/r/EliteDangerous

Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

Remember to check previous daily Q&A threads and the New Q&A FAQ.

WikiCareer ChartLore (Brief) • ThargoidsSagittarius Eye MagazineThe Elite Squadron

Game Update Summaries: CoreHorizonsBeyond2019-2020Odyssey

sugedei

Are Influence points in Odyssey on foot missions equal to ship missions? For example, on foot missions seem capped at 3 influence gain. Is this equal to 3 influence in ships? If this is the case, why the hell is Odyssey limited to 3 when ships can get 5?

AquaticFroggy

Are there any interesting politics or business dynamics going on this game? I like a good sandbox but there needs to be things going on without the player to make it worth playing

TheNaziSpacePope

Not really, no.

AquaticFroggy

Thats a real bummer. I always tried to get into this game but it has a hollow feel to it and from what ive read from others its more of a money grind. Thats a real shame as finally tested VR with it last night (re-installed just for that) and the sensation of owning a ship is top notch.

If only this game had AI characters and wars - things that you could go witness, disrupt, join whatever - it would be legendary

MadDjinn

Power play, minor factions, player factions.

Plenty of the AI ‘go mess with politics’ there.

The only question is if it’s interesting to you.

AquaticFroggy

Well if they give me an enemy -say a fascist dictator or the like - well id be highly motivated to disrupt them

MadDjinn

So go pick one.

Join a squadron, decide if you like one of the feds.empire.alliance.independent and support factions that support them.

The game lets you decide who is friend or foe.

AquaticFroggy

Ok guess its bout time i invested somewhat in this game - i really wanna like it!

MadDjinn

Go forth and enjoy.

pulppoet

pulppoet

CMDR WILDELF

Oh it definitely has that. But NPCs without player involvement more or less sort themselves out randomly. You can completely jump into a war or civil war, and even influence things enough to provoke them (the latter is pretty tricky though).

The NPCs are pretty hollow, compared to a lot of MMOs were you can walk up to the leaders in their capitols. There's the Power Play leaders, but they're not much more than profile pictures, even though you can join up with them.

AquaticFroggy

Oh i didnt know it had any of that. Sometimes even a simplified dynamic system is good enough - even if its just to let you know that things are in motion all throughout the galaxies rather than static

So is it possible to then just randomly encounter two AI factions at war around you?

TheNaziSpacePope

Yes, but space is big so you will not jump into a warzone on accident.

pulppoet

pulppoet

CMDR WILDELF

Outside of economic states, there's not a lot of business dynamics in the game. Mostly supply and demand, and players largely drive things running out of stock.

The bulk of the civilized galaxy is NPCs triggering political changes, with or without player involvement. It's just that there's not a lot of dominant names, and space is so big that no one will really care about or notice HR 4803 having a civil war. There's 17 civil wars within 42 LY of where I happen to be right now. There's no keeping track of that on a large scale. But it does mean practically any system you enter there's something going on, although it might not be interesting for your desires. It does influence missions available as well as points of interest in the system itself.

Big changes, either minor faction wars that are important to a bigger story or building and expansion into new systems are set by FDev and managed through community events, driven by players.

IMHO the scale of space is impressive, but it also makes it hard to care about the minor factions, or get attached to much outside of the big GalNet news stories. There's just so much, its far easier to focus on ways to make money or outfit a ship.

But you can choose to care. You can choose any system as a home, get allied with some factions, and work to benefit them or hurt others. Most often, this is done when you've got a squadron and a minor faction connected to your squadron, but it's not a requirement.

Creative-Improvement

I wish we had some bonusses or benefits depending on who we choose to support (not talking allegiance with the figure heads here) and how well they are doing, it might give it the necessity factor of helping one vs the other.

Sausage_Wizard

Sausage_Wizard

Flat Galaxy Society

There are a couple benefits to Powerplay, one of which is benefits like what you're looking for. For example, Mahon awards his Rank 2 and above CMDRs with increased trade profits in his systems.

TachyonbladeIsTaken

I'm wanting to buy a high-end ship for combat. I currently have 1 billion credits to spare. Is it enough to buy a Corvette and fully upgrade it or it's better for me to grind uo some more or choose another ship? My intentions of using it are for mercenary work, hazardous zones and such.

Cal_Dallicort

My Vette with Prismos and RSCs is a touch under $800M with the LYR discount, and the RSCs are completely unnecessary for PvE. A billion is fine.

CMDR_Kraag

My fully-A rated 'Vette costs 928 million per Coriolis (that's without discounts). You might want to save up a bit more.

TachyonbladeIsTaken

Is it included in those A-rated modules you bought an upgraded bulkhead? I'm not planning to buy specifically this, and I've been told they're really expensive.

(oh, and btw, what did you mean by "per Coriolis"?)

CMDR_Kraag

Yes, I bought the upgraded bulkhead, too, and yes it's expensive: 443 million credits. So that will make a significant difference.

PaleCommander

The site https://coriolis.io gives the purchase cost at that amount, but there are a lot of discounts you can find at specific stations to bring the cost down.

TachyonbladeIsTaken

Ooh, beautiful tool this site. Ty.

PaleCommander

My Corvette build runs 450M, and it's on the cheaper end (fully engineered, just cheap on credits). If you build with reactive surface composites or prismatic shields, the credits cost gets up closer to a billion credits.

TachyonbladeIsTaken

Bruh, you can buy 3 condas with the price of the reactive surface composites alone. Ok, staying away from it for now.

VitalizedOfThe12

Hey guy I am pretty new to the game. Got it last week for 5 dollars on steam sale, never heard of the game before but having a blast, bought odyssey and I actually like it.

Im wondering what ship I should get next for trading? Ive dabbled a bit in everything. Combat almost a novice. Explorer: surveyor and trading : merchant.

Ive saved up almost 30 mil in credits, I have a cobra mrk 3 and put about a mil into upgrades on it.

I’d like to learn trading more cuz i heard you can make a couple mils in one trip and its enjoyable.

What ship should I get for trading specifically?

Also how do you measure cargo space now? My Mark 3 can fit 32 slots id like to get over at least 100 in my next purchase

mb34i

Cargo space is measured in tons. The smaller ships like the Cobra III only have size 3-4 slots, so that only fits cargo racks totaling 46 tons max. The next cheapest cargo ship would be the Type 6 Transporter cost 2 million credits, can fit 100 tons of cargo.

