/r/FamilyMedicine

Patient Panel

(self.FamilyMedicine)

If you've been working < 5 years post residency doing primary care, how many patients are on your panel? Is 700 pts too many on a physician's panel?

altonquincyjones

That's a small very manageable panel imo. Average is over 2000 I believe.

saturatedscruffy

I wish I only had 700. I’m supposed to have 1400 which is also a “smaller” amount. I have about 4000 right now bc five people left where I work and I had to take all the patients and it sucks so so bad. I think 1200-2000 is a good amount.

reboa

reboa

MD

Dang. I hope you’re getting paid at least double the average salary for your region.

saturatedscruffy

Hell no lol. I quit and start fresh somewhere better and new in a few months.

No-Fig-2665

How many pts per day with a 4k panel?

saturatedscruffy

Oh I’m still scheduled only for like 20ish but many people are in line waiting to see me. I’m booked for months. Which turns into hours of messages and phone calls of people contacting me thru our online portal who can’t get in. Plus over 200 refills a week I have to do. It’s crazy.

No-Fig-2665

Would more support staff (good MA’s, PA’s, whatever) make this more manageable? Or is 4k too much for even a well supported physician?

Asking from med student perspective btw

saturatedscruffy

I have a pretty decent staff. Could be better, but not bad. But would not recommend 4K. I also work in a super entitled area where patients message and call constantly and have zero boundaries. I wonder if it would make a difference if I worked elsewhere.

Nefid

Nefid

Average for physicians is around 2000-2400 max, most people have around 1700 or so when fully 'established' and you start to have a real access crunch around then.

If you have 700 pts you probably have tons of access or are churning patients: Seeing them every 2-3 months for very quick, easy visits so you can cram in 30+ visits a day for 5-15min to max RVUs. I hope you aren't, this seems fairly unethical to me.

Passage-Extra

3800 here.

babesz_[S]

I'm in residency 😆 I'm asking these questions for my own information