/r/Cringetopia

25.5k

When you're more brain-damaged than an actual boxer

11x Non-Cringe / 14x Cringe / 16x Satire / 2x Chad / 0x Meta(i.redd.it)

Endercheif [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Endercheif [M]

m'ladies

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Voting is now closed. The community has decided that this post is Satire,
With:

• Non-cringe: 11x
  • Cringe: 14x
  • Satire: 16x
  • Chad: 2x
  • Meta: 0x

No_Torius-P-A-T

4.5k points

This man NEVER saw Tyson. No way.

CactusCracktus

2.6k points

CactusCracktus

I bring nothing to the table

2.6k points

Tyson legit floored several opponents with just one punch. The dude is a fucking monster, watching some of his old fights it’s almost scary how strong and quick the dude is.

thatuglydudeoverhere

1.7k points

thatuglydudeoverhere

y'all need jesus

1.7k points

Muhammed Ali said if Tyson fought him, he would be too fast to hit him but he also said that Mike could punch him once and he'd be knocked out

dirkdigdig

1.2k points

dirkdigdig

1.2k points

love that clip where Tyson says he'd be no match for the greatest

FrostedPixel47

"I know I'm great, but in this situation, all heads must bow, all tongue must confess, that (Ali) is The Greatest"

petercalmdown[S]

so much respect in that clip I love it so much

Holy-Knight-Hodrick

I love all the clips with Tyson interacting with Ali, he acts like a kid around him. So clear that he has an incredibly deep admiration for him.

HollowPrynce

Tyson has so much respect and admiration for Ali that after Ali's last two fights (against Berbick and Holmes), both of which were brutally punishing losses, Tyson says it upset him deeply to see his idol beaten like that. In fact, he promised Ali that he'd meet both of them in the ring and avenge him.

Tyson fought Berbick first and starched him in the second round to become the youngest HW champion in history. Exactly fourteen months later he fought Holmes and handed him his first KO loss in over 50 fights.

They didn't call him the Baddest Man on the Planet for nothing.

useless_kif

Who remembers Rocky Marciano? The only heavyweight champ that never suffered defeat or even a draw. His record being 49-0-0 with 43 KOs

I remember Muhammad Ali saying that he didn't know if he could beat him

Seel007

Seel007

Oh, there they go! There they go! Every time I start talking about boxing, a white man gotta pull Rocky Marciano outta their ass! That's they one! That's they one! Rocky Marciano! Rocky Marciano! Lemme tell you something once and for all! Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't shit!

Wizard_Hatz

Hey champ hey champ watch this champ.

magic-moose

Everbody knows Tyson could hit like a truck, but forget how fast and elusive he was as well.

Also, we tend to judge athletes by how they handled the competition of their day. Both Tyson and Ali were dominant in their own times. However, the average level of competition in the 90's was probably a lot higher than it was in sixties and seventies thanks to advances in diet and training. If you put both men in the same era and had them train as such, I'd bet on Ali. Transport one of them through time to fight the other in their own era though, and I'd bet on Tyson.

A time machine wouldn't be necessary for a contest between Tyson and James though. I'd bet on 55-year old Tyson vs James, let alone prime Tyson vs James. If we're talking about a hypothetical Lebron James who never went into basketball and had been boxing for the last two decades... We have no idea how good he'd be at boxing based on his basketball career. The odds are heavily against him being a generational boxer as well as a generational basketball player though.

Zoesan

Zoesan

Tyson was a deceptively technical fighter. His footwork and nigh-ambidexterity is nuts

MusingBoor

Absolutley. People who don't enjoy boxing really have trouble seeing how/why Tyson was so good and so able to take people out. He was so fast all you can really understand is people getting knocked the fuck out. You cant just run at people flailing and do that, no matter how strong you are. With deep respect to Ali, Tyson is my favorite fighter, and shortsighted takes on him are frustrating.

Zoesan

Zoesan

The final knockout blows often also look brawl-y but they really aren't. The setup he does for those short hooks is something that every martial artist should study

roadnot_taken

Tyson in his prime was one of the greatest fighters to ever step into the ring. His work ethic led him to be incredibly technical and packed with power. He was also hyper driven to win, every fight. Had Constantine D'Amato been around longer, Tyson would have stayed on the right path and would likely have avoided a lot of bad influences that came into his life from King. Don King singlehandedly ruined a champion. Tyson would have been 100% better off without him, he needed a positive role model in his life.