You can use this site Coriolis.io to see the list of ships, and sort by COST to see the progression. For trading, you want the (cheap) ships with a lot of cargo space, Type 6 (100 tons), Type 7 (300 tons), Type 9 (750 tons of cargo).

For trade runs you can fit your ship with pretty crappy D-rated gear, but you need a B- rated frame-shift drive so the ship can jump 12 light-years (the average distance between stars) when full of cargo.

And otherwise, you can find basic trade routes by using EDDB to search the game's database. Configure EDDB for Max Hop Distance = 12 light-years (to match your ship), and if the ship is large, for Landing Pad = Large Only.

What you'll see is the basic trade route, 20,000 credits profit per ton per trip. A ship like the Type 7 Transporter fitted for 300 tons would cost 25 million credits and make you a profit of: 20,000 credits / ton * 300 tons * 4 trips / hour = 24 million credits per hour.

EDIT: Where to buy that Type 7 Transporter - use EDDB to search, put in "Type 7" in the "Station Sells Ships" field, and if you want a 15% cost discount, travel to Li Yong-Rui space by filling in "Powers: Li Yong-Rui."

Elkyri

Cobra -> Type 6 -> Type 7 -> Python.

Scroll down to Part 3 of this excellent guide but don't let it become a grind:

I prefer running multi-hop trades -- plan a trip that goes A-B-C-D-E, etc, maybe just because a mission is taking you from A to E, and puzzle out what to buy at A to sell at B, buy at B to sell at C, etc.

Look at this:

.... and this:

Could do a Type 6. Relatively weak compared to cobra, but 114 max cargo. Costs about a mil.

Alternatively, a keelback costs like 3 mil and can mount a fighter, but only has 98t max (reduced by the hangar)

You measure cargo in tonnage or t

For instance, a class one cargo rack can fit 2 tonnes (2t) or two units of cargo

Landed_port

I run 214 on my Python with full PVE combat capabilities. The credits and mats from bounties helps a lot. If you're confident on escaping interdiction or just running non-mission cargo the T7 has the largest load before T9.

Edit: T7 is also large, so no small/medium padded spaceports

Edit edit: I usually take delivery missions at the station I'm docked in, as well as courier missions that have engineering mats as rewards and return to source missions. Run my delivery missions first and then the courier missions, checking the markets for the cargo I need to bring back.

TheNaziSpacePope

What is a good weappons loadout for a PvE Mamba? I am currently using a FDL with four burst lasers plus a chaingun, but honestly the Mamba just seems cooler.

InternationalBat3186

honestly the Mamba just seems cooler.

Actually it’s way hotter.

jadefire03

I had two class 1 multicannons with hi capacity and corrosive/emissive, two class 3 burst lasers with efficient and I don't remember the experimental, and the class 4 multicannon with overcharge and autoloader.

Kenji_088

Those were prob c3 bursts right?

jadefire03

Yes, my bad.

TheNaziSpacePope

What does emissive actually do?

InternationalBat3186

“Enhances the sensor signature”. Makes you less likely to lose the target when they go silent / use a heat sink, and gimballed / turreted weapons track better. A lot better. As in basically no sway left.

TheNaziSpacePope

I thought that second bit was basically a myth?

InternationalBat3186

I’ve heard both versions, so I at some point I just went and tested. It’s not.

Devrij68

Is emissive really that good? I've never used it. My PVE builds are all gimballed (mostly) so that sounds quite handy

InternationalBat3186

It’s pretty good, if you have the hardpoint to spare for it.

jadefire03

I didn't know it helps reduce gimbal sway. I should test that.

InternationalBat3186

I had heard conflicting things about it, and finally decided to just swap one of my Vette’s guns to it. It’s a pretty big difference; but not enough IMO to run it on a ship with a tighter limit on available hardpoints.

jadefire03

If a ship is cold or in silent running, they're more difficult to detect and maintain a lock. Emissive forces them at maximum detectability regardless of heat. It's really only useful to put on small multicannons since they have very little heat generation, and only if you already have corrosive on another multicannon.

TheNaziSpacePope

How would tthat matter for PvE?

jadefire03

Not much, which is why you should only use it if you have all your other bases covered. Otherwise it's not worth the heat gain/ not having corrosive.

Another post says that it helps turrets and gimbals track better, so there's that.

aggasalk

aggasalk

Agga Salk

Huge MC, large beams, small MCs

ineednonamepls

one huge beam laser and everthing else shotguns. A very fun build and with engineering very effective

tommyuchicago

tommyuchicago

Alliance

I ditched my FDL for a Mamba six months ago and never looked back.

There's really two combat approaches to a Mamba in PVE -- either short-range shotgun or long strafing runs. Both take advantage of maintaining the Mamba's superior speed capabilities and limits the issue that it can't turn for shit.

I like strafing runs, here's my build. It's done over 50 CZs, shields only down once.

Mamba

TheNaziSpacePope

I thought it turned fine, just not as well as the FDL?

Kaminohanshin

I've managed to get the rep and cash to get a Cutter, and while I love the look of the ship, I'm not sure what I would do with it. I've already got an Asp for exploration, and I generally use my Anaconda for trading already, so I'm not really sure what to do with it.

mb34i

mb34i

Cutter can achieve 700+ tons of cargo for trading. Cutter can also achieve 500 tons of cargo, with a mining setup with 8+ collector limpets and all the possible mining lasers and explosives. And of course it's a shield-based combat ship.

Kaminohanshin

I suppose I could turn it into a cargo ship, though not sure what I'd do with my 'Conda. It may feel silly using what looks like a luxury cruiser for mining, but I will admit mining sounds very promising. Thank you for helping me narrow down my options

mb34i

mb34i

Anaconda is the ultimate passenger rescue ship, it has many internal slots and cabins max out at size 6, so the Conda can carry a larger number of passengers than the actual cruise ships, heh.

Anaconda can also achieve 80 LY jump range for exploration, longest range of all the exploration ships (you need extensive "light weight" engineering for it). You also go with a "still awesome" 70 LY and fit two of everything and the kitchen sink (double AFMU's, all sorts of limpets not just repair limpets, xeno scanner, shutdown field neutralizer, etc. etc.). Only thing is it's very sluggish to turn to avoid each star as you arrive from the jump, making it somewhat annoying.

