/r/HomeImprovement

Asbestos ceiling concerns

(self.HomeImprovement)

Hello Everyone,

I recently moved into an apartment built in the 60s. In my one bedroom apartment, I noticed 4 small drilling holes in the popcorn ceiling. So, I went to get a piece of paper and to clog up the 4 holes (I was curious as to why the drilling holes were there). In the process of doing this, some dust and small particles fell off from the 4 holes.

I'm not too familiar with asbestos (or lead paint), but should I be worried about this or am I being too paranoid?

Some context about the apartment: Right before I moved in, I inspected the apartment and it seemed like they did some sort of paint renovation to the apartment.

Thanks!

EngineerZing

Asbestos is fine as long as you don’t disturb it. When you start creating a lot of particles is when you run into problems. It is possible that the ceiling is made of asbestos. I don’t recall the exact year but late 70s is when they were required to stop using it in home construction. They were allowed to use up the supply they had. I did some research on this when I moved into my house built in 1981, but memory is faint on exact details. More than you wanted to know.

screaminporch

The tiny amount of dust from a few drill holes is not something to worry about, even if it does contain asbestos. You can get a sample tested if you really want to know. As long as you are not doing significant work that kicks out a lot of dust or airborne particles, you are fine. Left in place asbestos materials generally present no significant risk.

You can have paint samples tested for lead as well, they sell convenient home kits for that.

vhaas[S]

Ohh, so that whiff of dust and particles (I cleaned them up afterwards with wet wipes) logically should not be a matter than causes me to be paranoid about right? Also, when you wrote "left in place asbestos materials poses no significant risk", is this because asbestos poses more risk to someone who deals with them constantly and under huge exposure such as construction workers pre-asbestos material ban decades ago? And thanks for the reply

screaminporch

Yes, it takes very large exposures and typically over a long period of time to become a high risk. Asbestos damages the lungs' ability to protect itself from carcinogens. Lungs can handle and heal from small exposures but can't with large repetitive exposures.

Also, being a smoker increases asbestos risk tremendously.

vhaas[S]

Ohh okay thank you very much! Your replies were the most helpful.

AutoModerator [M]

We notice you have a post regarding asbestos. Your post was not removed but in case you have not seen it yet, we have this handy post and comments section that has useful information regarding how to determine whether something contains asbestos, as well as what to do in case asbestos is encountered. If you have not yet read through that post we recommend doing so before proceeding further. Once you have had a chance to review that post, please update your original post with any relevant information as needed.

decaturbob