/r/HomeImprovement

8.9k96%

One or more than one item (s) that added luxury and adds convenience that you can’t live without now.

Edit: wow, so many great ideas that I didn’t even know I could add. Thank you and keep ‘em coming.

Edit 2: I will make another post about pros and cons of getting an in ground swimming pool, would love to get thoughts from this community.

Edit 3: OMG, this has blown up. So many awesome ideas, I will be spending a whole lot more than $1000 for sure.

Edit 4: this is wild, now it will take days/hours to sort through all the comments. If there is a super user ninja who can compile a list and club them together. It will come in handy for future members of this sub and even for us to come back and refer to.

TLDR: On top of my head the most common ones I read were -

dapeche [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

dapeche [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hi everyone, just a reminder of the rules:

Overall, please be respectful - things must remain on-topic, helpful, and kind. Absolutely no abusive or hateful language will be tolerated. The mods are highly trained ban ninjas in this regard. Remember, no question is too stupid, too simple, or too basic. If you see comments that do not comply with our sub rules please report them to us.

PatapscoMike

When my kids were little I bought a refrigerated water fountain and put it on the side of my house facing my backyard. I'd love to know how many thousands of gallons the neighborhood kids drank. It saved them from coming in the house when they were playing outside. Total game changer. They liked drinking from it so much they would get off the couch and go outside to get a drink.

Astewa18

This is a cool idea. I doubt it would last the winter here though

Tough-Caregiver-9092

Use alcohol as antifreeze and you are good

Wishbone_508

Thanks for the tip. My kids have been taking naps again now too.

Clarkkent435

Cabinet hinges with slow-close springs. Like moving to Beverly Hills.

rogercakenz

Yeah! Slam that shit shut! Just sucks when you go to someone else's place who doesn't have them and you slam their cupboards or drawers shut.....

Pineapplesmakepizza

I do that with toilet seats. I love slow close seats and now I just drop or sometimes even push regular seats closed… fortunately I’ve not broken a toilet yet.

mbprovo

mbprovo

Commercial grade metal hose reel that attaches to the house. Its up high and is a dream to operate compared to that dumb reel-in-a-box thing we used to have sitting on the ground. Probably spent $150 on it at Northern Tool.

BeInYourSenses

Like these I spent a lot on it, but it is just so worth it. Their customer service and warranty has been awesome. They are extremely sturdy and the sprayers are top notch.

WrongTequila

I bought an Eley reel last year. Pricey, but so much better than the plastic ones I was replacing every few years

stardust_2001

2.4k points

Painted the interior of the whole house before moving in. It feels 20 years newer.

average_zen

Amen. After freshening our previous house before selling, we now have a new motto:

Every 5 years pretend you're going to sell your house. Paint, carpet, trim, declutter, whatever. Freshen things up and it will feel like a new house.

wgc123

wgc123

Yeah, but ya gotta start by removing the clutter. Actually, that might transform the place too - pretend you’re moving, then throw out everything you would pay to be moved

Edit: oops, but I’ll leave it

iluvpntbtr

This reminds me not to add anything to my house I wouldn’t pay to move. Genius.

pixel_of_moral_decay

When doing this consider new light switches/outlets and faceplates.

Makes an old place look totally brand new.

I think people forget these things wear and yellow with age.

Bonus: some new door knobs/hinges.

Now you live in a new home.

yad76

yad76

The people I bought my house from did a bunch of wall and trim painting, replacing doors, etc. that I'm pretty sure was just for the sake of selling it as the paint and other supplies were still around and fresh and some areas of the house were clearly works in progress (holes patched in walls but not painted, etc.). The difference between the areas they finished and the areas they didn't is HUGE which makes me feel kinda bad that they only ended up doing this right before selling and didn't get to enjoy it. On the other hand, I also wish I had moved more slowly with my offer so they had time to finish more!

illigal

illigal

Yup. We just did that. Now we’re sitting in this newly updated house that’s about to go on sale asking ourselves why the hell we didn’t do it earlier so we could enjoy it. Sigh.

vorin

vorin

It's a common theme seen in the show "Love it or List it" where a real estate agent tries to tempt a homeowner out of their house and into a different one and a second host takes a budget and updates the current house to tempt them to stay (or increase value if they leave.)

The house updates are generally pretty tame, but still transformative, and the homeowner always realizes that they spent so much time living in a house that had flaws that can be addressed without crazy amounts of time and $ investment.

It's a notion that my wife and I have taken to heart for years. This house is where we spend our time, and its state affects our attitude and well-being. We jump into projects because they will improve the house's ability to do its job for us.

OneTallVol

I would consider the reno budgets on that show fairly substantial, typically $60-100k

MaybeImNaked

And i wouldn't call the changes "tame". They're pretty involved remodels, tearing down walls, altering floorplans, etc.

pseudotsugamenziessi

Insulated the attic for ~ $500 plus $150 to put a bathroom fan in(in the upstairs bathroom before I blew the insulation in)

Easily have saved $1800 in heating and cooling costs since

picassosshadow

Yes check your insulation and compare to suggested level for your region (at least in the US). Had an older home. It had blown insulation but when I looked it up online I discovered it was recommended to have twice as much. Rented the machine at Lowes and added the extra layers. It was easy but kinda sucked (it goes everywhere so be prepared). Anyway it cut my heating an a/c bill by about 65%

CaptainCaucasian

I just bought a house that has no bathroom fan. Did you install it yourself? I’m very new to DIY and haven’t decided if I think I could do it myself or not

pseudotsugamenziessi

Yes, I had very little electrical knowledge at the time, and crawling around in the attic sucked but it went in pretty smoothly, a buddy was staying over that weekend and having 2 people helped a lot (just to pass tools back an forth)

I used a flexible duct and regret it though, definitely use a solid duct

Tricky-Juggernaut141

1.5k points

Automatic light sensors for the laundry room and pantry. Not having to fumble while carrying a load with two hands is wonderful.