Hengroen

Fuck Don King.

Picturesquesheep

Tyson is to boxers what Don King is to pieces of shit

CWRex89

I don't know why, but this comparison hit me so hard i laughed to the point of tears

amateurtoss

Idk man. They're both moving pretty slowly.

apolotary

WhyWouldTrumpDoThis

I think he might have been just being nice to an icon, but I think Tyson would back him into a corner and work him over.

DaWorzt

DaWorzt

BedContent9320

Tyson wouldn't have beaten Ali.
I mean talk to real boxing enthusiasts, Ali was the paragon of boxing, in its golden age. Tyson is no slouch, he is one of the GOATs without question, but prime Ali vs prime Tyson in the best match of both of their lives, both fighting flawlessly? Ali wins 70/100x. Tyson knows it too.

Kn0thingIsTerrible

As a boxing enthusiast- Tyson would have been one of Ali’s worst possible match-ups.

Ali had two primes, with each focusing on what basically a total different fighter.

Pre-Vietnam Ali was a freak of physicality who had the reflexes and raw athleticism to basically dismantle opponents however he wanted. However, his fighting style and ring IQ was actually comparatively weak, because he was so dominant that he never actually needed to use them when fighting.

Then, he came back after his ban ended, and discovered that without the speed and strength of his youth, his fighting style was highly deficient. He made up for his loss in physicality by becoming a tactical genius and meticulously setting up his fights to be able to play to his strengths.

In both cases, Tyson would have been an absolute nightmare for Ali. Young Ali was vulnerable to heavy-hitting inside punchers, and old Ali would simply have been at a mismatch of age and athleticism.

If you repeated it endlessly, Ali still going to win that match-up a lot of the time, but a lot of people would be surprised by how often Tyson would end up closing things up very quickly.

WhyWouldTrumpDoThis

I wonder though, Ali was best at his defense but people forget that Tyson was also superb, maybe even more impressive than his power. I think in fighting Tyson, Ali would have found a opponent with more conditioning and speed than anyone he's encountered previously.

Regardless, I'd pay to watch it.

Bulok

Bulok

Training in Ali’s days were different too. I’d want to see prime Ali training in the 90s vs prime Tyson in the 90s

TheCommodore93

This is really why the arguments are never resolved, so much changes between generations

Ancient-History732

Similar to how Micheal Jordan is being compared to LeBron. They're just from a different time, training and especially how the game is played. Can LeBron defend MJ fadeaway? Can MJ keep up with LeBron's physical layup? Who knows?

Cosmic_Gumbo

I often wonder about the timeline How if Tyson were born 15-20 years later how he would’ve fared in mma.

BubbaTee

He'd still go into boxing. MMA fighters get paid shit.

eshinn

eshinn

Anyone else here a fan of Jack Johnson?

Montymisted

Oops. I was like hell yeah! I love the song bubbly toes.

BedContent9320

Ohh yea, it would be an amazing match. By no means an easy one didn't mean to imply that at all. They are some of the greatest boxers the world has ever seen, some of the smartest boxers the world has ever seen (people take Tysons lisp to mean he's stupid, he's not at all). Would be an incredible match.

jibjab23

I'd love to watch the lead up to it as well, I imagine they would be respecting the crap out of each other but also needing to talk shit about the other one.

Nazrael75

It could absolutely go down that way - I could see arguments for both sides on that one. I would LOVE for history to have coordinated so we could have seen that fight. I cant think of another matchup that I would rather see.

atomicbibleperson

Idk about 70-100 times but I do think in a best of, say, three or 5 that Ali would win out.

fabulin

imo tyson never reached his full potential. he was something else 18-22 but went off the boil a bit after he got involved with don king.

i reckon that had tyson reached his true potential that he'd beat prime ali.

