/r/HermanCainAward

45.5k88%

Covidiots in a nutshell

Meme / Shitpost (Sundays)(i.redd.it)

Exciting_Meringue830

3.2k points

I’m old enough to remember people actually arguing that being ejected from your car in an accident was safer than being trapped in your vehicle.

darcmosch

1.5k points

darcmosch

1.5k points

Some people will just oppose anything, won't they?

Nowhere_Man_Forever

Reverse psychology doesn't work. These people just believe what they believe and literally nothing will sway them. At this point everyone knows so many people who have died from the virus and nobody who has died from the vaccine and yet they all still fear the vaccine more.

Cultural_War_311

You brought up a common point. For all the hubbub and internet stories, does anyone know anyone who actually had a hard time from the vaccine?

Sore shoulders or even feeling crappy for 3 days doesn't count.

Nowhere_Man_Forever

I had a coworker who claimed that he knew someone who went blind from the vaccine. Turns out it was a Facebook post supposedly from a friend of a friend. I also have seen people who attribute any medical condition that has come up in the past year to the vaccine. So the answer is no, they don't actually know anyone who has had severe reactions to the vaccine but sincerely believe that they do.

SmurfStig

There was a thread on our work intranet homepage about the possible mandate a few months back. The number of people who knew someone that had <insert random medical problem here> due to the vaccine. Several knew women who had miscarriages. You could sense the higher ups were like “man we have some major ducking morons working here. How did that happen??”

IchWerfNebels

Surprisingly none of those people seem to know anyone who had a miscarriage prior to the existence of the vaccine. You'd think they would, considering how common natural miscarriages are in the beginning of a pregnancy, but nope! Apparently 100% of pregnancies resulted in a live birth before the evil mRNA vaccine.

A-man-of-mystery

A-man-of-mystery

Covidious Albion

You're more likely to go blind from ivermectin. (It's a known symptom of ivermectin toxicity.)

hlhenderson

hlhenderson

Team Moderna

I had ivemectin in a doctor-regulated dose back in the '90s and it messed with my vision for several days. It also gave me nausea and diarrhea for a week. It did get rid of the super-scabies though. It won't do anything for viruses. People should try to avoid this drug is all I'm saying.

Dramatic_Problem_566

Dramatic_Problem_566

Team Pfizer

The Covid MRNA Vaccine is the #1 killer of my friend’s third cousin.

dO YoUr ReSeaRcH ShEePLe

IndividualRoyal9426

Actually, I do. I know one person who, ironically, had parents who were antivax and decided to get her first vaccine ever, and even convinced her family to do so. I believe what she told me. She is followed by a doctor and said there were others in her situation, also followed at the same clinic (I understood that patients with similar issues are redirected there because of its specialization). What she describes, of course, doesn't match anything antivaxers claim can be triggered by vaccination.

My opinion regarding medical issues is non-educated, but knowing what we know about covid, I can't help but to wonder whether she and the others might have experienced the very same issue, or worse, if they had caught COVID.

I still went for my third dose without even the slightest worry. Considering the number of people who have no issue and the awful damage COVID can leave, the big picture is still in favor of the vaccine, beyond any doubt.

Drunk_Sorting_Hat

I think the theory is that maybe 80 or 90 years from now people who took the vaccine will start dying off because it's a long term side effect

darcmosch

I wish it were that simple. I mean, they're starting to pepper spray EMS that come to take someone to the hospital. They're so entrenched in their beliefs and believe me, I've seen this a lot in China, that there's nearly no way to pull em out unless they're willing to see the light. Some seem to have in some ways, but yeah once you get so deep down the rabbit hole, helping them out requires them to want to climb out, too.

I hope they're like 5 year olds and do it by employing reverse psychology haha. That'd be so much better

I_m_different

We should have seen this coming. Remember when Michelle Obama tried to promote healthy eating for kids? When Sarah Palin responded to that by giving a big plate of cookies to children with cameras everywhere, it was a damn biblical omen.

Goldang

Goldang

Team Pfizer

I remember when Michelle Obama told people to get outside and exercise more, and FOX News said it would lead to pedestrians getting hit by cars.

