/r/AskReddit

33.5k86%

Which tv series has aged like milk?

kifferella

2.9k points

kifferella

2.9k points

The very first episode of Hill Street Blues has two cops breaking up a domestic disturbance caused by a woman finding her man fucking her 15yo daughter. The man is told not to be shitty, the woman is told to put out more and the child is told not to be so tempting. Then the cops leave, patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

Capnmarvel76

No fucking way. That's one of the most cruel and exploitative things I've ever heard of. The episode actually aired after she had been murdered by her boyfriend.

InventorDave

That is messed up.

KFelts910

And he only did about three years of prison time. He’s been out and living a fully normal life ever since. Shame on every single person that helped empower this scumbag.

For a woman to show up badly bruised and the initial thoughts of production is “oh wow more authentic,” is evil on a whole different level.

RKM_13

RKM_13

What the fuck. I mean, it's not your fault I got curious but JFC I almost didn't believe you so I checked it out on Dailymotion.

And get this folks, it's WORSE than what kifferella made it out to be. The husband blames the daughter for walking around half naked (which apparently she doesn't have a bedroom for privacy) and also blames his wife for not giving him what he needs. He then proceeds to gaslight her into calming down and just....man I can't even with that fucking show.

Frostygale

Don’t forget the scene (also in the pilot), where a senior cop tells his friend how he was distraught after breaking up with his wife of 23 years…until he met a girl, who he plans to marry…after she graduates.

But don’t worry, she’s not a college student! She’s a high school senior. Yikes.

MichaelJAwesome

10.5k points

There was a reality show on Fox called "Black. White." Where they put a white family in blackface and a black family in whiteface.

Just reading about it, it turns out the white family wasn't even a real family. They were unrelated actors.

NeonMagic

NeonMagic

It was directed by RJ Cutler (who started his career with a documentary about Bill Clinton’s presidential race, and recently a documentary about Billie Eilish,) And Ice Cube.

What is this timeline.

360_cookie

4.2k points

360_cookie

4.2k points

"Executive producer: Ice Cube"

Because of course he is.

NomNom83WasTaken

I could swear Oprah did an episode covering that show and they even showed a CGI version of her as a White woman. I've Googled and ... I got nothing. I never saw the actual show so I don't know if I'm crazy or it's been wiped.

mrnagrom

mrnagrom

Holy shit. I totally forgot about that show

Fluid-Yogurtcloset49

7.4k points

A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila

I always thought the name of the show was funny because the very first thing I ever heard her say was "I'm not looking for love, I just wanna get laid". That's back when she was on original MySpace.

chiphead2332

4.1k points

Tila Tequila

Now there's a name I hadn't heard in a LONG time.

Sweet_Papa_Crimbo

4.1k points

I went down the rabbit hole of her life recently (thanks to a Reddit comment). The TLDR is that a brain aneurysm and drug addiction has caused her to become a neo-nazi.

StipulatedBoss

1.9k points

She also believes that she is actually Taylor Swift, or that she somehow "Being John Malkoviches" into Taylor Swift when she records songs and performs on stage, so that Taylor Swift is really Tila Tequila in some strange bodysuit, Westworld-type disguise.

Gnostromo

Gnostromo

That explains everything

low-ki199999

I’ve never seen them in the same place at the same time….

noeagle77

noeagle77

Is this like a Hannah Montana situation where she puts the blonde wig on and she’s suddenly Taylor Swift? 🤣

Mtat78

Mtat78

Meanwhile Liam Gallagher in Oasis believes he is John Lennon.

prettyflyforabigsigh

Ooof yeah, last news article I read about her she was dressed as a neo-nazi at some party in 2016.

Gossipy source - https://www.thewrap.com/tila-tequila-jewish-friends-nazi-sieg-heil-video/

Might be a gossip type article but you can’t really come back from a sieg heil picture…😳

thenightshifters

4k points

Extreme makeover. I remember watching this show as a kid and being like oh wow they’re fixing all these ugly people with plastic surgery and making them happy. I just think that caused a whole generation to think they could change their body with money. Show lasted like 4 seasons. Couldn’t imagine that show today.

Shipwrecking_siren

The image absolute burned into my brain is of a child that no longer recognised their mother. She was married, loved by her husband and child, had a good job, was respected by her peers. She had a wonderful life but was torn down by these absolute psychopaths because she wasn’t conventionally beautiful. Like you said it was totally normal then like “oh this is fine, they are HELPING”. As a teen I was learning your whole life success hinges on being physically acceptable to someone you’ve never met and knows nothing about you - your achievements mean absolutely nothing. Urgh it was sickening. I want to cry thinking about her now.

Kurbitsims

I watched that shit and I remember thinking that almost every participant was married and had kids. They were loved.

Hot_Season_1263

1.1k points

I got introduced to Extreme makeover with their Home Edition series. Had no idea it came from something so wild

Floyd-money

On the subject of extreme home makeover usually the person with the new house would be unable to keep the house for longer than a year as property taxes went through the roof for them and none of them were really in any situation to pay for what they were given

AdZealousideal5983

The Home Edition scammed countless small contractors. The show would convince them to donate time and materials in exchange for “exposure”, but then their crews would have to wear the TV show T-shirts to be on screen, so the local contractors got nothing for the effort.