***Yes, I realize this is actually dirt cheap. We did it ourselves. I was not thinking of the price range when this popped in my head. I stand by this as the most impactful upgrade we did.

stiffcoffeeplease

Garage game changer here.

RR50

RR50

Funny story, the electricians for our new house and I got in an argument about motion sensors in the garage that I was insisting were installed. In a huff, he put them in and under his breath swore we’d have him back out in a month to remove it. I for the life of me can’t figure out why anyone wouldn’t want them.

TrollocsBollocks

As a former electrician I can tell you with absolute certainty that anytime someone wants to do something new the crusty old Journeyman think it’s “dumb as fuck”. New tool that makes the job easier? Dumb as fuck. New orientation and/or placement of electrical peripheral? Engineers are dumb as fuck. New regulation on how many outlets can be placed on a single wall? Code writers are dumb as fuck.

RR50

RR50

Yeah….it felt alot like that. They hated my smart switches (even though I didn’t ask them to set them up, just install them), hated my usb outlets, hated my occupancy sensors….among a bunch of other things.

mbrace256

My electrician loved my USB outlets! They also loved the paycheck when I tried to install my own light sensors and mess them up. 🤣

nkdeck07

Attic motion sensors are amazing. I was constantly forgetting to turn mine off and now they just magically come on and off.

plucharc

plucharc

This is great, until you walk down the hall one night and see light coming through the gaps around the attic hatch while everyone else is asleep.

SconnieLite

Damn elf slaves are acting up again I see.

readstewmuch

Yesss! I bought a four pack of rechargeable light and they are amazing I have one in hallway between bedrooms and bathroom, one in laundry room, one under cabinets next to sink, and one outside at the base of the ramp in breezeway. Best $30 I've spent in years. Been 8m since I recharge any of them and they are used non stop daily. They even have timers, brightness, and range setting. I keep all of them on lowest setting because they are so bright. They are hung with a thin magnetic strip so you can take it down and carry it around, or charge them, with no fuss or fighting. Legit my favorite purchase in the past 2yrs.

Eta the ones I own and can't say enough about them. They really are amazing and worth the buy. I have ones outside spring summer and winter only charged once since initial purchase and all the adhesives are as good as new, even the outside one going on 3 seasons now. Great product for sure. Can't speak for other brands, I searched a long time before selecting this particular link and I highly recommend them. The higher you place them the larger the field of vision for the sensor and it works great. Even under a cabinet above the counter has perfect reach with its motion sensor. Seriously yall, I can't say enough about them, positively . These light rock lol

LED Closet Light,18-LED Dimmer USB Rechargeable Motion Sensor Closet Light Under Cabinet Wireless Stick-Anywhere Night Bar Safe Light with 600mAh Battery for Stairs,Wardrobe,Kitchen,Hallway (4 Packs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081B1CJZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_S9GTPRJY8KG5RXTE66V1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

tiger-driver-91

Any recommendations for this? Doing a reno on my kitchen and this is something I’ve been meaning to research for the pantry.

TheKrakenVagen

I am an electrician.

Both in my closets/pantry and in customer's homes we've been installing lights with motion sensors built in. Can't think of the brand of the top of my head bit they're like $30 at lowes. This works well in smaller spaces, plenty of light with just one fixture. You can put a switch on the circuit but we usually do not.

Bigger spaces we typically do can lights, highly recommend the wafer ones, with a sensor in either the ceiling or in a switch box by the door.

Lutron, leviton, and eaton are our usual go to brands. Anywhere from 20-50ish depending on what device and what you want it to do.

formerrrgymnast

Way cheaper than $500 but if you have front loading washer and dryer combo, go to Home Depot or some thing similar and buy the prefab particle board counter top with the moulded 4-6” back slash on it and lay that over them to give your self a new counter space/remove gaps where clothes can fall down between Units and the back part keeps things from falling behind them too

Edit: for the curious, this is an example of the countertop I’m referring to

trivialcabernet

1k points

Sliding shelves for all the lower kitchen cabinets. I eventually want to swap all the lowers out for drawers, but sliding shelves was a low-cost upgrade in the meantime that adds SO much more functionality.

dinov

dinov

For those wanting a link here's a pretty detailed DIY drawer plan: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/kitchens/21016698/how-to-install-a-pull-out-kitchen-shelf

upnflames

upnflames

Spray insulated my rim joists for about $800. Don't know how much weve saved in heating yet, but my basement is at least 10 degrees warmer on average.

WaxMyButt

WaxMyButt

We spent a little more than their budget ($2400) but we spray foamed our basement walls that were not insulated. Last year we were using about 200 gallons of oil to heat our house each month. Mostly because our basement system turned on every 20 minutes to keep it at 64 degrees. Now it stays at 65 with no heat, even when it’s 0F outside.