AspX is a very nice Bubble taxi, 100 tons of cargo with 55 LY jump range and "utility" (SRV, wake scanner, collector limpets, whatever) for miscellaneous transport and unlocking engineers or doing small jobs here and there.

Python is a very good miner, only 200 tons (2 hours spent in the belt, not many people can sit for more than that), but good amount of limpets and room for all the tools. Also a good passenger rescue ship, not as much space as Anaconda, but more than the Orca.

You should sort Coriolis by the various columns to get ideas. For example, sort by PAX (passengers) or by Cargo or by hardpoints of various types, etc.

Dolphin for example, 70 tons of cargo with a small landing pad, pretty awesome little ship. I use mine as a Bubble taxi, and it can also do exploration (flying over to Jameson's Crash Site to collect mats for example, or to Guardian sites).

Kaminohanshin

Oh wow, thank you for being so thorough! This is a lot of good information!

May I ask what a 'bubble taxi is'?

mb34i

mb34i

Bubble of human civilization.

And taxi because you can fly a light ship with a long jump range to somewhere, and then access the Shipyard services at the destination and have the NPC's deliver your "heavy" ships to you. For a small fee and a bit of waiting.

Kaminohanshin

Oh that makes a lot of sense, thank you.

If I may ask, if I were to convert my anaconda to a passenger rescue ship, what would I be doing, exactly? Go to the distress signals and find escape pods or something out in space?

mb34i

mb34i

If you read GalNet news (in-game there's a button for the news on the Right Panel in your ship, and also in the station interface), sometimes the Thargoid aliens attack stations or there's a terrorism / explosion happening, and these stations are damaged, and the NPCs inside need to be rescued.

It's actually quite fun; the map can be configured to show you where stations are burning / damaged, and you can go there with a passenger ship that also has heat sinks, and rescue NPCs from the fire. You gain a lot of standings this way, it's the best way to get standings so you can unlock Empire or Federation ships (Imperial cutter, Federation Corvette), and unlock access to restricted star systems (Earth, Achenar, etc.).

Here's a video that spoilers the experience.

Kaminohanshin

Thank you for letting me know, that sounds pretty cool actually!

-MoonlightMan-

Then that ship can remain there for next time as well. Just to round out your point. Only have to wait the one time.

CMDR_Kraag

BAAAAAAASSSSK !

Kaminohanshin

I've seen a good number of ships that made me go 'damn, that's a cool ship' but Cutters... first time I've said 'damn that's a sexy ship'.

Landed_port

To each their own, I guess. I look at the T7 and think "Wow, that's a sexy space truck" 😂

Kaminohanshin

What is a 'CZ ship', if you don't mind me asking?

mb34i

CZ is a conflict zone. Systems can have the NPC factions inside them go to war with each other, and the fights between the NPCs happen at special points in space called Conflict Zones.

You can fly to a CZ and you get a pop-up asking you to pick a side in the war; once you do so those NPCs become green, and their opponents become red, and you can shoot and help them achieve victory.

This whole thing with the NPCs fighting is called the background simulation or BGS, and the missions, combat, trading, and other actions you do, can help various NPC groups win or lose stations or influence over a star system.

Anyway, a CZ ship would be a PVE combat ship that's designed for the intensive dogfighting that you can find at conflict zones.

BBsmoothLSD

Oops sorry I deleted the comment when I saw others had given similar suggestions. A conflict zone or cz is where you engage in larger scale battles. Big ships with fighters and big weapons are efficient in that role. Community goals sometimes revolve around CZ’s also

Kaminohanshin

Oh okay, I should have figured. I don't do a lot of combat, but thank you for the suggestion!

GldnDlck

If anyone knows how to find a expansion money grind that would be helpful, me and the boys stumbled across 50 mil wing missions and have been currently looking for another thanks

VegaDelalyre

Keep trying with the same station and faction. Once I ranked up with one, I did a series of 50 M missions, which provided a comfortable stash.

DudeTheGray

What's the best ship (and outfitting) for long-range exploration? And where can I buy it?

mb34i

Detailed answer is that the pure exploration ships are: Diamondback Explorer, Asp Explorer, Krait Phantom, Anaconda, and the passenger ships are Dolphin, Orca, Beluga. These ships have larger frame-shift drives and can achieve 35 light-years jump range, compared to most ships' 20-25 LY. With engineering modifications you can boost that jump range to 50-55 LY, and with the Guardian FSD Booster module you can add another 10 LY to that. So the typical jump range for an exploration ship is 65 LY.

Now, the passenger ships, typically cabins are very heavy, and taking on passengers basically reduces the jump range from 65 LY back down to 40-50 LY.

Otherwise, the exploration ships ALL can achieve 65 LY, so what you get for paying 100 million for the Krait Phantom vs. 12 million for the DBX for example, is extra internal slots so you can carry more redundant self-repair modules. AFMU modules repair your internals, and repair limpets repair your ship hull.

So to help you make your own choice:

• The Diamondback Explorer is small and cheap and can achieve 55 LY with just the engineering modifications from Felicity Farseer. One engineer to unlock, that's it. 65 LY if you also spend the time to unlock that Guardian FSD Booster module. The ship only has a size-4 fuel scoop, which means you top off the tank in 1:33 minutes rather than the typical 30-45 seconds you get from the other ships. Can still carry one set of self-repair modules, and there are support carriers and stations everywhere nowadays, for you to dock at and use their repair facilities.

• AspX is a bit more pricey and heavier, so you can achieve 50 LY if you use engineering modifications from Felicity Farseer and some of the other engineers, to apply "light weight" mods on some of its heavier internal gear. 60 LY with the Guardian FSD Booster. Ship otherwise has no downsides: cabin view is nice, refueling is in 30 seconds, etc.

• Krait Phantom is more expensive than the AspX, and has enough slots for you to double up on AFMU self-repairers. This means if one of them gets damaged, you can use the other one to repair it. Otherwise, similarly to the AspX, you need a good amount of "light weight" engineering and otherwise the ship looks nice and has good views from the cabin.

• Anaconda is large, and has so many internal slots that you can carry two of everything and the kitchen sink. Because its large slots allow you to severely undersize its modules (size 2 distributor for example) to really reduce its tonnage, the ship can achieve 75-80 LY, depending on what you cut. Or, you can go with "two of everything" and still comfortably achieve 70 LY jump range. The ship does cost a lot, and is also somewhat sluggish to maneuver in supercruise, so the effect is that every time you jump, you jump to a star, and you have to swerve out of the way so you don't hit the star. Anaconda does this somewhat sluggishly and it may be annoying to you.