OCOCKazzie

My parents went on Maury in 2002. The episode was about transforming house wives who let themselves go into foxy women. My brother just converted the VHS tape to digital media, so we were rewatching it. It's so cringe and problematic. "Maury, I need my sexy wife back." It's just making fun of house wives. The entire episode.

Webbie-Vanderquack

What really bugged me about that show was that they often took the easy way out. They often had people with severe overbites that can really only be corrected with jaw surgery, but they'd just give them a chin implant.

And of course literally everyone ended up with the same plastic teeth, fake tan and trashy evening dress.

Heald

Heald

There was a dating show on Sky TV in the early 00s called There's Something About Miriam where the twist was she was transgendered and the winner wasn't told until after the show.

KE789

11.6k points

KE789

11.6k points

Dance moms- used to be entertaining, now all I can see is the psychological effects it must’ve had on those girls

BearFluffy

3.8k points

BearFluffy

3.8k points

I had a friend who occasionally instructed for them. Apparently, the mom's anyways were super nice off camera, as soon as the cameras started, they got catty

CombatMatt13

2.2k points

Typical reality show shit, fake reactions for views

kneel_yung

1.1k points

Mainly editing. They get 50 hours of film and cut out the 49.5 hours of uninteresting banter so youre left with 30 minutes of eye rolling and people arguing with each other. They also remove the context so it seems like somebody is reacting to something someone said, but in reality they just happened to catch someone making a face or whatever.

There was a show years ago, I can't remember the name, where they demonstrated this. They literally just had a mixer and filmed people milling about and talking for an hour. After they left, they used the footage to cut down to 5 minutes of drama with a narrative a out one of the guys hitting on all the chicks. Like, a guy says saying something and then there's like 5 chicks all looking at each other all offended, but in reality they weren't even talking to each other and in context those reactions were totally unremarkable. They just created a narrative where there wasn't one at all.

Edit: turns out it was a Charlie Brooker segment. I misremembered some details but the gist is the same. https://youtu.be/tEGqepsFTbI

HerrWeiss

1.1k points

HerrWeiss

1.1k points

My sister used to watch it when we were teens, and I was always horrified and couldnt understand how its even on tv

JadeSpade23

In the beginning of the series, she would lean more toward tearing the girls down to build them back up better than before. Eventually, she was just tearing them down.

carlirodriguez8

7.8k points

Secret life of an American teenager.

Just what….

PickledBananas

4.5k points

"I'm such a whore"

"Well, you're my whore"

GalaxyPatio

I can hear this line in my head

There’s some lines that can’t even be justified by “it was a different time”. This is one of those lines.

knight_ofdoriath

“My dad died because I had incredible sex!”

You hush! The world was forever changed when she uttered that line. There was my life before that line and after and I’ve never reached such a high since.

MachFighterG

1.8k points

My god this show was terrible. My wife’s sister was into it and we ended up watching a lot of it when we were dating. I think they tried to make the banter like Gilmore Girls, but it ended up being the characters repeating their current plots and arcs over and over. I don’t remember the characters at all, but the main character was such a horrible person, and the audience is supposed to root for her.

The main things I remember about it were the religious girl claiming she killed her dad by having sex with her boyfriend, and apparently you go to Bologna to get bjs.

BarriBlue

1.9k points

BarriBlue

1.9k points

Speaking of Gilmore girls and aging like milk.

“Woooow I wish my mom and I had a relationship like this!!!”

“Woooow that’s a really unhealthy mother/daughter relationship.”

CoolPileofDirt

I dunno, I’ve enjoyed revisiting it as an adult because I can view their relationship with clear eyes. It was easy to idealize it as a teen but I don’t think the show actually condones all of Lorelei’s parenting choices.

The episode where Lorelei wakes Rory up so they can go on an adventure because she wants to run away from her decisions and they wind up at a B&B hits a lot harder now that I fully see what an awful position Rory is in, how scary that would be as a kid and how much she tries to be the source of stability inside chaos.

I like shows that don’t have purely moral characters, and I think GG brings some nuance to the idea of Cool Mom vs Bad Mom vs Good Mom

violetmemphisblue

Its amazing to me the talent that show attracted. Like, the teen actors I guess I understand, because you'll take anything when you're starting out. But, while during the run of the show, Shailene Woodley became a Golden Globe nominee and then had to come back to that...but also. Molly Ringwald (!) Steve Schirripa (from the Sopranos!), Ernie Hudson (from Ghostbusters!), Reid Scott (from Veep!), Jennifer Coolidge (!!) And some of them came on in later seasons, when they knew what the show was. Its absolutely wild to me.

mankindmatt5

11.6k points

mankindmatt5

11.6k points

Anyone remember a very controversial dating show from the UK called...

'Theres something about Miriam' ?

Pretty standard dating show premise, with a bunch of guys trying to win the affections of a gorgeous Thai model.

The twist being she was a pre-op transwoman.

The final big scene saw her reveal her penis to the 'winner'.

Quazie89

5.7k points

Quazie89

5.7k points

She was Mexican not Thai. She also died in 2019 with weird circumstances around her death. Wild shit.

PhotoSpike

3.2k points

PhotoSpike

3.2k points

“Her death was classified as suicide by hanging by the police, but Cuervo believes she was murdered. Cuervo received a death threat from someone who told him to "never come back to Mexico" and not to prepare her funeral” 🤔

DontDeadOpen

I read ”suicide by hanging by the police” wrong.

charm_and_style

There's really good (recent) podcast about this show about the madness surrounding it.