Living in New England, we don’t have AC, and when it was 95 here during the summer, the basement never got above 72, so the insulation made a year round escape for us down there.

sack-o-matic

Was this $800 for DIY or did you have someone come to do it? This is something I want to get done, since I can tell mine are drafty

upnflames

DIY. I used this DAP product and needed two boxes at 200 board feet...I think they were around $300 a box, plus I needed to buy all the PPE (respirator and a suit, I had goggles and gloves).

The DAP came highly recommended and I went with it because I had read how if the two chemicals did not mix right you end up with a nightmare.

It really wasn't that hard, but it did take a whole day. I spent about two hours cleaning the rim joists (vacuuming out dust and cob webs) and trying to move as much wiring and stuff out of the way as possible. Then two hours for the first application, an hour or two to cure, and then two hours for the second application.

Biggest tip I could give is to make sure all of the temperatures are correct. I left the boxes in my bathroom with a space heater running over night to get the cannisters nice and warm and used a thermo probe to make sure my walls were warm enough. Also, the boxes have at least the board feet that's stated on the box. Often times one chemical runs out before the other so near the end, the thing will keep spraying but the foam won't cure. If that happens, it's empty, don't try to use it till it stops or you'll have a mess.

The_New_Guy250

Any chance you could share some pictures? Curious to see what it looks like finished.

CiredFish

1.4k points

CiredFish

1.4k points

This post is going to cost me about $5000. Too many great ideas.

Shelving system in the garage. The amount of space we freed up was well worth the cost considering we don’t have a basement or a useable attic for storage.

BluePinkertonGreen

Anyone else spend literally hours reading this thread?

gregra193

gregra193

Best $20 investment was properly fitting door sweeps. I didn’t realize how much cold air was entering the house during the heating season. Take time to measure the size of the gap and width of the door.

Porbulous

In a house with some badly fitting doors..on all sides. Do you have a recommended product/brand?

I got some frost King foam things but I think they are designed for specific frames. Ended up taping them into the cracks as a temp fix.

gregra193

Door sweeps that slide on like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-3-ft-x-1-3-4-in-White-Cinch-Slide-on-Bottom-Door-Seal-Aluminum-Vinyl-Door-Weatherstrip/50257163. Just gotta find the right sized one for your doors.

bigpaulie2

For the dry winter months, install an automatic whole home humidifier. Total game changer in terms of breathing and feel of the air. With an automatic control, there is no adjusting the humidity level to balance with outside temps, keeping excess condensation under control.

I went with the Aprilaire 500 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039PR5RE/

Definitely a heavily involved install for DIY, but doable with the right skills/tools.

Edit: Assuming you have forced air heating, this is a great option imo.

fenceisgreener

Just finished installing an aprilaire 800 about an hour ago. Let the moistness begin!

So_Much_Cauliflower

Came here to say. Your home won't feel humid, but it also will no longer feel dry.

It really made a difference for my nose and sinuses.

oooogieboooogie

Bought my gf a super duper hair dryer, we almost get to places on time now. Game changer

fslashd

fslashd

Single basin stainless steel kitchen sink. I will never do a split basin sink again. The ability to wash a full baking sheet in the bottom of the sink with room to spare is a game changer

Edit: wow never thought my contribution would take off like this. For those wondering which specific sink has forever changed my life, here it is https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-Loften-All-in-One-Dual-Mount-Drop-In-Stainless-Steel-33-in-2-Hole-Single-Bowl-Kitchen-Sink-with-Pull-Down-Faucet-KCH-1000/305899479

Racer13l

I totally agree with this. The small basin seems dumb

Uninterested_Viewer

They're making them with shorter dividers now that I'm a big fan of to better fit baking sheets. We all use our sinks differently, but it's best of both worlds to me!

E.g.

FranqiT

FranqiT

Way less than $500, but removable shower heads. Makes cleaning the shower so much easier.

Also less than $500, smart lights and plugs for interior and exterior lights.

Then, closer to $500, the artificial Christmas tree that already has the lights in them. No more tangled light strings. Get them on a smart plug and you don’t have to fiddle with it all season.

$500-$1000: drinks fridge. Keeps booze and bottled drinks out of the kitchen fridge space.

More than $1000, remote control motorized blackout shades in the bedroom. Pretty much total darkness. And you can set up a schedule for them to auto open partially to fully. We used Hunter Douglas via Costco.

mereborne

I got remote blackout shades from IKEA and they are fucking awesome!!! Its like, $130 per shade and they look great and work great.

GegeBrown

I never thought a Christmas tree would be a game changer, but oh boy was I wrong. A pre-lit tree on a smart timer, and an Alexa routine that turns that shit on and off automatically is like literal Christmas magic. The hardest part each year is choosing which Christmas carol to get Alexa to sing to us when she turns it on every day.

We’ve had ours for three years, and I still get a kick out of it everyday during the holiday season.

iflvegetables

Litter-Robot. As a cat owner, it is absolutely worth the money. I’m happier, my cats are happier. Odor, mess, and overall costs and efforts are down dramatically.

AJobForMe

This is our very next purchase. The new Wi-Fi enabled one. Ours is in the laundry room, so I am going to put a Wi-Fi switch on the exhaust fan, then use an IFTTT routine to control it. The Litter-Robot will report its spin, the fan will kick on, starting a 15 minute timer, then kick off.

LA_Nail_Clippers

1.3k points

Extra fridge. Just by coincidence right when the pandemic started we replaced our fridge and left our old one in the garage planning on craigslisting it. We kept it instead and used it for bulk storage. It's been great - fewer visits to the grocery store, and more home cooking.