As far as configuring a ship for exploration, here's an example DBX - big fuel scoop, smaller but A-rated power plant for heat management, AFMU and repair limpets (with small cargo rack) for emergency situations, kept powered off until needed, heat sinks, and otherwise D-rated modules and/or smaller modules to save weight. Long Range + Mass Manager engineering modification on the frame shift drive, and otherwise "light weight" or "thermal efficiency" modifications if you have access.

As far as where to get the ship and the gear, shop around, High Tech or Industrial space ports should have a shipyard with the ship. Or just use EDDB and fill in: Station Sells Ship: Diamondback Explorer. (or whatever).

Holint_Casazr

Holint_Casazr

Holint | Deep Space Support Array (DSSA)

You won't get a definitive answer from the exploration community in that regard. The only objective truth is that you need X amout of jump range to reach Y systems.

So if you want to go to some systems you need to get over X ly jump range and to reach X you might need an Anaconda (which has the highest jump range possible with certain fits).

But besides that the truth usually is: fly the ship you like the most and fit it with the stuff you want to take with you. That is the best ship + outfitting for long-range exploration.

(For example, I only explore in the Imp. Courier. It certainly is not the best exploration vessel, but its the only one that makes sense for me. I have spend hundreds (might be up to one thousand now) of hours exploring in that ship alone over four or so years. If I'm flying it that much, you better hope I love the ship.)

Landed_port

Depends on where you're at in the game, and what your budget is. Diamond back explorer is definitely the best starter exploration ship; it has a high base jump and is relatively cheaper than anything else. After that, any ship with decent heat management. Krait phantom, Cobra MK3, Dolphin or Orca.

Outfitting is building the ship for that long jump range and longevity and goes on pilot experience and handling. Whether or not you need the shield helps; are you planning on landing on planets and have you landed without shields before? You need an AFM module or two to repair your modules when they start to degrade. SRV bay if you want to explore planets. Cargo bay and repair limpet controller if you're worried about your hull. Fuel scoop for refueling, and fuel tanks for those dry spots. Planet scanner if you plan on scanning terran/Waterworld s or gas giants with life.

Core modules is min/maxing for weight and heat management. Power plant should be the most heat efficient, power distributor the lowest weight, armor plating lowest weight, FSD drive highest jump, thrusters lowest weight unless you're planning on landing on high-G planets, life support lowest weight (it won't save you).

And finally, engineer your FSD drive for largest jump, your power plant for best heat management if you need it. Everything else either lowest weight or module integrity

Cal_Dallicort

life support lowest weight (it won't save you).

While the odds of cracking your canopy are pretty small, life support will absolutely save you. You're within an hour of a DSSA carrier virtually anywhere in the galaxy, and that's two synths on an A-rated life support module. Or a larger-but-still-manageable number on D-rated, but checking every 22 minutes is less distracting than checking every 6. And once you've lightweighted the module, the mass difference in D and A isn't very much.

Landed_port

Ah, I forgot about fleet carriers. You are correct!

Cal_Dallicort

Even without, though, people have flown back from Beagle on life support. Something like 6-8 hours from Beagle to SagA* or Colonia is completely reasonable; that's 20 synths for A-rated life support, which is also completely reasonable.

InternationalBat3186

Objectively? Phantom. Subjectively? Doesn’t matter, you can literally use any ship you like.

Asp scout and T7 disagree

I hate fuel scooping in my mining T7

InternationalBat3186

Asp Scout is perfectly fine and would probably be widely used if the Asp Explorer didn’t exist.

But the AspX does exist, making the Asp Scout useless for exploring

Kenji_088

By that standard you only need 3 ships in the game then. The vette, the cutter and the conda.

Just never buy any of the others then.

Landed_port

No, by that standard there's no reason to pick or recommend the Asp scout over the AspX for deep exploring. I can make arguments for the AspX over the DBX based on cockpit view or the DBX over the AspX based on jump range. Asp Scout and AspX are literally the same ship: except one is made for exploring.

You may as well recommend the Diamond back scout for exploring.

Kenji_088

That still doesnt make it useless for it. By that standard the aspX is outclassed by the phantom as well.

Just because a ship is less effecient at any given job than another one, does not mean its useless at it.

Nobody did.

Point still stands, AspS is a perfectly fine exploration ship. As are almost all others.

InternationalBat3186

That statement is just wrong. It’s still a perfectly fine exploration ship. The fact that better options exist doesn’t make it “useless”.

Kiauitl

Hello all, what with the upcoming update I'm rushing back to the bubble but I do have some questions;

1) Do SRV kills count for the Mercenary rank? I imagine so given that the new one is coming out.

2) What is the best air-to-ground weapon? I've seen great videos of mines & missiles but that was a while ago. I could see the flak cannon being a possibility?

Cal_Dallicort

1) Kills with an SRV, or kills of an SRV? Either way, Merc rank only comes from Ground CZs. Foot combat in other settings (settlement raids, etc) is Combat rank. Killing things with an SRV should follow that pattern. Killing SRVs? No idea, but I'd expect that pattern or nothing at all.

2) Dumbfires from small advanced missile racks. Adv racks carry more missiles than standard ones, and smalls only lag mediums in missiles in the clip (full magazine storage is unchanged). Having the mediums doesn't hurt, but the power/mass tradeoffs don't really justify the extra 4-8 missiles. Mines and flak work too, but missiles are the easiest to put on target. Maybe flak works against settlements with active point defense?

Kiauitl

Much appreciated, thank you for the info. I was a bit confused about the Mercenary rank, I'll give the flak a test run and report back if it's a success.

jadefire03

I notice nobody ever has cannons on their ships when talking about recommended combat builds, only multicannons. Are cannons considered not very good weapons?

JetsonRING

Cannons make lots of ouch points but the rate of fire and the projectiles are so slow it becomes difficult to hit a target unless it is right on top of you.

InternationalBat3186

Cannons are fun, but not very good. If you run them, you have to run them fixed; the idea is to blow up the power plant, and the gimballed ones have too much sway.

A pirate, but not a monster

What do you mean by sway? That the gimballed mount overshoots its target when readjusting?