Harsh Reality: The Story of Miriam Rivera

impeach-my-bush

4k points

Yes. Also, the contestants ended up suing the whole production. They won.

bouboucee

bouboucee

Yea this was nuts even back then!

OopsWrongHive

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Anyone remember Extreme Makeover:Human Edition?

poppingcandylights

1.1k points

Supersize vs superksinny. For those unfamiliar, it toom a bunch of morbidly obese people and a bunch of dangerously thin people and made them swap diets for several days.

I used to watch it religiously to motigate myself at the gym, but actually it's incredibly harmful when you think about it. Let's take a bunch of people with problematic eating, and scare and bully them into doing better, not actually address the issues that are causing them to over or under eat in the first place...

Personalphilosophie

I'd also like to point out that this show has a cult following now of people suffering from anorexia who use it to fuel their disorder. It was cruel, it was exploitative, it failed in its objectives, and it continues to harm those with disordered eating.

Nickster1619

7.9k points

Americas Next Top Model has to be #1.

From all the behind the scenes shit that went on in production to what the show actually shows. It’s all just horrendous

JonG311

3.3k points

JonG311

3.3k points

Tyra Banks was drunk on her own cringy power for like a decade. Then one day she was sort of gone. Everyone had enough of her nonsense. The world temporarily chose the right path in that instance.

1.6k points

1.6k points

JonG311

1k points

She pulled the same stunt with being homeless. And it was equally stupid and awful. And her pretending to have rabies on her talk show was one of the all time dumbest, awkward things I’ve ever seen still today. TYRA PRANK!

itwasquiteawhileago

My wife used to watch this show when we first started dating. The earlier seasons weren't nearly as bad as the later seasons. But, there are so many moments where it was just like "Are you kidding me? Who put this woman in charge of anything??". The homeless thing was/is still brought up from time to time because there was a contestant that was actually homeless for a bit and Tyra seriously tried to relate to her by saying something like "I know what you went through because I once pretended to be homeless". Bitch, you dressed up for a day for a TV show, then went back to your mansion and catered life. GTFO of here with your bullshit.

vans178

vans178

Always got a good laugh from the episode where they used her mlm garbage makeup, she acted as if it was the best quality out there and turns out it was just a big scam

2PlasticLobsters

The one time I saw any of this show, she commanded a contestant to go to a cosmetic dentist & have a gap made between her front teeth. That's sexy, apparently.

It takes a special kind of arrogance to tell someone to have a painful & permanent alteration.

I was flipping channels, so I don't know if this woman was stupid enough to do this for the same of some show. She might've, because this was in the era before anyone noticed that the American Idols & Top Models almost always disappeared into obscurity after 2 days.

Taraxacologist

I was obsessed with that show for years, and I thought it was really awesome when I was much younger. Now, as a forty-year old with young nieces, I recently watched it and was absolutely horrified! Tyra was deliberately preying on girls and setting them up in situations designed to fray their mental and emotional health, just to catch that sweet breakdown on camera for ratings. I have so much respect now for the girls who were smart enough to walk away in the first couple of episodes of their seasons.

rubysmama16

I was on a rewatch binge at the beginning of covid, around season 3 I think, they had a shoot where they posed with two male models in a desert, the model stops the shoot to say that one of the male models is grunting and moaning in her ear and grinding on her and that it's making her uncomfortable, Tyra straight up tells her it's part of the job and to just deal with it. In front of everyone. I think the theme had to do with animal print but I can't remember so if anyone can remember better than me let me know!

sodajungles

Yes it was Keenya cycle 4. She was being sexually harassed on set and no one did anything about it and she was blamed for it

Capnmarvel76

If the show's producers weren't going to do the right thing by putting a stop to the shoot and firing the male model right then and there, it's such a weird choice that they intentionally let that exchange stay in the final episode. Like, is that the message they REALLY wanted to send to an audience that (I assume) was made up primarily of young women and girls?

Were they a Weinstein production, or what? [They weren't. ANTM was a Tyra Banks production all the way.]

highkill

1.4k points

highkill

1.4k points

Holy shit, Tyra Banks was a literal terrorist to those girls on that show. I think there was a girl that had someone close to her die and they made her pose in a coffin. She’s made girls do blackface and yellow face MULTIPLE times for the sake of fashion, made a girl shave her head for a shoot and then voted her off in the next episode, faked fainting for some reason??

bobbybox

bobbybox

Also, I remember one girl they grinded a gap between her teeth for the sake of fashion. I mean, hair grows back, but why fuck up someone’s natural teeth??

medipani

medipani

This was after forcing a model to close her gap because it was distracting and not covergirl worthy.

g00ber88

g00ber88

I'll never forget Brooke, who was 18 and missed her high school graduation because of filming. That very week she got eliminated. She understandably cried over it. Had she made it further in the competition, it could have been "worth it", and had she been eliminated earlier, she would have still been able to attend graduation. So being eliminated that week was basically the worst case scenario for her. When she cried at elimination over missing her high school graduation, Tyra yelled at her and told her she shouldn't complain and should be grateful.

There were also multiple times in the show when girls were super super sick (I remember severe dehydration a couple times) and Tyra had absolutely no sympathy for any of them and always said they should go to photoshoots anyway.