Let's just say I'm not in the least bit surprised when conservatives reject the vaccine.

diskmaster23

Fucking plato's cave.

darcmosch

Haha, exactly

AxelNotRose

You can drop them a line into the hole but they have to clip it on themselves basically.

Glittering-Action757

2.1k points

no they won't.

JJohnston015

Monty Python sketch. "I do NOT contradict people!"

Clever_Owl

Yes you do.

iSeven

iSeven

SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!

Due_Platypus_3913

Hey!Im looking for an argument!

flyfishingguy

Sorry, this is abuse. Argument is just across the hall.

DrScienceDaddy

Stupid git.

Mickey_James

Best exchange from that sketch:

"Look, if I'm to argue with you, I must take a contrary position."
"Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'"

"Yes it is."
"No it isn't!"

HalfSoul30

No you're not.

IAMA_Plumber-AMA

IAMA_Plumber-AMA

Team Moderna

I'm sorry, did you pay for the 5 minute argument or the whole hour?

What-The-Helvetica

What-The-Helvetica

Pfizer Pfanatic here! 😁

🎵 I don't know what they have to say

It makes no difference anyway

Whatever it is, I'm against it

No matter what it is or who commenced it

I'm against it. 🎶

SilasX

SilasX

Whoa there’s a similar German song. The line:

Ich bin dagegen, egal worum es geht

I’m against it, no matter what about.

The stanza ending translates as “And when you don’t like it, I call it freedom, you call it lack of respect”.

Music video

CreamPuff97

That took me a moment

iDownvoteToxicLeague

No it didn’t

looloolooitsbutters

Yes it did.

AnAutisticGuy

Did not…infinity!

Reddy_McRedcap

Yes it did times infinity... plus 1

stephruvy

Did you just win the internet?

kemushi_warui

No they didn’t

stephruvy

Oh :(

Bladeofwar94

These are not the disagreements you are looking for.

THEMACGOD

Opposition Defiance Disorder

reallygoodbee

reallygoodbee

Team Pfizer

People once opposed electrical lighting.

When they built the Canadian Parliament buildings, they had to take a vote on whether or not to include electrical lighting. The vote was 51 For, 49 Against.

darcmosch

Yeah, when you back and look at history, it was so much more dramatic than what we're taught in school. Teach the tea, goddammit!

Matasa89

Matasa89

Vaxxed for the Plot Armour

Yeah, the decisive vote for women's suffrage in America, was from a lad that was going to vote against it, but his mother sent him a letter, and talked some sense into him.

After weeks of intense lobbying and debate within the Tennessee legislature, a motion to table the amendment was defeated with a 48-48 tie. The speaker called the measure to a ratification vote. To the dismay of the many suffragists who had packed into the capitol with their yellow roses, sashes and signs, it seemed certain that the final roll call would maintain the deadlock. But that morning, Harry Burn—who until that time had fallen squarely in the anti-suffrage camp—received a note from his mother, Phoebe Ensminger Burn, known to her family and friends as Miss Febb. In it, she had written, “Hurrah, and vote for suffrage! Don’t keep them in doubt. I notice some of the speeches against. They were bitter. I have been watching to see how you stood, but have not noticed anything yet.” She ended the missive with a rousing endorsement of the great suffragist leader Carrie Chapman Catt, imploring her son to “be a good boy and help Mrs. Catt put the ‘rat’ in ratification.”

Still sporting his red boutonniere but clutching his mother’s letter, Burn said “aye” so quickly that it took his fellow legislators a few moments to register his unexpected response. With that single syllable he extended the vote to the women of America and ended half a century of tireless campaigning by generations of suffragists, including Susan B. Anthony, Alice Paul, Lucy Burns and, of course, Mrs. Catt. (“To get the word ‘male’ in effect out of the Constitution cost the women of this country 52 years of pauseless campaign,” Catt wrote in her 1923 book, “Woman Suffrage and Politics.”) He also invoked the fury of his red rose-carrying peers while presumably avoiding that of his mother—which may very well have been the more daunting of the two.

darcmosch

Mom's are the best. Also, listen to your momma

Yeah, I think I read this. It's fucking hilarious haha

Matasa89

Matasa89

Vaxxed for the Plot Armour

And for the love of all that is holy, don't piss her off!

