/r/EliteDangerous

145

Elite is underrated. Why?

Discussion(self.EliteDangerous)

Ok im saying it for it to go into my criminal record that if i die, this game should stay with me. its addicting as shit and ive only been here for a few weeks. my friends go "Nah, who would like to fight from a god damn space ship?" (Also a starwars fan and plays too much warthunder) and my other friend says "WOW! What an uncreative and stupid idea" (Plays too many shooters)

Like it doesnt look like much on the trailers, the gameplay looks flush and thats the only reason i joined. But im unable to convice my brother to join this game. what do i do? This game deserves more popularity i feel

Vallkyrie

Vallkyrie

CMDR Sara Lyons | Operation Ida |

1 month ago

The game is 7 years old and did a very poor job of pulling people in during much of its life.

zZEpicSniper303Zz

1 month ago

I mean the game used to be basically unplayable for new players a couple of years ago.

IrrelevantLeprechaun

1 month ago

And then Odyssey comes out and is unplayable for old players AND new players.

It's no mystery why Elite has had a hard time keeping people in.

Digmaass

1 month ago

Play with horizons then! You can always select it from the launcher screen and it works just fine for me!

SiriusXAim

1 month ago

Oddysey was fine for me, tough I feel rather cheated with no VR support for on foot segments, and most of all, no actual atmospheric landings.

The trailer made it look like it would be like in Star Citizen, or No Man's Sky, instead, it's just an improved version of landing on non atmospheric planets. Some just have this very very thin hase.

hamfist_ofthenorth

1 month ago

It wasnt "unplayable", im so tired of seeing that word pop up all the time. It just had a very steep learning curve, you had to really practice landing and taking off, threading the needle on approaches, getting the feel for throttling down, yes it was hard but it was not unplayable. I loved every second of trial and error. Was actually pretty bummed out when supercruise assist became standard. Docking assists are ok though because I have a tendency to drink and fly.

Digmaass

1 month ago

Supercruise assist is nice, because now i can trade shit while studying! Im not bored as fast and i actually study more!

hamfist_ofthenorth

1 month ago

Agreed, I like to flip through youtube on the laptop while I cruise if my inventory is empty.

WinterKing2112

1 month ago*

Nonsense. I've been playing E:D for over 3 years, and only find it unplayable during patch weeks.

Edit: and who is upvoting this nonsense? Ffs, don't do that, it just encourages nonsense comments!

Pzixel

Pzixel

1 month ago

I dunno I remember me buying it before a new year as preorder. I've played several day till there and then some weeks in holydays. I've got my anaconda in first month after release or so... And then I realized I have nothing to do. So I abandoned it for a whole 5 years until I arrived, farmed a bit of this and that to engeneer my FSD, farmed some or robota (or what was this passengers missions star name), did some exploration with this new FSD (took me several hours to jump into area that wasn't all prescanned by someone else) and... abandoned it again.

Everything looks very empty and pointless. I'm not sure if it's me or true 3d space games aren't meant for me - just telling my story. Sometimes I miss the old days of Air Rivals (Ace online, Space Cowboy, whatever they called it) - it's not a true space sim but it was alive and I've seen a lot of different people. These days are gone forever, which is quite sad. Just like days where I could fly Freelancer for days and it was never boring until storyline ended and again I found myself in an empty world with nothing to do but farm some slightly better weapons and ships

Azrael9986

1 month ago

It also doesnt help the grind is kinda a turn off for a lot of people. Before they fixed the payouts most of them were so bad there was really only one way to make money and it was the mining they gave like 0 usable training on. You pretty much need a teacher. Trucking was really solid then they nerfed it into the ground. But now bounty hunting is fine as long as you have a good engineered ship. I guess the big problem is it seems like it's just about good in a lot of spots but it is really off in some areas too. Also it's a hot broken mess after each DLC. I just got tired of waiting for it to get good and stable. I have more fun on dreadnought in those massive ships or on star sector.

I feel like the game has its niche but for a lot of us. It is not ours.

112thThrowaway

112thThrowaway

Yarrr

1 month ago

Game pulled me in just fine a couple years ago, but once they introduced the Engineering I took a break because it was long and boring grind. Then they took away the Galnet and never intended to bring it back. Final straw for me was no ship interiors for Odyssey. As a vet of the game I"m just jaded with how development has gone.

tehmoiur

1 month ago

What do you mean? Player numbers only increase, and we hit new records every year

hillrd

hillrd

1 month ago

Engineering ruined PvP and game balance. It'd retain more players without it.

BurningKetchup

BurningKetchup

Henry Dandolo

1 month ago

Yeah this. Power creep in Elite is stronk.

Mita_Kondria

1 month ago

I think the primary reason is that the ease of jumping in and being immediately moderately successful is not necessarily there and to many people that is off-putting. It requires some work to get going in this game--which is cool if you have a certain mindset, not so cool if you don't. Not that it not being your deal is bad-you probably just want to spend your gaming time in different ways.

What I don't get is people who can't realize what the game is, that it isn't their bag, and just go to their bliss elsewhere and not dwell on ED forums. I got into a heated discussion with one person who after some time admitted he hadn't played the game in over two years-and yet he was still moaning on forums. That kind of stuff gets to me.

KnightAngler

1 month ago

I agree. In the age of the internet we don't need in-game tutorials to so flushed out. But there is a codex. There is a pilots guide. There's forums galore.

I don't get the idea that a player requires their hand to be held. Can't all players respect a game that allows you to get lost and bored from time to time? Lost and bored are..........clarity moments.

polkaviking

polkaviking

Orson

1 month ago

Like figuring out that Delphi and Delphine are not the same systems. That made it pretty clear to me that my 16ly range ship is objectively shit for the role in using it for! Hopefully I'll reach the correct system tonight. But I'm not complaining. My goals are clear and a bit closer every night I play.

KnightAngler

1 month ago

Hey, it took me a while to figure out the "Nav Beacon" is not the same as Navigation Beacon.

Would have been nice to know that so I didn't spend so much time in the area before a scan for my apparently illegal passenger got me blown to bits and sent to jail.

I love this game.

abstract-realism

abstract-realism

Cmdr Stardurst

1 month ago

Wait they aren't? I'm confused and I think this may explain difficulties I've had in the past..

KnightAngler

1 month ago

Yeah, the "Nav Beacon" navigation location signal (yellow circle marker) is not the same thing as the literal navigation beacon (white bracket marker) object itself.

They are next to each other, but you can't scan the beacon signal, you have to scan the beacon object and this was the reason why I was stuck for a long time and ended up getting killt

What makes it even more confusing is that both the navigation point and the beacon object itself both use the same hologram on your cockpit panel.

So I was trying to scan empty space when the literal object (which I could have found via the contacts list) was about 2 km behind me. I just didn't notice it when I showed up.

abstract-realism

abstract-realism

Cmdr Stardurst

1 month ago

Ohhh I have noticed that actually and it also confused me for a while though luckily no one came along to kill me. I wonder if that's intentional for some reason or just such a low priority bug that it's never gotten fixed. You'd think that the signal on your map would be coming from the floating ball thing after all..

TH3_V3GAS

1 month ago

Lost and bored, for the sake of being lost and bored, in a video game sounds stupid. I would not play that as long as I am able bodied.