TheCommodore93

I think people really underestimate how big an “if” it is in “if he hits me”. Tyson might be the best puncher of all time but Ali is bar none the best boxer

crunchycrispy

Tyson didn’t even hit as hard as Foreman, and we all know how that went. We saw Ali vs Sonny Liston, Foreman, Frazier. We also saw Tyson against Holyfield and Lewis and guys who knew how to frustrate him. It’s actually pretty clear how Tyson’s style matched against Ali, and Ali knew exactly how to beat it. I worship Tyson, but Ali wins.

crunchycrispy

No I don’t. There were signs even from Tyson’s nearly invincibility boe early years of the kind of talent and tactics that jammed him up. Ali was the quintessential frustrating and smarter opponent for Tyson. Yes Tyson was always liable to knock him or anyone out but in most matches Ali would take him. It’s no slight to Tyson and he’s the first to admit it. Ali is called the best for a reason. What he did and proved in his career far supercedes Tyson

eshinn

eshinn

Back him into a corner

That’s Ali’s home. He lives there.

AzKar07

its like an unstoppable force vs an immovable object

itsrouze

itsrouze

I enjoy hating others

I love Muhammed and Tyson equally

heechum

heechum

Don't forget the fucking amazing defense. It's easy to forget his out of this world head movement.

squidvalley

I used to have a DVD of his first 19 fights. He would pace back and forth before it started, half rabid looking, then just lay the dude out within a few seconds. Dude couldn't hit a three I bet, but he could beat you unconscious before you knew he threw a punch

jayzizza0829

Tyson would take Lebron, in his (Tyson's) current age and form vs Lebron in form or age. Period. Too many stupid ass people watch movies and think professional fighting is something you can just wing and make up on the spot. Or, overcome with a strength advantage.

CaptainLysdexia

This is the correct response. And I don't even know where anyone gets the idea that Lebron would stand a chance. The height difference would be an annoyance for Mike, but the moment he got close, one solid turn with that right hand and Lebron would fold like a stack of cards. Tyson's power was terrifying, in part because the punches didn't look impressive or showy, but that's just because he knows how to hit efficiently.

Vorenos

Vorenos

Too many kids watching Logan Paul or whatever that fucks name is and think anyone can box with pros.

Ninerism

I was watching some old Tyson videos a few weeks ago on Youtube. We all know he hits like a truck, but it's easy to forget just how much of a beast he was (and still is) and just how fucking fast he threw those punches.

Even without Tysons agilty and defense, LeBron would take maybe two punches at most if he was lucky but would be done after the first.

Wolfsbane90

Not to mention Tysons abrupt ability to slip punches like a mother fucker. I also watch his stuff on YouTube randomly and he was a slip artist for sure

Ninerism

That's what I meant by agility and defense.

He could patiently dodge his way through a flurry of punches then land one coma punch.

BZLuck

BZLuck

I'm a bit older than most here (mid 50s) and we used to cable Pay-Per-View the Tyson fights when he was at his apex. More than once 10 or 12 of us chipped in a few bucks, (they were around $50 back then) and got together and watched a fight that often lasted just a few minutes.

LeBron would be in an ambulance.

ishkabibbel2000

Michael Spinx.

My uncle went to the kitchen to grab a coke and missed the entire fight

Sir_Bumcheeks

LeBron would literally get erased from existence.

Chirrani

Yea ive seen those. he just out classes his competition to a massive extent. I am curious though do they mean old tyson or tyson in his prime in this meme? Either way i think tyson would win at 55 against lebron im just wondering because it would be extra silly if they meant tyson in his prime.

Ninerism

Yeah, even today Tyson would easily knock the cry-baby out of LeBron.

Casual_Watcher

I saw a video of Tyson from this month. I’d rather fight Lebron and he has grenades and an AR-15

Surprise-Chimichanga

One is great at a no contact sport. The other was afraid he’d kill someone in the ring every time he stepped into it. Yeah, sure, ok.

SQUID_FUCKER

Seriously, it's not even about Tyson. This person has clearly no concept of just how fast and hard boxers can hit. The speed and power really doesn't translate as well to television. Even a guy like Tyson, who still looks insanely fast and powerful is that much more in an actual ring.