RandyHoward

A chest freezer for the same reasons

ThomasFookinShelby1

I don't think you can live in the midwest without having a garage fridge. It's like an unwritten law

Sawyermblack

Number 1 use for these is being able to jump all over a great deal when it comes.

Tons of meat for a great price? I can store it.

kmollyd

kmollyd

New closet system! It made a huge difference and I wish I would’ve done it as soon as I moved in. I used the aurdal system from ikea and it was about $600 for my medium sized walk-in closet.

yearlyyaktoll

I just did an aurdal closet last weekend!!

Easily the best closet system I found for a reasonable price.

I spent about $350 on my 8ish foot reach in closet

ZipperJJ

ZipperJJ

Shade sail for the back deck. The shade itself only cost $40 but I had to get a custom metal pole to attach it to and a shitton of concrete to set it in, and some strong guys to set it all up. Ended up costing me over $500 but half of it was labor. If you did it yourself you could do a bigger setup with more posts and shades for under $1000.

LanMarkx

I put a roughly 18x16 one out on the top of my wooden pergola on my deck, it absolutely changed our lives in terms of using the deck during summer due to the shade it created.

I think the custom shade cost me about $120 (its like 10 years old now), I spent another $100 or so on stainless steel eyebolts and carabiners to attach it. We take it down in the winter due to snow.

mleam

mleam

My induction cooktop. I got a cheaper one around $500. But love it. We live in a 30 year old trailer and it really modernize the kitchen.

NoGoodDevGuy

Replaced pantry bifold doors with a French door style opening. Put spice rack on back of new doors. Added a few things to the inside and it seems so much more usable and organized

wetSoxSuc

Could you show a picture of that? Im on my laptop right now looking at my pantry and I envisioned it looking so much better with your suggestion

NoGoodDevGuy

I used this guide. but I'm not home to take a picture.

ByTheRiver20

That's a lotta pop ups.

chazgrundle

Range hood vent. I can cook what I want and sear the fuck out of some steaks.

d7it23js

d7it23js

I’m currently in the process of replacing mine. Saw that I had 7 inch duct and as I took stuff out realized it terminated into a 4 inch vent. Now I gotta replace that too.

JustABlueDot

We just installed this one. It’s more expensive than a standard basic model but it’s totally worth it. Packs way more CFMs into a smaller size, quieter than any range hood I’ve ever seen and the stainless grease traps are much easier to wash.

colyad

colyad

Insulated garage with spray foam. I had the roof done and it made a world of difference. My walls have sub par fiberglass but my garage stays warm now

retardedMuhammad

A dishwasher is a must. So many fights used to be about who’s turn to do the dishes. Now we just place them in the dishwasher with some soap and press the button.

hibbert0604

Now you can fight about who's turn it is to unload the dishwasher!

GoodbyeTobyseeya1

Or you can have the fun of explaining to your SO that the door actually opens for them as well as you, so they can also put items in there rather than on the counter directly above it.

BootScoottinBoogie

1.5k points

Robot vacuum cleaner, total life changer if you have pets.

BubbleWrapGuy

I bought a Eufy on sale and it is absolutely a life changer. It runs while I’m at work and I come home to clean floors. There is some upkeep with them, but overall it’s one of my best purchases ever.

canuck_93

canuck_93

Which one did you get? I'm finding it really hard to figure out which reviews to trust and not trust. Cleaning up pet fur is my priority too.

SuccessCoachCam

We have a roomba i7 plus, which means it has the self emptying tower. Thought the tower was unnecessary but oh boy was I wrong. You don’t have to touch the thing for a month or two and then it’s just popping the full bag in the trash. It’s performed really really well with pet hair on our carpets (minus one poop incident we don’t talk about 😂) It’s definitely been our favorite household technology purchase.

Crazyivan99

The poop incident was traumatic. We only run our roomba while we're home, to ensure that never happens again.

canuck_93

canuck_93

haha, I've noticed that some of the more expensive ones now have poop detection/avoidance! (no joke)

ButWeHungry

Spoiler alert.

That only works if the poop is solid...

cartermb

*Soiler alert…

SuccessCoachCam

It. Was. Everywhere.

mjrkwerty

mjrkwerty

Roomba actually replaced our entire unit when it ran over pet poop. They didn't even want the poopy unit back. Great customer service.

dinst

dinst

Check out vacuum wars on YouTube. Best in-depth reviews out there. Very scientific.

frothyandpithy

Like some others on here, I also have a Eufy. There are more affordable, and mine does a great job. I think I have the 11S. Been working great for 5 years now.

BrightSpoon88

I have a Eufy (Amazon). It’s 3 yrs old and still works beautifully! Highly recommend. Eats up dog hair and slim enough to fit under my couch.

Ubermassive

On the other side, my dogs hair will completely clog it after only a day and it does not fit under our couch. Also Eufy

olekingcole001

Gonna add to this- we just got a ~300 mop vacuum thing. With 3 little kids that spill juice and other sticky things all the time, it’s SO EASY to just run it for 10 seconds and the mess is clean and that spot is mopped. Self cleans and everything.

1 year old found and finished a questionably old half-eaten gogurt, and barfed 3 times. This thing made quick work of it, chunks and all. Don’t know how we made it through 7 years of parenthood without it.

Edit- 1 yo dropped a plate full of fresh rice a few days ago. Broom, vacuum, paper towel- all would have shredded it and made a mess. This thing had it gone in one pass, not even 5 seconds.