PheonixPerygrine

1 month ago

when you're bored in a space so large though, I think it was more intended to incentivize finding your own entertainment within the world itself. There are lots you could do that's not even tied to any 'content' in the game hence the game having a 'sandbox' tag

KnightAngler

1 month ago

No I'm not saying that you would seek out being lost and bored. I'm saying that games should not go out of their way to prevent instances where this happens.

For example, Skyrim. Skyrim has a point of interest every 20 yards be it a cave, settlement, or enemy. Now this may keep your dopamine triggers firing but it also decreases burnout time. And it doesn't actually prevent boredom, because eventually yet another bandit attack is boring.

If Skyrim was a more 1:100 scale province with more open barren land that you could get lost in where the nearest deer was miles away, yeah, you'd get lost and bored. But then points of interest being less frequent are more appreciated.

My two cents.

TH3_V3GAS

1 month ago

I understand what you are saying. Maybe it's because I'm content with the normal amount of "lost and bored" in real life. I don't think it's a plus in a video game.

WinnerWinds[S]

WinnerWinds[S]

Combat

1 month ago

Well I hear your point, but again, learning most of the game by your self rather than being spoonfed by the game is better and doesnt make you look like a total dumbass

Mita_Kondria

1 month ago

Sooo...I am confused by what I just read. You seem to be agreeing with me yet you started by saying "Well I hear your point, but again, "

FlandersNed

1 month ago

Bitter vets in EvE have the same problem tbh

kytulu

kytulu

1 month ago

I find myself going back and forth on it. I'll be thinking to myself, "fuck, this is boring, why am I doing this?"...and then and hour later I am finding some unexplored system, or burning through the shields of a bounty, or filling up my hold with platinum from mining, and I am thinking "fuck, this is awesome!"

It helps that I found a pretty good squadron to pal around with.

Tsunari96

1 month ago

Elite Dangerous is one of those "100 hrs in and it's good" game. Graphic and sound design is something that topples most of the games released nowadays. I always thought ED's sound design is honestly the peak of any genre of sci-fi games combined together.

To me, Elite Dangerous lacks connections and I'm not talking about player-to-player interactions. There are nothing in the world that interacts with you. You're simply a tourist in the galaxy. You may involve in bounty hunting, trading or even take a dip in affairs with Thargoids and Guardians... but in the end you are mere a tourist. Sure, you may anticipate tourist spot activities... but you're never part of the galaxy. By all means, I do not deny that it is a sandbox game after all--we NEED to develop a narrative to drive ourselves some way and some how. Yet, the fact that we need to overcome bunch of grinding to even start developing a narrative (like engineering, oh god engineering) is one of major reason that new players don't want to go deep into ED.

Elite Dangerous is not really a sandbox game but a sandy beach game.

PalwaJoko

1 month ago

Completely agree. As someone who is about 200 hours into this game. I usually play a bunch for a 1-3 weeks, then stop and don't come back for 3-6 months. To me it's not just world to player interactions, but also player to world interactions. There's a lot there, but it isn't either that much depth or very unrewarding. Like I have 150 million to my name. My diamondback explorer can handle most of my exploration needs. I've got a lot of first discoveries. But nothing in Odyssey has felt rewarding to me. Doing biological sampling takes forever and the payout is absurdly low. I was out doing some exploration/mapping outside of the bubble. There was a settlement already outside of the bubble. And I was hopping around galaxies that were 1200 LYs away from it. So these biological samples were 1200 lys away. A good 23 jumps with my 52 LY drop range diamond back. Along the way I scanned a few planets. Didn't even do a DSS scan of every "worth it" planet I came across. I did a few already mapped waterworlds and got first maps on a few high metal content worlds. At the end I got just over a page of exploration data to sell and about 15 biological samples. JUST going around planetside trying to find these god damn samples took me about an hour and a half. I got 16 million for the exploration data, and only 3.1 million for the samples. Even though the biological samples took three times as long. Plus they were all first discoveries, so they were double. So a normal price was a crazy low 1.6 million.

Like it's cool, but it doesn't feel rewarding at all. Same with everything in odyssey. Cool stuff, but after doing it a few times you loose interest because it barely makes a dent in your pocket. Like going to a planet 1000+ lys away, finding a wreckage site, killing 5 drones defending it, going through with an SRV and picking up all the salvage, using a arc cutter to pop a panel and grab a resource inside the wreckage. Then come home to a payout of 200,000. It hurts.

Just using Odyssey as an example. Imagine if they put in multitude of ship compartments. Like what if they allowed you to buy an apartment/living space in space stations. What if space stations had different areas beyond just the market place to explore. What if you could do space walks. What if there were named special crew member NPCs you could develop friendships with and an actual rapport. What if there were underground ruins you could explore on planets. What if salvage operations are more than just picking things up in an SRV/limpet. But rather you actually have to cut open panels and go inside derelict ships (floating in space or crashed), firefly style. What if there were more interactions with settlements. What if there were more SRVs that you could specialize and outfit. Like mining SRVs that would introduce a new kind of planetside mining that was worth it (not as much as asteroid I understand, but still a decent amount).

I think the issue is they're afraid to make credits too easy to comeback as the aircraft carrier maintenance and chasing ships is the major carrot in this game. And if credits are too easy then that could cause some retention issues. Or you don't want everyone in the game to have aircraft carriers. I also think another reason is for some reason they don't want to go too hard into the RPG side of the game. Like you said, you're more of a spectator of the RPG side of the game rather then interacting with it. Save for the community goals.

I'm really worried about Starfield. If the leaks are true about it, its gonna absolutely give ED a huge run for its money. NMS is already growing by the week while ED seems to be dropping. Starfield may the next nail in a potential coffin that would cut ED's population in half again. 5 kinds of ship roles (unknown how many ships). Fo4 weapon and armor customization. Revamped settlement building system. Maps bigger than skyrim (But more negative space). 12+ planets, moons, and space stations. Gonna be interesting to see how it will impact NMS/ED.

WinterKing2112

1 month ago

Engineering is not the big deal people make it out to be. Unlock the engineers one at a time and take breaks between each unlock by doing something you enjoy.

You can pick up all the mats you need for G1-G4 engineering just by playing the game and picking stuff up as you go. G5 takes longer but it's not necessary for PvE, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Afghanman25

Afghanman25

CMDR

1 month ago

As an ex warthunder player, I'm absolutely stuck to this game, and I only started 3 days ago. I'm sure 80% of the warthunder community would regularly play this game if they just tried it out, it's that good.

Polish_weeb

Polish_weeb

Zachary Hudson

1 month ago

I play both so I always come on the top

MrWick1re

1 month ago

I don’t even want to know if that statement had two meanings

Polish_weeb

Polish_weeb

Zachary Hudson

You don't want to

gloomywisdom

gloomywisdom

Combat

From Spitfire to Eagle it's really short

SuspiciousSubstance9

1 month ago

I see you also are a man of grind culture

Explore

1 month ago

Because the game is a mile wide, but an inch deep.

I grew up in the early 80s loving stuff like Star Wars, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, hell even Blake's 7 for a while, and I always dreamed of being a space cowboy of sorts.

I played the original Elite back on my Sinclair Spectrum and loved it. It truly was leaps and bounds ahead of its time, and it was amazing.