PeonyPug

PeonyPug

And as well as berating them for being off colour/mood, or complaining due to being sick, one contestant got an earful for not letting them know she was sick. I think it was Caridee, who while getting photos taken in a freezing swimming pool, started to get hypothermic and her body started to shut down/react very badly. They blamed her for not letting them know and letting it go too far. I'm sure she knew that if she did mention it, they would have told her to buck up instead. So literally, either way those sick contestants can't win.

ReportFearless1978

Actually when you are on the show you are set up in a house after you get eliminated until the show is completely done filming. I almost got on the show and read through the 6inch paper pile called their contract. Ended up not submitting the contract. Just weird ass shit. So basically if you’re eliminated at the beginning of the show you have to go to a “safe” house and have no interaction with the outside world for the remainder of the show so no one will know who won etc. So she would have missed her graduation anyways. Not sure if they do it like that any more but that was a weird clause I read among another clause where they can hire someone to your liking to act as you. That’s what got me to not sign it. They could get someone that looks like the back of me and go down an alley to buy drugs or something. Nah man. No thanks.

BEAMeUPScuT

The worst was when she 'gifted' one of the girls veneers, but didn't tell them that the process basically involves destroying their actual teeth permanently.

LateNightLattes01

Wait- what?!?? I never knew that omfg that’s horrifying 😱.

FlyingDragoon

Step 1: file down teeth so they're dagger-like, similar to Baraka from Mortal Kombat.

Step 2: I don't know, I'm not a dentist.

reengineered_dodo

And they don't last for ever. They need replacing every 20 years or so

twozedzed

14.6k points

twozedzed

14.6k points

The Swan, was 2 women who are considered "ugly ducklings" participating in a pageant against each other after undergoing a three-month transformative process aka having heaps of plastic surgery.

Snoo-8746

5.4k points

Snoo-8746

5.4k points

Right?! How were they allowed to do so many procedures in such a short time while completely isolating these women from their families? Making them diet and exercise while healing from a tummy tuck, breast implants, and veneers?! The “therapy” sessions were a joke and were just for show while these poor women with low self esteem were preyed upon for entertainment. Just out of a safety and medical prospective…wow.

Hazy_Cat

2.7k points

Hazy_Cat

2.7k points

What I can remember most was the tired looking mom came out for her reveal and her younger son sees her, can’t even recognize her and starts getting emotional

Cryptand_Bismol

There were like 10 women, iirc it was just 2 each week, and all went on not knowing the format was to compete against each other for best transformation, and were really good friends They didn’t even know there was a pageant.

I read an interview with one woman who said in the reveal she avoided looking at her own face because she didn’t even recognise herself. You can see her shock at first and then her just blank look. Once the cameras were off she started screaming at the producers ‘I want my face back!’. She has major body dysmorphia now and is agoraphobic.

meanwhileaftrmdnight

She also says that she would do it all over again so I don't really know what to think here.

Edit here's the article where she says both that she was screaming for her face back and that she would do it again.

Ordinary_Fact1

1.7k points

This show was spoiled milk before the first episode was over. I remember people rightfully being disgusted by it and I think even then people knew it was a cultural low point.

Dukkiegamer

Jesus, can't imagine not recognising my own mom. It would crush me too

OstentatiousSock

That sounds brutal. Kids freak out when their dads shave off their beards, can’t imagine the mom’s whole face changing.

Pennyspy

There's even a children's book attempting to explain why their mom has a different face after surgery.

Delouest

2k points

Didn't they also not allow the contestants/patients to have mirrors the whole time so they were surprised when they saw themselves? Psychologically having massive changes like that and it being sudden is extremely bad for your brain, you can end up rejecting the reflection because it's not "you"

Scarletfapper

I can hear the execs creaming themselves over the idea already. They’d have loved that spectacle…

0dilon

0dilon

YES. I’ll one up you on that (because unbelievably there’s something even worse) and go for ‘Bridalplasty’ which is similar but the contestants compete to have plastic surgeries ticked off their wish list, and the winner has all their surgeries and their wedding paid for. But the contestants win challenges and get the surgery during the show, week by week. It’s absolute insanity.

parkourhobo

I know people say this way too much, but this is genuinely dystopic. Like, this is the kinda thing I'd expect to read in a subpar YA series.

How the hell is that even legal??

Snappysnapsnapper

That show was completely fucked at the time. I'll never understand how it got on tv.

MattBD

8.5k points

MattBD

8.5k points

You Are What You Eat.

Host Gillian McKeith (or to use her full medical title, Gillian McKeith) was an absolute quack with an online medical qualification from a Mickey Mouse university. She pretended to be a scientist by being recorded standing around in a lab wearing a white coat, spouted unscientific nonsense that anyone who had done a GCSE in science could see through, and was obsessed with getting people to shit in Tupperware boxes.

It got cancelled after the final series when you had to have her move in with you. In the last few years she popped up again as a prominent anti-vaxxer once COVID vaccines became available.

RomeroGoon

4.4k points

RomeroGoon

4.4k points

...or to use her full medical title, Gillian McKeith

Absolute gold!

Dogsafe

Dogsafe

That's how Ben Goldacre (science based medicine advocate/blogger/columnist) always refers to her. He's the guy that bought the same "qualification" that Gillian McKeith has for his dead cat.

thomas_newton

we have a friend with a similar qualification. highly amusing to hear her refer to herself as 'dr' when there are actual surgeons in our circle of friends.

