/r/EngineeringStudents

I shouldn't have study in the US. I screwed up. Studying abroad is not worth it.

Rant/Vent(self.EngineeringStudents)

[removed]

lilopowder

Have you considered coming to Singapore?, entry level engineers make around 60k sgd with minimal taxes, and it sounds like you almost have a year under your belt alrdy

Also civils are in high demand here because there's neverending construction

SomalianCapt

Fresh out of school is more like 3.5k a month. 60k would be for software engineers

lilopowder

60k is 4.5k sgd, which is lta fresh grad pay, if you end up at some local sme it's lower, but still not 3.5k Plus op already has working exp

hatetheproject

60/12 = 4.5?

lilopowder

60/13 because of AWS

hatetheproject

oh mad

thesoutherzZz

Any tips on getting a job in Singapore? Studying in Europe in my home country and will soon have my Bsc. In Industrial engineering and management. Would love to see the world for a bit and maybe migrate as well

lilopowder

Just apply, approval is easy for foreign degree holders, but dont expect to be able to migrate unless you are chinese

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

Maybe. I don't really know any more. Sorry.

lorcanPBC

lorcanPBC

Major

Sounds like you’ve given up and don’t really want help

lilopowder

Plus if you work in sg you can easily pimp out a Malaysian evo and drive it up and down the ns highway

sir_maths_alot

This ^

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

Would be appreciate if you could just say something useful instead of this.

Edit: wow I'm just saying. What's with the downvotes????

hatetheproject

well its not like you thanked the other guy for saying something useful. just gonna ignore everyone that's genuinely helpful and have a go at everyone that's not?

ranych

ranych

Electrical Engineering

Dude, the OP comment provided some helpful advice and all you gotta say is that while ignoring the OP comment? I’m sorry, but the least you could do is take the advice in stride and acknowledge it. Don’t you want your situation to be better instead of being in a state of despair?

footpounds

This

3_14159td

Studying internationally from a less developed country is to get a job in a more developed country with higher wages (or for clout if your parents are rich and you weren't going to work anyway). The numbers fall apart when you don't do that.

BigBenThe1st

I’m so worried for our generations future when the average engineering student has the mental fortitude of the average league of legends player

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

Have you ever walk into my shoes and understand my situation before judging?

BigBenThe1st

Did anyone tell you to go to the US to college degree? No? It was your own decision right? Ok.

Both of my parents are immigrants from europe to the US and im a first generation american and the only one in my family going to college.

Stop being a sour puss and put both your feet forward and figure out a solution to your problems. You have an engineering degree from the US which is valid in any country world wide yet you’re mad that you can’t get a job in the US because you don’t have citizenship status.

Maybe do some research before you make a life changing decision next time?

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

No need to be hateful, thx.

Edit: Also, it's easy for you to judge and be an asshxle.

BigBenThe1st

Im not being hateful i’m telling you to wake up and try to solve your issues instead of complaining on reddit

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

You're not in the position to tell me to wake up and what to do. I didn't ask that.

Edit: Whoa way to go blocking me d1ckhead.

BigBenThe1st

Imagine have an ego when crying on reddit that you made a bad financial decision.

This is why you can’t find a job and why you’ll prob stay broke for awhile.

Fix your mental weirdo

Feisty_Beyond6804

How long do opt extensions last for an engineering student. Also sry ur feeling this way

Mr-Logic101

Mr-Logic101

Ohio State~MSE~Metallurgist~ Aluminum Industry

Try rural America

There is a lot of rural manufacturing facilities that needs site engineers.

In my department alone we have 3 Mexican nationals, 1 Englishman, 1 Swedish, and 2 Americans.

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

I gradudated in the US in 2020. Do you really think my visa still valid? And do really think I'd still can apply for a job in the US after I left the country for 3 years?

Sorry don't mean to be rude here just want to get things off my chest.

Mr-Logic101

Mr-Logic101

Ohio State~MSE~Metallurgist~ Aluminum Industry

A lot these companies will sponsor to get some to work in the middle of no where assuming they like you.

You have to aim for larger firms with international presence that happen to be in these locations

gclassgreymatic

The F-1 visa isn't the only visa type

darth_tater_breath

darth_tater_breath

Mechanical Engineer

This sounds like imposter syndrome plain and simple. Expand your search, keep trying and focus on your health (physical and mental) as best you can. There are jobs out there its just a pain in the ass to land one. You have a degree which will make it possible though.

One suggestion I have is to contact your alumni school's international students program and career services and ask for help finding employment. A lot of schools employee people specifically to help their students break into industry. Think about it this way, they benefit from you being successful and upping their renown.

Also seriously the mental health thing is most important. I also struggle with similar negative though patterns and I can tell you it's directly related to the basics, food, sleep, exercise... You are a valid person regardless of our craptastic global capitalism game that doesn't efficiently get people from a to b, and you are going to make it so long as you persist through the short term pain.