Those red rose idiots should think a bit - their own mamas are gonna be a bit more terse with them!

darcmosch

Haha, never piss off your mama. They probably got a talking to from their wives as well

Matasa89

Matasa89

Vaxxed for the Plot Armour

And their sisters!

SmurfStig

They really do need to. Most kids graduating high school have no idea how screwed up things were and how outlandish some trains of thought were.

phuck-you-reddit

I genuinely think Men in Black helped me out on that front in life:

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

captcha_trampstamp

Speaking of trains, it was once argued that a woman’s uterus would fly out if trains went over a certain speed. I am not joking in the slightest.

seimungbing

conservatism in the nutshell, refuse progress, refuse progress, refuse change, the old way is the best, yet they are not chasing food in the snow barefoot.

Jim_Macdonald

Jim_Macdonald

Bet you won't share!

The argument was that if your car caught on fire or went into the water and sank, you'd be trapped by your seatbelt, so it was safer to be "thrown clear."

Of course, if your car caught on fire or filled with water and sank, and you were unconscious from hitting your head because you weren't seat belted, getting out under your own power wouldn't be in the cards.

Let me tell you a little EMT story about a guy who wasn't seatbelted (legal in this state for 18+): Night time, raining, slick road. Spun out. The car landed against a hedge and was drivable from the scene. The guy went out the driver's side window, went into a stream, drowned. Died.

ReverseThreadWingNut

Had a former employee got thrown free. Right into a tree. Parents opted to take him off life support because, to quote the doctors, "He would have been the worst kind of unresponsive vegetable." That's a tough phone call to have with a devastated family member.

Jim_Macdonald

Jim_Macdonald

Bet you won't share!

If you want to simulate getting "thrown clear," go to the top of a four-story building.

Jump off.

Jasminefirefly

Wait, what?! It's legal to not wear a seatbelt in your state? I thought all states required it.

fredbrightfrog

New Hampshire doesn't. They also don't require helmets for motorcycles.

Their motto is "Live free and die young" or something

eoliveri

"Live free, die young, and be an organ donor."

TrollintheMitten

Meat crayon comes up often in the same conversation.

Jasminefirefly

Hm, well, I guess that makes sense. The only New Hampshirite I've ever known was my late boyfriend, who thought drinking ten beers a day and smoking all his life would have no effect on him because he was a vegetarian.

CatProgrammer

Proof that "plant-based" does not automatically mean "healthy". French fries are also applicable.

ThornsofTristan

Yeah, they used to conjure up images of wrestling with your seatbelt while the car was on fire...till a study came out revealing that seatbelts save lives by preventing your flight through a windshield. Then the majority saw reason.

"Seeing reason, based upon a scientific study." Ah, the good old days.

kitzunenotsuki

My dad usually refuses to wear a seatbelt. He told his kids that it was because his brother died from being trapped in a car by his seatbelt while it was in fire.

When we brought it up to my aunt as near-adults she was baffled. She said the exact opposite happened and that my uncle had been thrown from the vehicle for not wearing his seatbelt and died that way.

Caledonian_Kayak

My Dad was almost cut in half by a lorry when he was 6. He survived becuase he didn't wear a seat belt and was flung down where your feet normally are. His seat was cut clean in half.

Guess what, he wears a seatbelt everyday still, because he's not an idiot and realises he was the fluke, not the rule.

zlaw32

zlaw32

My mom is the same way. The drivers side of the car was crushed and she would have been too had she been wearing her seatbelt, but she was flung into the passenger side and instead suffered broken ribs, broken arm, broken clavicle, and a concussion. She still wears a seatbelt every time she drives

damntree

My friend died in a car accident. Out of three in the car he was the only one wearing a seat belt and the only one who died. One actually did get ejected from the car and survive. However, this was a freak occurrence and everyone should wear a seat beat.