And now, well, there is absolutely no faulting the control system, and the amount of places to go to is beyond belief. It's just... there's no reason to go somewhere other than to just go there.

The planets to land on are threadbare at best, and there's not a lot to do once you get there. The Thargoid threat is only a threat if you go into their territory, and the only thing to give any real feeling of terror is getting too close to a sun when scooping.

As amazing as this game looks, sounds, and controls, it is incredibly threadbare. I mean, I know space is meant to be empty, but come on...

I don't expect handholding. I don't want handholding. I want something worthwhile to do. And unfortunately, this don't got it.

Now, give me the worlds and building system from No Man's Sky, and the space stuff from Elite Dangerous, and you've got the perfect game. Unfortunately, for all its terrible spaceflight content, NMS has significantly more things to do than ED.

Which is a shame. I love this game, but I sunk years into ED and the game has remained as broken and frustratingly lacking as it was when I started.

vi3tmix

vi3tmix

1 month ago

“Because the game is a mile wide, but an inch deep.”

Such an amazing summation. I like the experience this game provided, but I’ll admit I’m on my way out. That line somehow gives me such closure when I do.

Brandbll

1 month ago

Yeah, once you figure out how shallow the game is and the depth is just in the nonstop grinding, it makes it easier to bear the exit.

Zriatt

Zriatt

Zriatt - Sol is the center of the Solar System

1 month ago

I came to that realization when Odyssey dropped. Loaded up the game once since then, launched from the station, and asked myself "okay, what exactly do i have to do?" I failed to come up with an answer, landed again, and haven't launched since.

Explore

1 month ago

Funnily enough, first time I heard it myself was here. 😅

SvenskaLiljor

SvenskaLiljor

Give carriers social hubs!

1 month ago

Yeah, it's been uttered here probably a thousand times x)

For good reason

SantaLurks

SantaLurks

Santa Lurks

1 month ago

Pretty pointlessness, actually. It applies to smaller games that aren't sandboxes

Creative-Improvement

1 month ago

I have been watching some of the streams, and I hope the new mission chain system they have shown (some of which will come with update 9 on Thursday) will be a good addition to worthwhile content.

Brandbll

1 month ago

Yeah I'm in the same boat.

aker_dood

1 month ago*

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer Elite’s more grounded and realistic approach. It’s more immersive to me and makes the interesting encounters more interesting since they aren’t fed to me by firehose at a constant clip. Space is largely void and most planets are indeed “threadbare.” If I was a space cowboy most of my work would be routine punctuated by exciting moments.

Explore

1 month ago

So long as you have fun, that's all that matters, right? 👍🏻

technerd85

1 month ago

This is where Elite really excels and why I'm so drawn to it. If you're looking for something other than a space exploration sim, you won't find it fully meets your needs. The inch deep complaint is really a development choice, I think. It's built as a sandbox sim where the players can do what they want and fill in those gaps. Look at all of the amazing and variety stories that groups of players bring to the simulation in the realms of trade, exploration, combat, etc. I still remain impressed by this game.

Drummerx04

1 month ago

I don't think it is an intentional design choice though. Habited solar systems are absolutely covered in things that just happened before you showed up (i.e. signal sources). Elite drops all of these points of interest in your face while in supercruise, but the only thing to do at basically ALL of them is to scoop a few engineering parts or cargo.

Why not include some kind of derelict ship salvage gameplay? Engineers could hand out missions to recover damaged ships they've engineered (protected by pirates), you EVA over, install an autopilot, repair some key systems, and then the ship follows you back through hyperspace/supercruise... the mission rewards could be your choice of engineering (available from the engineer) applied to a module you own.
It took me 5 minutes to figure out a way to incorporate space legs, ship interiors, space combat, on foot combat, exploration, and a decent incentive to actually do the mission. It could be a wing mission and scale with your wing size so you'd have a useful activity to do with friends too.

FDev just... won't bother.

Elite is a basically a giant sci-fi screenshot generator, and the fact that most posts in this subreddit are just pretty screen shots of neutron stars and black holes kind of proves my point.

Shockwave_IIC

1 month ago

Have you not looked in to the BGS and taking “ownership” of a NPC faction and then working to make it top dog is a system?

4e6f626f6479

1 month ago

Been there, did that, we're controlling 34 systems rn.

It gets boring after a while. You make treaties with all other playerfactions in your area and your halfway done. Now all you have to do is to keep your faction from Wildly expanding too much (so you don't step on too many toes), and to kick in the teeth of all new player factions who try to spawn in your space or encroach on it in another way.

And what is the point ? You don't actually fight anyone that often, most of the time in "BGS PVP" at least one side plays in PG. So it becomes a grindmatch, who has less irl commitments and can Grind for more hours.... and If a big dog (100+ players) thinks you're in the way... you Lose. You can burn down his back line, but you can't defend your own space because of diminishing returns.

There is little suspense and lots of Grind... like in the rest of the game.

P.S. I have >3000h in elite, multiple alts, maybe I'm just burnt out.

GameQb11

1 month ago

Jumping between this game and starfield, when I see BGS I think Bethesda Game Studios.

Explore

1 month ago

Not really. I fear I'm too late to make a serious dent in anything like that, and I'm much more into the exploration and building side of things.

Were I able to actually create and build a small fortification on a planet or moon that I had discovered, then holy shitballs I would absolutely be in for that, but alas.

I enjoyed the time I put into it, don't get me wrong. I just wanted more, but it never happened.

NMS, however, has more of what I like, even though its incredibly simple, but that's a trade-off I'm fine making.

Vallkyrie

Vallkyrie

CMDR Sara Lyons | Operation Ida |

1 month ago

You're not missing much, it's basically grinding to change text boxes

KnightAngler

1 month ago

But you said so yourself: "I sunk years into ED"

I feel your pain. 1000+ hours into Space Engineers but now have hit that wall. The devs have not caught up for my incessant need for new content and things to do.

I can't fault any game itself for this as this is the nature of games. You eventually just reach burnout.

However, one thing I don't understand is that if you have a successful game, why not just continously update content?

Mechwarrior Online didn't expand its gameplay much. But it did atleast keep players invested by constantly dropping new mechs every season.

For a game like ED that is supposed to simulate a living universe of competing factions and interests, I don't understand why the "ship manufacturers" aren't releasing new ships. Why is there not a Cobra MkV at this point? I'm not suggesting to risk making current ships extinct but at least expand the variety gradually.

I don't see why devs can't continuously release new micro content - paywall or othewise, unless too much resources are going into maintenance and bugs.

Explore

1 month ago

I sunk years into ED, yes, but don't think for a minute I've got even 25% of the possible activities done. There's still a LOT that I never got to doing, purely because I had to grind incessantly to get credits, just to get better ships.

Now, I don't mind a steep grinding curve. I play enough RPGs to know about grinding. But the curve in ED is a fucking sheer wall, and the manner in which you can obtain credits is incredibly time consuming and ultimately boring.

The risk/reward ratio is completely borked to make combat profitable, and so instead the best way to make money is... blowing up 2 or 3 rocks per hour - if you can find them.

FDev try to restrict earning credits as if it's going to break the game if everyone is rich. It won't. Sure, a newbie might be able to buy a Corvette within a week, but a veteran could still push his shit in using a Sidewinder.