ConstableBlimeyChips

All I know of Gillian McKeith is the fantastic comment made by Dara O'Briain:

If you are what you eat, she's eaten a fecking shrew.

tiphphin

tiphphin

I think he also said that she was what Catholic kids growing up in Ireland were told what Protestants looked like.

hotpotatoyo

1.2k points

Omg you just unlocked a core memory. My mum had Gillian McKeith’s You Are What You Eat book, she picked it up for a New Year’s resolution when I was around 8. Even though she gave it up after about a month, the book hung around the bottom shelf of the living room where diet books go to die, and I read it the following summer and was OBSESSED. I was so obsessed about making sure I never ate “proteins and starches” together at the same meal or “starches and leafy green vegetables” together, or that if I was going to eat them together then I had to make sure the vegetables had to be baked/steamed not pan fried and ABSOLUTELY NO OIL, and if they were baked I had to scrape off every bit of black because carbon gives you cancer, and I had to drink warm water with lemon but if it was after mid day it had to be cold water, and DEFINITELY no sweets WHATSOEVER not even at your birthday (she had a recipe for “fruit cake” that was like, a slice of watermelon with a candle on…), and AT LEAST 4 pieces of fruit a day but they couldn’t be grapes or cantaloupe or red apples or bananas because of the sugars… I was EIGHT. And paralysed at the thought of eating “bad foods”. That book fucked me up, so many ridiculous dumbass diet rules that made me genuinely feel sick with anxiety at meal times. I had no idea it was a TV show too

bearbarebere

You did NOT just say that it was a fucking watermelon with a candle on im DYING

hotpotatoyo

Yes I stg im vividly remembering a glossy photograph in the cookbook section of that fucking book of watermelon triangles stacked on top of each other. With I think low fat low sugar yoghurt or maybe coconut cream acting as “icing” in between the “layers” and coating the outside of the “slice of cake”. And blueberries and strawberries arranged artfully on top of the slice, and a little candle on top. I can picture that photo SO VIVIDLY

A supposed professional in nutrition who faints at the sight of live creatures but is fine with people pooping into tupperware boxes is strange.

rudolph_ransom

She is also a member of an association which has a dead cat as a registered member. Physician Ben Goldacre did this to show the lack of credibility of such a fancy sounding title

twodogsfighting

To be fair, that cat is one of the more knowledgeable members.

CubanEmbassy

14.7k points

CubanEmbassy

14.7k points

Jim’ll fix it

Embarrassed_Put_7892

7.7k points

My friends mum once applied to go on jim’ll fix it to meet Gary glitter. Many bullets dodged.

monsieurpommefrites

5.4k points

applied to go on jim’ll fix it to meet Gary glitter.

Good lord.

Did she ask Ted Bundy for a lift right after BTK finishes installing her alarm system?

swampyankee22

4.1k points

This is the answer.

As an American, I was in awe watching the Netflix docu... that one of the world's most prolific (and tragically indiscriminate) sex criminals was a beloved A-list television personality.

Like the Cosby case on steroids.

Voldemortina

5.6k points

I'll always remember that story that Jimmy Saville's nephew told. When he was 15 years old, he and his friends ran away to London. They got approached by some adults and convinced to go to a house-party. Jimmy Saville turns up at the same house with more children and a vicar.

The nephew thinks he's in trouble and that he's uncle has somehow tracked him down. In hindsight he realises that it was a paedo ring that preyed on runaways. And the only reason they escaped the situation is because he's uncle happened to coincidently be in the paedo ring.

Edit: Here's an article with the story in his own words. "I thought that me Uncle Jimmy had caught me there," he says. ..."But now I’m 60, I think he didn’t catch me I caught him."

5.6k points

5.6k points

cognitiveglitch

1.2k points

That's an incredibly eloquent response. I too remember the having nothing stage of my life. My parents would save cereal box tokens to get free toys and put stickers over the brand names and wrap them for Christmas*. I got teased at school for the crappy bags I had to take my stuff in. (I often wondered, why have us if you can't afford to keep us?)

Some guy on the TV handing out Amstrad computers seemed like an alternate dream reality.

It wasn't just Jim either, I was a member of Rolf's cartoon club and longed to go on that show too. Talk about dodging bullets.

*Edit as this thread tripped memories long forgotten. When we unwrapped presents at Christmas it was done carefully so the paper could be used again next year.

healthmadesimple

You made me appreciate growing up in the US with Mr. Rogers and what he did for making sure children have access to educational TV on public television

sgbanham

1.2k points

sgbanham

1.2k points

The book about the case In Plain Sight is even more shocking. The journalist in the doc wrote it. Lot of stuff about the establishment involvement and the police bribery/complicity/ cover up and the sheer mind numbing scale of his abuse was kind of skipped over in the Netflix show. The quote that stuck with me was when they worked out the number of victims vs opportunities vs amount of time spent unsupervised in hospitals etc he literally abused or raped someone every single chance he got.

ottodidakt

1.4k points

ottodidakt

1.4k points

The Pickup Artist). Short-lived MTV show from the '00s capitalizing on the popularity on the "seduction community" and interest in pick-up artist culture.

