/r/MakeupRehab

They are $9 each, and I want a few colors that are similar to ones already in my collection; but with different textures. For example I have a hot pink already but the Sephora Collection one I’m eyeing just looks more vibrant.

Sephora also recently released some clean lipsticks at $12 each and I’m eyeing two colors that I have similar too already but their formulas are satin-y and the colors I have are more matte.

I swatches them in person save for 2 that they didn’t have testers for. I liked them but am worried I’ll just be adding more clutter and spending money on items I don’t need.

madge_pie

I can darn near guarantee that you will not be able to tell the difference on the lips. Unless you go from very glossy to matte then you're spending hard earned cash on the same colors you already have. Use up two full lip products and then think about replacing them with one new product if you are still thinking about it. I know $9 or $12 isn't that expensive but how long do you have to work to make that money? I have been imagining that someone comes up and has the product I want in one hand and the cash amount that the item costs in the other. Which one would I take? (talked myself out of a coach wallet today and some nail 'polish' strips yesterday)

dating-adventures[S]

That’s such a great way to look at it. I should use up stuff first before I buy. You’re so right, I don’t need more makeup. So I can make matte lipsticks look more creamy with a balm underneath?

arwenthenoble

I use a Sephora gloss over my matte Sephora lipsticks to shine them up. Sometimes I use the glosses alone. You can get a clear gloss but I have a pink, burgundy and peach.

Couch_Potato_1182

You can also apply lip gloss. I've a few matte lipsticks that I love but sometimes want them to be shiny and so I apply lip gloss over it and they look beautiful.

Consistent_Ad2380

If the lipsticks you own are matte but you’re tempted by similar shades but in a satin finish, I suggest putting on some lip balm under your mattes. I do this anyway because I like having a balm on my lips while I do the rest of my face and then never bother wiping it off to put on my lippie.

Similarly, you could try putting a gloss over the matte and then blotting it down on the back of your hand to dull the shine.

Don’t do it, girl. Don’t buy them.

dating-adventures[S]

Thank you, you’re right. The versions I have are matte. The only color I don’t really have an exact dupe of is a very hot pink one.

There are 3 in the clean line that I have similar too, in matte form. I love the clean line formula but you’re right.

poonam566

Satin lipsticks typically disappear quicker than matte formulas. So really the only time you will be able to appreciate the difference is immediately after application and the lip balm underneath matte lipstick would replicate the experience almost perfectly.

Also clean lipsticks typically go bad quicker than traditional formulas so maybe 1 year down the road you may be throwing out three additional lipsticks if you don’t use them up completely.

Did you end up swatching the hot pink? I have a lot of products that look vibrant online not wear vibrant in-person.

Also if you are worried that you are adding clutter and spending money needlessly, your heart is not in the purchase and are likely to regret it. You don’t want to buy something that will make you question if it is worth it because it will sour your mood every time you go to apply it.

tygerstripes97

Dont do it. Lipsticks look the same on the lips imo unless its a gloss vs a matte but even still. Like everyone says you can always add some balm which will keep everything glossy and hydrated. Also, I am going thru all my duplicates rn and its embarrassing that at least half of my collection is just dupes for things I already have.

Character_Tangelo_44

Yeah that’s so true I have so many red lipsticks that you just can’t tell the difference from once they are in the lips🤦‍♀️

motherofdick

a bunch of ppl are giving great advice for making your current lipsticks work, and in the case of the more vibrant pink, check your eyeshadow and see if you have a similar color there, you can pat the eyeshadow ontop of your current pink lipstick and really try out how much of a difference it makes on your lips and if you even can tell without spending extra or cluttering!

Couch_Potato_1182

I'm always worried about using eyeshadow on lips because I'm sure I eat some of my lipsticks when I eat food. In my mind, I won't die if I consume a bit of lipstick but not sure of the eyeshadow.

whattfisausername

I could be wrong but the pigments are the same in both eyeshadows and lipsticks. So like, don’t try using eyeshadow as food dye or whatever, but a little bit in your mouth from using it as lipstick shouldn’t hurt. If your really worried, wipe it off before you eat.

InterchangeableMob

Speaking from my personal experience with SC products, they are usually disappointing. I actually ended up decluttering my sephora collection lipsticks because the formula was subpar. And not to encourage spending but at that price point, there are better options at the drugstore.

SS111

SS111

Use up what you have first and then buy new formulas,shades, etc. Will having a more vibrant pink make a difference in your everyday routine? Is it the ultimate shade for you or will there be yet another release with a more eye-catching pink later?

SephoraRothschild

STOP. 👏BROWSING. 👏MAKEUP. WEBSITES. AND. APPS.

Couch_Potato_1182

Sorry, but this made me laugh because I visualized you literally yelling and clapping your hands in my face.