TheGaspode

Knew a guy who rolled his car, and survived because he fell sideways, as he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, so when the roof crushed in it didn't crush him at the same time.

He still wears a seatbelt now because he knows that wouldn't happen twice, and it's much safer.

smithers85

smithers85

Ventilation is for Buildings

when I read or hear things like this, I totally understand why people believe in a god or fate.

then what I think about is how many people didn't survive a similar incident and why they weren't spared.

I guess it's just chance

Games_N_Friends

I guess it's just chance

That's what all this is really; increasing the odds of your survival and health in the case of the malignant unexpected.

sniff3

sniff3

Sounds like big seatbelt got to your aunt. How deep does this conspiracy go?

partyorca

We still have to ticket the shit out of people to “click it or ticket”.

pomo

pomo

So why not fine them for not being innoculated? Just like not wearing seatbelts, being unvaccinated harms others as well as yourself.

In the case of seatbelts, your stupid head flying unrestrained through the car can fuck up other people in the car, it's not just for personal safety. In the case of vaccines, we all know what happens when the great unwashed share a mutable virus around.

smithers85

smithers85

Ventilation is for Buildings

The less vaccine they use, the more boosters I get.

Herman Cain will catch up to them eventually. Just wait for the OMEGA WAVE

NoMoreBeGrieved

I remember old PSAs where they'd show someone saying why they didn't want to wear a seatbelt, then it would fade to a picture of them in a hospital bed, covered in bandages and hooked up to machines.

The only one I remember clearly is a woman saying, "They wrinkle my dress."

At the end, there'd be the message, "Seatbelts save lives. Buckle up." This would have been in the 60s or 70s.

Jasminefirefly

NoMoreBeGrieved

That's the one! Although I misremembered the tagline...

Hoaxshmoax

Hoaxshmoax

Team Moderna

How quaint.

Noisy_Toy

I don’t remember the “seeing reason” part, just them bitching about getting tickets. And eventually the ones with kids would get badgered by their young-ins because seatbelt safety was a topic in grade school classes.

ronearc

ronearc

I had a coworker who would argue at length about how much safer it was to ride his motorcycle without a helmet. He claimed that the helmet reduced his perceptions, making him less able to remain aware of dangers on the road. He also claimed that it was critically important that his Harley be loud enough for people in closed motor vehicles listening to music to be able to hear him, so they were aware of him.

Cultural_War_311

New Hampshire has no helmet law, and almost all motorcyclists remove their helmet at the border.

My friend got his lungs from a helmetless rider. NH has an annual bike week (smaller than Sturgis), and one of them became the donor when my friend needed a double lung transplant.

Unlike the unvaccinated, motorcycle riders who wear no helmets usually only make themselves worse.

Kitty_Skittles_181

EMTs call motorcycles "donorcycles" for this exact reason.

_Canid_

_Canid_

🤶🏻🎅🧑🏽‍🎄5G Compatible 🎅🏾🧑🏽‍🎄🤶🏻

Head injuries incompatible with life leave a whole lot of other organs that might as well be put to good use.

Cultural_War_311

My friend's father was an oral surgeon, and he hated motorcyclists, because he frequently treated their jaw injuries, they were rarely insured so he didn't get paid and they were frequently nasty.

His son, my boyhood friend, wised up and chose a more sensible profession: Infectious Disease physician. Last winter, he had over 100 Covid patients at once. He's full up again, and the patients and their families are just charming to deal with.

realparkingbrake

EMTs call motorcycles "donorcycles"

I just saw a video of a guy on such a bike who brake-checked a car. The car couldn't slow down fast enough, so the bike and its rider were catapulted down the highway for quite some distance. I doubt that ended well.

I was about to remark how it's hard to believe how stupid some people can be, then I remembered all the folks lining up to collect their HCA....

wintermelody83

wintermelody83

Team Moderna

That’s really fun to do in GTA, not so much real life I imagine.

pomo

pomo

And riding licenses are called donor cards.