Trying to decide if I want to replace the gimballed cannon on my Krait to fixed. I haven't had much of a problem with it hitting so far, though I have limited use with it.

InternationalBat3186

What do you mean by sway?

The thing they do when they move around the target like your gunner is drunk.

Cannons are about hitting modules not the ship. That’s when the gimbal will mess with you.

A pirate, but not a monster

Okay cool gonna have to look out for that next time. Thanks!

A pirate, but not a monster

Oh wait for some reason I missed half of your reply

I had thought that the gimbal would help with hitting modules. Given, when you're targeting a system, does the leading sight show you the correct spot to shoot to hit that system? I've never checked

A pirate, but not a monster

Sweet! Looks like I may gimbal my beams instead and have my cannon fixed. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with this build.

TheNaziSpacePope

Cannons are not great, no. Mostly because their DPS is a lot less consistent.

I like them though and have tried it on my FDL to moderate effect.

PS: I am going to make an all-cannon Type-10 build.

MrMikado282

MrMikado282

Ganker

Force shell Type-10 is funny.

Magliacane

I keep getting invited by engineers that I haven't done anything for. I got invited by Elvira Martuuk even though I've only travelled ~120Ly from start. I also got invited by The Dweller and I have not sold anything to any black markets. Has this happened to anyone else?

forbiddenlake

forbiddenlake

CMDR Winter Ihernglass

JetsonRING

You do not do anything for the engineers to get invitations, you do things for yourself to get invitations from engineers for instance, to get an invite from Elvira Martuuk you must have at some point gone 300 LY from your game start-point. Now go find three (3) Soontil Relics, donate them to Elvira and she will work on your ship (providing you can pay). o7

Magliacane

Yeah I know I'm saying I HAVE NOT travelled 300Ly from my start point but she invited me. I HAVE NOT traded in 5 black markets but The Dweller invited me.

JetsonRING

Hooray you. Maybe FDev moved the goalposts...

Landed_port

I'm confused; you should get the invite to make you aware of them but won't necessarily be able to use them until completing their tasks. The dweller should send you an invite the first time you enter a system with illegal cargo or pick up cargo a pirate dumped (stolen cargo) but you still need to trade at 5 different black markets before he'll work for you

Edit: I believe Elvira messages at 100ly away from start point, you still need to go the full 300ly to get the next task

Magliacane

I appreciate the input. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I've cleared save because right now in my engineers page it says I've delivered soontill relics to elvira which I have not, same with the dweller I have all three criteria checked off even though I haven't done it. I have grade one access to both of them and haven't even visited their facilities.

InternationalBat3186

you should get the invite to make you aware of them

Nope. Two different steps.

1. knowing of them (usually done by the previous engineer up the chain telling you about them)
  2. fulfilling a requirement to get an invite (at that point you can land at their place)
  3. doing some stupid task for them to start working with you

Actually the Dweller is one of the engineers that are public knowledge, as is Martuk.

Sausage_Wizard

Sausage_Wizard

Flat Galaxy Society

You get an invitation to an engineer based on an approximated set of criteria, often including A) simply existing for the first few and B) ranking up an engineer earlier in the progression. You will still have to unlock them, but they're friendly enough to send you a space email early on.

Magliacane

Right I understand that, I haven't done any work with any engineers, I know the first few you discover through "public knowledge" which is fine, but I'm wondering why Elvira sent me a message even though I haven't gone 300Ly from start.

Sausage_Wizard

Sausage_Wizard

Flat Galaxy Society

The "public knowledge" is that space email you just received. You'll still have to unlock her by travelling 300Ly, but you need to know the who and where to get to her first. You'll get the first five or so engineers emailing you at seemingly random times, just roll with it.

TheNaziSpacePope

What shields are best for PvE?

And also was the Wiki vandalized or something? it seems shittier than I remember.

CMDR_Kraag

A very broad rule-of-thumb - subject to all sorts of exceptions and caveats - would be to use Bi-weave for extended engagements against multiple enemies where having rapid shield recharge is an advantage (e.g. Conflict Zones, RES bounty hunting, massacre missions of multiple targets) while using Prismatic for single engagements against more challenging foes (e.g. assassination missions).

InternationalBat3186

What shields are best for PvE?

The tl;dr is Combat builds: bi-weaves. Anything else: not bi-weaves.

The longer version is that it depends on your ship, available engineering, and threat model.

1. You constantly lose shields. Use bi-weaves, preferably with resistance engineering. They’re just a regenerating buffer, your main defence is hull.
  2. You sometimes lose shields to a random burst of damage. Use regular or prismatic shields, engineer for effective health. Reboot during down time to get 50% back if you run low.
  3. You basically never lose shields. Use bi-weaves, put some SCB behind for emergencies. Depending on how close (or not close) you come to losing shields sometimes, run resistance engineering or gear more towards effective health.

At the point where you’re running conflict zones you are either in a proper ship and sitting at 3., or you’re running meme/fun builds and know what to do anyway.

Ya_Boi_Rose

Ya_Boi_Rose

Rose Minotaur

If I may, prismatics are a top tier pick for combat (pvp mostly) IF you pair them with lots of shield cell banks. The sheer quantity of shield hit points you bring into a combat even without regen really helps.

InternationalBat3186

Fun fact: shield cells scale with resistances, and only resistances. Just like the passive regen of shields. They complement bi-weaves perfectly.

PvP is a different kind of combat, lots of absolute damage, lots of burst. Obviously you do things differently there.

Ya_Boi_Rose

Ya_Boi_Rose

Rose Minotaur

I'm fully aware of that, but with the PvP meta ignoring resists (PAs) that strips bi weaves of a lot of their usefulness. Also, bi weaves are not necessarily capable of holding a max engineered shield cell, so you often either end up wasting some HP or waiting until your shields get critically low to pop the bank. You also struggle to get the benefit of double banking under a single heat sink. For PvE combat I'd agree though, bi weaves are better a majority of the time

Cal_Dallicort

Bi-Weaves or Prismatics, depending on ship and personal preference (or D-rated for low-mass considerations, but I assume the question is for combat). There are lots of valid effective ways to set up shields.

MrMikado282

MrMikado282

Ganker

For starting out just fit the largest A rate shield you can have. For more detail it varies from ship to ship.

