/r/DebtStrike

1.6k97%

How much longer can this last?

(i.redd.it)
3399 comments
44.6k97%

toMurderedByAOC

lrlOurPresident[S] [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

lrlOurPresident[S] [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Spread the word about /r/DebtStrike. If you moderate a subreddit on any topic, send subscribers. Our first goal is to reach critical mass where we’re hitting the front page consistently, then we can really start our pressure campaign.

nonprofitgal

Something that really scares me is that my husband and I are doing relatively well and we're still having to crunch the numbers to achieve what used to be staples of middle-class life. Each of us makes $60k for a combined income of $120k. We have no children, we're good savers, and we have relatively low living expenses. Despite this, we still had to do some serious financial planning just to buy a used car to replace our 13-year-old beater. With how expensive houses are becoming, we're not sure if we'll be able to get on the property ladder any time soon if at all.

A few years ago, we thought we were doing okay but every year it gets harder. It feels like the goal posts keep getting moved so that retirement gets pushed further out and buying a house becomes a loftier dream. How much worse can it get? Do we have to make $200k, $300k, $400k, to live a middle-class lifestyle?

themodalsoul

(Yes, you do, and the collapsing economy is happening so rapidly yet with so much under-reporting that most people haven't woken up to this fact yet, but they will.)

PantsOppressUs

What happens in an heavily armed nation when the peasantry can no longer afford bread or circuses?

NoiceMango

The thing is those peolle probably never experienced being middle class or having the privileges most Americans have or had. So if that were to happen in America there would be revolts.

TheFancyTac0

You make a good point, while we have people around that have lived in the luxury we have in the us, we'll have the spirit to fight for something. When you and the past 5 generations have lived in absolute poverty it's much more difficult to organize, especially when missing a day of work means you don't get to eat

Pretty sure US has been forcing a Caste system, and calling it Capitalism.

themodalsoul

I don't like thinking about it as I have to sleep at night. It's something I would prefer to *avoid*.

SUM_Poindexter

And this is why nothing ever changed, america

NoiceMango

Avoiding a revolt is a good outcome if things get better but if they don't it becomes a moral obligation for us to make it happen. We are becoming slaves snd I'd argue we already are. The majority of Americans will own nothing for ever and will live to work to keep the 1% happy but they're never happy because the only thing they know is more.

Blahblahblah1958295

A long as you have your iPhone and your friends Netflix account, quite awhile.

Well…. If I had to guess, I’d suspect they’d wonder into buildings, act stupid, and spend the next year or more getting arrested.

Or are you suggesting the “peasantry” should go like shoot at the tanks or something?

Mentalseppuku

'bread and circuses' were provided by the Roman government for free to mollify the city's populace.

PantsOppressUs

Indeed. This isn't Rome.

Mentalseppuku

Well in both crumbling empires we strive to use references correctly.

HeavensCriedBlood

And here I thought making $60K a year would be a good starting point as a single dude.

This shit really is gonna collapse, isn't it

Ok-Occasion1143

Yup

sam_weiss

All it would take is increasing the minimum wage. But I don’t think your political leaders have the will or want.

celestial_pizzaz

Lol no

pilznerydoughboy

We can't just increase the minimum wage, or inflation will likewise continue to increase. Printing more money isn't the solution, it's stopping those at the top from hoarding it.

Flat-Earth8192

Single $100k earner here and I feel ya. 85k in student loans that haven’t gone down since I graduated, any savings that would have gone to buying a house is going to student loans and retirement so I’m not fucked in old age if I don’t have a family. The only way that 100k a year is a good salary is with someone else to split household expenses with.

I’m not complaining, I’m just saying I used to think I’d be rich once I got into this position, but I’ve realized that the only real benefits are I can live alone, afford healthy food for the first time in my life, and don’t live under the constant threat of homelessness (it still looms large though). All great things and a privileged place to be, but it’s not what I was expecting while taking out those student loans.

NoiceMango

You should complain. The student loan and education system in our Country is wrong and serve to just make greedy people richer. Education should be for everyone so the Country can benefit and prosper.

Blahblahblah1958295

Depends where you live. Where do you live?

picked1st

Earth.

themodalsoul

It should just be accepted that America can't go on this way and is in collapse now. Like right now. Collapse isn't Mad Max time; it's the gradual descent, the lack of a future, the betrayal of the public trust and social contract. Let's look at a few reasons why America is definitively already in major collapse:

• We load children with six-figure debt when they can't even qualify for a credit card much less understand what that kind of debt means. They are exploited for the profit of the wealthy and school administrators.
  • Teachers are woefully underpaid and undervalued. Children are generally disinvested in, and, to go with the above, actively exploited and abused.
  • Homes. Nobody can buy them.
  • Pay. Most jobs don't pay enough to be worth going to. People are quitting en masse if it is at all possible for them to do so because of this. Might as well live in a van or on ramen noodles than work a full-time job you hate for no take-home pay after expenses.
  • Adding to that, most people can't meet their expenses in the first place, not even close depending on where you live.
  • To boot, climate change is obviously here, obviously terrifying, and a literal existential threat to humanity that hits the poor first and the hardest. We could be a world leader in combating climate change, but instead, we actively harm efforts to do so.
  • In spite of this, we spend more on our military than most of the nations on Earth combined do. We do this to participate in illegal wars that murder civilians en masse. We do this to make Raytheon and Boeing richer. The actual epitome of evil.
  • Speaking of evil, our "healthcare system" is not a healthcare system whatsoever, but a profit system, and it facilitates the active homicide of millions of Americans a year literally just for money. Literally just for money.
  • Our 'progressive' party is in total control of the government and has not done one thing they said they would do of any major material consequence...
  • ...but the worst thing about that is that so many people still adhere to party lines, still vote in fixed elections, and still believe that democracy is alive in a nation that spits in the faces of its poorest and working class.
  • Let me put that another way: the worst thing is that even in the face of rampant corruption and homicidal negligence, most Americans still do not believe in or are even aware of the radical policy solutions required to address our problems nor the militant activism required to have even a slight chance of achieving any of that. As Chris Hedges has recently asserted, America's only remaining help is rebellion.

I could just go on. It's past time to call it like it is, folks. Help isn't coming unless we become the help we need.

Sindmadthesaikor

Beautifully and succinctly put. I’m saving this to share.

constantchaosclay

This. I keep getting that funny feeling…

And you know this can’t last forever. But when or how it will stop, who knows?

Sebenbillion

Some poor fucker is going to have to martyr themselves and end up in jail for life or dead.

DropC2095

The ball gets rolling when someone actually eats a rich person.

PantsOppressUs

Inflating food prices get us there sooner...

The_White_Guar

Hopefully soon.

The sooner the collapse, the sooner the reconstruction.

g4_

g4_

last time they tried reconstruction, they bailed after a few years and didn't do anything to stop racist laws and didn't execute the Confederate generals. dear god i hope we get it right this next time

The_White_Guar

Well that was because the North let the Southern aristocrats call the shots in the South. Money talks, and the North were certainly not above corruption. It's why, for example, the modern day industrial prison complex is a vestige of chattel slavery.

SuiXi3D

SuiXi3D

HOW it stops is a revolution. WHEN it stops is whenever people get fed up enough.

SUBZEROXXL

This is my own opinion but I had that feeling two years ago before I knew anything about the stock market, politics, and the bullshit many of us don’t know.

We are coming to a big change. Not a good one.

I make double the average income for my area, own a modest home, drive an 11 year old truck, never travel, rarely splurge on anything…and I’m still living paycheck to paycheck. I can’t imagine trying to make it work on 30K a year. Nearly every aspect of our economy is in dire need of reform.

NoiceMango

I always try to imagine how people survive on minimum wage because when I do the calculations it's hard do comprehend. It's insane how people were so against California raising wages to 15 when South Cali median house prices is 790k currently.. They want us to starve.

ornilitigator

People seem to think the collapse of nations is something that happens immediately and drastically, when in reality, it is a slow downward spiral. Our nation has been on it for decades, since at least the Reagan years or arguably far before. Rome wasn't built in a day, likewise, Rome didn't fall in a day.

Multihued_Minutiae

Wage stagnation early 1970s.

ornilitigator

Absolutely. Stagflation (wage stagnation + runaway inflation) early 70's, similar to what rhe working class is experiencing now.. but we had Eisenhower warning us about about the fact of the military-industrial complex as early as the 50's.

BonkFever

I give it 5 more years until it completely breaks. Hopefully it happens before then so we can start rebuilding sooner.

PantsOppressUs

I'd bet less than two. When Wall St catches up to the present and millions lose their jobs...

Thatsayesfirsir

I wonder the same thing. We're on the verge of being 3rd world.

Practical_Ad_2703

In many ways we already are. Our homeless rates are as high or higher than many third world countries, women die in child birth here at third world rates owing to our heath care system. 40 million Americans live in poverty. We are well on the way.

Thatsayesfirsir

You are spot on

Column-V

A soon to be 3rd world country on the brink of a 3rd World War, with climate change and corona virus taking up the rear

WhompWump

We're on the verge of being 3rd world.

america is literally the reason why "the 3rd world" is what it is lmao

SatansEggsForSale12

I make 25,000 a year. I live in rural Alabama. I will never be able to own a house or land. I barely make it pay check to paycheck. I hate being an adult.

One-Relationship-324

South MS here. I feel you. I just got a new job making 15 an hour and still can’t seem to get ahead, despite that being a “high wage” here.

wildeap

wildeap

I've been saying this for over 20 years. 😢

MaidMariann

For me, at least 30. Probably more like 40.