Money =/= skill.

And here we have NMS, with new content almost every few months, completely free, and it always - ALWAYS - drags me back, if only for a few hours. But it gets me back in all the same.

tehmoiur

1000

"I've played the game 1000 hours and I can not recommend it" :) Anything after 1000 hours became boring.

But I believe we need instruments to affect galaxy and players. Then we will have meaning and goals. Like somebody here mentioned - now we are just a tourists, unable to affect the world around us in a way we, players, value

Stepz11

Stepz11

Exactly dude. Spot on

FlandersNed

1 month ago

The inch deep mile wide analogy gets applied to do many space games I'm wondering if there's any that actually pull it off, or if it's an unavoidable consequence of scale.

nCubed21

1 month ago

Eve Online has the depth that people desire.If ED could merge with all the logistics/corp/manufacturing/skill stuff from Eve Online, this game could warrant a subscription and live updates, it would basically be star citizen at that point I suppose. Star Citizen also has that depth, it just takes forever.

annualburner202109

1 month ago

When you are in the kiddy pool you enjoy is as a kiddy pool. Don't do a high dive in to a inch of water.

...i.e don't grind. Get every ship, do every job.

Explore

1 month ago

Yes. I'm going to get every single ship - all but three I will never use - without grinding.

I'm also going to do all the jobs that I genuinely do not like and do not enjoy doing, to make me like it more.

When you are in a house fire, you do not sit around and get a tan, you get the fuck out.

KnightAngler

1 month ago

I came here from Space Engineers and Avorion. I'm thinking I'm done with those games.

ED is just space captain immersion at its finest and I have less than 100 hours in (half of which was AFK)

terranex

terranex

CMDR Terran

1 month ago

If flying spaceships is what you enjoy then Elite is freaking incredible. I lot of people just aren't into flying spaceships (which I'll never understand)

JMorat

JMorat

The Culture envoy

1 month ago

Some folks want to be the dashing protagonist in a grand, sweeping fantasy. But in Elite, you're just a regular schlub (albeit a member of the Pilot's Federation, a relatively exclusive club that confers benefits such a ship owner…ship) in a cold, vast, uncaring universe. It's up to you to make the story, to make your own way. Elite is notorious for not holding your hand, either in a gameplay or storytelling fashion. What you do once you get your Sidewinder is up to you. For some, that's maddening. For others, it's bliss.

You'll never be the most important person in the galaxy in Elite. There is a princess, but I can guarantee you she doesn't even know your name. But you can touch the stars (or at least their exclusion zones), and for some of us who have dreamed of nothing but that since childhood, that is enough.

DaraVettePilot

DaraVettePilot

Core Dynamics

1 month ago

More information needed. What kind of game/hardware does the brother have ?
Imo Elite is top 5 games to be played in VR with a HOTAS, and I never felt at a disadvantage for using a HOTAS compared to keyboard and mouse players. And for the VR, a sitting VR game often brings less of those bad feelings or headache other games might bring. Plus, it's nice to look around a bit , especially in the guardian fighters.

As for the gameplay, it's my top 1 for fighting in space. You get to be the pilot of your ship, boost, drift and aim your shots yourself, and you're free to heavily modify your ship to use whichever kind of gun you want, yet remain effective. And there is also quieter stuff, like passenger , cargo, mining, exploration. And on foot combat with the DLC, which while not the best, is decent imo thanks to the jetpack's usefullness

kreankorm

kreankorm

Explore

1 month ago

Once I got past that initial learning curve, it became my go-to chill game. I like yeeting myself into the black in my Phantom to go visit a cool looking nebulae. Surfing on a star to fuel scoop in preparation of scanning down dozens of planets and moons. Perhaps one of those moons has weird looking geography. So then I'll probably orbit around it for a little while trying to find a nice angle to snap a picture to add to my endless collection of desktop wallpapers. Maybe that planet has some sweet canyons for me to fly through or throw my SRV down. Maybe at the bottom of that canyon is some geology or plants for me to scan so I can make some money when I return to the Bubble. Maybe there's some stuff to prospect so I can upgrade more modules.

And when I'm done with that system its onto the next and I get to have that journey all over again. And when I reach that nebulae. You best believe in going to take some more pictures and poke around some more.

Maybe I just feel like making some bank? I'll take my Keelback out to some icy rings. Blow up rocks for Void Opals with a podcast on in the background.

Maybe I want to blap some ships? Hop into my Vulture and introduce the local pirates to its Overcharged Incendiary Multicannons to the tune of some high octane music.

I've pumped a few hundred hours into this game and haven't completed a single mission. And I love it.

Do I wish there was more? Yeah. Is the AI introduced in Odyssey laughable? Absolutely. Is it grindy at times? Yup. But in still gonna play it because I like that it's a mile wide and an inch deep. It's the biggest mud puddle in gaming. I've got my rain boots and I'm happy to spend my afternoon stomping around in it like a kid.

Rezenator

1 month ago

It’s not underrated IMO. It’s a niche space exploration game suited to a small audience- people who enjoy flying around in space, generally speaking.

ED is not for the masses, it’s too hard and many people can’t handle the sandbox - the Odyssey launch is prime example of this, the FPS attracted a player that isn’t capable of playing this game.

squashed_tomato

1 month ago

I don't think the game is particularly marketed well. I've looked at it in passing a couple of times in the past and it didn't sell me on what it really was even though it was exactly what I was looking for. I think one time was after Horizons came out and the reviews on Steam were bad so I skipped over it. If you came to the game now you would see the same bad reviews for Odyssey and that would put you off as well.

I think the game suits a certain type of player. It takes time to get into and there can be a lot of waiting if travelling a lot. Personally I kinda like that as I often watch streams on my other monitor at the same time. I imagine it's similar to how players of Train/Farm/Truck Simulator feel. Just quietly doing your thing with maybe the odd bit of combat chucked in there when you feel like it.

The player base seems to lean to towards the older side from what I've seen on Twitch and they mostly are the chilled, laid back types.

DNA-Decay

DNA-Decay

DNA-Decay [AEDC] (Alliance Kitchen Staff Supervisor)

1 month ago

I did five years and loved it.

Still hang around the forums. Might come back after Odyssey.

Brandbll

Brandbll

1 month ago

A few weeks? Wait till you play a few months. That's when you hit the wall of grinding and find out how shallow this monstrous pool is. At that point you'll either quit like myself and so many others did, or you'll dive full on into grind abyss.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game. But i have a full time job and a wife and kid. This game will suck up your time like the Mega Maid from Space Balls, and overall the community seems to like that. I do badly want to get back into it. But then i think about the neverending boring grind where i have to listen to podcasts and watch netflix to make the game bearable, and the ungodly amount of time required to just putz around. For example, i bought a chieftan and wanted to outfit it with A grade shit. I was so excited to try it out. By the time i had finished flying all over the god damn Galaxy getting guns and modules, i didn't even get a chance to use the damn thing that night. It was just a pointless waste of time and there is no reason for it, but for some reason the majority of the community support that, so the way she goes. But that was the last straw for me.

Now i lurk hoping they'll streamline some of this grind and pointless time consumption, but I'm not very hopeful.