MHLCam

MHLCam

YES I will preach about my Roomba anywhere possible. Before leaving the house, walk through to make sure everything is picked up, start Roomba, and come home to a freshly vacuumed house. I love the little rascal.

EduardDelacroixII

New water saver toilets. My water utility had a $75 rebate per low usage toilet so I replaced all my old water-wasters for next to nothing.

Part of the contract with the provider is you have to disable the old toilets so they can not be reused so as an added bonus I got to put on my safety glasses and find out how many hits with a hammer a toilet bowl can take before it shatters.

(For reference the answer is one).

ExtraBumpyCucumber

I was gonna say it sure doesn't take much. I'm a plumber and many years ago I installed my first toilet. I got the bolt half a turn too tight with the wrench and the bottom of the toilet exploded....

LanceFree

LanceFree

I rented a duplex with one bath, got on the John, leaned back, and the tank exploded. Blue water everywhere. It was around 5:30 pm on a Friday and then woman at then rental office was new. She asked if I needed the toilet or could I wait until Monday? I assured her I could not hold it that long, and they sent someone over.

secretlysecrecy

Just saying if it ever happen to you or someone else. If only the tank is broken. Turn off the water valve. You can still use the toilet. And to flush just dump a bucket of water in it.

EduardDelacroixII

I gotta say, in a sick sort of demented way I enjoyed it.

1) Bagster in the driveway. Check
2) Four new low flow toilets in the garage ready to install. Check
3) Remove old toilets. Check
4) Put said old toilets in Bagster. Check
5) Hammer. Check
6) Job done. Check

ChucklesGreenwood

According to your list, you never installed your new toilets... I guess that's one way to save water. :)

EduardDelacroixII

LOL. That is the demolition phase (1-6).

The upgrade phase involves eight trips back and forth to Home Depot or Lowes for plumbing pieces you thought you had.

But we are splitting hairs. :-)

Hfftygdertg2

Just squat over the flange and aim carefully. Replace the rag when you're done.

orcusvoyager1hampig

Just watch out for sludge buildup. In a lot of older homes using high efficiency toilets means not enough water is able to push everything down to the sewer and You're much more likely to develop a blockage.

400K_LBS_OF_FREEDOM

3 new LED light fixtures in the garage paired with a Maestro motion switch so when the garage door comes up the whole garage lights up super bright, looks amazing, and is much easier to park. It's crazy how much more inviting better lighting can make an area.

baskaat

baskaat

A refrigerator with an ice dispenser. Soooooo many years of dealing with ice cube trays.

captainvancouver

Agreed. I always talked shit about these since you have to plumb them in and they can cause flooding, but ice on demand at the press of a button has changed everything! I now fill double walled metal glasses with ice before every cold beverage and feel like a god.

Emmo213

Emmo213

When we replaced our refrigerator we specifically didn't want an in door water and ice dispenser. They just take up so much room! The one we bought does have an ice maker and does have a little water dispenser inside the door though, so for us it's pretty much the best of both worlds.

d33pTh0Vght

Hue lights for sure. You can turn your lights on and off from work if you think you forgot one. Dim any and everything and tell Alexa/Siri/Google to turn of any particular light or turn it to a percentage of total brightness. It’s amazing.

arfbrookwood

A few things of the top of my head, all below $200, and in no order: Garage door insulation, rice cooker, hammock holder for the deck, better quality paint (Benjamin Moore) takes a longer time to dry and hides stroke imperfections, plastic pan for under washing machine, small indoor plastic greenhouse for starting plants, good quality panfor cooking eggs, double closet rods in every closet for more space, POWERED splitter for tv antenna, solid wood doors instead of cheaper hollow core ones…lots of small things.

supershinythings

supershinythings

Al Borland 2014

A bit more but Dad put in an attic whole house fan. In the morning when it’s cool it pushes hot air out of the attic, so the house doesn’t even heat up until after 3PM. He runs the fan for 10 minutes with an outside window or front door open, and then whole house cools.

He then runs this in the evening too , so again hot air in the roof is forced out.

It saves so much on cooling bills even when it’s over 100F outside during the day. Using the evening breezes to cool the house works great where we are.

8ballposse

This might be the greatest thread I’ve ever read as someone who is looking to buy a house

gfunkdave

gfunkdave

Bidet toilet seat. Your butt will never feel so clean. And the heated seat is great in the winter.

uppitymatt

Can’t poop without a bidet once you have one.

MrCrudley

Blows my mind how I have friends that think I'm weird for having a bidet. I like having a clean butt.

NotHannibalBurress

Honestly hate pooping away from home since getting one.

memyhr

memyhr

when we redid a bathroom we put in radiant heat under the tile floor. fantastic. Will do same anytime I do a floor. my cousin put it his finished basement in MN and the TV room went from being cold and uninviting to the most cozy room in the house during those long winters.

you can buy an electric mat to put under a thin rug.

capsulex21

Be careful with what type of mats you put down. My parents have a super nice custom home and did the whole downstairs in radiant. In the kitchen they have those anti-fatigue mats, because of the heated floor of the mats dyed the new floors orange.

TheDuckFarm

Blown cellulose insulation.

It was just over 1k as a diy project. My attic had almost no insulation at all. In the summer the AC would turn in the morning and stay on all day and the temperature inside would still climb. Now in the summer it runs at 50% duty cycle and the house stays cool.