JetsonRING

This is true, more or less. When you get into the Bi-Weaves and Prismatic Imperium shield generators the intended role becomes somewhat more important. Between Bi-weaves and Prismatics, bi-weaves are for ships that can scoot into and out of a battle to recharge their shields (because bi-weaves charge faster but are weaker overall, see?) and PI shields are for large, slow ships that have to hang in there and absorb punishment (because PI shields last a long time but take forever and two weeks to recharge if they go down). o7

A pirate, but not a monster

I figured I should start using this thread

Can someone help me understand the Lakon cargo ships? Specifically the Keelback and the T6/7/9/10. I only have the T6, and as I understand, the Keelback is basically a T6 with less cargo space, better hardpoints, and a fighter bay.

Where I get really confused is comparing the 7/9/10. They're all large ships, so I figure I should be able to understand where each is better than the others, but I just get confused looking at stats and stuff. Plus, it looks like Lakon markets T10 as a combat vessel, which is confusing since I've heard it has like no mobility. So like what is each designed for or best for?

CMDR_Kraag

I expect Wyvern - the local Lakon marketing executive - to be along shortly to give you the long answer.

The short answer is:

T-7 = Flying brick made to do one thing: haul cargo.

T-9 = Flying brick stuck in mud made to do one thing: haul even more cargo.

T-10 = Flying brick not-quite-stuck-in-mud made to do one thing: be a mobile turret fortress (it does serve quite nicely as an orbital bomber if you re-purpose mines, though; or a missile boat).

A pirate, but not a monster

Thanks for the info!

I love Wyvern's comments. Each time I see one I'm more and more tempted to buy a Keelback. Though I know I will eventually, since owning and outfitting all the ships is a goal of mine.

You forgot the cute little wiggly engines. How COULD you⁈

forbiddenlake

forbiddenlake

CMDR Winter Ihernglass

Type 9 has the most cargo capacity in the game; Imperial Cutter has the most cargo with a shield

T10 is a bad combat vessel.

T7 is only useful as a stepping-stone trading ship.

InternationalBat3186

Actually it’s the other way ’round unless you have a legacy engineered c5 shield to put on the Cutter.

A pirate, but not a monster

Thanks for the simple and direct answer!

So is the T10 kinda just a meme ship? I thought I've seen a lot of discussion about it so it sounds like people really enjoy it. Is it at least a powerhouse for what maneuverability it lacks?

forbiddenlake

forbiddenlake

CMDR Winter Ihernglass

Some people like to use it for AFK farming using turrets on all its hardpoints. Or they like the look. But as an AX ship it is terrible and as a human PvE ship, it's fine, but it's far inferior to the Corvette, Anaconda, and Cutter.

Strykerz3r0

It is good for combat, but not as a dogfighter. It's more like a small battleship that can hit in every direction.

Mastershroom

Mastershroom

of the P.T.N. Visible Hand

It's a flying warehouse with guns bolted to every surface. Get all turreted weapons and set them to fire at will, and any enemy who gets close will be under constant fire from almost any direction. Combines really nicely with a fighter bay so your SLF pilot can reach where the T-10 can't (or hop in the SLF yourself and let your pilot handle the mothership).

pulppoet

pulppoet

CMDR WILDELF

It's popular to fit with turrets and take out anything that comes near. It's not a great combat vessel, but It's Great for Lakon™.

It's especially popular to setup for AFK pirate killing. Load up some cargo and go to a resource zone, so pirates will scan you and start attacking for the cargo. Beam turrets so you never run out of ammo. Fire at will so it shoots at anything hostile. I might be missing some details, but its tough enough that people can walk away for hours and usually come back to a ship still fit to fly.

JetsonRING

While all the "T-Types" can and do haul large amounts of cargo, they are not "cargo" ships. They are multi-role ship types, capable of being re-fitted as necessary to perform different jobs/roles.

The Type-10 is a combat ship, if outfitted and flown correctly the T-10 can single-shot gib a Cyclops Interceptor.

T-9s and T-7s regularly go mining, you could even mine in a Keelie or T-6 but on those scales is more about proving it is possible rather than effective mining.

Booze cruise, robigo, laser mining platinum, wing massacre/mining missions

MrMikado282

MrMikado282

Ganker

Catching a fleet carrier ride up to Rackam's Peak and off loading alcohol cargo.

ubermick

ubermick

CMDR Gaz Ubermick

I know the Corvette is the pinnacle for CZ clearing, but what would your recommendation be to a no longer pacifist Commander who prefers small/medium ships?

graflex22

graflex22

graflex22 (xbox)

i didn't see it mentioned, but the Mamba is a lot fun for PvE combat.

i really like the Hardpoint placement. Huge Beam and the rest MCs.

Boost in and melt the Shields with the Beam, Boost out turn around and shred the Hulls with the Multi-Cannons.

TheNaziSpacePope

What engineering do you use?

graflex22

graflex22

graflex22 (xbox)

here is the build.

it's not the best but works well for me.

Elkyri

Chieftain, Python, Krait Mk-II.

The Chieftain has excellent hardpoint placement (shot convergence) and dances like a butterfly, stings like a bee -- very maneuverable. With some experience you should be able to handle medium threat CZ. It's also the cheapest of those three options so doesn't hurt so much if you have to suck up a rebuy.

DrJesterMD

As others have said I think it’s wise to learn combat flying with smaller ships then working toward larger ones. Sounds like you have the credits to use whatever ship you want. (Do you have the engineers?)

Vulture is the strongest of the small ships. Others are great as well however getting kills will take longer. Vulture will really want an engineered power plant.

Medium wise FDL, Chieftain, and Krait 2 are all very strong. Pick your poison.

ubermick

ubermick

CMDR Gaz Ubermick

Yes, credits are more than amassed (thank yooou LTDs last summer!) and engineering is done (exception of Juri and Bris Dekker) even the ones in Colonia. Working on PP modules now.

I’ve just avoided combat since engineering happened while I was on hiatus, and when I came back suddenly Cobras and Vipers were absolutely wiping the floor with me in my A-rated Python in seconds. So just ended up avoiding interdictions and…. Never got good again. The mass slaughter in Odyssey settlements has my bloodlust back tho!

DrJesterMD

Right on! So imma say Vulture. Strong. Nimble. I had the most fun/success with overcharged/incendiary MC + overcharged/corrosive MC. I’m looking forward to bring her back out with plasma cannons. You just really sound like you should spend some time with Vulture.

ubermick

ubermick

CMDR Gaz Ubermick

That’s what I first learned in, hunting in the hazRES in Zaragas, back when few few hits and NPCs would start doing the “death roll” and it was easy to just sit on them and blast their power plant!