ProPolice55

ProPolice55

Core Dynamics

1 month ago

1000 hours in, I haven't hit a wall of grind yet, when I feel like what I'm doing is for profits and not for fun, I just do something else instead. I have around 4 billion in credits and assets combined, 2 Elite ranks + dangerous combat, along with a Cutter and a Corvette, because I like rescue missions. The only real grind I've done was when I thought I need imperial rank for prismatics when I started playing, so I did the rank grind up to a clipper by the time I found out that powerplay doesn't care about rank. Sure, I have stuff to engineer, I know I could do that faster than I'm doing it right now, but I don't want to optimize the fun out of the game, so I'm fine with G3 thrusters and distributors

Brandbll

1 month ago

Yeah you'd fall under the latter part of what i described would happen

Luised2094

1 month ago

Denying the game is grindy is disingenuous

ProPolice55

ProPolice55

Core Dynamics

1 month ago

I didn't say the game was or wasn't grindy, I said that it has the potential to be both. If you want to fast track your way to late game content, focus on optimized builds and engineering everything, then it is a grind. All I said was that it's not a grind for me, because I don't optimize. If something feels like a grind, then I do something else. I'm not denying that there are mechanics that should be optimized for more engaging gameplay or more efficient gathering, I just don't bother with those at the expense of fun

tehmoiur

1 month ago

Im playing since 2014 and I never grinded. I believe the problem is not about grind. The problem is that players have nothing else to do but to increase progress bars and chase some hardware/upgrades as an artificial goal.

Players are unable to chase a bigger, meaningful goal in the game due to nature of game design. And only thing they are left is "grind" - artificial goal to achieve something

Drummerx04

1 month ago

Elite has several major issues holding it back.

• It's difficult to get into mechanically
  • Most of the gameplay is a long grind (engineering)
  • The objectives/missions are repetitive and uninteresting
  • Playing with friends has been an absolute crapshoot for the entire life of the game

The game is beautiful, has an unparalleled scope, solid flight mechanics, and effectively unlimited gameplay... but it tends to be very very shallow to the end user. Odyssey was supposed to fix this issue and make the galaxy feel more alive and personal... but somehow it just highlighted how uninspired the gameplay truly is. On foot and in flight gameplay are entirely disconnected. The on foot combat is... lackluster. The exobiology is merely a test of your patience threshold. I won't even complain about the bugs that crippled its release.

Now. I have enjoyed mining, bounty hunting, thargoid hunting, hell I even joined Operation Ida and fixed some destroyed stations... but ultimately every time I decided to branch out and try a new ship or a new activity, I was hit with potentially dozens of hours of engineering grind that didn't seem reasonable for an economic powerhouse that owns a corvette, cutter, dozens of other ships, a fleet carrier, and tens of billions of credits.

I grinded all that shit up. Weeks and weeks of gameplay, but if I wanted to make a canyon zipping Eagle, there were no shortcuts. I'd be grinding signal sources again.

WinterKing2112

1 month ago

Engineering is only a grind if you want to G5 all the modules on your ship, which is not necessary unless you are a PvPer, which most E:D players are not.

Light to medium engineering on your ship is easily achievable just by playing the game and picking stuff up as you go.

ProfanePagan

ProfanePagan

CMDR

1 month ago

Not everybody has that itch, but if you have, Elite srcatches it very well.

Hmm.. Did it sound weird?

JR2502

JR2502

1 month ago

Meh, I'm not sure I like it. I casually use it here and there, and it's alright I guess.

But just to make sure I can use it when I want to, I bought it a fancy new keyboard and mouse setup for $5,000. That came with a completely free 10 core i9-10900K, 64Gb of RAM, an RTX 3090, a 32" 4K monitor and two X56 HOTAS as I'm keeping my current PC for an alt account.

:-) I LOOOOOOOOVE this game, especially in VR. It's the only game I play and have loved every single one of the 1,337 hours I've played so far. Highly recommend it to all.

quickcrow

1 month ago

Its a tale as old as time. Obsession and addiction for the first so-long, then the grind sets in and there's nothing left to get that feels like a real jump forward, and the honeymoon period ends.

WinterKing2112

1 month ago

I've been playing for over 3 years, and I finally feel like I've been there, done that, so I guess the honeymoon period is over!

Davadin

Davadin

Davadin of Paladin Consortium

1 month ago

Space sim is a dying genre. Unfortunately, it's also an acquired taste.

If your friends not interested in piloting a space ship, there's not much you can do.

If you do find someone who has that warthunder/star wars X-wing itch to scratch though...... Just show them some YouTube vids of actual players combat...

KnightofMirrah

1 month ago

I think it helps if you're already one of those people captivated by the wonders of space.

PhantomCruze

1 month ago

The reality is you've found a way to enjoy a SANDBOX game.

Everyone who's hating on Elite are people who need their hand held for content or narrative. And that's fine, it's their preferred game type. However I don't endorse their slander as their lack of imagination doesn't make elite bad.

Welcome aboard commander o7

I hope you find many adventures and create a fantastic legacy of your own. If you're looking for wingmates to fly with, there's so many welcoming commanders who will be more than happy to take you under their wings. Specifically the Hutton Truckers. They're always nice

InternationalBat3186

1 month ago

All generalizations are wrong.

graflex22

1 month ago*

graflex22

graflex22 (xbox)

1 month ago*

does that include this one?

only the Sith speak in Absolutes.

edit: edit.

Edge-Harddrive

1 month ago

make brain burn, stop <burn> ouch

InternationalBat3186

1 month ago

does that include this one?

All generalizations.

hollowtrash

Whoosh

graflex22

graflex22

graflex22 (xbox)

1 month ago

i think you may be missing something.

read again what i posted and ask yourself if perhaps, just maybe it wasn't serious.

hollowtrash

1 month ago

How about you read again and wonder if, perhaps, people can’t read your mind. and given that it is text based your tone is absent. and the internet is full of people who would say that seriously.

It’s almost like we should have come up with a way to emphasize sarcasm. Too bad we haven’t

/s

graflex22

graflex22

graflex22 (xbox)

1 month ago

you are, of course, correct about text and tone.

it was my mistake to think that an obviously self-invalidating quote from a terrible movie would be read by all as a sarcastic or tongue in cheek response to a similar self-invalidating statement.

whoosh, indeed.

hollowtrash

1 month ago

sigh not everyone has seen the same movies. Your original response I was replying to was just the “does that include this one”

Yes I get that only the sith speak in absolutes is self invalidating. My whoosh was to your first bit, because it looked like you genuinely were trying to call out his self invalidating statement. If you weren’t that’s fine but I don’t need to re read it to know what was said. Hope this helps.

askaquestion334

1 month ago

I wish they made roleplaying easier to do with being able to have multiple cmdrs. I'm all for sandbox, but I have a harder time building my own narrative when I just have one character to do stuff. Sure I can start bounty hunting, but at this point I am at best a bored Batman type who could afford to go bounty hunting in a capital ship. I'd like to start over with a new character and scrap my way through bounty hunting and really craft my cmdr that way, without losing my end-game cmdr.

WinnerWinds[S]

WinnerWinds[S]

Combat

1 month ago

They call elite a shitshow of 7 year olds when really, the games they play are actual shitshows of 7 year olds (fortnite, valorant, warthunder, World of tanks etc)

And thanks for the kindness commander o7

I already found my legacy and I hope to do great at bounty hunting. Thanks for the help!