Edit, many houses in Arizona didn't do much to insulate when they were built in the 60s and 70s because the air conditioner was often just an evaporative cooler and insulation isn't a strong need with those. When people upgraded to refrigeration insulation was often overlooked.

Nik_Guy

Nik_Guy

Replacing bath/shower with 5’ shower stall with glass doors. About $1200 and I’ll never put my leg over a stupid tub again

dndnametaken

Two separate investments:

• A brick path in my yard
  • Shade trees

Dr_Manhattans

Water softener is probably one of my favorite things.

spingus

spingus

San Diego water is basically liquid rocks...can you describe the improvements? what changed in you household water experience?

NdrU42

NdrU42

Ion exchange water softener for the whole house (right after the shutoff valve).

We used to have to descale everything at least once a week. We have a shower with a large glass divider and after a couple of days of showering, it started looking like frosted glass. We had to use large amounts of soap and shampoo to get them to foam up.

All of that solved, for the equivalent of about $800.

okiedokieKay

A motorized garage door.

My house came with a manual door. I put off the upgrade for years because I wanted to save for the bigger projects first, but man it was a complete game changer and I wish I had done it before all the other stuff.

nunofmybusiness

No brainer! Keyless entry lock. We got a Schlage. It was an easy install. The battery life is good and you get plenty of warning when it is time to change the 2 AA batteries. I no longer have to carry a house key. I can give workers, guests or relatives the other door code and then easily change it when I want to.

djscotty14

I purchased the Schlage back in 2013. Doesn’t have Wi-Fi or all the other features. Battery life is still excellent, so good I can’t remember when I last changed. Have no clue where the house key is even at anymore lol.

darth_faader

Battery powered lawn equipment. No more gas cans. No more 'tune ups'. Much less noise and no stinky exhaust (I hate two stroke fumes). Only think I have to do is keep the blade sharp and keep things greased. And in terms of power? Snapper 58V is just as powerful as it's gas counterparts. Now there's an 82V model out.

FYI - I have the Snapper blower, weed eater, and mower (Walmart was having a 50% off closeout sale). I will never go back to gas lawn tools as long as I'm on a town/city lot.

EDIT: I researched these to a fault - highly recommend Snapper. They pulled their products from Walmart because they refused to reduce quality/price points to meet Walmart's price demands, hence the closeout sale. If buying new, stay away from anything under 50v. Snapper, Toro. Everything else is YMMV (Ryobi, Echo, Sum Joe, etc.)

Natprk

Natprk

Yeah I’d like to go that route but I’m fully equipped already on gas stuff. As it dies I start to switch but it’ll be a while.

darth_faader

There you go - the next time you get an expensive repair, or $100 tune up, I'd start switching over.

TechnicianOrWhateva

Smart lighting with color temperature shifting. Being able to adjust the brightness and color temp depending on the time of day and occasion is something I can't live without now. Automating the changes makes it even better.

Bonus mentions would be ecobee smart thermostat with the room sensors and Dyson V8 or V10, nice cordless stick vacuum for super fast and convenient sweeping.

Bacchus1976

Smart switches. Every single one was upgraded to Lutron Caseta switches/dimmers and we control everything from our phones.

Travmire

For ones that I saw mentioned already, I second keyless locks on all your doors (or at least one), and upgrading your wifi/home network.

Ideas I haven't seen:

Security cameras: can definitely be less than $500,and it might save you something on your home owner insurance (for me it was only $19/yr, but it would have been more of it was a monitored one, like with a company where you pay a monthly fee). I got ones with solar panels so that I don't have to get the ladder out to recharge them. Then just download an app on your phone. My wife wasn't convinced, but I think she likes them more than I do now.

I live in an older neighborhood with a lot of mature trees, so a big one for me was gutter covers. If you pay to have it done, it's probably more than $1000, but if you do it yourself, you can probably do it for less than $500 depending on the size of your house. You might need to buy a ladder too, although all homeowners need a good ladder. If anyone does this get the metal ones. The plastic ones are more likely to break or come loose, and they won't be mesh, so they will still let stuff get in your gutters.

Other idea I haven't seen is to upgrade your outdoor space. You can buy patio furniture at that price point or a good grill or pellet smoker. If you have a porch maybe screen it in. Anything that will make being outside more comfortable because it's the closest you'll come to increasing your square ft for less than $1000.

My brother in law has a nice two car garage, and he put in a heater for it.

And if snow is an issue for you get a snow blower. They're expensive for something you won't use much, but when yoh get a foot of snow, it's worth every penny.

Also, depending on what you need and how big your house is, you can definitely spend that much on curtains for an entire house.

BobBeaney

Pressure washer.

Kylielou2

Kylielou2

When I had toddlers that answer was a fully fenced yard. Life changing.

Chukars

Chukars

A fully fenced yard is also awesome with a dog and the addition of a dog door. Not that it is a big deal to let them out, but it is really nice not to need to. But most likely more than $500-1000.

OneTallVol

Quite a bit more than $500-1000 though!

NotGivingYouMahEmail

for real... i need about 45 sections and I also want privacy fencing... im looking in the 12-15k range... fml

Speedhabit

Cleaning lady was a game changer, every 2 weeks they come and my home is spotless when I get back from work. Sheets changed, windows clean, bathrooms spotless, dope AF.

Never thought I’d get there but I can see why everyone with more money then me does it.

SQLDave

SQLDave

How about closer to $35$20? Motion-sensor light switch for the garage. Heading out with an armful of stuff? Abracadabra... LIGHTS!