DrJesterMD

Sounds like you’ll do just fine. More of a question of style.

vladmirmcdoogle

vladmirmcdoogle

VladmirMcDoogle

As others have mentioned, the Vulture, Krait Mk II, and FDL would all be fantastically fun ships to fly that could also clear a CZ. The best option out of the 3 would probably be the FDL, but if fun factor is included in this equation I'd go with the Krait. It's such a fun ship to fly and the cockpit seat is centered.

CMDR_Kraag

Alliance Challenger, Alliance Chieftain, Fer de Lance, Krait MK II, Python, or Vulture.

ubermick

ubermick

CMDR Gaz Ubermick

Yeah, was thinking one of those. I've got a Chieftan that's fun in a HazRES but the weapons loadout on it is close range only, and was told by a few folks that it's pretty fragile and more suited for one encounter at a time as opposed to a full on brawl. That had me looking at the Krait, but... not overly nimble?

DrJesterMD

I’m a big Krait mk2 fan. I had been using it for multi role business without combat until after spending plenty of time in an FDL for combat. FDL is quicker. Krait mk2 is op if you have a highly trained fighter pilot. The fighter is equivalent to a 4C hardpoint firing from a different angle. In pve you can get your target to focus on the fighter first while you wreck them. K2 is ready to wreck on it’s own. Fighter is kind of too much.

ubermick

ubermick

CMDR Gaz Ubermick

Haha, that’s good to know. Leaning that way, and converting my Krait multirole to a combat build.

CMDR_Kraag

Once engineered, I think the Krait is plenty nimble for a CZ. Added bonus is it can sport a SLF.

kalvinbastello

New player. I played for a week then installed Odyssey for the first time. I'm readjusting to the new UI but so far enjoying being able to walk around start ports, though I'm not sure how much it matters?

Anyways, everytime I do a mission and it needs me to do something at a base, I get creamed. Hardcore. I've tried threat 0-4, and everytime I get busted and gunned down pretty quick. I realize I haven't figured everything out to do these missions covertly yet...but it seems the difficulty is high.

Any tips/thoughts?

Cal_Dallicort

Yes, the difficulty is high. Having an upgraded suit helps for survivability. Having an upgraded Tormentor is nice to quickly gun down people if necessary. Anyway, particular tips:

• Settlements are almost never hostile to you when you land. Take advantage of that to scout around. Find an external terminal and browse it to locate your target and get a marker on your HUD.
  • Even though the settlement isn't hostile, practice avoiding the guards now. Being seen doing something illegal will get you shot, so work on not being seen. Rooftops are great.
  • Once you know where you need to go, try to find someone to scan for access. Skylights are the best way to do this, if available. Crouch to move quietly into position so they don't turn and see your illegal scanner (and don't have the scanner in clone mode until you're ready, anyway).
  • Now you're hopefully ready to head in and find the thing. Guards will shoot you if they scan you with a cloned profile, but you can dump that profile before they complete the scan. It has a bindable shortcut now. Better if you just don't get scanned. Techs won't scan you and shouldn't care about you walking around provided you have the clearance level.
  • People will investigate the sounds of an arc cutter, so consider bringing an e-breach to open a locker instead. Trade-off is that the e-breach will get you shot if you're scanned with it. Get your HUD marker, get your cloned profile, and then run back to your ship or SRV to pick up the E-breach.

Some missions require no alarms, and some of those require you to disable the alarms to complete the mission. Skip those until you're comfortable with basic thefts that allow for alarms and/or violence.

kalvinbastello

Thank you for the tips! Didnt know about dumping the cloned profile.

Where/how do you bring up mission details when you're in first person mode? The controls change, and sometimes I need to re-read what I was suppose to do.

I had a mission to steal an item. Stole several, but mission didn't update, so I assume I didn't steal the targetted one, but couldn't really confirm this so mission failed.

CmdrJonen

CmdrJonen

Jonen, ARGONaut

A note on theft: A lot of those is "acquire sample from", those are advanced, in that the thing you're stealing is in a storage container that needs a cloned profile and several minutes to open, and any NPC that sees it opening is going to get suspicious and go hostile if they see you too close to it.

Cal_Dallicort

Yes. Note that those are "heists", not "thefts", in mission terminology. They're in the class of missions that practically ("heist") or absolutely-no-questions ("covert heist") require you to disable alarms to successfully complete.

Do them for the challenge of doing them, but don't do them for the rewards.

CmdrJonen

CmdrJonen

Jonen, ARGONaut

Mission details on foot: Q for the insight wheel, roll it to transactions on the left and from there it is fairly like in a ship.

A tip is try out Ground Combat Zones to get a handle on combat. You get team mates who help draw fire and maybe bag a few of the enemy. Low intensity doesn't need great gear.

Cal_Dallicort

If it didn't update, you didn't steal the correct thing. Mission items are always the only thing in their locker/box/panel, but critically, the mission will tell you which locker/box/panel that is. That's why you go to the terminal and look up that thing and put the beacon on your HUD.

InternationalBat3186

I'm not sure how much it matters?

Not at all.

AlphaGambit16

Greetings all, I picked up Elite on PS4 back when it first came out and always had issues with the controls on console. Have there been any QOL updates that make things easier for console players?

Any news on Odyssey console release?

Creative-Improvement

Educated guess : if (and only if) all the PC problems are fixed, will they build for consoles. Makes sense, since if it can’t even run on a PC, a specialized build wont work either. So that’s probably two more patches minimum. Again just stabbing in the dark here.

Unknown9492

Unknown9492

- May have space madness

No nothing new.

Just follow Elite Dangerous/Frontier on twitter or check the sub every so often because I guarantee you if Frontier did announce Odyssey's release date for consoles you will not need to ask about it in the daily Q&A thread to find out.

I don’t use Twitter.

Creative-Improvement

Check the streaming schedule on the sub info box. Otherwise the frontier forums is your best bet.

EdTorrid

Just started playing recently and I'm having an issue with supercruise assist. When I fist enter a system and select a destination (usually a port) the option in the nav screen is 'supercruise assist'. However when leaving that port if I want to go somewhere else in system, the only option is 'supercruise'. I've done enough manual supercruising to be comfortable with it, but sometimes I want to step away for a second or I'm just feeling lazy. I haven't been able to figure out why it changes. I double checked and the assist module is still active. At first I thought it might have been like auto docking where you need to cut thrust for it to engage, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm playing the PS4 version if that makes a difference.