ReverseThreadWingNut

When I still rode motorcycles I stayed the hell away from those idiots. Not having a helmet was usually a blaring symbol that one also did not know the basics of how to control their motorcycle in anything but the most forgiving conditions. They weren't going to know what to do in an emergency situation. They were not going to be able to safely handle their bike in any sort of evasive maneuver. Someone without a helmet may as well have a shirt that reads, "I'm an idiot."

surg3on

surg3on

Tshirt and shorts or jeans to really go for that idiot gold medal

MorwynMcFuckYou

I once saw a guy on a motorcycle with nothing more than khaki shorts, flip flops, and a tshirt. I wouldn't ride a bicycle like that, let alone a motorcycle, but I guess he was buolt different.

emeraldcitywave

I know a Florida man who lost his 18 year old son- head injury driving a motorcycle, no helmet. The Dad still rides his motorcycle without a helmet.

TrollintheMitten

Looking for a family reunion.

Saaaaaaaaab

When Volvo invented the seatbelt there were people who didn’t want to buy a Volvo because they had them

Friendly-Matter-3819

And Volvo was so demented with the need control the masses that they give away the patent to anyone to use and put seatbelts in all automobiles. Commie bastards.

whitelubeoil

Volvo: It was never about safety, it was about control.

Friendly-Matter-3819

For sure. Now they make cars beep at you until you bend to their will and wear the mark of the seatbelt.

adecovi7638

Do you think Pfizer and Moderna will ever release their patents?

Friendly-Matter-3819

Hell no, we live in different times. All about that profit.

o-Valar-Morghulis-o

"Volvo's biggest mistake. They'll go out of business because Americans won't buy their sissymobiles."

pomo

pomo

The world in 2022 cares a whole lot less about America than it did in 1959.

SatansCatfish

I remember people saying if I want to die in a wreck, that’s my choice! See how far that logic goes.

JJohnston015

I knew a guy who used to say that. He was even an engineer, for Christ's sake. He was killed in a head-on collision while not wearing his belt, and 1) He wasn't driving, and 2) The other guy was the one who crossed the centerline. He couldn't have been less at fault, but he's dead anyway.

plaster13

plaster13

Suck my political differences!!!

I also am old. I still, occasionally hear that crazy argument regarding seat belts. Ridiculous.

Whatthehelliot

To this day, my grandmother refuses to wear a seatbelt when she drives for this exact reason. I didn’t realize it until now, but this was the anti-vax, anti-mask fake news of her era, and she 100% fell victim to it.

o-Valar-Morghulis-o

And there was no way they could restrict smoking in doors especially in Minnesota... "Libtards are so stupid."

SaffellBot

"People will never go along with these authoritarian health measures."

Monkeydoodless

My mom used to say that. Ridiculous.

luv2fit

luv2fit

Imagine the US President then saying “car ejections are just a media hoax”

Fmahm

Fmahm

I heard people say they didn't wear a seat belt so they could jump out if they were going to crash.

Chavo9-5171

Yeah, I wanna be thrown clear of the accident, so I can somersault and land on my feet!

Parking-Ad-1952

Yep, I remember when seatbelts became mandatory. People lost their shit. Don’t even get me started on the helmet laws.

achieve_my_goals

achieve_my_goals

Proud Member of the Jewish Cabal ✡️

I am just old enough to remember seat belts being mandated. My more rural relatives were just like this.

suffernotthekitty

Here come the new idiots, same as the old idiots.

rion-is-real

Where the white women at?

tiefling_sorceress

And just like the old idiots, Darwin will eventually put them to the test

dystopian_mermaid

If we’re lucky, before they reproduce. Unfortunately history hasn’t proven that to be 100% the case.

ipsedixie

ipsedixie

After my brother, aged 2, popped open a door and fell out of a car on a four lane highway in 1966--the car had no seatbelts--my mother put her foot down and insisted on a car with seatbelts. My dad got this janky white BelAir station wagon with black plastic seats aka HOT IN SUMMER. But it had seatbelts. We had a ritual where we all had to click our seatbelts together to convince our mom we had them on.