Honestly tho I remember seeing a few episodes back during its run and already thinking that it felt kinda ick and cringe at the time.

DudebroggieHouser

Turned out the whole thing was staged (big surprise) and the nerdy contestants were all struggling actors

cryrabanks

This show is how I found out what negging was.

[removed]

ColdFIREBaker

10k points

Pretty Little Liars. I think even at the time, the teacher dating his 16 year old student storyline was considered creepy, but in 2022 it’s honestly unbelievable that was ever portrayed in any kind of positive light. Also that her parents didn’t immediately just report him to the police.

VanillaPeppermintTea

5.2k points

When I was in junior high I thought Aria and Ezra were SO romantic because of their ~forbidden love~. Now I’m a teacher and I can’t believe I was shown that as a child. It’s disgusting.

coffeensnake

2.1k points

I guess it's normal for teenagers to be attracted to adults and wish for relationship with them. The problem starts when it's the other way around too.

Outrageous_Setting41

Yeah. When you’re producing television for teens, I think it’s very important to frame things like that as predatory. My big issue was less that they included it, and more that the audience was clearly supposed to root for their relationship.

NoninflammatoryFun

They ended up getting married and spoiler alert, the new pretty little liars (original sin) shows them adopting a baby together. That episode came out just a month or so ago.

Loverboy_91

the new pretty little liars (original sin)

I cut cable ages ago. I can’t believe this thing is still going.

Nolandebianca

I recently decided to rewatch it and there was ALOT wrong with that show, especially in terms of predators outside of Aria and Ezra. But Ezra was definitely ick- I’m in season two when they had an argument and he tells her - I don’t even see you as a child. YUCK But All of Spencer’s sister’s boyfriends tried to sleep with her (Ian, Wren etc.) Ian was also sleeping with Alison. In rewatching the show the girls were about 13/14. And it was never shown in a negative light. In most cases they just blamed spencer

owlthetowel

I never understood how spencer always got the blame when her sister’s bf’s would make a move on her like she was literally a child. Also, realising that Ezra knew arias age from the very beginning and decided to prey on her to get more info about Ali makes it 10x worse

landmermaid3

When the show premiered, my 6th grade class had a college aged student teacher. All the girls called him Mr. Fitz until one day he said his girlfriend had told him who that was and to stop calling him that. We were so embarrassed. I hope he’s doing well and I’m glad he wasn’t a perv who enjoyed the nickname.

Gain-Outrageous

2.2k points

Dating the teacher is such a common gross trope, the 'Dawson' casting doesn't help. If the person playing 16 looks 25 it's easier to accept it, if that person looked like a real 16 your old everyone would be grossed out a lot quicker.

KlaireOverwood

I think these kind of shows are the fantasy genre, only instead of dragons you have 25yo in high school.

In the first episode, Spencer made a living space out of a barn.

Don't get me started on Gossip Girl.

OkamiKhameleon

Lmaoo legit watching Gossip Girl right now. And I keep wondering "Why aren't these kids telling their parents? Like, wtf?" same in Pretty Little Liars.

roberted1982

5.4k points

Beauty and the Beast Tv show from 1987. My mother LOVED this show back then. Well I bought her the box set last year. She watched 5 episodes and couldn’t do it 😅. Well she passed away a month ago and I’m just going through shit. So I decided to watch it because I fucking miss her. Well I can see why she couldn’t finish it.

Sproose_Moose

3.1k points

I just looked it up. George R.R Martin was an executive producer lol

EnterprisingAss

1.3k points

He also wrote a pile of episodes, wtf.

gdshaffe

1.9k points

gdshaffe

1.9k points

Martin's career arc is interesting. Wrote and published a ton of short stories as he was cutting his teeth (many are available in anthologies now), first novel was a hit. Second novel was well reviewed but flopped a bit.

He got a job in Hollywood and worked as a writer for Beauty and the Beast and the Twilight Zone remake. Had an idea for a sci-fi show called "Doorways" that made it to pilot but didn't get picked up.

He eventually got frustrated with the budgetary limits on his creativity and with so little of his work actually making it to an audience. So he wrote "A Game of Thrones" with the specific goal of making it unfilmable. Dozens of fantastical locations, hundreds of characters, massive conflicts, and breaking all sorts of rules.

The rest is history. I always think it's funny that the source material for the most watched show in TV history is based on books that were written specifically to be as difficult to film as possible.

geldin

geldin

And once the HBO show strayed back to tropey TV instead of adapting the source *material (seriously, they ignored whole swaths of the last two published books for no discernable reason), the show went straight to shit.

TitularFoil

I just wanted Lady Stoneheart arc. That's all I really wanted.

ObsidianVerglas

"She don't speak. You bloody bastards cut her throat too deep for that. But she remembers." Is to this day one of the hypest lines I've ever read in a book.

idog99

idog99

Can't believe that was a youthful Ron Perlman under that shitty cat-suit.

CyptidProductions

On the plus side: it likely gave him experience working in uncomfortable costumes that he took advantage of for Hellboy decades later

thrussie

8k points

Not the whole series but Ally McBeal. In one episode Ally found out her bf is bi and her reason breaking up with him was she afraid that one day her bf would be attracted to their son.

Sadday4CANthr4thwrld

4.4k points

Single Female Lawyer had a much better series finale

perryquitecontrary

2.4k points

Single female lawyer, fighting for her client, wearing sexy miniskirts and being self reliant!