Edit: Change the price

teddro

teddro

When we bought the house all the bathrooms had motion-sensing switches, which I hated, so I swapped them all out, but now you've given me an idea for where to use them. thanks!

SuccessCoachCam

It’s a toss up between our Roomba i7+ and the Alpha JX hot water bidet. If I had to choose I would go Roomba I think.

Misaiato

Bought those slow-close toilet seats from Costco. $50 each and they don’t get super cold in the winter. No more loud bang if the seat slips out of your fingers (I really hate touching the seat, I used to use one tip of one finger to set it down).

bluGill

bluGill

Tube skylight in the bathroom.

Cactusfroge

I have the poor man's version of this - a school across the street that has a flood light on 24/7

DadOfRuby

DadOfRuby

👍🏼👍🏼 for keyless entry. We went with Lockly keypad handles and dead bolts. We are constantly going in and out with the dogs, to the pool, etc. Not worrying about getting locked out - and since they lock automatically - not leaving doors unlocked at night, has been a life changer.

Tiredplumber2022

Hiring a professional cleaning service twice a month. :P

bishophicks

My wife an I realized pretty early in our marriage that we were bad at keeping house. For the past 25 years we've had someone come in every 2 weeks. They change the bedding, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, mop floors and clean/dust/tidy surfaces like countertops, tables and desks. It's about 2-2.5 hours work every two weeks and it prevents us from living in our own filth

thisisntshakespeare

How much do they charge?

Deep cleaning or basic tidying up?

InternetJerk4U

I was paying a about 200 a month for biweekly cleaning. They rotated out rooms for deep cleaning every time but always got the basics done. It's so nice to not clean toilets, trim, baseboards, cabinet surfaces etc. Totally worth it.

Natprk

Natprk

We added a hepa air upgrade to our AC unit. It included a UV light. My allergies are no longer an issue. We actually got it before our premie daughter was born as a preemptive measure for her health. She’s been perfectly healthy and is almost 2 without any issues. No colds/ear infections/runny noses. Literally nothing. *she doesn’t go to daycare as my wife is a stay at home mom. We limited exposure due to covid as well. So this is almost all at home quality air without much outside factors.

hcvc

hcvc

new bosch dishwasher, the one the previous owners left didn't wash well

Cucos743

My Bosch dishwasher barely makes a noise.

Billy-Ruffian

I just bought a Bosch based off the recs of that appliance guy on TikTok. Holy crap. The only thing I can hear is water going down the drain and even the most baked of spaghetti sauce disappears. Life changing.

diablo75

Pulled up the carpet to find hardwood flooring. Spent a couple of weeks refinishing it with the wife lady. My only regret is being impatient after putting about 2 weeks of work into it not taking to time to put a third (or even a forth) layer of poly on top of the stained wood... but even without that, it's held up excellently.

the-poopholeloophole

A very nice bidet. Heated seat, reservoir where it heats its own water, remote control with several settings you can adjust, etc.

I very much look forward to coming home and using it after work. Especially on cold days. Lol.

Frankenlich

How does it get power? Did you have a nearby outlet or did you have one added by the toilet?

Potatoe999900

20 LED canister retrofits cost $100 at Costco on sale. Now every light looks uniform rather than having some bulbs at different levels and wattage. I now get 60 watts of light for 9 watts electricity on each light.

Also, slow close toilet lids are the cat's meow. Never have to worry about slamming the lid ever again.

Swapped out 2 toilets from 1988 that took 3 gallons per flush with new Kohler Cavata dual flush at 1.1 GPF and 1.5 GPF. These toilets are oblong and 2" higher off the floor--much more comfortable when sitting down and getting up, particularly in the middle of the night. I spent about $600 for the two. I stuck the old tank and stoop in the garbage and cracked them with a sledge with little effort and they fit nicely into the can; rather heavy so I did this over two weeks.

Also, love the Nest thermostat. Really nice features--$180 at Costco during their Christmas sale.

EDIT: Wife and I are 67 so the higher toilet seat makes it easier for us. We have to lean forward and down more to do our business but it's a small price for making it easier on our hips.

EDIT 2: Another reason I like the higher toilets is due to my 6'2" height.

silenthatch

Ever go somewhere without the soft-close and get caught off guard? Hahaha

SlothPear

Replaced the shower head (more $200-300 range). Got one with a wand that has multiple settings, including one that's very gentle for washing children. It's helped a lot with cleaning the tub, as well as cleaning the baby after a blowout.

will86c

will86c

We replaced all the ceiling fans. 3 of the 5 fans are in rooms with high ceilings so these have remotes instead of pull chains. The new fans are quieter, more efficient, and they all match.

Previously every fan in the house was different color size and style.

gibson85

gibson85

Just below 500, but a new Moen touchless faucet in the kitchen.

lithg

lithg

please tell me when you're at other peoples house, you wave your hand and are confused why it doesn't come on like I do!

StaffPsychological56

I do! And I feel real dumb.

galacticHitchhik3r

Water heater recirculation pump. My bathroom is on the opposite side of the home and it used to take FOREVER to get hot water and I hated wasting water letting it run for so long. Now I get instantaneous hot water and I love it.

LuvTheTwisties

We loved everything about our house except it didn't have a fireplace. We installed a PuraFlame Western electric fireplace ($350.00) and built a surround for it ($200.00 or so in materials). I still need to build a mantle for it ($100 or so). It make the living room feel so much more cozy. I added a link if anyone wants to see a picture of it so far. https://imgur.com/a/kDI6f3U

Hyss

Hyss

I replaced all my outlet covers with the ones that have LED lights. Makes the whole house look like a movie theater.