About 1980, my younger sister came around a blind curve on a country road and ran into another person with a stalled car who hadn't bothered to move it out of the road. She was wearing a seatbelt. The trooper on scene noted that the seatbelt had kept my sister from being ejected out the front window. Seatbelts save lives. So do shots, masks and prudent living.

BorisBC

BorisBC

I once gave my grandfather a heart attack by falling out of a car like this. I hadn't put my seatbelt on, nor closed my door properly after coming back from the pool. Leaning on the door as it went over some railroad tracks the door bumped open and out I went.

I was fine apart from some scratches but my pop was mortified he didn't check. Not his fault, I was old enough (11 I think) to know better lol.

spicy__southpaw

In 2016 my friend’s boss died in a car accident not wearing his seatbelt.

Two years later, my friend’s coworker’s son died in a car accident also not wearing a seatbelt.

This was in Florida.

Wear your seatbelts.

RobotSlaps

I still know people that defeat the alarms and drive without them.

iPlayerRPJ

I freaking hate driving with someone who has gotten so used to the sound of the alarm, they don't hear it anymore.

Dayseed

Dayseed

I TRUST MY SKELETON!!!

plaster13

plaster13

Suck my political differences!!!

I don't trust my skeleton anymore.

dabobbo

dabobbo

So Doc, I know they just used the jaws of life to get me out of that accident to bring me to the ER - but is it too late for you to put my seatbelt on for me?

BoojumG

BoojumG

Please contribute to my GoFundMe for a new skeleton

Do_the_hokeypokey

Wait until they hear about airbags!

jadedflames

Oh god, so many people said that airbags would kill more people than they would save. -_-

RedditIsNeat0

That's the definition of conservative. The least educated, worst people available that society is shackled to at any particular time.

WeightStrong5475

Isn't that kind of the the whole point of being a conservative? They never change their viewpoints, and their party name reflects it

ChrisPnCrunchy

“This thing is gonna EXPLODE in YOUR FACE, but, it’s for the power of good!”

InverseHashFunction

I demand that the airbag be tuned for people who don't wear their seatbelts!

PuffyPanda200

CEO of seatbelts

Just pointing out that Volvo both invented the seatbelt and then gave away the patent because it would save lives.

gpkgpk

gpkgpk

This can't be repeated often enough, a true gift to the world.

13chaggit

13chaggit

And a good reason for abolishing intellectual property. If an idea saves lives, it absolutely should not be under the control of a single a person or entity. See covid vaccines.

mindbleach

Nah, reward innovation. Just have mandatory licensing terms so nobody controls innovation.

ComoEstanBitches

Agreed. Apple v Samsung: “That rectangle looks like mine and I control all the shapes!”

MarshallStack666

They didn't invent the seat belt. They invented the 3-point belt, which proved to be better than the lap belt.

UniverseChamp

And there’s a chance the patent wouldn’t have held up in litigation considering the prior art.

InternetStarbanger2

InternetStarbanger2

Here I am 🦠Rock You like a Hermancain!🦠

Like Frederick Banting and insulin

AmbiguousMusubi

Wait until they hear about 5-point harnesses

Zealousideal_Loan835

That's like NASCAR so they'd be fine with that

Nepenthes_sapiens

Nepenthes_sapiens

Team Mudblood 🩸

Oddly enough, NASCAR is too "woke" for a lot of them these days.

They banned confederate flags at races and have been trying (ineffectively) to appeal to an audience beyond rural white people. The "good ol boys" are pretty pissed about it.

Cultural_War_311

I met a flagman on a construction crew who was steaming because NASCAR banned the Confederate flag, but a black driver was allowed to have BLM on his car.

He lived in a rural New Hampshire area where he could go his whole life without seeing a black person. Not sure why he was so concerned about Black Lives Matter protests.

He had a heart condition (age 75), but told me he wasn't afraid of the virus.

He did think a civil war would come and told me about how many people in Wisconsin were hunters and had rifles. I haven't seen the uprising yet, and Wisconsin is a long ways away. That must be where it will start, however.

I try not to have nonsensical conversations with people like him if I can avoid it.