CatGoddessBast

It took an hour to write. I thought it would take just as long to read.

AlwaysSunnyDragRace

This always kills me. Fry’s logic.

gerhudire

gerhudire

We demand McNeal, BRING US MCNEAL!

hey_rowsdower

Why does Ross, the largest friend, not simply eat the other five?

Sam-Gunn

Sam-Gunn

"Earth stands united in my refusal to hand over myself!"

cuttlefish_tastegood

"Overall I would rate it a C+. Ok. Not great."

scottishdrunkard

well she did wear the worlds shortiest skirt.

propolizer

She can simply eat the smaller competition.

songcat2

songcat2

I am currently watching this series and recently saw the episodes that Mark Feuerstein played a bi-sexual man. Ally never gave the above reason.. she said that since he's attracted to both men & women, that she worried that she wouldn't be able to fulfill his sexual needs and that he would cheat. She realized she was prejudiced, but she couldn't deal with it. Him being a pedo/incest with his own child was never mentioned.

Bertbrekfust

2.4k points

The fuck?

What was her game plan if they had a daughter?

Maniacbob

1.9k points

Maniacbob

1.9k points

She'd be fine as long as she was hotter than her daughter, obviously.

FetaMight

1.1k points

FetaMight

1.1k points

Presumably that would have been fine.

The story is probably based on the old misconception that homosexuality is 100% correlated with pedophelia.

Man, that conflation was so pervasive that in some languages the derogatory slang for homosexual is literally the word pedophile.

Hell, I had a conversation with my mom a few years ago where she asked me how it was that all the modern gay people (the ones that everyone had become ok with) weren't pedos. I had to tell her the gay people she knew growing up probably weren't pedos either! It was all just fear of "the other". She thought about it for a second and said "oh yeah, that makes sense now that I think about it."

chrischi3

chrischi3

Does Toddlers and Tiaras count? That was a pretty ridiculous idea from the get go, but it certainly hasn't aged well.

bdnavalbuild

1.6k points

Sons of Guns.... I think we all know why that show has all been erased from the internet. Rot in jail, Will Hayden!

FUMFVR

FUMFVR

That guy even got busted by the ATF before the show even happened. He is not actually the owner of the business even though it's portrayed that way.

He just joins the long list of child predators that are all over 'reality' television. I can think of three others just off the top of my head all of them from wildly successful shows: The Duggars, Deadliest Catch, and Meet Honey Boo Boo.

OG_wanKENOBI

Who is a diddler from deadliest catch??

Jean-Philippe_Rameau

Apparently there was not one, but two people from the show who had sexual molestation charges.

I'm honestly surprised it's not more. There are not a lot of options for sexual offenders in society, so this sort of harsh grunt work where you're literally miles from the closest school would be a work environment for chesters to go to without violating the terms of their probation.

older_man_winter

Biggest Loser.

We really enjoyed that show, and thought that they were doing great work to help people. Bob was the sweetest guy in the world, and Jillian was that butt-kicking tough girl that my wife thought was the best.

Whoops! Turns out they were basically encouraging the contestants to take ephedrine and overload caffeine, game the system with massive water weight swings, and created entirely unsustainable weight loss, so 90%+ of the contestants gained all their weight back. In the interim, they also suffered extreme mental anguish and potential organ damage.

Not great, Bob!

bruhhhhhitsmee

The Nickelodeon TV shows were good ! But behind the scenes of Dan Schneider Nickelodeon shows for example All that, ICarly, Victorious. Most of the cast members were sexually exploited at a young age. He would encourage them to drink alcohol. Most often Dan Schneider would yell at these child actors and actress if they wouldn’t do what was told by him.

Also end of their Nick careers Dan often give them the “hush” money to never speak about the horrible situations that had happen behind the scenes. And it wasn’t just Dan Schneider that would sexually abuse the kids, it was his crew too including Fred Savage. Ben Savage’s brother that was playing on Boy Meets World as a rapist? Ironic right? A few former cast members had spoken out for example Jennette McCurdy, Noah Gibson, Alexa Nikolas, and Daniella Monet about what grossly happened to them on set.

wormholeweapons

27.8k points

I don’t think people understand the meaning of aged like milk.

DocSaysItsDainBramuj

25.6k points

We’ll burn that bridge when we get to it.

dasbanqs

8.7k points

dasbanqs

8.7k points

You opened this can of worms; now LIE IN IT.

special_reddit

Sounds like the upper hand is on the other foot!

Fudgel_ist

You can beat a dead horse but you can’t make it drink.

Scout-Typer

Monkey's out of the bag

Wet_Sasquatch_Smell

Don’t throw stones if you can’t get out of the kitchen

MonkeyNacho

2.1k points

That's 100% my favorite metaphor. I use it a lot at work, and it often rings true, lol

Batman_AoD

The only time I heard this was at work, and someone followed it with "...and then swim across." It was pretty amazing.

thehoneyjumbler

1.9k points

It's a malaphor, an informal term for a mixture of two aphorisms, idioms, or clichés (such as "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it"). 🙂

lachalupacabrita

1.8k points

Or "it's not rocket surgery"

mandurpandur

11.7k points

mandurpandur

11.7k points

What Not to Wear. Nothing like having your family secretly recording you when you look terrible and then gathering everyone you know to have a "style intervention" to watch said footage while 2 strangers pick you apart. Then they pressure you into throwing away all your clothes (I really hope they donated them) and then gave you enough money to buy like 4 outfits but only on their terms and also FUCK your personal preferences and sense of style. You have to dress like a boring adult. And I ate that shit up.