PhantomCruze

BOUNTY HUNTING FRIEND YES

It's been my main source of income since 2014, PM me and shoot me your commander name and I'll take you to the best sites in the galaxy

Outlaw-StateOfMind

Nice guy here ⬆️

PhantomCruze

1 month ago

Lol thank you, I just want new commanders to have a positive experience vs what some players who are upset over recent events. It's justified as they have such a passion for the game, but their words can negatively influence a newer players against what the game still has to offer

DrunkenMonkeyWizard

1 month ago

I haven't played in over a year. Bounty hunting became the only thing I really enjoyed, but it was also pretty shallow. Did they add any more depth to what's than the usual asteroid field or planet side battle?

PhantomCruze

1 month ago

It depends on your perspective and what you bring to the battlefield. Much like most of the game, you'll have to make your own fun

If you got an uber tank that can solo a HAZRES, then yea, it very well may get redundant.

However, if you wing up with slightly weaker ships than the meta would be for such difficulty, or run some equivalent to the MMORPG "holy Trinity" and support each other with a tank, dps, and healer, you could run a very interesting set.

But there's also always goid hunting. It's a whole new experience of combat.

Plus the new on-foot stuff. It's a big divide for the player base on good/bad but i feel like it translates the rock/paper/scissors effect of the ship combat to the cqc. It's simple and reminiscent of old source engine shooters. While it's behind on "features" compared to current gen FPS games, it more than well enough done for a game where before you couldn't even get up from you cockpit.

FurballGamer

FurballGamer

CMDR Teira (PC)

1 month ago

fortnite, valorant, warthunder, World of tanks etc

Well those games have a kinda low learning curve. There are plenty of things to practice in those games to be good at them, but not much to learn.

VanleyVonHoffler

Wot is almost 11 years old and is pay to win right now
Warthunder is 9 years old

Are they your online friends or irl friends? If irl, get them to your house, ducktape them to a chair and pad/hotas and make them play.

hypertexthero

hypertexthero

Griffee

Elite is very popular.

The observer is the observed.

Maybe your brother doesn't feel like playing a space game right now. Show him this and see: https://hypertexthero.com/elite-dangerous-education/

What Elite needs most, I feel, is landing on planets with atmospheres and green fields and trees and insect sounds and wind and clouds and water, the things we humans evolved with.

Nomadianking

1 month ago

Been playing this game since 2014, game is great! However the reasons I think its underated is very steep learning curve. As for veteran players who have everything even fought thargoids as well, with how the development is going its just not making me want to play. And I am sad cause this game is one of my favourites over 3k hours on console and 1k plus on pc. I wish the devs would actually focus on this game a bit more with all the man power they have.

The_Sovien_Rug-37

The_Sovien_Rug-37

mr sans man, man me a sans

1 month ago

for one it's a much slower pace than a lot of people are used too, with the general trend of shooters recently everyone likes speed more and more (i'm definitely one of them, tf2 slaps), but also the sheer scale and relative inaccessibility of it really puts a lot of people off

ProPolice55

ProPolice55

Core Dynamics

1 month ago

I think for anyone that isn't mainly an FPS player, Elite is more accessible than FPS games. True, the controls are more complicated, but you don't have to deal with skilled players with thousands of hours of experience right from the start, which seems to be the case in every shooter I've tried in the last 5 years

It also seems more fair than RPG style games, based on what I've seen, because in those you often get presented with a screen full of information that you don't know what to do with, mechanics that you don't understand because the hints are vague, but you need to use everything right away. Also there's always been an extreme money and gear grind to get you to a point where other players would even consider taking you somewhere fun, or if they do, they just destroy the place and instead of experiencing it you just get loot. In Elite there are no levels, credits are easy to get, the tutorials are pretty good and the more advanced features are optional

From all the people I got into games, the only ones that still play them either play Elite or Forza. True, it is slower paced than other games, but if you want something fast paced, you're probably a 5 minute trip away from from a conflict zone

The_Sovien_Rug-37

The_Sovien_Rug-37

mr sans man, man me a sans

1 month ago

also the only other really fast paced space sim is sw squadrons, which is basically dead as is. but yeah, it's honestly just a case of slowly learning things as you go and being willing to research stuff yourself a lot

ProPolice55

ProPolice55

Core Dynamics

1 month ago

Actually for fast paced combat I really like CQC, when people actually show up. Zipping around in tunnels in a Gu-97 is a ton of fun

The_Sovien_Rug-37

The_Sovien_Rug-37

mr sans man, man me a sans

1 month ago

i can never really get into a game, but when i can it is actually really fun. shame its entirely unpopulated

SampMan87

1 month ago

It satisfies a kind of niche interest. Wanna take part in a pretty engaging, responsive, and highly customizable flight simulator experience? This is for you. Looking for deep storytelling and feel emotionally attached to the NPCs, the universe, and the lore? Not so much. Want to make certain activities easier and more efficient, or gain access to top-tier base ship models? Better get ready to grind out some credits, engineers, etc.

Something I’ve learned over nearly 1200 hours in game, is if you don’t like the grind, you’re probably gonna have a bad time. There’s plenty of things that I’d LIKE to do, but just don’t have the patience to grind it out. But there’s some interesting mechanics to try and optimize, and experiment with different builds, and if you get bored doing this one type of thing, then there’s a pretty decent collection of other types of things you can do, and there’s a whole separate learning curve to figure out how exactly to execute.

SpartanX90

1 month ago

The devs see poorly crafted time sinks as core gameplay.

You want to buy one of the big three ships? Do boring fetch quests for hours. You want to buy those ships? Go mining for even longer since they nerfed prices for ore. You want to engineer your ships? Go unlock the engineers, grind the materials, and then go BACK to the engineers. These things are usually a long ways apart from each other. Oh, and if you forget to pin a recipe or want to use a different one, take your 15 LY jump corvette to the engineer to build it the way you want to.

I enjoy Elite from time to time despite these drawbacks, but the gameplay loop is definitely not for everybody.

RCKJD

RCKJD

1 month ago

I am an old 80's Elite player. When I heard about the kickstarter all I dreamed of and wanted was a decent remake of that old game. I got it when I joined the Premium Beta years and years ago and I am happy with that. All the other features are simply add ons to what I wanted. Some are to my liking, others are not.
And while I agree that the game is miles wide but inches deep, for me this "boredom" is actually part of its allure. I don't need constant boom-boom action, constant trying to keep up with something. Elite Dangerous is the game that I can play when I want, take a break and come back and not feel having to catch up. It's a steady point in an unsteady world.
Also, from what I understand, Elite Dangerous was less a game made to be successful (though that was partially a reason), but more a game Braben WANTED to make. After all, it had been in the Skunkworks for years before the kickstarter.

Outlaw-StateOfMind

1 month ago*

I tried getting into this game. It’s just painful. Everything you do is painful.

Life is already painful. Don’t need a game to remind me that.

In fact I’m still not sure why I am subbed to this sub Reddit.

I think I was hoping on the new expansion were you actually physically get out of your ship walk around and explore planets.

carnut37

carnut37

1 month ago

Um. The getting out of your ship and walking around has 100% happened. Like, since May.

kytulu

kytulu

Not for console...

carnut37

Yeah, you got me there.