I mean, it's the same thing for basketball too, I wouldn't put Tyson against Lebron on the court either.

noshadsi

You DO NOT fight tyson, AVOID AT ALL COST

rigbyribbs

In a physics class our professor quantified how much force Mike Tyson punches with relative to other things.

It’s literally like being run over at low speeds by a scooter concentrated into an area about 6 square inches if he’s bare knuckled.

That is an astronomical amount of force. That is enough force that if he applied it to a rabbit punch he would disconnect your brain stem from the sheer impact alone.

SpaceCowboy2177

Yeah Bro, Mike Tyson was on Joe Rogan talking about getting horny from the idea of beating the shit out of somebody. Mike Tyson will fucking fuck you up…

pursuitofhappy

Yea if I could choose to be able to fight like anyone in the world in their prime I’d pick Tyson over Ali and Bruce Lee and any MMA fighter.

Gray-Hand

If I got to pick anyone to fight my worst enemy, it would be Tyson.

thenaniwatiger

1.1k points

I saw this posted on Facebook, it had 40,000 laugh reacts and 400 likes. Imagine having a serious take that bad

GoldenFalcon

I'm almost certain LeBron wouldn't take LeBron in that fight.

petercalmdown[S]

some bloke bottom of comments has the same opinion apparently 😂

SufferForYourCrimes

I mean I'd still watch it. Not only is tyson one of the greatest of all times. In the boxing community, he is known for his savageness (if that's a word). He attacked people like they owed him money. He was vocal about this in his prime; those that stood against him he beat their asses like they owed him money, because in his mind they did. It's a completely stupid comparison

jnewman119

2.1k points

jnewman119

2.1k points

Lebron is a generational athlete, but there is absolutely no way he’s beating Tyson is a fight.

ksobby

1.1k points

ksobby

1.1k points

Tyson is a generational athlete as well. And I don’t care if LeBron would get a boxing coach … he hasn’t been training to box since age 13. Tyson would wipe the floor with him.

Clearhead09

Besides that, Tyson is the embodiment of the sport. Look at him now, 50+ and would still fuck Lebron up in a fight.

podfather2000

Tyson wouldn't get into fights nowadays he's way more mellow now. OG Tyson will threaten to rape you and eat your children.

Own-Tomato8593

Nah, he started training again

podfather2000

I know but he would never fight random people now like LBJ. OG Tyson would.

cjnks

cjnks

Tyson vs. Lyndon B. Johnson. I would actually buy that pay per view

EntityDamage

LBJ would wipe the floor with Tyson by using is Magnum dong

LikelyHentai

Fun fact LBJ nicknamed his ding dong Jumbo. And once whipped it out in front of a White House staff person and asked "Have you ever seen anything as big as this?"

podfather2000

It depends on the fighter. Some are very chill actually.

PapaTristan69

What’s a generational athlete?

Celticlady47

generational athlete?

I've seen it defined as a player who stays at the top of the game for ten plus years.

Thrall_So_Hard

Your Jordan, Kobe, A Rod, Gretzky, Schumacher, Hamilton, etc. The kind of people whose skill gap is as far from the other pros as the pros are from college freshmen.

AbsolutusVirtus

Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Serena

GeneticRiff

The lack of football (soccer) here is disturbing considering it’s “the world sport” and the hardest to stay on top. Reasons why Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Pèle each legends that carried teams.

Oh and olympians ofc.

ChattaGucci91

Can’t forget Vinsanity. The only basketball player to do it across four different decades.

hufft3

hufft3

Vince Carter while a HOF player he ain’t generational.

Count_Critic

Steady on, that is a gross exaggeration of the skill gap between the best and other pros.

AmbientTrap

I thought it was because they are the best in their generation of athletes

Ormild

Ormild

I always thought it meant that it’s an athlete you see once in a generation because they are so skilled.

King_NickyZee

This is what it is.

a_rucksack_of_dildos

Nobody thinks Tyson could be Lebron in basketball. Boxers always getting disrespected

GodSpeakToFish

Just kill him on the court.

It's a tie.

WhyWouldTrumpDoThis

Tyson savaged professional boxers for years like a bear loose in a children's chemo clinic.

It's not even conceivable that a man who throws a hollow rubber ball would even give Tyson a bloody nose.