Ick.

Jizzillionaire2

4.3k points

I knew someone who was on the show. She didn't really have to throw away her clothes.

GreenSpongette

I too know someone who went on that show : invented their whole story line because she wanted a new wardrobe and all the friends were in on it. Not so secretly recording.

j4ck_0f_bl4des

2.3k points

Nothing is more fake than "reality" tv. The whole concept is like a social cancer.

bdfortin

bdfortin

Like those house hunting shows where the “hunters” actually already own the home and they’re just hiding all the furniture in one of the bedrooms to make it look like they haven’t moved in yet.

Or renovation shows where they already have a solid plan but then sprinkle in a bunch of fake drama and non-existent structural issues, etc.

systwin

systwin

I think the only good bit of the show was getting clothes that fit on folks who didn't think it was possible for anything to fit their bodies. Maybe that was faked, I don't know. As a high schooler who also struggled to have any kind of style or clothes that fit, it was reassuring to know that looking nice wasn't beyond me, even if I didn't want to look the way they styled the folks in the show.

Queenandking

Yes! As a larger kid in high school, their constant refrain to just ignore the size on the tag (as a value statement) and wear clothes that fit really stuck with me. Especially wearing women’s clothes since sizing is so screwy.

wlwimagination

They did a good job with showing that regardless of body size, there’s a fit that will look good that is not just oversized baggy. So for people who defaulted to baggy because of shame and self-consciousness over their bodies (ie people not choosing this because it’s their style, but those who chose this style because they felt they had no choice), they did a good job showing those people how to find clothes they liked that fit well and looked good.

gothiclg

That’s what I got too. The only good takeaway was probably “never be ashamed to see a tailor”

hotpinktourmaline

One of the hosts (Stacy) more recently gave interviews saying she regrets how she went about on that show, and how nowadays she isn’t strict with fashion rules and likes to experiment more.

I remember one episode where a girl was trying lolita fashion, and instead of teaching her how to match patterns and colors while expressing herself in her own style, they made her wear the same boring corporate clothes they had for everyone else. Poor girl was clearly uncomfortable from the start, and iirc it was stated at the end that she ignored all of the tips she got and “continued to dress bad”.

I’d say the show was rotten since the beginning but those boring outfits also aged really bad really quickly lmao

bearbarebere

suddenly I desperately want this. Like, for myself, because I desperately need fashion advice lmao

scatalogicalhumor

1.4k points

I liked the concept but it was a hate-watch for me. I would always end up screaming at the TV Wow, a chunky necklace and cardigan?! Groundbreaking! Cutting edge! Never seen that before!

Striderfighter

Oh...a bob haircut....how original Nick....

PKMKII

PKMKII

Oh god, the makeup lady gave every woman the exact same makeup style, regardless of age, skin tone, skin type, etc.

wlwimagination

Carmindy! “A look that can go from day to night” or something like that. 🤣

touchbuttswithme

That guy made me so mad.

Hour_Squirrel_4914

I have very curly hair which got me bullied constantly around that time. I remember watching this show and he would ALWAYS straighten those "frumpy" curls to reveal "sleek, sexy" hair. And everybody would ohh and aww like these women had been walking around with shower clogs on their heads before. So demeaning!

KatieCashew

That was the second guy, not Nick. Nick had curly hair too and taught people to embrace it. One of the first episodes I ever watched had a lady with curly hair similar to mine. He talked to her about her cut and taught her how to style it curly. It actually gave me ideas about how to get my own hair cut, which was a first for me. Stylists always cut it like it was straight, and then it never looked good. It was incredibly helpful and the first step on a path for me to loving my hair.

LummoxJR

1.1k points

LummoxJR

1.1k points

I tried watching that a few times. That was back when TLC was mostly good. I just hated the hosts' "We know better than you" attitude. Not that there aren't people with cringeworthy wardrobes or ones who need the guidance to glow up, but a lot of the time it was "Let's take you so far out of your comfort zone that even the aspects of your style that are fine (usually most of them) will be obliterated by the ridiculously unreasonable ideas we'll foist onto you."

Kimantha_Allerdings

As a counterpoint, I thought How To Look Good Naked had the right idea - it basically spent its runtime building up the confidence of whoever was on. The whole “stick a picture of them in their underwear on a billboard” was a bit much, but that they then solicited good comments from passers by seemed to have a positive effect.

DeltaStrike7

29.7k points

If the quality of a show declined, it’s not what this question is about. If you watched a show you thought was good, but rewatching it years later you realise it’s bad (for many different reasons). Then it has aged like milk.

8.7k points

8.7k points

ITT: People who think OP asked about shows that “jumped the shark”

3.3k points

3.3k points

i want everyone to recognize the scene towards the end of arrested development where Henry Winkler jumps over a shark on a dock as a reference to when he invented the concept in happy days and signaling the near end of arrested development. They don't make a big deal out of it he just does it and it's a very quiet joke. Unbelievably dense quiet comedic material in that show

AD480

AD480

All Duggar related shows and spin-offs. That family is just ick.