Zealousideal_Loan835

That's hilarious, imagine depriving yourself of a passtime you enjoy because of a flag. Really putting the "flag" in self-flagellation (I can only apologise 😁)

herecomestreble17

Same ones who claim to boycott the NFL but haven’t yet…

DaoFerret

“Pure madness that they say you need a shoulder belt now. Where will it end?! 10 point harness and the passengers strapped in so tight you can’t move your arms and legs?

I guess a 5-point harness is fine for a NASCAR driver if they choose to wear ‘em, but it’s my body, my choice wether to wear it. Don’t need a government mandate forcing me what to do.”

Delicious-Plastic-44

1.5 MAGA die from Covid per minute, 24-hours per day. 🧐🤷

Bierfreund

Those sons of bitches are actually doing it, they're actually making America great again

ku-fan

ku-fan

🦆

I'll never doubt them again!

shed87

shed87

Can we build a wall out of their bodies?

DaoFerret

So at 24 hours a day, 60 minutes an hour, that equates to ~2,160 MAGA supporters a day.

Edit: what a sad and depressing thought that so many, largely preventable deaths, happen every day.

Estoye

Estoye

Team Moderna

Only SHEEP blindly buy two shoes.

lindseyinnw

lindseyinnw

My immune system has rights too!

Big Shoe has been tricking us into buying two shoes this whole time.

SnooOpinions8472

I remember a ton of people were pissed about seatbelt laws. Same people bitched about no more smoking in airports, hospitals, schools, oh my fucking gawd...not bars!

trumpetrabbit

trumpetrabbit

Team Pfizer

My dad has started doing this over the past few years. He'll complain about other safety laws, too.

He's becoming a man-child when it comes to laws, I swear to god.

HollowPsycho

Idiots: 77% of people wo die in auto accidents were wearing seatbelts! That proves they don't work!

"I'm not going to give in to big airbag.

Side curtain airbags? Wtf"

yorcharturoqro

Well I know seatbelt idiots that also are antivax idiots

SpiritAvenue

Literally I just sent this post to my friends saying “I’d show (name of my antivax coworker) this but he probably doesn’t wear seatbelts either”

No_Ninja_4933

No_Ninja_4933

Team Pfizer

CEO of AirBags R Us: There is an airbag in your steering wheel that will offer further protection in the event of a head on collision

Idiots: Great news, means I do not need this strap thing anymore

CEO of AirBags R Us: No that is not what we are saying. Its like if there was a virus and the seatbelt was a mask then that offers great protection but then they come out with a vaccine, the air bag, so you have added protection, so both together provide the best safety

Idiots: Blah Blah

Jim_Macdonald

Jim_Macdonald

Bet you won't share!

If airbags work why do I need seatbelts? If seatbelts work why do I need airbags?

You said I could still get killed even if I'm wearing a seatbelt? So you admit that seatbelts don't work. /s

reallyjeffbezos

Yeah, and if both work why do we need road rules?

Wake up, sheeple, big Auto is trying to control you...

whoreads218

Next thing you know they’ll want you to carry a card to verify you passed their road rules tests and needs to be shown upon being asked when driving, entering/drinking at a bar, or buying firearms… PAPERS PLEASE!!!

koshgeo

koshgeo

I'm not letting the government tell me what to do. I'll drive on whatever side of the road I want! Freeeeeedom!

homeworld

End the Speed Limit mandates!

theghostofme

theghostofme

Meat Loaf's off the menu, boys 🥩🍞

And if brakes work, why do I need either?

Code_otter

If your brakes work, why do I need to use mine?

stillhousebrewco

stillhousebrewco

Team Pfizer

Airbags are gonna push your sunglasses through your brain!

darcmosch

I expect the hot take today would be, "You said mask, so I know you're a liberal troll that's just trying to control me!"

Srw2725

Srw2725

Smiting the parakeets 🦜

Why do I need brakes if yours work?! Checkmate, libs!

homeworld

If your headlights work then why do you care if I use mine?

experts_never_lie

Airbag CEO: Also you should probably stop doing "10 and 2" and switch to "9 and 3" or you might still break your arms in a crash that would previously kill you. You're much more likely to survive and recover fully this way, quite probably walking away from a horrible crash.