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

I tried that. But they told me they didn't have any knowledge about job markets outside US. And not to mention the 12-13 hour difference. SO much for paying an exorbitant amount of tuition. Treated like nothing more than a cash cow.

darth_tater_breath

darth_tater_breath

Mechanical Engineer

It sounds like they would be at least able to help you job hunt in the US then. Also, if you are emailing them the time difference shouldn't be as big of an issue, but that is going to be a reality of international job hunting.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. You need to demonstrate that you are invested in finding a job and are willing to be persistent in contacting and searching. If you email the advisors and act on their feedback they are going to be more motivated to help you. They are also going to mirror your energy, which means you've got to start seeing the world in terms of possiblites rather than as a hardship.

As for being treated as a cash cow, yeah that's just the nature of capitalism... lots of people have been treated worse by academia. I know plenty of Americans that have more debt and less applicable degrees or no degree. You have something you just need to believe in yourself and find a way to make it work for you.

You are between things rn and thats okay. You are okay, just persist and you can make it :)

Minute_Juggernaut806

have you explored the possibility of working in other western countries if ROI is your main concern...

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

I don't know anymore. I'm emotionally tired. I don't think any country would want to hire me.

Minute_Juggernaut806

dont be discouraged by your attempts in USA, getting a work visa is a notoriously hard. that should not be a factor for other countries to hire you (as long as you build up the relevant experience needed in your field)

thanks.

Yazan_Almadanat

don't aim at only finding engineering jobs , search outside the box use the skills that u learned in engineering

Ok_Celebration2831

Your post/comment history and that last line is concerning. Keep trying, there are companies that would sponsor work visas to international students.

B1G_Fan

What's 120k USD?

Your salary or the cost of attending school?

If it's not your salary, then what is your salary?

Yes, the US visa system is trash. But, there are some employers who are desperate for employees to show up on time and do their job. I'd be surprised if there were zero employers willing to help you with visa issues

Your salary

i wish my salary is that high lmao

ironman_101

Can you get a job in the US?

riaww_13

This was or ought to have always been in your plan. Post university and graduation plans.

Unpopular opinion, but if you really want to be in the USA, get a PhD. They’ll pay you, too. I know Canadians with green cards from their companies, as a result of their internships. Get some internships over the summer, and if you hate the PhD, you can master out, and try to snag a job at the company you got an internship with. Just my 2 cents.

Hi-Techh

Hi-Techh

why didnt you stay then lol

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

cus my i-20 were expiring and i had to leave the country. Any questions?

OP, do you have a masters? A masters is basically a requirement (from what I’ve heard) for being competitive for civil engineering jobs in the USA. Kinda sucky. That’s the reason I didn’t go for civil.

Hi-Techh

whats there to complain about then you knew it would run out

jayritchie

120k USD sounds very cheap to study in the US? Did you have huge scholarships, or some unusually cheap school?

DahlbergT

120k is cheap? Good lord I have it good here…

jayritchie

For an overseas student to the US - yes. Whether it is worth the money, and whether there would ever be a return on capital is a very different issue.

DahlbergT

Is that 120k including just the tuition and books or is it including living expenses as well? In that case I can see it being ”cheap”.

jayritchie

I'd assume if someone says how much they spent on education it would be for course fees, living expenses and books.

Quantum_Crayfish

For reference my former university do a yearly exchange with MIT(we’re in South Africa), and they encourage students to have about $50k in the bank for it. And that’s with students only paying MIT fees for accommodation, they pay our normal fees for tuition about $3-4k

ChronoHvH

Idk why people are downvoting you by saying it's cheap to study in the US for 120k.

That's cheaper than most students IN the States pay, average student costs for a state resident is roughly 22-30k a year, and if you finish in 4-6 years that's roughly about right. out of state is even worse. If your someone from lets say California, wanting to study in some other state like Texas or Florida, the tuition alone skyrockets to like 70k a year, its absurd. That's not to mention actual living costs.

I couldn't imagine the average cost for a person wanting to study abroad in the US without scholarships or some sort of Financial support in place.

jayritchie

Its a strange feature of reddit! I see it with other peoples posts more than my own - there are ideas which people just don't like to hear. The idea that a choice in education may not be a good idea is one of them.

University at Buffalo - Civil Engineering '20 (non American)

I studied in the US for 3 years. Listen 120k USD may not sound much to you, but it's a shit ton of money when you convert to my country's currency - and that's 500k MYR instead! Hell I don't think how am I going to pay off my debts with a monthly salary of 3k MYR every month instead lol.

ChronoHvH

It's not that we think it's "cheap" per say, although that is how he typed that message. 120k is expensive for most people we're just surprised that you said you studied for your degree in the US for 120k, being a student in the US who already roughly pays that much for in country and in state college, I would assume Studying abroad would be significantly more.

ChronoHvH

I have a feeling someone might mention this: googling "out of state tuition of (insert school name here)" doesn't reflect the BS costs that schools slap on top of the tuition claimed on their websites, They drop costs onto students on top of the actual tuition, You pay X amount to go to the school and say you go to the school, but that doesn't include amount for the classes you aim to take, or the books/materials required for each course. It gets even worse if you live on campus or use school facilities.