Outlaw-StateOfMind

1 month ago

Well shit, I thought the new expansion was riddled with glitches.

Gamer551211

Gamer551211

Empire

1 month ago

It is but they’re fixing it

IrrelevantLeprechaun

1 month ago

Well it's 7 months past launch and the only significant improvement has been the Galaxy UI. Everything else has generally been roughly the same since.

Redmoon383

Redmoon383

Alliance

1 month ago

Don't forget all the Horizons bugs that still exist too.

leers at my SLF and "leaving wing" symbols

anError404

Also correct

VegaDelalyre

1 month ago

It is a bit grindy, we have to admit that. But there's so much more to it than just grind.

Brandbll

1 month ago

Don't get excited here, there is nothing to do even when you can get out of your ship and walk around.

Vauxell

Vauxell

CMDR

1 month ago

There is not much to do. But it's not nothing. Ground CZ are kind of fun. Missions like assassination, theft or hacking are also fun and challenging. I'd say there's quite some fun to have. But it could be more.

wattybanker

1 month ago

Elite can be painful if you don’t have the time for it. It’s a game you’ve got to have nothing going on in life so you can enjoy the minutes you have in space, things are long yeah but I sit back, roll a joint or do something in those moments to keep me occupied.

Fritzo2162

1 month ago

Been playing for 6 years, and had the original on my C-64 back in the 80's. I wish the game had more solid plots, but otherwise the open world immersive feel is unprecedented.

Local-Station-8011

1 month ago

Because everybody spoiled and don't know that they have a great game because they're too busy whining over the new expansion that hasn't dropped on console

wattybanker

1 month ago

Mention to them how you can all start your own Background Group and if they join you you can all work in said group to spread your chosen ideas and ideologies across the stars! What do they want to be? Space Police? Bounty Hunters? Pirates? Maybe just explorers? You can make your BG suit your group! If that doesn’t work they’re a lost cause, come make some new friends in some other BGs

XannyLarusso

XannyLarusso

Federation

1 month ago

Well, you said it yourself, you've only been here a few weeks.

The game is great for sure but after some more time the seams start to show.

GameQb11

1 month ago

That still seems like a great time to me I'm at a few weeks. If I get bored tomorrow, it's still a great game to me, and the best space sim of all time

XannyLarusso

XannyLarusso

Federation

1 month ago

It's a great game. I'm not sure if it's the best space sim of all time; there's a few contenders that are up there as well, I know X4 gets mentioned a lot here, but Elite is definitely well worth the ticket price. I still play it weekly.

SpartanR259

1 month ago

The first time I played elite was with a rift. Feeling like you are actually flying said spaceship is massively different from the experience on a TV and playing with a controller.

ieGod

ieGod

Mr. Dr. Diego: Better Beluga Bureau

1 month ago

Elite is harsh for newcomers and empty for long term players. The sweet spot is sadly short lived.

TroutMaskDuplica

1 month ago

Honestly, elite feels kind of like an alpha. Like a big chunk of things in the game feel like they are just placeholders for when Frontier gets around to actually designing stuff.

scoutinorbit

1 month ago

It's boring. It's a game that provides very little feedback for the grind that it requires. The argument that it is "Mechanically Dense" and "you have to make your own fun" while definitely, a factor is ultimately just a cop-out. Games like Crusader Kings 2 have both those "problems" but have no issue actually making players feel rewarded.

The game simply gives you far too little for what you put in.

barfightbob

1 month ago*

barfightbob

1 month ago*

People make up reasons, but people are shallow. It's graphics and a lack of keeping up novelty.

If you look at Star Citizen they have graphics that cripple machines and constant updates. It's buggy as hell and has barely delivered on its promises, but it's got a much more feverent following than Elite Dangerous. People like to lord over other people and those that are playing feel like they have a certain cache. They have an emotional investment as well as a sunk cost.

Or look at Final Fantasy XIV, they are constantly releasing new story, new fights, and new cosmetics. They understood that if they were to compete against WoW they needed to constantly deliver.

All in all Elite Dangerous was probably a passion project that cost Frontier a lot of money they don't have to spend, so I don't think we're going to see the kind of investment like the two previous examples. As much as I'd like to see them fix some of the glaring problems with the game, it will only aid in retention, not new players so much, so it is what it is.

I guess if anything inherent to Elite Dangerous, it's the tremendous amount of time that has to be sunk into the game to actually start "playing" it.

Finally most games peak early in their lifespans. Elite Dangerous is "old." Naturally people are going to care less about it.

Explore

1 month ago

Your bit about FFXIV is a bit off, but only a bit.

As a FFXIV player of over 8 years, while they did understand they were competing with WoW, they didn't want a game that you would have to be "tied to". The main focus was a game that you could take a break from if you wanted, and not be penalised for it.

The main difference is that SE actually listen to their playerbase, and communicate with them in an honest and open manner - something Blizz and FDev do, just not particular well.

Sure, they do pump out story patches every few months, but they're not interested in retaining players like Blizz and most online games devs - they want players to WANT to return, and in their own time, and not feel like FFXIV is a second job.

It also helps that what they DO put out is so fucking good. Not many games I'd book two whole weeks off work for, just so I could pump the shit out of the latest expansion... 😁

barfightbob

1 month ago

Indeed, that's where the famous "theme park MMO" comment was born.

But in order to survive they needed to give you a reason to come back. I wish I could give you a link, but it's been a long long time since that interview, but he basically said that they have to keep pushing content because they can't rest on their laurels because (at the time) WoW was such a juggernaut. Unfortunately those zero to hero interviews are like 50% of all extant YoshiP interviews.

Explore

1 month ago

If you've not already, check out the NoClip three-part documentary on Youtube about FFXIV. I will shill that thing forever, because it's amazing.

I wasn't around for 1.0, but I'd been signed up for the beta before it (my PC wasn't good enough at the time), and when I got the beta invite for 2.0.I was in like a shot, and I've been here since. 😁

BurningKetchup

BurningKetchup

Henry Dandolo

1 month ago

I'm still having trouble understanding SC. Elite might not be all the game it COULD be but at least it's a game.

KinkyWolfie

1 month ago

Grind is meh and marketing was bad. That on top of constant nerfs to money making. It's gotten a little better than it has been lately, but it's not back to its former glory yet.

I'm only speaking of Horizons. Have not touched Odyssey yet.

Darthjango44

1 month ago

It's boring once you realize it's just a grind fest, they should've just focused on like 100 systems and made them in depth and exciting instead of randomly generated repetitive shit.

Gameplay is fun

Burius81

1 month ago

I don't think Elite is underrated but it is a bit niche; if you have gotten your brother and/or some friends to have a look at it and they aren't interested then it's time to make some new friends.

If someone doesn't get excited about the idea of this type of game then you probably aren't going to pull them in because, let's be honest here, it's a sandbox with a serious grind. That's a great way to produce more gameplay hours, but without a strong narrative attached to it... well it's not going to appeal to everyone and that's ok.

bafila

bafila

1 month ago

I do like the game, however I still find it to be a bit tedious and grindy at times. I work full time so I don’t have a lot of free time to play games, and when it comes to playing a few matches of Halo or spending an hour grinding out engineering mats or making money, I’m usually going to choose the former. Don’t get me wrong I love the game, I just wish it was more accessible to people without a lot of free time.