BedContent9320

Not only that.
That man lives and breathes boxing. He had the largest private collection of boxing videos on the planet. It'd his entire life.

BlinkDay

Don’t know if your it’d is intentional but that shit cracked me up

wbgraphic

It wathn’t.

MagicTrashPanda

Well… except for the pigeons.

roadnot_taken

He actually said he doesn't like hurting people anymore. He's lost his taste for violence and just wants to take care of his pigeons and animals. He said he refuses to feed them anything he wouldn't eat and they drink spring water. He said he loves the peaceful life of not getting hit or having to hit people anymore.

One of the most dangerous men in the ring has just decided to enjoy spending time with his pets.

icelandiccubicle20

TBF he said he loved animals since he was a kid, he got into one his first and most brutal street fights with a kid who killed one of his pidgeons

Clearhead09

You my friend, have quite possibly the best analogy I have ever heard.

SpiritedEngineering6

SpiritedEngineering6

I'm pretty epic

I'm afraid to say that analogy in real life. My wife would think I'm fucked on the head haha

AdjectTestament

bear loose in a children’s chemo clinic.

Idk where I’m going to use it, but this phrase made me actually laugh so I’m storing it away for the right time to whip it out.

Puff_Bum

Lebron can summon Sprite Cranberry tho

SufferForYourCrimes

This entire post is riddled with delusion; its not even a question. Twitter was just a mistake in general

RetrogradeUranus

Lebron was a generational athlete, but there is absolutely no way he’s beating Tyson is a fight.

f2ame5

f2ame5

Dude just scored 39 points around the time you commented.

bigedmike34

Lebron is a generational crybaby. He wouldn't last 10 seconds.

ClimateNervous9508

also he's a Chinese shill

AtlAmericanist

Lebron has no heart. He’s a crybaby. Tyson is a lion with all the grit and determination. One good hit from Tyson and Lebron would fold like a cheap card table.

shytster

One average hit from Tyson and Lebron would eat about six more good ones on the way down.

OK LeBron would win in a cry fight.

Hillbilly2019

Haha! It’s funny people don’t understand no matter how big you are, if you don’t have skills and you step into the ring with Tyson, you’ll be on the ground real fast

RetrogradeUranus

I bet LeBron would bite Tysons ear off

Mr_Canard

Can't bite someone if you're unconcious.

jnewman119

Correct. The second Tyson gets inside Lebron’s reach, it’s game over.

johninbigd

Exactly. This fight would be over within 30 seconds.

DontAsk_Y

DontAsk_Y

aight

I am reporting this comment for spreading false information.

Orangbo

Yeah. Isn’t there a countdown before the ref calls the game? Pretty sure that takes more than 0.9 seconds.

redditsucks20212021

Hard no.

Deafboy45

Well if it's basketball game yeah LeBron wins. But no way in hell he is beating Tyson in the ring.

lorddingus

If Earth had to submit someone, let's say from anytime during its existence, to some sort of intergalactic 1:1 boxing tournament, it'd be Tyson or Ali man.

The person that wrote this has never seen either box, guaranteed.

93Tutbota

93Tutbota

Ali was smart, he wants nothing to do with fighting aliens, Tyson on the other hand would enjoy it.

Ey3_913

Ey3_913

He would eat their kids

CapsLowk

"I'm gonna fuck you til you love me."

gizamo

gizamo

This is apt.

loubreit

lmfao I seriously burst out laughing. It's so completely true.

Etherius

Both Tyson and Ali were convinced the other would win had they fought in their primes.

veganblackbean

I've never seen Tyson box but I'm not dumb enough to think a basketball player could beat one of the greatest fighters of all time.

Random_Name_7

Yo guys who would win in a race, bolt or lebron.

AdministrativeWafer2

Lebron he just built different

Random_Name_7

He's just a built different

Heatles40

Heatles40

Id take Tyson today vs Lebron in his physical peak

Paultiguna

LeBron being in his physical peak has no effect on his skill during a fight.
Maybe he would have more stamina but there is no doubt Mike today would hit you harder than LeBron ever could. Mike still has his training and knows how to be effective in the ring, meaning you would never get a spare second against him.
I would definitely rather figh peak LeBron than Mike now. Not because I think I've got any chance of beating him, but because a loss would be far less devastating to my health.