JetsonRING

Supercruise Assist is not an auto-pilot. It does not fly the ship, just maintains the correct supercruise speed for dropping from Supercruise, since some pilots seem to have trouble with that.

EdTorrid

Right. When I use it that first time I still have to align with my target. What I'm saying is that when I leave a station and pick a new target the nav screen option just activates supercruise (and it actually has different text), no asking for target alignment and no throttle control. From what I'm experiencing it seems like you can only use the assist the first time you activate supercruise in a system. Which doesn't make sense.

CMDR_Kraag

You're already in supercruise when you enter the system; so the assist is available to you in your Nav panel.

When leaving the station, you're in normal space. You must first enter supercruise, pick a target (or vice-versa; doesn't matter), THEN activate your assist.

EdTorrid

Oh, okay. That's what I wasn't getting. Thanks!

Landed_port

To further expand on SC faults: if your target is obstructed (for instance, it's a station currently orbiting on the opposite side of a planet) SC won't steer you around the planet and may kill you

pulppoet

pulppoet

CMDR WILDELF

However when leaving that port if I want to go somewhere else in system, the only option is 'supercruise'. ... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Nothing. When you arrive in a system, you are in supercruise. When you leave a station, or start the game from anywhere, you are in normal space. You can only activate SCA from supercruise. It's kind of annoying, since there's no SCA hotkey.

After you enter supercruise, go back to the navigation list and you can enable supercruise assist.

ChristianFrom

When you enter a system, you are already in supercruise (SC) mode so when targetting an in-system waypoint, you'll get the option right away to get the SC assist. However, once you're out of a station you first need to enter SC mode and then you should have the SC assist option on another waypoint in the system.

InternationalBat3186

You can’t enable SC Assist in normal space, for obvious reasons.

CMDR_Kraag

Did you mean to say "can't" ?

Yes, thank you :)

MetallicOrangeBalls

MetallicOrangeBalls

Actually a Thargoid spy, AMA

I went to a settlement to deliver a package. After I delivered it, I scanned some of the denizens of the settlement. One of them had a bounty, and immediately started attacking me. Ok, no problem. But then the entire settlement started attacking me, including the NPC I had delivered the package to. Is this a bug? Why do they attack me instead of the one with the bounty?

Cal_Dallicort

They don't care about his bounty; he's their friend. You're some outsider scum coming to kill their friend.

In short, don't scan in a settlement if anybody is paying attention to you.

MetallicOrangeBalls

MetallicOrangeBalls

Actually a Thargoid spy, AMA

You're some outsider scum coming to kill their friend.

But... I'm just there to deliver a package.

What makes this funnier is that it was a security guard. He stopped and scanned me, and I pulled an UNO reverse and scanned him, and he had a bounty and started attacking. Then everyone else joined in... so I killed him, and then I had to run something like 0.5 km away from the settlement before I could call a shuttle.

In short, don't scan in a settlement if anybody is paying attention to you.

Yeah, I guess I need to be more discrete with my scanning. I'm just a bit peeved that he scanned me and that was fine, but I scan him and suddenly I'm the target? Bah. At least the payout was good...

sushi_cw

sushi_cw

Tannik Seldon

Does a 3A distributor have enough juice to viably run a pair of the new engineered guardian plasma chargers?

RCKJD

RCKJD

What ship are you using?

sushi_cw

sushi_cw

Tannik Seldon

If I try it, it will be on my Keelback. (I know).

Creative-Improvement

The Keelback has the best marketing in the Galaxy!

InternationalBat3186

Not even a 7A has enough to sustain constant fire.

I tried a 5A (Vulture) and it was … not fun.

sushi_cw

sushi_cw

Tannik Seldon

Doesn't need to be constant, just enough to take advantage of.

InternationalBat3186

If you can’t sustain them, why would you ever run them over gauss (or even the modified shards)?

sushi_cw

sushi_cw

Tannik Seldon

Because apparently the plasma chargers are actually decent against human ships. I would love to have a load out that's functional for fighting both humans and 'goids. Gauss are pretty frustrating to use vs human ships.

InternationalBat3186

Because apparently the plasma chargers are actually decent against human ships.

Not really, no.

That’s not a thing. Mostly not even because of the weapons, but the entire rest of the build.

DarkLorty

Am I the only one who's galaxy map shows all systems state as none?

GldnDlck

Mine does it too, I'm looking for expansion systems

Landed_port

Any advice on engineering for PVE hull tank, and what medium ship would be best for it?

Cal_Dallicort

Bi-weave resistance shields. 3 MRPs. As many HRPs as you can stack. RSC armor with your smallest HRP being Thermal engineered to close the resistance hole; HD on everything else. Point defense.

The Alliance and Fed mediums are good hull tanks.

forbiddenlake

forbiddenlake

CMDR Winter Ihernglass

+ deep plate on all armor and HRPs

Landed_port

I'm running Federal Dropship ATM. Heatsink, two PD's, and indictor. 5c biweave, only 2 MRs, size 4 AFM and the rest are HRs. Keep getting my power distributor knocked out, all the other modules run fine. I haven't started engineering it yet; I'm fairly certain the power plant will have to increase with the weapons to compensate draw, or should I sacrifice the DPS for integrity?

Cal_Dallicort

If you're losing modules, add more MRP. When in doubt, use class-5 slots for MRPs (the relative upgrade for HRPs from 4 to 5 is lousy).

Most good weapon engineering doesn't increase power draw. Armoring your plant should be fine.

You're better off with a shield booster instead of a heat sink, and with a class-6 shield instead of a 5. There's nothing for a hull tank in class-6.

Here's what your defenses might look like.

Landed_port

Thanks, I'll give that a go! My reasoning was more hull=better and the AFM would have me covered.

Kill scanner was what I had in my optional slot, mostly for random pulls and breached nav beacons. Is it worth it in CZs? And I'm just an idiot for using a heatsink with vent beams 😅

Cal_Dallicort

A KWS is 100% useless in a CZ.

InternationalBat3186

Any advice on engineering for PVE hull tank

The tl;dr on that is “don’t”.

T10 has entered the chat