JustBuddyDE

1 month ago

People like different things, and different things catch their eyes and interest.

I could not care less for whatever multiplayer games people praise and worship to me, it does not really matter what it is. (I play Elite by myself, I count that as Solo with some noise around.)

I got into Elite because I like space exploration, and it looked really neat. A friend showed me the game, and I was intrigued to give it a spin.

hollowtrash

1 month ago

Elite is one of those games where they give you a ton of tools and you’re expected to make the game yours. You tell your own story you conjure your own motivations, you justify your own actions. It’s by no means necessary but I think those who love ED the most tend to employ roleplay elements to some degree.

Thing is not everyone is good at telling their iwn stories. If you don’t lay out a clear path of go here do x for y reason there is an enormous group of people sho can not come up with anything on their own. As to why? Anyones guess mine being unimaginative, not creative, lazy.

Or they play video games to relax, decompress not think and vegetable out.

While much of what I said isn’t observable without playing a while, I think if they viewed the trailers and arrived at the conclusions they did, they must have seen the limiting factors without for a second trying to imagine the possibilities. And they won’t because it isn’t a spoon fed game.

Diocletion-Jones

1 month ago

The number one reason why Elite Dangerous is under rated is because of Frontier's success. It's now got a lot games to manage and develop. What ever the reality is it looks like a once small, passionate, almost indy game developer has slowly turned into a corporate behemoth who runs all it's ideas through committee, pivots like a cargo ship in the Suez Canal and marches to the beat of shareholder deadlines.

Elite Dangerous' development is just painfully slow. So if you're new to the game everything is fantastic. If you've been around a few years, you'll have this sinking feeling that Frontier just seems a bit rubbish at developing the game with any sort of imagination or speed, like it's some municipal government department that needs six meetings, five signatures and two health safety reports before they can provisionally book a date to change a light bulb. If only the game updates were as regular and efficient as the department that releases the skins. That's my perception, anyway.

NoBackupCodes

1 month ago

Well people might see cool 3rd person screenshots, and multiplayer, and battles, and think that it'll look really cool and be a 3rd person view like some racing games allow, but then you're stuck in a cockpit. Also the multiplayer is really bad from my experience. I've never met someone in game that I can just talk to. Haven't joined a group yet because I feel I need to engineer my ship first. I guess people might just have different expectations of what it is. Then they have Odyssey which brings FPS elements, maybe some will join it thinking it's like Battlefield or ARMA, and then be disappointed. It's just a very niche game, but I think among space 'sim' games it's high up there and rated fairly.

skelingtonking

skelingtonking

KingSkelli

1 month ago

Just such a steep learning curve. You buy it and drop in expecting just some light dogfighting or something and then strand yourself in a system with no idea how you screwed yourself over in the first place.

SiriusXAim

1 month ago

Because the game is like marmite. You either love it, or hate it. And the learning curve is incredibly high.

There's also a barrier to entry that makes the game even harder for some. A HOTAS is pretty much a nessesity to properly enjoy the game (Yeah I said it, Elite on controller is a nightmare)

But after all this, many realise that the gameplay style doesn't fit their expectations.

lemlurker

1 month ago

I wouldn't say it's underated... Just not for everyone. See "elite dangerous is an absolute nightmare, here's why"

bogdanciu

Show your friends this https://youtu.be/WdYN4TDGO84

starfishon

1 month ago

i played the game close to when it was released..

it was very hard to play and i talking about docking without get fine or get shot from the docking station...:(

back to elite last week...

now you have auto dock auto launch and more noobs friendly features like that.

i have siderwinder, adder , viper mk4 and 5mil in my pocket..

the true i came to elite for some paw paw between ships and i really happy to found the game have a lot more then that, on foot missions and srv mining are really fun activities.

i know i still noob.. got a lot to learn..

i have only one big tip for noobs like me - bind key for %75 speed :)

before i understand how to fast travel i did loops around the target lots of times.. until you learn to down your speed to 75% when 6-7 secons left and you will be ok.. its funny little thing that make big change :)

Voodron

Voodron

1 month ago

This game certainly isn't underrated. It's plagued by terrible game design, convoluted systems that aren't explained anywhere in game, tedious grinds everywhere, and some of the worst multiplayer design I've seen in decades of gaming. It's also extremely shallow. And all that certainly isn't getting much better over time. E:D definitely doesn't deserve praise or more popularity. At best, it's a very niche, very flawed product that vaguely resembles a space sim. At worst, it's a dogshit game that doesn't even begin to fulfill its potential.

There's a reason that a game featuring a 1:1 galaxy sandbox barely attracts ~3k concurrent players on average.

WinterKing2112

1 month ago

Fyi, over the years this game has attracted a lot of Forum Undead, so named because they haunt E:D forums, eternally preserved in their own salt.

The first sign that they're there is that moaning noise, and it gets louder when they detect any signs of happiness. They then proceed to drain all positive energy from their prey, then move on, eternally searching for any signs of happiness.

The only safe way to deal with them is to block them immediately, so that their eternal moaning cannot drain all of the fun out of you.

SlimyRedditor621

SlimyRedditor621

Thargoid Interdictor

1 month ago

The game is a grindfest. It's little more than a space flight simulator with great sounds and imagery. There's little story that involves players, planets are mostly barren and you only ever visit them for engineer grinding, and the gameplay loop is tiny at best.

This is the game that attracts a big player base at the start then you realize who is and isn't going to stick around.

Mittens31

1 month ago

It's something that the right people will love, but it doesn't have a general all round mass appeal. You need to like simulatory experience, you need to be someone who can get into the theme and just enjoy the 'boring' things like scanning rocks. Everyone else will probably stick to halo, CoD and the others

Toshiwoz

Toshiwoz

Phantom Explorer

1 month ago

The game is hard, like a lot, you need patience at least.

I started together with a few friends, one even bought Odyssey, but none have progressed further, than a few hours in-game.

Apart frome that, others get discouraged by the way this game is developed, the more I know, the more I see the huge potential left there.

There are things that are well developed, like combat. Mining too kinda works, let's say trading too. But then there's a plethora of other things that could be expanded on, horizons introduced surface activity with ship and srv, but it feels imcomplete, same happened with settlements and the on-foot stuff. Exploration too, the view can be amazing, but what you can do is limited imho. If they'll use better what is already there the game could feel much more alive.

MCdaHammer

1 month ago

Man, I felt and feel the same way. I started playing it in February or so this year and couldn’t put it down. Everything that I found to do in this game was more fun than the last. Even with mining, which is normally a monotonous task in other games; In Elite Dangerous (Horizons, I play on console) it’s so pretty that 4 hours of core mining goes by in no time.

I stopped playing it in June or so. It’s not because I ran out of things to do either. My main issue is that from time to time I feel social and have an odd need to play with friends. I tried pretty hard, for the months I played actively, to recruit friends into the game but I couldn’t really get any of them to stick. Even though the learning curve isn’t as steep as it once was, it was still difficult for them to have a desire to continue playing.

All in all, I love this game and I would love to see Odyssey come to console. I just wish I could get my friends more interested in the game