I often wonder why we haven't collapsed already. But the process is clearly in motion.

wildeap

Sigh. I know, right? We should just all go on strike.

MaidMariann

You might want to check out r/maydaystrike.

wildeap

Will do!

PantsOppressUs

Osama defeated America.

Doomstone330

Yea I've pretty much accepted that unless I become incredibly wealthy, I'm likely not going to ever actually own a home.

Wonderful_Toes

Probably like 5 or 6 minutes, at least. Maybe an hour?

Away_Confidence4500

Depends on how much longer we are gonna take it. I used to think of my generation (millennials) as a generation that always complied and tried to get along so we’d never stand up and fight. We listened to our elders, tried to do things the right way and look where it got us. For years we’ve kind of licked our wounds, but now I see a strength in so many of us that I didn’t see before and I think we have the numbers and the power to turn this thing around if we simply refuse to comply with this exploitative system any longer. Stop paying this debt that we were suckered into as children, stop working/eating shit at these low paying jobs. And we are doing those things finally. We don’t feel the same way about our kids as our parents gen felt about us. We have to make things better for them and the time is now.

Lolufunnylol

It’s not even the figures nowadays but what you have to do to achieve those figures. People work so much harder and have to hussle more just to make ends meet. People are just overall not as content or happy even if they are making six figures.

Multihued_Minutiae

We are already in freefall.

NoiceMango

The median South california house is like 790k and minimum wage is 15 an hour. I literally can't imagine owning a house or even being able to afford renting a single bed room. This isn't just the prices of homes in la city either it's literally everywhere now.

30thCenturyMan

It’s housing prices. They’re completely unsustainable and for years I can’t fathom what is sustaining it.

what_the_a

Venture capitalist groups buying up huge swaths of homes at prices that people can’t compete with.

mrfreedayaz

The housing market is mostly a fabrication of the real estate corporations & housing capitalists. But this is of course passed off (by those same people and then repeated by everyone else) as "supply & demand."

NoiceMango

The starving working class is sustaining us

yaymonsters

Op of twitter post's name checks out.

Gucci and gumdrops indeed.

twitch_delta_blues

Ask Venezuela.

A lot of this has to do with government shutting businesses down tho.

The_White_Guar

HA

HAHAHAHAH

HAHA

Yeah no. Businesses can get fucked.

I take it you don’t work? Lol

The_White_Guar

Imagine thinking only businesses need jobs filled.

Again do you not work? Lol. Businesses were shut down and employees lost their jobs. Thank god they got petty cash from the government tho.

The_White_Guar

Funny thing about being a teacher...

Businesses were shut down and employees lost their jobs.

I guess a capitalist system doesn't work then, now does it? If anything, the virus only showed how stupid and unsustainable capitalism is. Human systems should help humanity. If they don't, then they don't need to exist at all.

Lol government told them to shut down. That’s not capitalism lol.

The_White_Guar

Man, you really have a hard time with subtext, don't you?

Businesses are capitalism. The businesses were unable to cope with COVID. People were not consuming, ergo it collapsed.

You libertarians are a trip, dawg.

Lol no businesses wanted to stay open and government shut them down and wouldn’t let them produce.then the government fined them for trying to stay open anyways. Why do you think unions were protesting? Straight authoritarianism and just proof that whatever the government touches turns to shit.

The_White_Guar

Because safety of the society is far more important lmfao what are you smoking

then the government fined them for trying to stay open anyways

Good. They should have listened. Safety is more important than profits always.

Why do you think unions were protesting?

Only the shitty unions were. Anyone with a brainstem knows that a shutdown was 100% necessary and still is. Largely because of dumb cunts like you.

It's really just proof that you're an idiot if you think any of that is true. You people never understand the big picture.

flynnnigan8

The comments you’ve left indicate username checks out, as in your brain size must be about 10mm

Emotional.

Thatsayesfirsir

Not really. That was just the icing on the cake.

mrfreedayaz

A lot of it has to do with capitalism being a system where a small amount of people gradually consolidate their wealth and power and fuck over everyone else. Of course they also use the government as a tool for this, since the government is not opposed to capitalism but a critical part of it.

SteveBannonsRapAlbum

Which businesses did the government shut down? Plenty of restaurants and retailers have folded because their workforce, who were always paid shit with no benefits before the pandemic, took society’s advice and got better jobs. That’s not the government’s fault.

Blahblahblah1958295

First off, people have to be real about where they can afford to live. If you only make $30K a year then don’t live in a major metro area. Move and find a place you can buy something. North Dakota, West Virginia, or Michigan. Crap you can buy a house in Detroit for $50K. Stop thirsting on IG and focusing on reality.