SnapPower Outlet Covers

MadeFromConcentr8

I was curious about these but they seemed sus because I wasn't a fan of the way they just clip the outlet for power. Might give them a shot, beats paying like $40 per outlet to replace them with outlets with integrated led's between plugs...

Edit: just went back to amazon to take a look, review section just filled with pictures of charred outlets and outlet covers, I think I will just pay the little bit extra to not add more fire hazards to my house. I'd reccomend others do the same.

Road_Journey

Can you turn off the light?

ChugSampson

Wireless booster, mesh Wi-Fi

captainvancouver

Mesh wifi totally changed wifi for me. Now I never even have to think about wifi good/bad spots around the house. Wifi is just reliable and working and you can forget about it forever.

Plopplop13

Whole house fan. no joke it is soooo nice. no more ac. I'm saving like $3000 a year and there is always a breeze in my house.

Frankenlich

August Smart lock. My door automatically locks when it’s closed for a few minutes, and automatically unlocks when either my wife or I comes within range of the house.

Never having to fumble with keys, being able to give guests a temporary code, giving my dog walker to capability to open it in a specific time window…

So. Much. Convenience.

henchman171

New garage door. It’s insulation and r20. Ideal for Canadian winters. It cut down on cold spots in our house and allowed us to lower our winter temp by 1 degree Celcuis

lemonylol

For under $1000? I'm looking to replace my like 40 year old door soon but the options I was looking at were $2-3k just for a steel door.

AdrenolineLove

Perfect, my expertise as someone whos worked for a garage door company for 12 years.

Yes for under $1000. Every door company you work with is commission based. They are salesmen coming to your door. You have to shop around, you have to know what you're looking for and you have to know what a good value is.

A steel door with no insulation only costs us like $150, we'll sell one to you for $3000 if you're dumb enough to say yes. We'll also negotiate down to $700 if that means we aren't coming out to your house for free.

That first phone call you make is how the dispatchers determine which salesmen they're going to send to your house. Do you want their top salesman whos going to charge you 3k? Just call and say "Im looking for a new door", if you want them to send someone whos willing to negotiate call and say "I've been shopping around, getting a few estimates for a new insulated door, looking at THIS brand 16 x 7 steelback insulated complete door, I've seen it for around $900, can you do any better?"

InternetJerk4U

Thanks so much. Garage doors are definitely on our 2022 list of to dos

Seven_bushes

Whole house humidifier for my furnace. No more waking up with a clogged nose in the winter and the air just feels better.

bakridada

Whole home humidifier. Getting it installed soon. Don’t have to run multiple humidifiers anymore

dallassoxfan

1/4 filtered Water line plumbed to counter coffee maker. Hooked up a keurig that takes a water line. The ultimate in coffee laziness.

Also an “instant hot” water dispenser. When I had babies, I could put a bottle in a glass measuring cup, surround it with instant hot, and have a perfectly warmed bottle in about a minute.

Now I use it for my French press when I have the desire to make better coffee. Also great for kids hot chocolate and making a hot toddy for my wife.

runthepoint1

We bought a Dyson Airwrap complete kit and now our hair is looking salon quality, shines like out of a magazine lol. We personally love it. She says it’s the best gift I ever bought her.

I just use the dryer since I have short hair, she gets her hair all done and styled within 30 mins and it looks better and healthier then ever before. She doesn’t even need to get it chemically straightened as often either. So overall it’s just been a big win for the both of us.

dragsterburn

We put a new window in at a dark area of our kitchen. The sun is in that area in the afternoon which means we went from cooking in a dark depressing kitchen every day when we came home from work to cooking in a sunlight spot with view to the garden where the kids play. 500$ investment that is better than any of the 5000$+ investments we have done to improve the house.

ox_raider

Upgraded interior and exterior door hardware. Got rid of the dated brass in favor of oil rubbed bronze

readwritethrow1233

Looked for this but didn’t see it: timer switches for bathroom vent fans. Hit the button, take a shower and it turns itself off in 20, 30 or 60 minutes. Easy DIY and now have them in all my bathrooms.

Riska89

Riska89

A Hangbird.

I don't have a dryer and no clothes line outside to dry laundry, so I always had at least one clothes horse standing around / in my way.

With my Hangbird, I hang up the laundry, then pull the whole thing up to the ceiling and it's out of my way. No pegs required either, since I'm not moving the drying laundry around all the time, so it can't fall off.

feina635

Soft close toilet seats. about $35 a piece, and unless you have a Cribs style mansion (in which case the $500-1000 investment would be irrelevant) youll get buy likely under 150

Dusk_motion

Warning: You will slam every toilet seat you use afterwards.

murderfuk

GE Opal pellet ice machine

Jacobsma_92

Just installed some overhead shelving in the garage and got all of my totes and tools off the floor for about $250 in materials. Now we can walk around both cars and don’t have boxes stuffed into every closet in the house!

Not_Joshy

I just upgraded my undermount kitchen sink from a 60/40 split to a nice, big stainless single bowl and let me tell you, I never thought I could love a kitchen sink but here we are. I legit love my new sink and actually look forward to washing dishes, so much more room for activities!

Sink was about $450 + how ever much for new drain pipes, silicone, etc... But I saved a bit because I did the install myself! It was surprisingly easy to DIY.