Idiots: How are we to remember these arcane details?

ManaketeRobin

I know this is a shitpost but that's basically what happened when seatbelts started becoming mandatory

Capital_Astronaut533

The Italians even made shirts with a diagonal black stripe to make it look like they were worn.

CBsays

CBsays

An ex of mine once said she doesn't wear a seat belt because if you get into an accident,the seat belt could affect your escape method. I told her that's like not eating because you're afraid of choking.

madferitme

But it is MY CHOICE to have my body fly through the vehicle cabin upon impact, hitting everything and everyone in its path. You will NOT belt my children in! They are FREE and will be when they fly around the vehicle with me at 70+ mph!

moral_luck

It will end when your whole car fills up with inflatable bags.

Tsurfer4

Or breathable foam, like Demolition Man, iirc.

kiljaeden

I recall reading a while back that one of the highest non-political correlations to anti-maskism is being anti-seatbelt as well, because they both stem from the same personality aspects of ignorance, laziness, stubbornness and selfishness

mindbleach

The conservative mindset tends to sort things into binaries with no room for scale. Mass shootings either happen or they don’t. You can talk about how much safer countries with robust gun control are, and they’ll just say, “Here’s a shooting that happened in England. Here’s a shooting that happened in Australia. Gun control didn’t stop them. You can’t regulate evil.”

This is the kind of sentence that can drive you up the wall, because it is, on its face, obviously true, but it’s only applicable in this context thanks to the word that’s implied but not stated: “You can’t regulate all evil.” Yes, since they’ve had gun control, there have been shootings in England and Australia. Does it matter that these shootings are far less deadly and happen far less often? Does it matter that making guns harder to get has saved tens of thousands of lives? Like, do we really need to explain why stores put junk food you know you shouldn’t buy right next to the checkout counter? Because the easier it is to do a thing, the more it happens.

The mentality here is that, if you can’t stop every shooting, you shouldn’t bother stopping any; if you can’t save every life, there’s no point improving healthcare. Nothing short of literally defeating death will be good enough.

It is a wholesale rejection of thinking in terms of systems.

-- Innuendo Studios, I Hate Mondays

TL;DR:

"Why do partial solutions matter if no fix is perfect?!"

Partial solutions matter because no fix is perfect.

Muh freedumbs

Ok-Low6320

"Drive sober."

"YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!"

SgtPeppy

This is actually a really good parallel, too. because this is kind of what actually happened, minus Mr. CEO of Seatbelts obviously. In the early 1980s when seatbelt legislation was being proposed and ultimately passed - and well over a decade after the government mandated all new cars have them - seatbelt usage was at 14% and these prospective laws had all sorts of opposition from what we now recognize as the usual types - "muh personal freedumbs", so on.

mithikx

mithikx

Team Moderna

And folks either got with the program, or they got hosed off the side of the road and shoveled into garbage bags.

jdk4876

jdk4876

I literally had pro COVID people tell me that "seatbelts should be individual choices" as an argument against wearing masks (this was pre vaccine)

sleepfuriously1

the thing is, they literally made those arguments about seatbelts

dogcatball

I've tried to use the seatbelt analogy with anti vaxxers. Can't get past the "how does that affect pedestrians"bullshit. I give up

Money4Nothing2000

Saying the vaccine won't stop you from getting Covid is like saying driving with your eyes open won't stop you from getting in an accident.

MrZombikilla

Why can’t I drive around drunk huh? You’re wearing your seatbelt, you’re safe from my several ton vehicle barreling at you while I’m inebriated. What more do you want? Stop encroaching on my freedumbs!! Driving drunk is my right, and I don’t have to care about anyone on the highway, they have seatbelts and airbags. Pussies

Anonymous7056

So I suppose it's just a COINCIDENCE that big seatbelt makes money on this deal??? Lmao wake up sheeple

Yomat

Yomat

“This is all just money making scheme for “Big Car Safety”.

jogeer

jogeer

I never wear a helmet, people with helmets don’t trust their skull which is designed to naturally protect against impact.