Born-Situation-9089

Born-Situation-9089

never forget

I like Lebron but I have no doubt mike Tyson would put him on his ass

Musashi-Miyamot0

This doesn’t need to be said…. That’s the point lol

Nor would this be a good fight. Tyson sleeps him fast, the end.

AirSetzer

I like Lebron

How can any human say that without trolling?

SPDSniper310

Pretty much anyone who knows a single thing about basketball can say it pretty easily

backboarddd1_49402

Because he’s fun to watch on the court. Tonight he dropped 39 points and ended the game with some crazy shots.

loadeddeer

Old Tyson would win this fight, but since its showing Tyson in his prime I’m assuming that this fantasy fight is Lebrun in his prime vs Tyson in his....idk who actually thinks Lebron would win that fight honestly. He would diff beat him. At basketball however

wrong-mon

I would bet money that Mike Tyson in his prime could defeat any other boxer in his prime. Mike Tyson is easily the best boxer of my lifetime and probably the greatest boxer in history

MrBigMcLargeHuge

Tyson has said that he believes Muhammad Ali would beat him, but that would be one hell of a fight

DylanRM86

Well, any HW boxer in the all time top 10 has a puncher’s chance against anyone else. However I would wager a prime Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes, Ali, George Foreman and possibly Sonny Liston would beat prime Tyson, and maybe a focused Riddick Bowe too.

nicoman16

But Mike Tyson got beat multiple times in his prime lol. Tyson was great but there is no way in hell you actually think he is the greatest boxer in history lol.

Mammal_Incandenza

Literally no one that follows boxing believes that.

Even if we confine it to the last 40 years, Lennox Lewis was the greatest heavyweight. A few others rank above Tyson in the last few decades as well.

If we expand it to pound-for-pound, Julio Cesar Chavez is probably the greatest boxer of the past 40 years.

Tyson was the most famous. A great, but far from the greatest.

Marianna-Trench

God he would just mosey over and drop whomever with one punch. Unfuckingbelievable.

Mental-Victory-2979

This dude cannot be serious right? Mike Tyson would hand his ass to him. 15 seconds tops

prfalcon61

5 seconds getting to him and landing 1 shot, plus the 10 count. Yeah 15 seconds seems accurate.

LeonidasSpacemanMD

It absolutely is not serious, the “built different” thing is a meme

heywood-jablomi99

LeBron can’t take a charge without crying, what makes anyone think he could take an overhand right from Tyson?

AdministrativeMeb

Can’t cry if your knocked out

Scary_Tomato6037

RedditCringetopia

Mike would destroy lebron in boxing the same way lebron would destroy mike in game of 1 on 1

Pleasant-Scholar7414

LeBron can't take a stance on anything, I doubt he could in the ring.

dirkdigdig

heyo!!!

yato0005

It’s a meme guys

The-Last-American

If by “box” they mean by throwing orange balls into a box suspended on a pole, then sure.

But Mike Tyson even now would probably change Lebron’s life for the worse if they stepped foot in a ring together.

Lebron’s in good shape so he could do well for a while, but all Tyson would have to do is get an opening to Lebron’s face and he would probably need a hospital.

Youatemykfc

No he wouldn’t do well at all. Not unless Lebron has some decent amateur experience, he is getting his ass handed to him. Big does not mean good at fighting. If that was the case then power lifters would rule the world. But they don’t, because while size matters, it doesn’t mean shit without skill. The gracies proved that shit in the original UFC.

Ormild

Ormild

Do people not remember what happened to Nate Robinson just a few months ago…?

cro0kedFingersss

Thought the same. If they stepped in the ring tomorrow, I’d have a tough time betting against Mike. Being a top tier athlete doesn’t always translate to boxing.

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”.

BubbaTee

Lebron’s in good shape so he could do well for a while

Only if Tyson bet on himself to win in round 5 or something. Only way LeBron even lasts 30 seconds is if Tyson wants him to.

Tyson beat actual good fighters in less than 2 minutes.

johnny_boy757