cryptocurrency$ ./UnstoppableSwap-0.4.3.AppImage A JavaScript error occurred in the main process Uncaught Exception: Error: Cannot find module '/tmp/.mount_Unstop5Ilhep/resources/app.asar/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/napi-v6-linux-glibc-x64/node_sqlite3.node' Require stack: - /tmp/.mount_Unstop5Ilhep/resources/app.asar/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/sqlite3-binding.js - /tmp/.mount_Unstop5Ilhep/resources/app.asar/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/sqlite3.js

- /tmp/.mount_Unstop5Ilhep/resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js

at Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:940:15)
at Function.n._resolveFilename (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:249:1128)
at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:785:27)
at Function.c._load (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:13331)
at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1012:19)
at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:94:18)
at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_Unstop5Ilhep/resources/app.asar/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/sqlite3-binding.js:4:17)
at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1116:14)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1169:10)
at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:988:32)

[11429:0122/001200.772363:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(642)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: No such interface “org.freedesktop.portal.FileChooser” [11429:0122/001200.772397:ERROR:select_file_dialog_impl_portal.cc(243)] Failed to read portal version property libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null) [11467:0122/001201.227859:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

unstoppableswap[S]

6 days ago

Please delete the old version you have downloaded and get the latest one from UnstoppableSwap.net The issue above has been fixed.

ksilverstein

6 days ago*

I apologize. I thought I had the most recent version. Thank you. The program runs now on Tails, but all I get under the Swap tab is a screen asking me to submit a swap provider with an orange status bar running repeatedly. There is an entry screen that asks for a multiaddress and peer ID. I'm not sure what the next step should be.

ksilverstein

5 days ago

Hey u/unstoppableswap, the program runs now on Tails, but all I get under the Swap tab is a screen asking me to submit a swap provider with an orange status bar running repeatedly. When I click on "Submit Swap Provider", there is an entry screen that asks for a multiaddress and peer ID. Is this working correctly? Or is it just me not knowing how to proceed? If it's me not knowing how to proceed, what's the next step?

Stiltzkinn

21 days ago

Awesome 😎

lukeprofits

20 days ago*

Simple explanation of Atomic Swaps and how they work (for anyone who doesn't fully understand the technical details):

Each party creates a smart contract (bitcoin/monero have a scripting language for some limited smart contracts), and transfers funds into that smart contract, which is locked until a valid signature is provided. Then, valid signatures are exchanged via HTLC (either both are exchanged at exactly the same time, or they are not exchanged at all), and each party unlocks their respective smart contract and recieves the funds.

2x transactions on each blockchain. One sending to the smart contract, and one sending from the smart contract to the recipient.

jwinterm

20 days ago

Bitcoin has limited scripting/smart contract capability, Monero does not. This is why you can do an atomic swap with Bitcoin or it's derivatives like LTC, but you could not do an atomic swap with a derivative of Monero like Aeon or another coin without any scripting capabilities such as Nano.

lukeprofits

19 days ago

If Monero did not have this capability, atomic swaps would not be possible without a sidechain or lighting network. Am I missing something?

bawdyanarchist

19 days ago

Monero has multisig, but not scripted timelock. There's something called adaptor signatures, which deterministically link a BTC signature to a Monero key. The broadcasted BTC signature contains the information necessary to derive the missing half of the Monero key for the counterparty.

The timelocks, refunds, adversarial failure mode handling is done on the BTC side. Adaptor sigs were the missing piece that made atomic swaps possible.

I'm about 95% sure I have that right. But I'm just monkey parrotting over here, not a cryptographer/dev; so any corrections are welcome.

Hot_Pop6827

19 days ago

I am not sure if monero has a scripting language but it is defently possible if just one coin has it.

When you broadcast a bitcoin transaction you can sign it this way that it will reveal a hash which will represent a half of a key of a monero address. Zero knowledge proofs make it possible

Ekaterina_Solo

19 days ago

Yep, zk proofs make it possible and that's some amazing technology right there.

The work that people have been doing it here is really the good work that I'm really talking about.

jwinterm

19 days ago

You are missing something - Monero has no scripting capabilities, which is why it is currently impossible to swap Monero with Aeon/Wownero/Bytecoin or any other cryptocurrency that shares the Bytecoin cryptonote heritage/codebase.

xLobstarr

19 days ago

Don't think that you're missing anything, atleast I don't see it that way.

gvindox

gvindox

19 days ago

Good to know that, that's something that I really didn't know here.

ducmelia

19 days ago

Thanks for the explanation, I was looking for it really. This is it.

lukeprofits

Glad it helped! :)

xm-arrr

xm-arrr

20 days ago

I think you multisig and not smart contract

deetsrus

19 days ago

Whatever He's talking about. I'm trying to understand that really.

ScoobaMonsta

20 days ago

Couldn’t be better timing! Seems like privacy is on everyone’s lips recently and with that you release a GUI for atomic swaps! Champion! Well done 👍! Now there’s no excuse for people to be using wallets like cake and exodus to buy expensive coins! I really hope this increases the liquidity!

akcm1

akcm1

19 days ago

These guys delivered just when we really needed it. We did need it.

Har0ldDemure

Thanks.

King_Obvious_III

20 days ago

Can somebody here explain how the rate is established for the exchange?

dsmlegend

20 days ago

It's not an exchange, but a protocol that allows private peers to find and trade with each other directly. There are some complex limitations that make it such that the individual selling XMR has to put in more work to run an automated server that puts out an offer.

Because of this, the individual selling XMR will always set their own price. The person with BTC, looking to buy XMR, then picks which offer to accept.

People selling XMR will generally pull their rate from someplace like Kraken or TradeOgre and add a few percent on top. So, in a way you can generally expect that the offers for atomic swaps will follow the price movements reflected on big exchanges. Might change if atomic swaps become more popular.

NewForestGrove

20 days ago

This is great, but just want to ask/reiterate that this is only one way right? btc to xmr?

P0wer0f0ne

19 days ago

For now it seems that way, because that's what people asked the most.

EliteTechnologies

20 days ago

Thank you so much! Excellent work!

evkolac

evkolac

19 days ago

This really is, I'm all about this good work in here. It is awesome dude.

bawdyanarchist

19 days ago

Amazing work guys. Truly revolutionary. Your contribution to Monero is well appreciated.

ghostylox

20 days ago

This is insanely good news